|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many elective offices did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 4 out of 8.
(b) 5 out of 8.
(c) 4 out of 10.
(d) 4 out of 9.
2. Who chased down a Major in a horse race?
(a) Captain Butler's daughter.
(b) Captain Butler's brother.
(c) Captain Butler's father.
(d) Captain Butler's son.
3. What was Butch finally diagnosed as at Bellevue Hospital?
(a) Anti-social personality disorder.
4. What laws were created that was the basis for segregation?
(a) The Markus Brow laws.
(b) The Greeny Laws.
(c) The Jim Crow laws.
(d) The South Protection laws.
5. How many more murders than Massachusetts did the county have up until the 1930's?
(a) 12 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 4 times.
6. What does Butterfield say was everything for the settlers of the county?
(a) Thy land.
7. When was Willie Bosket born?
(a) December 1963.
(b) December 1961.
(c) December 1965.
(d) December 1962.
8. How many blacks were lynched in 1898?
9. Why did people back away from James?
(a) He was an African American.
(b) He had a knife.
(c) He was a Bosket.
(d) He wore a gang tatoo.
10. What was Butch first diagnosed as at Bellevue Hospital?
(d) Anti-social personality disorder
11. What happened in the late 1860's?
(a) Former slaves were allowed to vote.
(b) A series of revolts rocked the plantations.
(c) Whites were expelled from their plantations.
(d) Blacks were given land.
12. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
(a) The richest people in America.
(b) The laziest men in America.
(c) The most hated men in America.
(d) The best farmers in America.
13. What did the whites of South Carolina fear?
(a) That there was no longer any profit in farming.
(b) That the newly freed slaves would leave the state.
(c) That there was no mechanism to control African Americans.
(d) That the newly freed slaves would enslave them.
14. Why did the young slave Thomas Bauskett offered his son take the name of Bauskett?
(a) He liked the name.
(b) It was the name of his kindest master.
(c) It was the name of the first master he could recall.
(d) The name was an approximate translation of his African name.
15. What helped create the climate of general violence in the country?
(a) The economic downturn.
(b) Drinking and lack of jobs.
(c) Firearms and economic downturn.
(d) Drinking and firearms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many seats of the legislature did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
2. Why had the hanged man killled his boss at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. What did the whites call the trouble-making black youth of the start of the 20th century?
4. Why did Butch leave the second institution?
5. When was the first daughter of the slave born that Thomas gave his son?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)