|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the band that plays in the tavern that Fulghum talks about in Chapter 35?
2. In Chapter 31, Fulghum claims that Beethoven defied his fate with what?
3. Fulghum says that if the population of the earth were to increase at the present rate, then by what year would the total mass of humans be equal to the mass of the earth?
4. When Fulghum is talking about the stuff that is found in our homes, what kind of chunks does he say are found in the stuff?
5. What kind of tablet is in the British Museum that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, what kind of people does Fulghum say he lives in awe of?
2. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
3. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
4. In Chapter 28, why does Robert Fulghum buy a cuckoo clock?
5. Describe how Fulghum listens to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
6. Why does Fulghum tell the reader in Chapter 16 to not be mislead by the stories we hear of crookedness and corruption?
7. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
8. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
9. In Chapter 39, Fulghum talks about a list of mysteries that he keeps that's getting longer and longer as he gets older. What are two of these mysteries that he lists in the book?
10. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Washington is mentioned a couple times in the book as Fulghum's neighbor. Fulghum and Mr. Washington seem to share a strong bond even though they have a lot of differences. What are some of Robert Fulghum's and Mr. Washington's differences? What kinds of things bond the two neighbors together? Why do you think these two neighbors were such good friends? Do you think Mr. Washington saw the simple things in life as Robert Fulghum does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fulghum speaks of his lawyer friend who says that we should just be and that life is all crap and it's all lies. Why do you think his friend feels this way? Why do you think someone who has been through so many experiences in life still thinks that his philosophy on life is wrong? Do you think Fulghum believes that life is "all crap" and that we should "just be"? Why or why not? Do you think Fulghum's lawyer friend is being cynical about life, or is he being more skeptical? Explain your answers, and use specific examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)