|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the people numbed toward violence?
(a) From 1760 to 1780.
(b) From1760 to 1790.
(c) From1770 to 1790.
(d) From1750 to 1780.
2. When did the state and federal elections of the late 1860's take place?
3. Who did Butch try to sell the pictures to that he stole from the lab where he worked?
(a) A pawnshop.
(b) To a trucker.
(c) To a magazine.
(d) To a Club.
4. What did Willie James do after he started to attend school?
(a) He starting spending time in the library.
(b) He started teaching.
(c) He skipped school.
(d) He started taking one on one lessons.
5. How many seats of the legislature did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 116 out of 156.
(b) 106 out of 156.
(c) 96 out of 156.
(d) 126 out of 156.
6. Why did the crime rate increase in 1903 according to W.E.B. DuBois?
(a) A better record keeping system was put in place.
(b) The police made up crimes to boost the statistics.
(c) Whites created a police system to deal with blacks alone.
(d) Whites didn't report crimes by whites.
7. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
(a) 3 out of 5.
(b) 4 out of 5.
(c) 5 out of 5.
(d) 2 out of 5.
8. What was Butch finally diagnosed as at Bellevue Hospital?
(d) Anti-social personality disorder.
9. What was Butch's sentence for robbing the liquor store?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 7 years.
10. Why did the blacks of the early 20th century stop paying much attention to the difference between law and lawlessness according to Butterfield?
(a) They were not included in the economic boom.
(b) They didn't have any hope for a better future.
(c) The justice system was abused by the whites.
(d) They were poorly educated.
11. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
(a) The absence of organized government.
(b) Old blood feuds between families and clans.
(c) The availability of guns.
(d) Poor economic conditions.
12. Who broke through Butch's anger?
(a) Miss Lily.
(b) Miss Kim.
(c) Miss Kramer.
(d) Miss Jones.
13. What was the nickname of the county?
(a) Bloody Edgefield.
(b) Bloody Lowfield.
(c) Bloody Highfield.
(d) Bloody Boldfield.
14. Where did Butch move with his pregnant wife?
(c) New York.
15. What was the name of the Major being chased down in a race?
Short Answer Questions
1. What county was the most violent of the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
3. Why had the hanged man killled his boss at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
4. How long after the robbery was Pud arrested?
5. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)