|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many slaves did Bauskett own?
2. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
(a) 4 out of 5.
(b) 3 out of 5.
(c) 5 out of 5.
(d) 2 out of 5.
3. What did the whites, who feared the newly freed slaves, start in South Carolina?
(a) Selling off their properties.
(b) A series of lawsuits.
(c) Plans to import Chinese workers.
(d) Guerrilla war against blacks.
4. What does Butterfield say was everything for the settlers of the county?
(d) Thy land.
5. What did the whites of South Carolina fear?
(a) That there was no mechanism to control African Americans.
(b) That the newly freed slaves would enslave them.
(c) That the newly freed slaves would leave the state.
(d) That there was no longer any profit in farming.
6. Who did Butch try to sell the pictures to that he stole from the lab where he worked?
(a) To a Club.
(b) A pawnshop.
(c) To a trucker.
(d) To a magazine.
7. How old was James when he started laboring?
8. Who did James become enamored with?
(a) A cook.
(b) A waitress.
(c) A farm hand.
(d) A nurse.
9. Where did Marie go after leaving Willie James with Frances?
(a) New York.
10. What was the name of the wrestling the settlers of the county often engaged in?
11. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
(a) One white and four African Americans.
(b) Three whites and four African Americans.
(c) One white and three African Americans.
(d) Two whites and four African Americans.
12. What was Butch's IQ?
13. In what state does Fox Butterfield recount some of the crimes in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) New York.
(c) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
14. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
(b) Free elections.
(d) Former slaves.
15. Who did Pickens sell his slaves to?
(b) Frederik Samuelson.
(c) Alfred Dearing.
(d) Marcus Roberts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Butch placed on parole?
2. How many elective offices did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
3. Who did Aaron marry after his first separation?
4. What special school was Butch sent to?
5. What origin were the settlers of the county?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)