|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Butch leave the second institution?
(a) He fled.
(b) The school closed.
(c) He was expelled.
(d) His father took him away.
2. What was the name of the wrestling the settlers of the county often engaged in?
3. Who chased down a Major in a horse race?
(a) Captain Butler's son.
(b) Captain Butler's daughter.
(c) Captain Butler's brother.
(d) Captain Butler's father.
4. When was Willie Bosket born?
(a) December 1965.
(b) December 1963.
(c) December 1961.
(d) December 1962.
5. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
(a) Old blood feuds between families and clans.
(b) The availability of guns.
(c) The absence of organized government.
(d) Poor economic conditions.
6. Who did Pickens sell his slaves to?
(a) Frederik Samuelson.
(b) Alfred Dearing.
(c) Marcus Roberts.
7. What does Butterfield say was everything for the settlers of the county?
(c) Thy land.
8. What was Pud sentenced to for the robberies he committed?
(a) One year of hard labor.
(b) Four years of hard labor.
(c) Three years of hard labor.
(d) Two years of hard labor.
9. Why did the young slave Thomas Bauskett offered his son take the name of Bauskett?
(a) The name was an approximate translation of his African name.
(b) It was the name of the first master he could recall.
(c) It was the name of his kindest master.
(d) He liked the name.
10. How many elective offices did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 4 out of 8.
(b) 4 out of 9.
(c) 4 out of 10.
(d) 5 out of 8.
11. Where did Marie go after leaving Willie James with Frances?
(d) New York.
12. When was Pickens elected governor of South Carolina?
13. Under what president did Pickens become the minister to St Petersburg?
(a) President Taylor.
(b) President Buchanan.
(c) President Pierce.
(d) President Lincoln.
14. What mount were many slaves kept at for over a century?
(a) Mount Willing.
(b) Mount Simple.
(c) Mount Confederate.
(d) Mount Solidarity.
15. When was James Bosket drafted into the army?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Willie James become part of a gang?
2. How old was James when he started laboring?
3. What did young blacks use in place of "honor"?
4. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)