|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major event happens in Herriot's life in this final chapter?
2. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
3. What does Dr. Farnon lose at the horsetrack?
4. What annual work-related event is taking place in this chapter?
5. Who is Queenie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is reason Herriot joins the music society and what is the result?
2. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
3. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
4. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
5. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
6. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
7. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
8. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
9. How does Herriot save the Rudd's cow?
10. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one chapter, Herriot has to put down an older lady's dog. Herriot calms her fears by talking with her about the afterlife of animals. What does he tell her that gives her some comfort? Do you agree with his statements? Whether or not you believe animals have souls, do you think it is right for humans to end the lives of animals? Is it never appropriate? Always appropriate? Or does it depend upon the circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a summary of the events that led to Helen and James Herriot's marriage. Were you surprised that they finally did get married? Explain your answer.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)