|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Willie catch Charles doing?
2. Why was Willie arrested by the police?
3. What was the name of the girl Willie met after being released from prison?
4. Why did Governor Carey send Willie to prison after his transfer out of the prison?
5. When did Butch go to Baker's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Carey and why was he being attacked?
2. How was Willie's respect for his father restored in Part V, Chapter 16?
3. Why did some of the jurors have sleepless nights?
4. What does the Epilogue demonstrate about prisons?
5. Who was Donna Bernhagen and what could Butch not handle?
6. What did the Bellevue staff conclude about Willie in Part III, Chapter 10?
7. What did Willie decide a few days after his father's death?
8. What happened when Butch was in the prison hospital?
9. Who were Noel Perez and Moises Perez?
10. What happened when police backed Butch into a corner and what did this reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the difference between law and lawlessness and why the justice system was illegitimate in the eyes of blacks.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the Jim Crow Laws and how such laws was a sign of a new era of deteriorated race relations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Willie's time in the juvenile system and prison with the time his father spent in the system.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)