|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
(a) Three whites and four African Americans.
(b) One white and four African Americans.
(c) One white and three African Americans.
(d) Two whites and four African Americans.
2. What did Marie ask the court for?
(a) A restraining order against James.
(b) Financial support from James.
(c) A divorce from James.
(d) For James to lose his paternal rights.
3. What type of contract did Aaron have to sign to get work?
(a) A sharecropping labor contract.
(b) A farmhand contract.
(c) A free worker contract.
(d) A slave contract.
4. What did a high number of slaves in South Carolina increase the risk of?
(a) Economical collapse.
(b) Inter-racial children.
(c) Creation of a slave union.
5. When did Thomas Bauskett buy his son a slave?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Aaron marry?
2. When did the name of Willie Bosket's great, great grandfather appear on the voter registration list?
3. What county was the most violent of the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. When was Pickens elected governor of South Carolina?
5. Why did slavery add to the culture of violence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the most violent county in the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What did Aaron Bosket do to build a new life for himself?
3. What did Pickens become at the end of Part I, Chapter 2?
4. How did Pickens view himself?
5. What violent conditions did Scottish-Irish settlers perpetuate?
6. What was the double standard that persisted?
7. What did W.E.B. DuBois acknowledge?
8. What group was William Herrin and Pud part of according to Part I, Chapter 4?
9. Who did Pud marry and how many children did they have?
10. Who were the Bausketts according to Part I, Chapter 2?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)