|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Dan?
2. What is noticeable about Mr. Tavener's physical condition?
3. What surprise does Dr. Farnon have for Herriot?
4. What does Dr. Farnon use to clean the windshield of his car?
5. Where do they go to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen comes to the office with her dog what does Herriot do?
2. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
3. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
4. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
5. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
6. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
7. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
8. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
9. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
10. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think it is important that Helen brought Dan to Herriot's office to be treated? Why do you think she didn't just call and ask Herriot to come to the farm to help Dan? Do you think her decision to come the office affected her relationship with Herriot, and if so how? Fully explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write a summary of the events that led to Helen and James Herriot's marriage. Were you surprised that they finally did get married? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Share at least 4 examples of anecdotes which Herriot shares to show Tristan's lack of responsibility. Share some of the positive things that the book has to say about Tristan.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)