|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
2. Who is Tristan?
3. Tristan next is asked to care for a dog which has what problem?
4. Who invites Herriot to a party?
5. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Herriot?
2. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
3. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
4. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
5. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
6. How would you describe Dr. Farnon?
7. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
8. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
9. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
10. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Herriot seems to be more attracted to the poorer families in the community or to the wealthier families? Explain your answer citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Tavener family and the Alton family in this book.
Essay Topic 3
List 5 characters you liked in the book and 5 characters you disliked. Explain your choices and use examples from the book to support your opinions.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)