|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the first daughter of the slave born that Thomas gave his son?
2. Where did Butch move with his pregnant wife?
(c) New York.
3. Who did Butch try to sell the pictures to that he stole from the lab where he worked?
(a) To a Club.
(b) To a trucker.
(c) To a magazine.
(d) A pawnshop.
4. What did the whites, who feared the newly freed slaves, start in South Carolina?
(a) Selling off their properties.
(b) Guerrilla war against blacks.
(c) A series of lawsuits.
(d) Plans to import Chinese workers.
5. When was Butch released from Bellevue?
6. Who was hung at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Markus Herrin.
(b) Robert Herrin.
(c) John Herrin.
(d) William Herrin.
7. How many more murders than Massachusetts did the county have up until the 1930's?
(a) 12 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 4 times.
8. Where did Frances Bosket move to at the start of Part II, Chapter 5?
9. How many seats of the legislature did African Americans take in the early 1870's?
(a) 126 out of 156.
(b) 106 out of 156.
(c) 116 out of 156.
(d) 96 out of 156.
10. What did the whites name their plan to prevent African Americans from voting?
(a) The bloody plan.
(b) The Lee plan.
(c) The Edgefield Plan.
(d) Plan R.
11. What did Pud take from a white farmer as he was threatened with punishment?
(a) The gun.
(b) The cane.
(c) The fork.
(d) The whip.
12. When were southern states forced to give freed men the right to vote?
(a) March 1866.
(b) March 1869.
(c) March 1867.
(d) March 1868.
13. What does Butterfield say was everything for the settlers of the county?
(d) Thy land.
14. How many congressional seats did African Americans take in South Carolina in the early 1870's?
(a) 4 out of 5.
(b) 2 out of 5.
(c) 5 out of 5.
(d) 3 out of 5.
15. Why did Butch leave the second institution?
(a) He was expelled.
(b) He fled.
(c) His father took him away.
(d) The school closed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Butch rob a liquor store?
2. What is an integral part of the history of the county according to Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What was Willie James' nickname?
4. Why had the hanged man killled his boss at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What did the whites of South Carolina become, thanks to the slave trade?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)