|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Butterfield say was everything for the settlers of the county?
2. What did Willie James do after he started to attend school?
3. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
4. What did young blacks use in place of "honor"?
5. In what church did Aaron become a deacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Miss Kramer?
2. What was Pud's sentence for robbing two stores?
3. What happened to Pud in 1924 and what did the Bosket men do?
4. What violent conditions did Scottish-Irish settlers perpetuate?
5. What did James do after he took Butch out of school?
6. Who was Aaron Bosket?
7. What did Marie tell the court in Part II, Chapter 6?
8. Where were slaves kept for over a century?
9. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
10. How did the slave trade benefit South Carolina's white population and how were slaves a threat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the warrior ethic and its implications for those living in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the new freedoms that freedmen benefited from and examine the new implications of what it meant to be free.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the double-standard created on plantations and the threat to the fabric of social life.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)