|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tavern that Fulghum talks about visiting in Chapter 35?
2. In Chapter 31, Fulghum claims that Beethoven defied his fate with what?
3. When the man in Chapter 16 was testing his theory on whether you can trust people, how many taxi drivers out of thirty-seven cheated him?
4. What part in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony does Fulghum want to play?
5. When Fulghum is talking about the stuff that is found in our homes, what kind of chunks does he say are found in the stuff?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
2. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
3. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
4. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
5. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
6. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
7. Describe Fulghum's relationship with his neighbor Mr. Washington that is discussed in Chapter 18.
8. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
9. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
10. In Chapter 36, what are some of the deadly mixtures that Fulghum and his newfound stranded friend discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Fulghum ends his book the way he does? Does that help the reader reach a conclusion, or does it leave the reader hanging? Was this Fulghum's intention? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum could have ended his book any other way? If so, how? If not, why do you think this was the most effective ending?
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum speaks of his lawyer friend who says that we should just be and that life is all crap and it's all lies. Why do you think his friend feels this way? Why do you think someone who has been through so many experiences in life still thinks that his philosophy on life is wrong? Do you think Fulghum believes that life is "all crap" and that we should "just be"? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum's lawyer friend is being cynical about life, or is he being more skeptical? Explain your answers, and use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)