|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
(a) Herriot's handling of animals
(b) Ruth's advances toward him
(c) Tristan's lack of responsibility
(d) Miss Harbottle's handling of the finances
2. Spring brings a new activity for Herriot, what is it?
(c) delivering calves
3. What does Herriot realize is true about Angus Grier and Mrs. Mallard
(a) they are siblings
(b) they are neighbors
(c) they are having an affair
(d) they are enemies
4. In chapter 5 Herriot is called to treat a horse that is afflicted with torsion, what is this ailment?
(a) The intestines are twisted
(b) swollen joints
(d) the ears are infected
5. What is the treatment for the ailing bull in this chapter?
(a) epson salt
(c) spraying him down with cold water
(d) lancing his ear
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
2. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
3. What ailment does Mr. Handshaw's cow have?
4. During this account an animal does something to Herriot, what is it?
5. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What community disaster involving Tristan happens in chapter 16?
2. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
3. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
4. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
5. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
6. What happens in chapter 31 that helps to show Herriot's human side?
7. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
8. In chapter 21, Tristan is given a very tough assignment. What is the task and what do you think it says about Dr. Farnon?
9. Chapter 11 deals with what kind of relationship?
10. In Chapter 6 what does Dr. Farnon do in support of Herriot?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)