|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Copfield farm is known for what?
2. Who is Terry Watson?
3. Ruth Bellerby asks Herriot to take her to what event?
4. Who is ill in this chapter?
5. Who is Miss Harbottle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
2. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
3. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
4. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
5. What community disaster involving Tristan happens in chapter 16?
6. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
7. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
8. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
9. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
10. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one chapter, Herriot has to put down an older lady's dog. Herriot calms her fears by talking with her about the afterlife of animals. What does he tell her that gives her some comfort? Do you agree with his statements? Whether or not you believe animals have souls, do you think it is right for humans to end the lives of animals? Is it never appropriate? Always appropriate? Or does it depend upon the circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)