|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
(a) in a neighbor's garden
(b) under the house
(c) in a tree
(d) they are not found
2. New hens and piglets come to live at Skedale house, who is to care for them?
(c) Miss Harbottle
(d) Dr. Farnon
3. Herriot is injured while trying to operate on what kind of animal?
(a) a bull
(b) a ram
(c) a stallion
(d) a boar hog
4. What kind of animal does Mrs. Pumphrey have?
(a) a goat
(b) a cat
(c) a dog
(d) a cow
5. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
(a) milk fever
(b) excessive urination
(c) he has become to agressive
(d) he will not eat
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth Bellerby asks Herriot to take her to what event?
2. Who is supposed to answer the phone each morning at the vet's office?
3. Ticki Woo is ill, what is wrong?
4. Who is Miss Harbottle?
5. Chapter 16 is occupied primarily with the story of Tristan and what task?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
2. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
3. Briefly describe Angus Grier.
4. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
5. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
6. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
7. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
8. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
9. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
10. Briefly describe the embarrassing event that happens to Herriot in this chapter.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)