|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Farnon have a chance to do while at the horsetrack?
2. Where do Herriot and Helen go on their second date?
3. Who are the Bramleys?
4. What is the name of the region where Herriot is living?
5. What is the family name of the cattle farmers who are four brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen comes to the office with her dog what does Herriot do?
2. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
3. What important responsibility does Herriot take on in chapter 41? Why is this so important?
4. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
5. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
6. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
7. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
8. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
9. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
10. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
Essay Topic 2
The book contains several examples of anecdotes that shows that laughter and comedy as a part of Herriot's life. Site several of these anecdotes and explain why laughing would be an important element of a veterinarian's life.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think it is important that Helen brought Dan to Herriot's office to be treated? Why do you think she didn't just call and ask Herriot to come to the farm to help Dan? Do you think her decision to come the office affected her relationship with Herriot, and if so how? Fully explain your answers.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)