|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Child-Keeping.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
2. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) Because they asked her too.
(b) To protect identities.
(c) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(d) To protect them from the mainstream.
3. What is the Jackson family's average income?
4. Who said that without the help of kin a family may not be able to survive?
5. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
(a) Popular stereotypes.
(b) The status quo.
(c) That they are unreliable.
(d) That they are unwilling to get ahead in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
2. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
3. When 188 mothers were surveyed on who they would choose to raise their children if they died, who was the second choice?
4. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
5. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)