|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who broke through Butch's anger?
2. When were southern states forced to give freed men the right to vote?
3. What did the whites name their plan to prevent African Americans from voting?
4. Why did slavery add to the culture of violence?
5. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Pud in 1924 and what did the Bosket men do?
2. What was the most violent county in the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What was Pud's sentence for robbing two stores?
4. What group was William Herrin and Pud part of according to Part I, Chapter 4?
5. What did W.E.B. DuBois acknowledge?
6. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. Who was Aaron Bosket?
8. What happened in the Bosket family in 1943?
9. What happened in March 1867?
10. Who did Pud marry and how many children did they have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of Ruben's masters during slavery and compare and contrast their thinking and methods.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze of the significance of the "the New Negro" and the implications that this new generation had in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities and differences between Butch and his son, Willie.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)