|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
2. What illness does Dan Cooper's cow have?
3. Tristan next is asked to care for a dog which has what problem?
4. What is the result of Herriot's treatment of the animal?
5. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What community disaster involving Tristan happens in chapter 16?
2. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
3. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
4. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
5. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
6. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
7. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
8. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
9. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
10. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dr. Farnon with James Herriot. Discuss both professional and personal areas where they are alike and different. Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The book contains several examples of anecdotes that shows that laughter and comedy as a part of Herriot's life. Site several of these anecdotes and explain why laughing would be an important element of a veterinarian's life.
Essay Topic 3
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)