|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shoes was the man wearing who had a car with a dead battery?
2. In Chapter 27, Fulghum speaks of a grumpy-looking man who has come down with a full-blown case of what?
3. What is contained on the tablet that is in the British Museum that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 32?
4. In Chapter 26, Fulghum talks about playing giants, wizards, and dwarfs with how many children?
5. What does Fulghum claim is a blow to his self-image in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
2. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
3. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
4. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
5. In Chapter 36, what are some of the deadly mixtures that Fulghum and his newfound stranded friend discuss?
6. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
7. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
8. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
9. Describe Fulghum's relationship with his neighbor Mr. Washington that is discussed in Chapter 18.
10. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Fulghum ends his book the way he does? Does that help the reader reach a conclusion, or does it leave the reader hanging? Was this Fulghum's intention? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum could have ended his book any other way? If so, how? If not, why do you think this was the most effective ending?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Washington is mentioned a couple times in the book as Fulghum's neighbor. Fulghum and Mr. Washington seem to share a strong bond even though they have a lot of differences. What are some of Robert Fulghum's and Mr. Washington's differences? What kinds of things bond the two neighbors together? Why do you think these two neighbors were such good friends? Do you think Mr. Washington saw the simple things in life as Robert Fulghum does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)