|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
2. Helen says something that gives Herriot hope about their relationship, what is it?
3. What does Dr. Farnon tell Herriot about his career?
4. What does Herriot learn about Mr. Skipton?
5. Why does Herriot smell like flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
2. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
3. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
4. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
5. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
6. What important event happens in chapter 48? How does Herriot feel about this event?
7. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
8. What is reason Herriot joins the music society and what is the result?
9. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
10. The Austin has not had brakes in weeks. What convinces Dr. Farnon to have the brakes fixed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Herriot seems to be more attracted to the poorer families in the community or to the wealthier families? Explain your answer citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Through out the book, Herriot shows an uncanny ability to diagnose problems with animals. List several examples of this ability. He also has at least one instance when he makes a wrong diagnosis; summarize this occurrence, then explain some of the difficulties a vet faces in deciding what is wrong with an animal.
Essay Topic 3
Write a summary of the events that led to Helen and James Herriot's marriage. Were you surprised that they finally did get married? Explain your answer.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)