Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about his appearance when he arrives at this farm?
(a) he has no coat and it is cold
(b) he has a new white doctor's coat
(c) he has shaved his head
(d) he is wearing his pajamas
2. Tristan next is asked to care for a dog which has what problem?
(a) it is lame
(b) it is about to have puppies
(c) it has been abandoned
(d) it has just had a tumor removed
3. What does Herriot help Grier do?
(a) birth a calf
(b) deliver some pups
(c) cleanse a cow
(d) prepare for a party
4. Who is Nugent?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey's servant
(b) Mrs. Pumphrey's dog
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey's child
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey's pig
5. What is the outcome of Herriot's treatment of the cow?
(a) he trys a new treatment and the cow is saved
(b) he trys a new treatment and Dan Cooper is furious
(c) he trys a new treatment and the cow dies
(d) he trys a new treatment and the calf is lost
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Dan Cooper's cow have?
2. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
3. Spring brings a new activity for Herriot, what is it?
4. Who is Miss Harbottle?
5. In this same chapter, Herriot also operates on a horse that has what problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Herriot is from the city. What does chapter 10 show us about the difference between the way rural folk approach life and how urban residents approach life?
2. Where do Helen and James Herriot spend their honeymoon and why?
3. What community disaster involving Tristan happens in chapter 16?
4. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
5. In Chapter 5, Herriot has to make a difficult decision; how does the character Soames make the decision more difficult?
6. The Rudd's are a large, poor farming family. What does Herriot discover about how they have enough for everyone at mealtime?
7. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
8. In chapter 58, Herriot describes a man's cow who has some bad habits. What are they?
9. Why does Dr. Farnon not get the job at the racetrack?
10. What happens when Herriot responds to a call in the middle of a snowstorm?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)