|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Thomas Bauskett's son according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
3. Where did Frances Bosket move to at the start of Part II, Chapter 5?
4. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Bausketts according to Part I, Chapter 2?
2. What did the eldest son of Captain Butler do?
3. What was the nickname for Edgefield and what was the crime rate?
4. What was the most violent county in the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. What happened to Pud in 1924 and what did the Bosket men do?
6. Who was Clifton?
7. How did the slave trade benefit South Carolina's white population and how were slaves a threat?
8. What was the double standard that persisted?
9. Who was Francis Pickens?
10. What was the "Edgefield Plan" and what did it culminate in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze of the significance of the "the New Negro" and the implications that this new generation had in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the morality of honor with the morality of dignity and find examples of each in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between law and lawlessness and why the justice system was illegitimate in the eyes of blacks.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)