|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Pumphrey say is Herriot's relationship to Nugent?
(a) she calls Herriot, Nugent's father
(b) she calls Herriot, Nugent's cousin
(c) she calls Herriot, Nugent's uncle
(d) she calls Herriot, Nugent's savior
2. During this account an animal does something to Herriot, what is it?
(a) a dog bites him on the hand
(b) a cat attacks him
(c) a horse kicks him
(d) a horse picks him up by its mouth
3. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
(a) in a tree
(b) under the house
(c) in a neighbor's garden
(d) they are not found
4. Who is ill in this chapter?
(a) Ticki Woo
(d) Angus Grier
5. What job does Tristan have to do for Dr. Farnon?
(a) clean the house
(b) lance a sow's ear
(c) deliver a calf
(d) work out his hunting mare
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
2. Ruth Bellerby asks Herriot to take her to what event?
3. In chapter 31, what is Herriot called on to do?
4. In this same chapter, Herriot also operates on a horse that has what problem?
5. What has just happened in Tristan's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to float a horses teeth?
2. Through out chapter 46, Herriot gives anecdotes to prove a point, what is the point?
3. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
4. In what amusing way does Mrs. Pumphrey describe Herriot's relationship with her animals?
5. What does Herriot do to make a point to the local butcher about paying his bill?
6. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
7. How would you describe Tristan and Dr. Farnon's relationship?
8. Why do you think Herriot wants to take Helen to a movie about the Scots?
9. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
10. Briefly describe what it means for a horse to founder.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)