|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Taveners?
2. Who is Tip?
3. What has Dick Rudd just purchased?
4. Where do Herriot and Helen go on their second date?
5. What happens when Tristan drives the Land Rover?
Short Essay Questions
1. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
2. What important event happens in chapter 48? How does Herriot feel about this event?
3. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
4. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
5. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
6. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
7. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
8. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
9. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
10. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
Essay Topic 2
In one chapter, Herriot has to put down an older lady's dog. Herriot calms her fears by talking with her about the afterlife of animals. What does he tell her that gives her some comfort? Do you agree with his statements? Whether or not you believe animals have souls, do you think it is right for humans to end the lives of animals? Is it never appropriate? Always appropriate? Or does it depend upon the circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Herriot seems to be more attracted to the poorer families in the community or to the wealthier families? Explain your answer citing examples from the book.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)