|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Farnon has to do surgery on a cow that has what problem?
(b) milk fever
(c) it can't deliver its calf
(d) a wire stuck in its second stomach
2. What does Herriot realize is true about Angus Grier and Mrs. Mallard
(a) they are siblings
(b) they are neighbors
(c) they are enemies
(d) they are having an affair
3. What is the outcome of Herriot's treatment of the cow?
(a) he trys a new treatment and Dan Cooper is furious
(b) he trys a new treatment and the cow is saved
(c) he trys a new treatment and the cow dies
(d) he trys a new treatment and the calf is lost
4. In this chapter what two animals are lost?
(a) a pig and a mare
(b) a dog and a cow
(c) two goats
(d) two hens
5. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey
(b) Angus Grier
(d) Don Collins
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a knacker?
2. What does Herriot help Grier do?
3. What does Mrs. Pumphrey say is Herriot's relationship to Nugent?
4. What does Jeff Mallock do for a living?
5. Dr. Farnon and Herriot stop at what location on their way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
2. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
3. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
4. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
5. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
6. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
7. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
8. How would you describe Herriot?
9. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
10. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)