|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was James when he started laboring?
2. When was the first daughter of the slave born that Thomas gave his son?
3. What was Willie James' nickname?
4. What did the whites, who feared the newly freed slaves, start in South Carolina?
(a) Plans to import Chinese workers.
(b) Selling off their properties.
(c) Guerrilla war against blacks.
(d) A series of lawsuits.
5. What did young blacks use in place of "honor"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did people back away from James?
2. What did Butch establish himself as where he was first institutionalized?
3. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
4. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. How many blacks were lynched in 1898?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie tell the court in Part II, Chapter 6?
2. Who did Pud marry and how many children did they have?
3. What happened on March 6, 1941?
4. What did W.E.B. DuBois acknowledge?
5. What sentence did Butch receive for robbing a liquor store in 1957?
6. How did people react to James?
7. Where were slaves kept for over a century?
8. Who was Tilda Mobley Pou?
9. What group was William Herrin and Pud part of according to Part I, Chapter 4?
10. What did Pickens become at the end of Part I, Chapter 2?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)