|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens because of this discovery?
2. Dr. Farnon's procedure results in better health for the cow, what is the other result?
3. What does Mrs. Pumphrey say is Herriot's relationship to Nugent?
4. Who is Tristan?
5. What other diagnosis does Herriot make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
2. How would you describe Herriot?
3. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
4. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
5. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
6. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
7. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
8. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
9. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
10. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tristan is treated fairly in the way Herriot presents him in this book? Give examples to explain and justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
James Herriot's book is an account of young man who moves into a new community, begins a new career, and has to establish a new group of relationships. List and explain several of the major adjustments Herriot had to make in his life. Give examples of how he established a new life.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)