|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Miss Stubbs' dog, Ben?
2. What does Herriot learn about Mr. Skipton?
3. To whom does the dog named Dan belong?
4. What does Dr. Farnon tell Herriot about his career?
5. Why won't Dr. Farnon have it fixed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
2. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
3. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
4. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
5. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
6. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
7. How does Herriot save the Rudd's cow?
8. The Austin has not had brakes in weeks. What convinces Dr. Farnon to have the brakes fixed?
9. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
10. When Helen comes to the office with her dog what does Herriot do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
List 5 characters you liked in the book and 5 characters you disliked. Explain your choices and use examples from the book to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)