|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: The Black Urban Poor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
(b) The nature of the American economy.
(c) Economic stress and discrimination.
(d) Lack of resources.
2. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To take care of the children.
(b) To protect the people of the community.
(c) To prevent biased research studies.
(d) To prevent discrimination.
3. How many families was Stack introduced to in the beginning of her study?
4. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) While babysitting for a friend.
(b) In the grocery store.
(c) At her university.
(d) While doing laundry.
5. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To get a hand up.
(b) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
(c) To be more social.
(d) To gain friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
2. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
3. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
4. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
5. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)