|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter what two animals are lost?
2. What is the name of Dr. Farnon's home?
3. What kind of animal does Mrs. Pumphrey have?
4. A farmer wants Herriot to diagnose that his cow has died of what?
5. In chapter 20 who does Dr. Farnon confront?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
2. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
3. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
4. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
5. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
6. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
7. What trait do you think is revealed about Dr. Farnon in chapter 27. Briefly explain your answer.
8. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
9. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
10. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List 5 characters you liked in the book and 5 characters you disliked. Explain your choices and use examples from the book to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly recount the story of Herriot, Angus Grier, and Mrs. Mallard. Why do you think Herriot was so shocked and upset about the discovery he made of Dr. Grier's and Mrs. Mallard's relationship?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)