|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Aaron lose because of the 1876 election?
(a) His right to win land.
(b) His right to vote.
(c) His horse.
(d) His freedom.
2. How old was James when he started laboring?
3. How many blacks were lynched in 1898?
4. Who chased down a Major in a horse race?
(a) Captain Butler's son.
(b) Captain Butler's brother.
(c) Captain Butler's daughter.
(d) Captain Butler's father.
5. When did Frances and James move to a little wooden house near an eatery?
6. Where did Willie James and his other grandmother, Cora Mae Jones, go when he was 8?
(c) New York.
7. What was the name of Willie Bosket's great, great grandfather?
(a) Morgan Bosket.
(b) Robert Bosket.
(c) Aaron Bosket.
(d) Lusius Bosket.
8. When were the people numbed toward violence?
(a) From 1760 to 1780.
(b) From1750 to 1780.
(c) From1760 to 1790.
(d) From1770 to 1790.
9. Who did Aaron marry after his first separation?
(a) Tilda Mobley Pou.
(b) Sophia Mobley Pou.
(c) Lucyl Mobley Pou.
(d) Marie Mobley Pou.
10. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
(a) One white and four African Americans.
(b) Two whites and four African Americans.
(c) One white and three African Americans.
(d) Three whites and four African Americans.
11. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
(a) Poor economic conditions.
(b) The absence of organized government.
(c) The availability of guns.
(d) Old blood feuds between families and clans.
12. Why did the blacks of the early 20th century stop paying much attention to the difference between law and lawlessness according to Butterfield?
(a) They were not included in the economic boom.
(b) The justice system was abused by the whites.
(c) They were poorly educated.
(d) They didn't have any hope for a better future.
13. Why did the young slave Thomas Bauskett offered his son take the name of Bauskett?
(a) It was the name of the first master he could recall.
(b) The name was an approximate translation of his African name.
(c) He liked the name.
(d) It was the name of his kindest master.
14. How many slaves did Pickens own at the time he purchased the Bauskett's slaves?
15. When was the man hung at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) November 27, 1909.
(b) March 27, 1909.
(c) March 27, 1908.
(d) November 27, 1908.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
2. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
3. When was Pickens elected to Congress?
4. When was Pickens elected governor of South Carolina?
5. Who was elected in the elections of 1876?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)