|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Angus Grier?
2. Crawford, a local farmer complains about whom, at the beginning of this chapter?
3. This animal has a number of health issues, many are caused by what?
4. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
5. In this same chapter, Herriot also operates on a horse that has what problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
2. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
3. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
4. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
5. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
6. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
7. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
8. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
9. What lesson do you think Herriot learns in chapter 34?
10. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Herriot seems to be more attracted to the poorer families in the community or to the wealthier families? Explain your answer citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Herriot shows much knowledge of veterinary medicine, as well as much intuition throughout the book. Which do you think is more important to his practice? Explain your choice.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. Farnon with James Herriot. Discuss both professional and personal areas where they are alike and different. Give examples.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)