|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franklin retort to the bystander who asked what good the balloon was?
2. How old were the two cousins that Fulghum remembers riding home with in the back of a pickup truck?
3. Fulghum keeps a list of mysteries that he doesn't understand. One of the mysteries that Fulghum talks about is about how one wheel has a mind of it's own on what?
4. What city did the man test the theory that no one can be trusted in Chapter 16?
5. At what age was Beethoven completely deaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
2. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
3. In Chapter 36, what are some of the deadly mixtures that Fulghum and his newfound stranded friend discuss?
4. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
5. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
6. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
7. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
8. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
9. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
10. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Fulghum discusses Mother Teresa. Why do you think the author waits until the end of the book to tell his story about Mother Teresa? Does her story help conclude Fulghum's book in any way? Why do you think Fulghum says that Mother Teresa has "profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time"? Fulghum even goes as far as to say that she drives him crazy. Why do you think he sets up her story in this manner? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
This book is a collection of some of Robert Fulghum's essays and stories as told from his perspective. How do you think Fulghum's perspective on some of these stories affected the way it was told or even affected the outcome of the story? How would some of the stories be different if they were told through another person's perspective? Explain your answers, and use evidence from the book to support those answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)