|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Herriot caught in a fierce snow storm?
2. What ultimately happens to the Rudd's animal in chapter 54?
3. What happens to Connie and Herriot?
4. Who does Herriot have to borrow shoes from?
5. Why does Herriot go to Mr. Kay's farm ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
2. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
3. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
4. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
5. The Austin has not had brakes in weeks. What convinces Dr. Farnon to have the brakes fixed?
6. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
7. Why does Tristan decide that Herriot should go to a dance?
8. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
9. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
10. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Herriot is very confident in some areas of his life and very unsure of himself in other areas of his life. Give examples to support the previous statement and explain why you believe he could be characterized as being sure or unsure of himself.
Essay Topic 2
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the circumstances in and around the story of Herriot and the butcher. What lesson do you think Herriot was trying to teach the butcher? Do you think he did a good job of teaching that lesson? Explain your answers.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)