|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony does Fulghum want to play?
2. In Chapter 26, Fulghum talks about playing giants, wizards, and dwarfs with how many children?
3. What city did the man test the theory that no one can be trusted in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Fulghum's neighbor say he puts up with Fulghum's yard?
5. What does Fulghum claim is a blow to his self-image in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
2. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
3. Describe Fulghum's relationship with his neighbor Mr. Washington that is discussed in Chapter 18.
4. Describe Larry Walters' contraption that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 38 and what he has with him as he floats over Los Angeles.
5. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
6. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
7. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
8. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
9. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
10. In Chapter 20, what kind of people does Fulghum say he lives in awe of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Robert Fulghum talks about his wife and a little bit about their relationship. Describe Robert Fulghum and his wife's relationship. Would you consider Fulghum and his wife's relationships a good one? Why or why not? How does Fulghum feel about his wife? How do you think Fulghum's wife feels about him? Why? What kind of dynamic does this bring to Fulghum's stories? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Of all the stories that Fulghum tells in his book, what are your three favorite stories and why? Explain the reason for picking each one of these stories and why you are drawn to it. How do you think these three favorite stories of yours changed Fulghum's life? Do you think Fulghum changed at all during the events of these stories, or did he ponder and change afterward? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)