|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Connie and Herriot?
2. What happens when Tristan drives the Land Rover?
3. What is wrong the the man who collapses in front of Herriot and Helen?
4. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
5. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
2. When Helen comes to the office with her dog what does Herriot do?
3. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
4. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
5. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
6. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
7. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
8. The Austin has not had brakes in weeks. What convinces Dr. Farnon to have the brakes fixed?
9. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
10. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one chapter, Herriot has to put down an older lady's dog. Herriot calms her fears by talking with her about the afterlife of animals. What does he tell her that gives her some comfort? Do you agree with his statements? Whether or not you believe animals have souls, do you think it is right for humans to end the lives of animals? Is it never appropriate? Always appropriate? Or does it depend upon the circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)