|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shoes was the man wearing who had a car with a dead battery?
2. What is the name of Fulghum's uncle who drives the old pickup truck in Chapter 17?
3. In Chapter 27, Fulghum says his wish for Christmas is that he wants to be how old for an hour?
4. When the grumpy-looking man picks up his little gift and starts to walk toward the garbage, Fulghum mentions that it looks as if the man is carrying what?
5. The man who has a car with a dead battery says he took another class the same time as his auto mechanics class. What class does he say he took at the same time as his mechanics class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
2. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
3. Describe Fulghum's relationship with his neighbor Mr. Washington that is discussed in Chapter 18.
4. Describe Larry Walters' contraption that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 38 and what he has with him as he floats over Los Angeles.
5. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
6. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
7. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
8. Describe Fulghum's ride home in an ancient pickup truck in Chapter 17.
9. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
10. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Washington is mentioned a couple times in the book as Fulghum's neighbor. Fulghum and Mr. Washington seem to share a strong bond even though they have a lot of differences. What are some of Robert Fulghum's and Mr. Washington's differences? What kinds of things bond the two neighbors together? Why do you think these two neighbors were such good friends? Do you think Mr. Washington saw the simple things in life as Robert Fulghum does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)