|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize the Rudd family at the end of this episode?
2. What happens to Miss Stubbs' animals when she dies?
3. Why does Herriot go to Mr. Kay's farm ?
4. Who does Herriot have to borrow shoes from?
5. Who are the Altons?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Austin has not had brakes in weeks. What convinces Dr. Farnon to have the brakes fixed?
2. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
3. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
4. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
5. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
6. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
7. Why does Tristan decide that Herriot should go to a dance?
8. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
9. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
10. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Herriot's book is an account of young man who moves into a new community, begins a new career, and has to establish a new group of relationships. List and explain several of the major adjustments Herriot had to make in his life. Give examples of how he established a new life.
Essay Topic 2
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the circumstances in and around the story of Herriot and the butcher. What lesson do you think Herriot was trying to teach the butcher? Do you think he did a good job of teaching that lesson? Explain your answers.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)