|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Herriot called to the Alderson's home?
(a) to put down a horse
(b) because Helen's mother is ill
(c) to help deliver a calf
(d) to operate on their dog
2. What happens to Herriot?
(a) he gets lost while walking in the blizzard
(b) he goes back to Helen's house and spends the night
(c) he sleeps in the Austin overnight
(d) he and Tristan have a fight
3. What major event happens in Herriot's life in this final chapter?
(a) he marries Helen
(b) he starts his own practice
(c) he finally buys his own place
(d) Dr. Farnon dies
4. What kind of animals does Herriot have to work on when he goes to the Skipton farm?
5. What new title and responsibility does Herriot take on?
(a) Local Veterinary Inspector of the Local Constable
(b) Local Constable of the Dales
(c) Local Minister of the Anglican Church
(d) Local Veterinary Inspector for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Herriot work on when he visits Helen's house?
2. What problem does Herriot help the butcher solve?
3. What is wrong with Dan?
4. Who is The Major?
5. Who is Dick Rudd?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
2. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
3. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
4. Dr. Farnon has many problems, but he has one that seems to be the worst. What is it, and has he done anything to try and solve it?
5. Do you think Herriot had fun at the dance to which he and Connie went? Why or why not?
6. How would you describe Herriot's relationship with farmer Worley and why?
7. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
8. Why does Tristan decide that Herriot should go to a dance?
9. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
10. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)