|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the whites plan to prevent the African Americans from voting culminate in?
(a) The Market Massacre.
(b) The Hamburg Massacre.
(c) The Edgefield Massacre.
(d) The Riverdale Massacre.
2. What county was the most violent of the United States according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) Boldfield County.
(b) Edgefield County.
(c) Highfield County.
(d) Lowfield County.
3. Who did James become enamored with?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A farm hand.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A cook.
4. What was the name of Thomas Bauskett's son according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
(c) Thomas Junior.
5. When was Willie James born?
(a) March 6, 1940.
(b) March 6, 1941.
(c) March 6, 1942.
(d) March 6, 1943.
6. Who was hung at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Robert Herrin.
(b) William Herrin.
(c) Markus Herrin.
(d) John Herrin.
7. What did the whites, who feared the newly freed slaves, start in South Carolina?
(a) Selling off their properties.
(b) Guerrilla war against blacks.
(c) A series of lawsuits.
(d) Plans to import Chinese workers.
8. How long after the robbery was Pud arrested?
(a) 20 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 10 days.
9. What did Butch establish himself as where he was first institutionalized?
(a) The most violent of the boys.
(b) The underdog.
(c) The loving boy.
(d) The shy boy.
10. What did Willie James do after he started to attend school?
(a) He started teaching.
(b) He skipped school.
(c) He started taking one on one lessons.
(d) He starting spending time in the library.
11. What was the name of the Major being chased down in a race?
12. When did Pud die?
13. Who did Aaron marry?
14. When was Edgefield conquered by the Union Army according to Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) March 21, 1865.
(b) June 21, 1865.
(c) June 21, 1866.
(d) March 21, 1866
15. How many elective offices did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 4 out of 9.
(b) 4 out of 8.
(c) 4 out of 10.
(d) 5 out of 8.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the people of Edgefield vote for in the first election allowing freed men to vote?
2. Where did the violence in the county originate from according to Butterfield?
3. Who was Marie's second husband according to Part II, Chapter 6?
4. Why did the price of the crops in South Carolina fall in the late 1890's?
5. How old was Willie James when he enrolled in school?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)