|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Farnon wants the practice to be more professional so he breaks out what new item?
2. Who is Miss Harbottle?
3. What is wrong with the first horse Herriot helps treat?
4. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
5. What does Herriot realize is true about Angus Grier and Mrs. Mallard
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
2. How would you describe Dr. Farnon?
3. What trait do you think is revealed about Dr. Farnon in chapter 27. Briefly explain your answer.
4. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
5. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
6. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
7. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
8. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
9. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
10. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Herriot's book is an account of young man who moves into a new community, begins a new career, and has to establish a new group of relationships. List and explain several of the major adjustments Herriot had to make in his life. Give examples of how he established a new life.
Essay Topic 2
Share at least 4 examples of anecdotes which Herriot shares to show Tristan's lack of responsibility. Share some of the positive things that the book has to say about Tristan.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)