|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shoes is the Indian wearing who enters the tavern?
2. In Chapter 16, what is the name of the man who tested the theory that you can't trust anyone?
3. In Chapter 23, when Fulghum finds out that his barber has left, what does Fulghum say it feels like?
4. When the grumpy-looking man picks up his little gift and starts to walk toward the garbage, Fulghum mentions that it looks as if the man is carrying what?
5. When Fulghum is talking about the stuff that is found in our homes, what kind of chunks does he say are found in the stuff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry Walters' contraption that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 38 and what he has with him as he floats over Los Angeles.
2. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
3. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
4. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
5. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
6. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
7. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
8. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
9. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
10. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum say is the perfect cure for feeling depressed and down about yourself? Why does he feel this solution will help? How does this solution help him? How do you feel about this solution, and do you think it would help you if you were feeling down? Why or why not? Do you think Beethoven was able to defy his deafness by creating such wonderful compositions? How do you think he was able to overcome his developing weakness? Do you think Beethoven thought of how inspirational his works would be to others? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)