|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age does Fulghum claim he was before he knew that people even cleaned gutters and downspouts?
2. What color of Mercedes does Fulghum claim feels like him?
3. In Chapter 30, what does Fulghum claim he filled his class room ankle deep with?
4. How much does the boy charge who asks to rake Fulghum's yard?
5. What is the name of the band that plays in the tavern that Fulghum talks about in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
2. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
3. Describe Fulghum's ride home in an ancient pickup truck in Chapter 17.
4. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
5. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
6. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
7. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
8. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
9. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
10. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum seems to include a lot of humor with his stories and life lessons. Why do you think humor is so important in solving problems and dealing with life? How do you think Fulghum uses humor in his writing and in dealing with life? What kind of person do you see Robert Fulghum as being? Why? What evidence from the stories brings you to this conclusion? How do you think Fulghum feels about his friends and family? Does he use humor in most his dealings with neighbors and family? If so, do you think this helps his dealings with his fellow man? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)