|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is noticeable about Mr. Tavener's physical condition?
2. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
3. Herriot intends to bet on a horse, but misses the race. How did the horse he wanted to place his money on do in the race?
4. What is the family name of the cattle farmers who are four brothers?
5. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book contains several examples of anecdotes that shows that laughter and comedy as a part of Herriot's life. Site several of these anecdotes and explain why laughing would be an important element of a veterinarian's life.
Essay Topic 2
Write a summary of the events that led to Helen and James Herriot's marriage. Were you surprised that they finally did get married? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In one chapter, Herriot has to put down an older lady's dog. Herriot calms her fears by talking with her about the afterlife of animals. What does he tell her that gives her some comfort? Do you agree with his statements? Whether or not you believe animals have souls, do you think it is right for humans to end the lives of animals? Is it never appropriate? Always appropriate? Or does it depend upon the circumstances?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)