|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual step does Herriot take in treating this animal?
2. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
3. What is the name of the region where Herriot is living?
4. Who helps Herriot treat Dan?
5. Who is Connie?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen comes to the office with her dog what does Herriot do?
2. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
3. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
4. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
5. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
6. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
7. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
8. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
9. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
10. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Pumphrey is an example of someone whose love of animals causes real problems for her pets and for Herriot. Explain this idea and whether you agree or disagree with it. Give examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)