Part I, Chapter 1, Bloody Edgefield
* In Part I, Chapter 1, we learn that Edgefield was the most violent county in the United States for many years.
* It is in Edgefield that Aaron Bosket's name appeared on the voters registration record for the first time.
* Slaves were an integral part of Edgefield history.
* Edgefield was called "Bloody Edgefield" because of the high rate for murder.
* Edgefield had a higher rate of murder than Massachusetts through the 1930's.
* The Scottish and Irish code of honor, as well as family and clan feuds dating back to the Middle Ages, increased the violence.
* Honor became a passion that called for retaliation after retaliation.
Part I, Chapter 2, Masters and Slaves
* In Part I, Chapter 2, we learn of Thomas Bauskett buying a young slave, Ruben, for his son John.
* Bauskett was a plantation owner with 221 slaves.
* Ruben eventually took the name Bauskett.
* Thanks to slavery...
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)