|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the region where Herriot is living?
2. What kind of animal does Herriot work on when he visits Helen's house?
(a) a colt
(b) a calf
(c) a puppy
(d) a lamb
3. Where do they go to eat?
(a) to a restaurant in London
(b) back to Skedale house
(c) the nicest restaurant in town at a hotel
(d) a local inn and pub
4. In chapter 49, what is wrong with the Austin?
(a) it will not start
(b) it has a flat tire
(c) it has lost its brakes
(d) it is out of gas
5. In chapter 46, Herriot has a theory which might be summed up by saying what?
(a) men faint quicker than women
(b) the big ones always pass out first
(c) women faint quicker than men
(d) smaller farmers are more apt to faint
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tip?
2. Why is Herriot called to the Alderson's home?
3. What is Herriot taking out of a cow's stomach when one farmer faints?
4. What does Dr. Farnon have a chance to do while at the horsetrack?
5. What does he have to do to the animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
2. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
3. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
4. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
5. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
6. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
7. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
8. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
9. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
10. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)