|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fulghum claim is a blow to his self-image in Chapter 34?
2. What is the name of the deaf boy who asks to rake Fulghum's yard?
3. In Chapter 18, what is the name of Fulghum's neighbor who lives up the hill from him?
4. In Chapter 30, what does Fulghum claim he filled his class room ankle deep with?
5. How old were the two cousins that Fulghum remembers riding home with in the back of a pickup truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
2. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
3. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
4. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
5. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
6. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
7. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
8. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
9. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
10. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Fulghum's book, he mentions that as he gets older his credo, or list, has gotten shorter. Why do you think Fulghum spent so much time, effort, and paper keeping track of all his thoughts and personal feelings when he was younger but now feels he does not have to do that anymore? Why do you think Fulghum chose the stories he did to be included in his book? Do you think all Fulghum's stories teach different lessons, or are there some stories that reemphasize what Fulghum has already concluded? Explain your reasoning, and use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)