|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter nine Tristan and Herriot treat a cow with a condition called prolapse, what is this?
(a) a cow's uterus ends up outside the body after a delivery
(b) a cow cannot deliver its calf
(c) a cow lapses into a coma like state
(d) a cow cannot give milk after a birth
2. What happens because of this discovery?
(a) Dr. Farnon and Herriot have a fight
(b) Miss Harbottle scolds Dr. Farnon
(c) Dr. Farnon and Tristan have a fight
(d) Herriot must repay the money
3. Crawford, a local farmer complains about whom, at the beginning of this chapter?
(b) Dr. Harnon
(c) Miss Harbottle
4. In chapter 5 Herriot is called to treat a horse that is afflicted with torsion, what is this ailment?
(a) the ears are infected
(b) swollen joints
(d) The intestines are twisted
5. What does Jeff Mallock do for a living?
(a) he is a vet
(b) he is a farmer
(c) he is a pub owner
(d) he is a knacker
Short Answer Questions
1. A local resident shares a remedy for lameness with Herriot; what is the remedy?
2. Following the prolapse episode, Herriot pulls a practical joke on what character?
3. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
4. Dr. Farnon has to do surgery on a cow that has what problem?
5. Who is Nugent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
2. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
3. Why do you think the episode with the Coopers is important?
4. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
5. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
6. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
7. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
8. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
9. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
10. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)