|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many more murders than Massachusetts did the county have up until the 1930's?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 12 times.
(c) 4 times.
(d) 2 times.
2. When was the man hung at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) March 27, 1909.
(b) March 27, 1908.
(c) November 27, 1909.
(d) November 27, 1908.
3. What was the rule since the law was not trusted?
(b) Having fun.
4. When did Frances Bosket leave South Carolina?
5. What was the name of the wrestling the settlers of the county often engaged in?
6. When did the state and federal elections of the late 1860's take place?
7. When was Pickens elected to Congress?
8. What did the whites of South Carolina fear?
(a) That the newly freed slaves would leave the state.
(b) That the newly freed slaves would enslave them.
(c) That there was no mechanism to control African Americans.
(d) That there was no longer any profit in farming.
9. What was Butch's sentence for robbing the liquor store?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 7 years.
10. Why did the crime rate increase in 1903 according to W.E.B. DuBois?
(a) Whites created a police system to deal with blacks alone.
(b) The police made up crimes to boost the statistics.
(c) A better record keeping system was put in place.
(d) Whites didn't report crimes by whites.
11. When did Pud die?
12. What did Aaron lose because of the 1876 election?
(a) His freedom.
(b) His horse.
(c) His right to win land.
(d) His right to vote.
13. What county was the most violent of the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) Highfield County.
(b) Boldfield County.
(c) Lowfield County.
(d) Edgefield County.
14. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
(a) Two whites and four African Americans.
(b) Three whites and four African Americans.
(c) One white and three African Americans.
(d) One white and four African Americans.
15. What was the name of Willie Bosket's great, great grandfather?
(a) Morgan Bosket.
(b) Robert Bosket.
(c) Lusius Bosket.
(d) Aaron Bosket.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thomas Bauskett buy his son a slave?
2. Why did Butch leave the second institution?
3. How old was Pud in 1910?
4. When was Edgefield conquered by the Union Army according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. What did the whites, who feared the newly freed slaves, start in South Carolina?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)