|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Farnon tell Herriot about his career?
(a) that he should look to do something else
(b) that one day he will be a partner in the practice
(c) that he would like to sell his practice
(d) that he must learn to be more caring
2. What unusual step does Herriot take in treating this animal?
(a) he prays over the animal
(b) he operates and lances the throat abscess
(c) he asks Dr. Farnon to come and help him
(d) he puts it down without the owner's permission
3. Who are the Altons?
(a) a poor family with a prize pig that Herriot treats
(b) a family of 8 who have a Shorthorn cow that Herriot treats
(c) a wealthy family who own a dog that Herriot treats
(d) a family of 6 who raise sheep
4. What does Dr. Farnon lose at the horsetrack?
(a) his hat
(b) his doctor's bag
(c) his cane
(d) his car keys
5. Who is Harold Denham?
(a) a local constable
(b) a local pub owner
(c) a local millionaire
(d) a local farmer
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the animal?
2. What is the family name of the cattle farmers who are four brothers?
3. Why is Herriot caught in a fierce snow storm?
4. What happens to Dr. Farnon while at the horsetrack?
5. Who has the opportunity to become the supervising veterinarian at the Northwest Racing Circuit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important responsibility does Herriot take on in chapter 41? Why is this so important?
2. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
3. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
4. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
5. Do you think Herriot has a problem with farmer Sidlow? Why or why not?
6. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
7. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
8. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
9. How does Herriot save the Rudd's cow?
10. What major mistake does Herriot make early on when he is inspecting for tuberculosis?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)