|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
(a) Two whites and four African Americans.
(b) One white and three African Americans.
(c) Three whites and four African Americans.
(d) One white and four African Americans.
2. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
(a) The laziest men in America.
(b) The richest people in America.
(c) The most hated men in America.
(d) The best farmers in America.
3. How old was James when he started laboring?
4. When was Butch released from Bellevue?
5. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
6. What mount were many slaves kept at for over a century?
(a) Mount Willing.
(b) Mount Solidarity.
(c) Mount Simple.
(d) Mount Confederate.
7. How many blacks were lynched in 1898?
8. What did a high number of slaves in South Carolina increase the risk of?
(b) Inter-racial children.
(c) Creation of a slave union.
(d) Economical collapse.
9. In what church did Aaron become a deacon?
(a) Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
(b) Greenburg Hill Baptist Church.
(c) Edgefield Hill Baptist Church.
(d) High Hill Baptist Church.
10. Who chased down a Major in a horse race?
(a) Captain Butler's father.
(b) Captain Butler's brother.
(c) Captain Butler's son.
(d) Captain Butler's daughter.
11. What was the name of the slave Thomas Bauskett gave his son?
12. Why did slavery add to the culture of violence?
(a) Slaves were not paid.
(b) Violence was all they knew.
(c) Psychological help for the slave was non-existant.
(d) Violence was needed to enforce bondage.
13. How many more murders than Massachusetts did the county have up until the 1930's?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 12 times.
(c) 4 times.
(d) 2 times.
14. Why had the hanged man killled his boss at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) His boss cheated him of his wages.
(b) His boss killed his horse.
(c) His boss stole his horse.
(d) His boss fired him.
15. Who broke through Butch's anger?
(a) Miss Jones.
(b) Miss Kramer.
(c) Miss Lily.
(d) Miss Kim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What laws were created that was the basis for segregation?
2. What was Pud sentenced to for the robberies he committed?
3. Who did James become enamored with?
4. How long after the robbery was Pud arrested?
5. When did Thomas Bauskett's son decide to sell his slaves and plantations?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)