|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Beethoven completely deaf?
2. What is contained on the tablet that is in the British Museum that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 32?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 35, Fulghum states that he doesn't kill what?
4. In Chapter 27, Fulghum tells the reader that he knows what he wants for Christmas and he's known since he was forty. What is it that Fulghum wants?
5. What did the man in Chapter 16 claim was the biggest irony of all during his theory testing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry Walters' contraption that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 38 and what he has with him as he floats over Los Angeles.
2. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
3. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
4. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
5. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
6. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
7. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
8. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
9. Describe Fulghum's ride home in an ancient pickup truck in Chapter 17.
10. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum seems to include a lot of humor with his stories and life lessons. Why do you think humor is so important in solving problems and dealing with life? How do you think Fulghum uses humor in his writing and in dealing with life? What kind of person do you see Robert Fulghum as being? Why? What evidence from the stories brings you to this conclusion? How do you think Fulghum feels about his friends and family? Does he use humor in most his dealings with neighbors and family? If so, do you think this helps his dealings with his fellow man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum say is the perfect cure for feeling depressed and down about yourself? Why does he feel this solution will help? How does this solution help him? How do you feel about this solution, and do you think it would help you if you were feeling down? Why or why not? Do you think Beethoven was able to defy his deafness by creating such wonderful compositions? How do you think he was able to overcome his developing weakness? Do you think Beethoven thought of how inspirational his works would be to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum speaks of his lawyer friend who says that we should just be and that life is all crap and it's all lies. Why do you think his friend feels this way? Why do you think someone who has been through so many experiences in life still thinks that his philosophy on life is wrong? Do you think Fulghum believes that life is "all crap" and that we should "just be"? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum's lawyer friend is being cynical about life, or is he being more skeptical? Explain your answers, and use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)