|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
2. What job does Tristan have to do for Dr. Farnon?
3. In chapter 37, Herriot does surgery on a dog that has what problem?
4. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
5. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
2. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
3. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
4. What seems to upset Miss Stubbs about her impending death, and what does Herriot tell her that seems to give her comfort?
5. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
6. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
7. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
8. How would you describe Herriot?
9. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
10. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
Essay Topic 1
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 2
Examine and explain the qualities you think Dr. Farnon saw in Herriot that caused him to make Herriot a partner.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly recount the story of Herriot, Angus Grier, and Mrs. Mallard. Why do you think Herriot was so shocked and upset about the discovery he made of Dr. Grier's and Mrs. Mallard's relationship?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)