|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fulghum's neighbor say he puts up with Fulghum's yard?
2. When Fulghum is talking about the stuff that is found in our homes, what kind of chunks does he say are found in the stuff?
3. Fulghum explains that his real estate agent means a shack with a view when he says what word?
4. In Chapter 26, Fulghum talks about playing giants, wizards, and dwarfs with how many children?
5. What was the total population of the earth during the time of Julius Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
2. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
3. In Chapter 36, what are some of the deadly mixtures that Fulghum and his newfound stranded friend discuss?
4. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
5. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
6. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
7. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
9. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
10. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Washington is mentioned a couple times in the book as Fulghum's neighbor. Fulghum and Mr. Washington seem to share a strong bond even though they have a lot of differences. What are some of Robert Fulghum's and Mr. Washington's differences? What kinds of things bond the two neighbors together? Why do you think these two neighbors were such good friends? Do you think Mr. Washington saw the simple things in life as Robert Fulghum does? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)