|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Marie's second husband according to Part II, Chapter 6?
2. Why did the crime rate increase in 1903 according to W.E.B. DuBois?
3. Why did the blacks of the early 20th century stop paying much attention to the difference between law and lawlessness according to Butterfield?
4. What did Marie ask the court for?
5. When was Butch released from Bellevue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Who did Pud marry and how many children did they have?
3. Why did some of the jurors have sleepless nights?
4. What did James do after he took Butch out of school?
5. What was the "Edgefield Plan" and what did it culminate in?
6. What happened on December 9, 1962 in Part III, Chapter 8?
7. What did Butch work towards?
8. What does the Epilogue demonstrate about prisons?
9. What happened on March 6, 1941?
10. What did William decide to do for his case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Willie's time in the juvenile system and prison with the time his father spent in the system.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the morality of honor with the morality of dignity and find examples of each in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the NAACP in helping to get Butch Bosket paroled from prison.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)