|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is noticeable about Mr. Tavener's physical condition?
(a) he is very much overweight
(b) he has a distinct limp
(c) he cannot speak
(d) his hands shake
2. What surprise does Dr. Farnon have for Herriot?
(a) Tristan has moved out
(b) he is leaving to be the vet at the Northwest Racing Circuit
(c) he makes Herriot a partner
(d) he is retiring
3. What is Herriot taking out of a cow's stomach when one farmer faints?
(a) a rubber ball
(b) a nail
(c) a wire
(d) a poisonous plant
4. What new title and responsibility does Herriot take on?
(a) Local Minister of the Anglican Church
(b) Local Veterinary Inspector for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
(c) Local Constable of the Dales
(d) Local Veterinary Inspector of the Local Constable
5. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
(a) his own shyness
(b) Helen lives so far away
(c) Helen's boyfriend
(d) Helen's shyness
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tristan end up driving the Austin?
2. How many dogs and cats does Miss Stubbs have?
3. On another occasion when a farmer faints, Herriot leaves the farmer's change on a pail, how much does the farmer say he is short?
4. What has Dick Rudd just purchased?
5. What is wrong with Helen's animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
2. List four things Herriot tells us about Tim Alton.
3. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
4. What does Dr. Farnon do to Herriot in chapter 65 and why does he do it?
5. What important character is introduced in chapter 40 and how does Herriot meet this person?
6. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
7. What would be the major drawback to Dr. Farnon being the lead veterinarian at the racetrack?
8. Why does Tristan decide that Herriot should go to a dance?
9. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
10. What amusing events happen to Tristan in chapter 39?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)