|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Tristan have to do for Dr. Farnon?
2. What is the treatment that the doctors' recommend?
3. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
4. This chapter reveals that Dr. Farnon has a surprising following of _____________.
5. Who is Miss Harbottle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
2. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
3. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
4. How would you describe Herriot?
5. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
6. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
7. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
8. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
9. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
10. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the circumstances in and around the story of Herriot and the butcher. What lesson do you think Herriot was trying to teach the butcher? Do you think he did a good job of teaching that lesson? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)