|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
2. Why did the young slave Thomas Bauskett offered his son take the name of Bauskett?
3. Who broke through Butch's anger?
4. What was the name of Thomas Bauskett's son according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. What was the name of the slave Thomas Bauskett gave his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did people react to James?
2. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What happened in the Bosket family in 1943?
4. Who was Miss Kramer?
5. What happened to Pud in 1924 and what did the Bosket men do?
6. How did the slave trade benefit South Carolina's white population and how were slaves a threat?
7. What did the eldest son of Captain Butler do?
8. What was the nickname for Edgefield and what was the crime rate?
9. Who was Clifton?
10. What was the double standard that persisted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine methods used to intervene early in juvenile offenders and propose other methods that might work in reducing crime rates and recidivism.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the difference between law and lawlessness and why the justice system was illegitimate in the eyes of blacks.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the morality of honor with the morality of dignity and find examples of each in the book.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)