|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Herriot go to Mr. Kay's farm ?
(a) to treat an ill horse
(b) to help round up the cows
(c) to help deliver a calf
(d) to test his cows for disease
2. Why won't Dr. Farnon have it fixed?
(a) he just doesn't get around to it
(b) he tells Herriot to fix it
(c) Tristan is supposed to fix it
(d) Herriot doesn't tell him about it
3. After "bleeding" the animal, what does Dr. Farnon prescribe?
(a) no food for 3 days
(b) a round of antibiotics
(c) letting it stand in a stream
(d) a new trial vaccine
4. Herriot intends to bet on a horse, but misses the race. How did the horse he wanted to place his money on do in the race?
(a) shows in 3rd at 10 to 1 odds
(b) places in 2nd at 10 to 1 odds
(c) wins at 10 to 1 odds
(d) doesn't finish at all
5. Where do Herriot and Helen go on their second date?
(a) to the cinema
(b) on a walk
(c) to a dance
(d) to the hotel restaurant
Short Answer Questions
1. On another occasion when a farmer faints, Herriot leaves the farmer's change on a pail, how much does the farmer say he is short?
2. Why does Herriot smell like flowers?
3. Where are the cattle's identifying tattoos located?
4. What is wrong the the man who collapses in front of Herriot and Helen?
5. What is wrong with Helen's animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
2. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
3. Why does Tristan decide that Herriot should go to a dance?
4. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
5. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
6. Briefly describe Herriot's encounter with a Great Dane.
7. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
8. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
9. What important event happens in chapter 48? How does Herriot feel about this event?
10. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)