|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Edgefield conquered by the Union Army according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) June 21, 1865.
(b) June 21, 1866.
(c) March 21, 1866
(d) March 21, 1865.
2. What did Marie ask the court for?
(a) A restraining order against James.
(b) Financial support from James.
(c) For James to lose his paternal rights.
(d) A divorce from James.
3. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
4. Who did the slave marry that Thomas gave to his son?
(a) Sophia Vaughn.
(b) Carolina Vaughn.
(c) Erika Vaughn.
(d) Maria Vaughn.
5. Who was Marie's second husband according to Part II, Chapter 6?
(a) Arthur Jackson.
(b) Aaron Jackson.
(c) James Jackson.
(d) Robert Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did slavery add to the culture of violence?
2. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
3. What was the rule since the law was not trusted?
4. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
5. How many slaves did Pickens own at the time he purchased the Bauskett's slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "Edgefield Plan" and what did it culminate in?
2. What happened in the Bosket family in 1943?
3. Who were the Bausketts according to Part I, Chapter 2?
4. What was the double standard that persisted?
5. What was Pud's sentence for robbing two stores?
6. What sentence did Butch receive for robbing a liquor store in 1957?
7. Where were slaves kept for over a century?
8. How did race relations further deteriorate?
9. What was the most violent county in the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
10. What happened to Pud in 1924 and what did the Bosket men do?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)