|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fulghum's neighbor say he puts up with Fulghum's yard?
2. In Chapter 27, Fulghum tells the reader that he knows what he wants for Christmas and he's known since he was forty. What is it that Fulghum wants?
3. What is Fulghum's neighbor's philosophy of life in Chapter 22?
4. What does Fulghum say is his solace from depression?
5. In Chapter 23, when Fulghum finds out that his barber has left, what does Fulghum say it feels like?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what happens when Fulghum stops to help a couple that has a dead car battery and he and the stranded man try to find the battery?
2. How does Fulghum explain how the people of imagination mentioned in Chapter 37 stand on one another's shoulders?
3. In Chapter 31, what does Fulghum state he'll do on some December night when he is very rich?
4. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
5. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
6. What happened in Chapter 24 when Fulghum tries to organize a game of giants, wizards, and dwarfs?
7. In Chapter 40, what happens when V.P. Menon arrives in Delhi to seek a job in government?
8. In Chapter 20, what kind of people does Fulghum say he lives in awe of?
9. Who is Donnie in Chapter 30, and why does he knock on Fulghum's door?
10. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a collection of some of Robert Fulghum's essays and stories as told from his perspective. How do you think Fulghum's perspective on some of these stories affected the way it was told or even affected the outcome of the story? How would some of the stories be different if they were told through another person's perspective? Explain your answers, and use evidence from the book to support those answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe V.P. Menon's character is the book. What motivated Menon to "pay it forward"? How did Menon make up his debt from the Sikh? As a person who quit school at thirteen, how was Menon still wise in many ways? In what ways did Menon become the best person he could be? What do you think motivated Menon to become who he was? How will Menon's name and legacy live on? Explain your answers by using specific material from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Fulghum discusses the clay tablet in the British Museum that contains a census. Discuss some of the facts that Fulghum talks about concerning the earth's mass and people as they relate to each other. Why do you think Fulghum discusses the mass of the earth versus people and the quality of people in the first place? What is Locard's Exchange Principle, and how does it play a role in Fulghum's story? What does Fulghum mean when he says, "We are the stuff of stars"?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)