|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A local resident shares a remedy for lameness with Herriot; what is the remedy?
(a) marshmellow ointment
(b) wild onion ointment
(c) mustard ointment
2. In chapter nine Tristan and Herriot treat a cow with a condition called prolapse, what is this?
(a) a cow cannot deliver its calf
(b) a cow's uterus ends up outside the body after a delivery
(c) a cow cannot give milk after a birth
(d) a cow lapses into a coma like state
3. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
(a) Ruth's advances toward him
(b) Herriot's handling of animals
(c) Miss Harbottle's handling of the finances
(d) Tristan's lack of responsibility
4. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
(a) put down a prize horse
(b) put an elderly man's dog down
(c) put down a sick lamb
(d) put down a family's only milk cow
5. Spring is also the time when what procedure is done on yearling horses?
(b) they must be curried
(c) their hoofs are trimmed
(d) their hoofs are shod
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tristan?
2. Who is Angus Grier?
3. New hens and piglets come to live at Skedale house, who is to care for them?
4. This animal has a number of health issues, many are caused by what?
5. Why does Miss Harbottle come to the vet's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson do you think Herriot learns in chapter 34?
2. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
3. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
4. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
5. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
6. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
7. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
8. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
9. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
10. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)