|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Herriot's efforts?
2. Crawford, a local farmer complains about whom, at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Dr. Farnon's procedure results in better health for the cow, what is the other result?
4. Spring brings a new activity for Herriot, what is it?
5. Herriot is given what type of car to drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
2. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
3. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
4. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
5. What trait do you think is revealed about Dr. Farnon in chapter 27. Briefly explain your answer.
6. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
7. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
8. How would you describe Dr. Farnon?
9. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
10. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the circumstances in and around the story of Herriot and the butcher. What lesson do you think Herriot was trying to teach the butcher? Do you think he did a good job of teaching that lesson? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The book contains several examples of anecdotes that shows that laughter and comedy as a part of Herriot's life. Site several of these anecdotes and explain why laughing would be an important element of a veterinarian's life.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)