|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new title and responsibility does Herriot take on?
2. Who is Dick Rudd?
3. What does Herriot do so he can see Helen more often?
4. How many dogs and cats does Miss Stubbs have?
5. Who is Harold Denham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
2. What important responsibility does Herriot take on in chapter 41? Why is this so important?
3. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
4. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
5. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
6. What important event happens in chapter 48? How does Herriot feel about this event?
7. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
8. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
9. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
10. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Farnon has real difficulty collecting money from his clients. Summarize examples from the book which highlight this problem. Why do you think he continued to treat animals for individuals who did not pay? What could he have done differently that would have helped solve this problem?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)