|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the treatment that the doctors' recommend?
2. What kind of animal does Terry Watson own and Herriot treats?
3. A farmer wants Herriot to diagnose that his cow has died of what?
4. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
5. Crawford, a local farmer complains about whom, at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
2. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
3. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
4. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
5. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
6. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
7. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
8. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
9. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
10. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the circumstances in and around the story of Herriot and the butcher. What lesson do you think Herriot was trying to teach the butcher? Do you think he did a good job of teaching that lesson? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is important that Helen brought Dan to Herriot's office to be treated? Why do you think she didn't just call and ask Herriot to come to the farm to help Dan? Do you think her decision to come the office affected her relationship with Herriot, and if so how? Fully explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. Farnon with James Herriot. Discuss both professional and personal areas where they are alike and different. Give examples.
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)