|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 49, what is wrong with the Austin?
(a) it has a flat tire
(b) it is out of gas
(c) it has lost its brakes
(d) it will not start
2. What is noticeable about Mr. Tavener's physical condition?
(a) he is very much overweight
(b) his hands shake
(c) he cannot speak
(d) he has a distinct limp
3. What unusual step does Herriot take in treating this animal?
(a) he operates and lances the throat abscess
(b) he prays over the animal
(c) he puts it down without the owner's permission
(d) he asks Dr. Farnon to come and help him
4. What kind of dog does Denham have?
(a) an english setter
(b) a yorkshire terrier
(c) a great dane
(d) an english bulldog
5. What activity to Denham and Herriot share in common?
(a) they are both vets
(b) they both date Helen
(c) they both bet in the football pools
(d) they both drive Austins
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Herriot smell like flowers?
2. How many dogs and cats does Miss Stubbs have?
3. What new title and responsibility does Herriot take on?
4. Who are the Altons?
5. What does Dr. Farnon lose at the horsetrack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
2. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
3. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
4. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
5. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
6. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
7. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
8. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
9. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
10. What important event happens in chapter 48? How does Herriot feel about this event?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)