|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 5 Herriot is called to treat a horse that is afflicted with torsion, what is this ailment?
(a) The intestines are twisted
(b) the ears are infected
(d) swollen joints
2. New hens and piglets come to live at Skedale house, who is to care for them?
(c) Miss Harbottle
(d) Dr. Farnon
3. What is the result of Herriot's treatment of the animal?
(a) the animal is put down
(b) complete recovery
(c) the cow delivers a calf
(d) the boar is castrated
4. What other diagnosis does Herriot make?
(a) a broken pelvis
(b) a weak heart
(c) torn ligaments
(d) lead poisoning
5. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
(a) put down a sick lamb
(b) put down a prize horse
(c) put down a family's only milk cow
(d) put an elderly man's dog down
Short Answer Questions
1. Herriot and Grier are both of what ancestry?
2. What is the treatment for the ailing bull in this chapter?
3. In chapter 24, there is another problem between what two characters?
4. What interesting custom does Herriot observe in the Cooper's home?
5. What is unusual about his appearance when he arrives at this farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
2. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
3. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
4. How would you describe Dr. Farnon?
5. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
6. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
7. What lesson do you think Herriot learns in chapter 34?
8. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
9. How would you describe Herriot?
10. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)