|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Farnon lose at the horsetrack?
2. Herriot intends to bet on a horse, but misses the race. How did the horse he wanted to place his money on do in the race?
3. Why won't Dr. Farnon have it fixed?
4. What surprise does Dr. Farnon have for Herriot?
5. Who has the opportunity to become the supervising veterinarian at the Northwest Racing Circuit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
2. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
3. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
4. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
5. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
6. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
7. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
8. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
9. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
10. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Farnon has real difficulty collecting money from his clients. Summarize examples from the book which highlight this problem. Why do you think he continued to treat animals for individuals who did not pay? What could he have done differently that would have helped solve this problem?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly recount the story of Herriot, Angus Grier, and Mrs. Mallard. Why do you think Herriot was so shocked and upset about the discovery he made of Dr. Grier's and Mrs. Mallard's relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. Farnon with James Herriot. Discuss both professional and personal areas where they are alike and different. Give examples.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)