|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped create the climate of general violence in the country?
2. When were the people numbed toward violence?
3. Who did Aaron marry?
4. What did young blacks use in place of "honor"?
5. What type of contract did Aaron have to sign to get work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Bausketts according to Part I, Chapter 2?
2. Who was Francis Pickens?
3. What did Pickens become at the end of Part I, Chapter 2?
4. What was the "Edgefield Plan" and what did it culminate in?
5. What did W.E.B. DuBois acknowledge?
6. What happened on June 21, 1865 and how did people react according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. What was Pud's sentence for robbing two stores?
8. What did Marie do when James returned to Saluda?
9. What happened in the Bosket family in 1943?
10. How did people react to James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze of the significance of the "the New Negro" and the implications that this new generation had in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the juvenile system can be considered a wise parent, yet make an example of a juvenile offender.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the new freedoms that freedmen benefited from and examine the new implications of what it meant to be free.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)