|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the opportunity to become the supervising veterinarian at the Northwest Racing Circuit?
2. Helen says something that gives Herriot hope about their relationship, what is it?
3. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
4. What kind of animal does Herriot work on when he visits Helen's house?
5. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
2. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
3. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
4. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
5. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
6. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
7. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
8. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
9. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
10. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Briefly recount the story of Herriot, Angus Grier, and Mrs. Mallard. Why do you think Herriot was so shocked and upset about the discovery he made of Dr. Grier's and Mrs. Mallard's relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Share at least 4 examples of anecdotes which Herriot shares to show Tristan's lack of responsibility. Share some of the positive things that the book has to say about Tristan.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)