|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Herriot caught in a fierce snow storm?
2. What kind of dog does Denham have?
3. How many dogs and cats does Miss Stubbs have?
4. What character interrupts the trip to the Northwest Racing Circuit?
5. What does Dr. Farnon convince Herriot to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
2. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
3. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
4. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
5. What important responsibility does Herriot take on in chapter 41? Why is this so important?
6. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
7. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
8. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
9. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
10. What is reason Herriot joins the music society and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book contains several examples of anecdotes that shows that laughter and comedy as a part of Herriot's life. Site several of these anecdotes and explain why laughing would be an important element of a veterinarian's life.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Pumphrey is an example of someone whose love of animals causes real problems for her pets and for Herriot. Explain this idea and whether you agree or disagree with it. Give examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)