|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
(a) The laziest men in America.
(b) The best farmers in America.
(c) The richest people in America.
(d) The most hated men in America.
2. Where did Willie James and his other grandmother, Cora Mae Jones, go when he was 8?
(b) New York.
3. How many seats of the legislature did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 116 out of 156.
(b) 96 out of 156.
(c) 106 out of 156.
(d) 126 out of 156.
4. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
(a) 5 out of 5.
(b) 2 out of 5.
(c) 4 out of 5.
(d) 3 out of 5.
5. What type of contract did Aaron have to sign to get work?
(a) A sharecropping labor contract.
(b) A slave contract.
(c) A farmhand contract.
(d) A free worker contract.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Pud marry Frances Smith?
2. Who broke through Butch's anger?
3. What did the whites call the trouble-making black youth of the start of the 20th century?
4. What county was the most violent of the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. Where did Frances Bosket move to at the start of Part II, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Miss Kramer?
2. Who did Butch meet in 1970?
3. What happened when police backed Butch into a corner and what did this reveal?
4. How was Willie's respect for his father restored in Part V, Chapter 16?
5. According to Part II, Chapter 5, where did Frances Bosket move and why?
6. Who was Carey and why was he being attacked?
7. Who were Noel Perez and Moises Perez?
8. What group was William Herrin and Pud part of according to Part I, Chapter 4?
9. What did Butch work towards?
10. What happened on December 9, 1962 in Part III, Chapter 8?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)