|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of BMW motorcycle does Fulghum claim feels like him?
2. When Fulghum takes his shoes to Elias Schwartz, what does Elias Schwartz send home in each shoe?
3. Fulghum has a hero named Larry Walters. What does Larry Walters do for a living?
4. What is the name of the tavern that Fulghum talks about visiting in Chapter 35?
5. In Chapter 23, when Fulghum finds out that his barber has left, what does Fulghum say it feels like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author do in Chapter 28 when his cuckoo clock is not working properly, and what happens to the clock?
2. What kind of fantasy does Fulghum speak about in Chapter 20, and what does it involve?
3. Describe Larry Walters' contraption that Fulghum mentions in Chapter 38 and what he has with him as he floats over Los Angeles.
4. What does Fulghum say will happen if you put a bunch of the stuff mentioned in Chapter 34 in a jar with water?
5. In Chapter 29, what does the couple that lives across the street from the author buy to ride on, and how does the couple ride it?
6. In Chapter 19, when Mr. Washington comes over to Fulghum's home and starts spraying the dandelions, what kind of discussion does this spark?
7. How does Fulghum think people's attitude would be different if dandelions were rare and fragile?
8. In Chapter 36, what are some of the deadly mixtures that Fulghum and his newfound stranded friend discuss?
9. In Chapter 34, Fulghum discusses the two items that make up the majority of stuff. What are some of the other miscellaneous items that make up stuff?
10. In Chapter 27, what does the man with scrooge-itis say about receiving gifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fulghum seems to include a lot of humor with his stories and life lessons. Why do you think humor is so important in solving problems and dealing with life? How do you think Fulghum uses humor in his writing and in dealing with life? What kind of person do you see Robert Fulghum as being? Why? What evidence from the stories brings you to this conclusion? How do you think Fulghum feels about his friends and family? Does he use humor in most his dealings with neighbors and family? If so, do you think this helps his dealings with his fellow man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Donnie's character from Chapter 30. Which of Donnie's qualities makes it hard for Fulghum to turn down his raking inquiry? What was Donnie's work ethic like? Even though Robert Fulghum didn't really want his leaves raked, do you think he was glad that he hired Donnie to help? If so, in what ways? Why do you think Donnie didn't charge Fulghum more money than his normal rate even though Fulghum's yard was abnormally full of leaves? What does this say about Donnie's character and desire to work? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite person in the book? Why did this person appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this person? Were there any characteristics you didn't like about this person? Why? What does this person add to the particular story that he or she is featured in? How would the story be different if this person did not exist? Would anything remain the same in the story if this person was absent? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)