|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: The Black Urban Poor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
(a) White families.
(b) Their past culture.
(c) Mainstream society.
(d) The status quo.
2. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(b) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(c) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(d) John and Sylvia Waters.
3. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
(a) It is necessary to survive.
(b) Because of their relationship.
(c) Because of the kins neediness.
(d) They are viewed as greedy if they don't.
4. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
5. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As family.
(c) As an outsider.
(d) As a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
2. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
3. How did Stack protect the identities of those she interviewed?
4. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
5. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)