|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Butch first diagnosed as at Bellevue Hospital?
2. What was Willie James' nickname?
3. What did young blacks use in place of "honor"?
4. When did Butch rob a liquor store?
5. What was the name of the wrestling the settlers of the county often engaged in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Francis Pickens?
2. What was the most violent county in the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What did James do after he took Butch out of school?
4. What did Marie do when James returned to Saluda?
5. What sentence did Butch receive for robbing a liquor store in 1957?
6. What was the "Edgefield Plan" and what did it culminate in?
7. How did the slave trade benefit South Carolina's white population and how were slaves a threat?
8. What was the double standard that persisted?
9. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
10. What did Aaron Bosket do to build a new life for himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Willie's time in the juvenile system and prison with the time his father spent in the system.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the difference between law and lawlessness and why the justice system was illegitimate in the eyes of blacks.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze of the significance of the "the New Negro" and the implications that this new generation had in South Carolina.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)