|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
2. What problem does Herriot help the butcher solve?
3. What kind of animals does Herriot treat, with a new vaccine, for the Bramleys?
4. Who does Herriot begin to date regularly?
5. Who is Tip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
2. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
3. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
4. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
5. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
6. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
7. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
8. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
9. How does Herriot save the Rudd's cow?
10. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a summary of the events that led to Helen and James Herriot's marriage. Were you surprised that they finally did get married? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
James Herriot's book is an account of young man who moves into a new community, begins a new career, and has to establish a new group of relationships. List and explain several of the major adjustments Herriot had to make in his life. Give examples of how he established a new life.
Essay Topic 3
Share at least 4 examples of anecdotes which Herriot shares to show Tristan's lack of responsibility. Share some of the positive things that the book has to say about Tristan.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)