|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot find is wrong with the dog when he arrives?
2. Chapter 16 is occupied primarily with the story of Tristan and what task?
3. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
4. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
5. What happens because of this discovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
2. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
3. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
4. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
5. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
6. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
7. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
8. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
9. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
10. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly recount the story of Herriot, Angus Grier, and Mrs. Mallard. Why do you think Herriot was so shocked and upset about the discovery he made of Dr. Grier's and Mrs. Mallard's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. Farnon with James Herriot. Discuss both professional and personal areas where they are alike and different. Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
List 5 characters you liked in the book and 5 characters you disliked. Explain your choices and use examples from the book to support your opinions.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)