|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the total population of the earth during the time of Julius Caesar?
2. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum have that he talks about in Chapter 20?
3. In Chapter 30, what does Fulghum claim he filled his class room ankle deep with?
4. When Fulghum takes his shoes to Elias Schwartz, what does Elias Schwartz send home in each shoe?
5. When the man in Chapter 16 was testing his theory on whether you can trust people, how many taxi drivers out of thirty-seven cheated him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
2. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
3. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
4. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
5. In Chapter 33, what does Fulghum say is his first clue that Elias Schwartz is the new Haiho Lama?
6. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
7. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
8. In Chapter 20, what kind of people does Fulghum say he lives in awe of?
9. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
10. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum mentions games in his book such as hide-and-seek and giants, wizards, and dwarfs. How does Fulghum relate these games to life lessons? What game does Fulghum mention he likes better than hide-and-seek, and why does he say he likes it better? Why does Fulghum want the kid who is hiding really well to get found? What does this phrase "get found" mean to Fulghum? What did the little girl wanting to be a mermaid change about Fulghum's outlook on his game and on life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Fulghum seems to include a lot of humor with his stories and life lessons. Why do you think humor is so important in solving problems and dealing with life? How do you think Fulghum uses humor in his writing and in dealing with life? What kind of person do you see Robert Fulghum as being? Why? What evidence from the stories brings you to this conclusion? How do you think Fulghum feels about his friends and family? Does he use humor in most his dealings with neighbors and family? If so, do you think this helps his dealings with his fellow man? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)