|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Farnon's procedure results in better health for the cow, what is the other result?
2. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
3. Who is supposed to answer the phone each morning at the vet's office?
4. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
5. What is the outcome of the treatment for Ticki Woo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What community disaster involving Tristan happens in chapter 16?
2. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
3. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
4. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
5. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
6. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
7. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
8. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
9. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
10. What trait do you think is revealed about Dr. Farnon in chapter 27. Briefly explain your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Farnon has real difficulty collecting money from his clients. Summarize examples from the book which highlight this problem. Why do you think he continued to treat animals for individuals who did not pay? What could he have done differently that would have helped solve this problem?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)