|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herriot and Grier are both of what ancestry?
2. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
3. Tristan does not do his new job well, what is the result?
4. Who is Tristan?
5. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
2. How would you describe Herriot?
3. What lesson do you think Herriot learns in chapter 34?
4. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
5. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
6. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
7. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
8. What is the whole point in chapter 66?
9. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
10. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
Essay Topic 1
Herroit is a veterinarian in a rural community in the mid 1900's. Explain some of the challenges farmers faced in those days and how that differs from problems we face in the more urban or suburban lifestyle that most of us live today.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is important that Helen brought Dan to Herriot's office to be treated? Why do you think she didn't just call and ask Herriot to come to the farm to help Dan? Do you think her decision to come the office affected her relationship with Herriot, and if so how? Fully explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Herriot seems to be more attracted to the poorer families in the community or to the wealthier families? Explain your answer citing examples from the book.
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)