|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Herriot's efforts?
2. In chapter 20 who does Dr. Farnon confront?
3. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
4. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
5. Dr. Farnon and Herriot stop at what location on their way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
2. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
3. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
4. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
5. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
6. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
7. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
8. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
9. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
10. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Farnon has real difficulty collecting money from his clients. Summarize examples from the book which highlight this problem. Why do you think he continued to treat animals for individuals who did not pay? What could he have done differently that would have helped solve this problem?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think it is important that Helen brought Dan to Herriot's office to be treated? Why do you think she didn't just call and ask Herriot to come to the farm to help Dan? Do you think her decision to come the office affected her relationship with Herriot, and if so how? Fully explain your answers.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)