|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
(a) talking to the housekeeper
(b) helping a client
(c) sleeping in the garden
(d) setting in the parlor
2. In chapter nine Tristan and Herriot treat a cow with a condition called prolapse, what is this?
(a) a cow's uterus ends up outside the body after a delivery
(b) a cow cannot give milk after a birth
(c) a cow lapses into a coma like state
(d) a cow cannot deliver its calf
3. Ticki Woo is ill, what is wrong?
(a) the dog has a tumor
(b) the dog is malnurished
(c) the dog has been in a fight
(d) the dog has been overfed
4. During this account an animal does something to Herriot, what is it?
(a) a horse kicks him
(b) a horse picks him up by its mouth
(c) a cat attacks him
(d) a dog bites him on the hand
5. What is the treatment that the doctors' recommend?
(a) Ticki Woo is put on a liquid diet
(b) Ticki Woo is sewn up
(c) Ticki Woo is to come stay at Skedale House for 2 weeks
(d) Ticki Woo has to have surgery
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the prolapse episode, Herriot pulls a practical joke on what character?
2. What is the outcome of Herriot's treatment of the cow?
3. This chapter reveals that Dr. Farnon has a surprising following of _____________.
4. In this chapter what two animals are lost?
5. Tristan next is asked to care for a dog which has what problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Herriot?
2. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
3. What unpleasant task does Herriot deal with in chapter 25?
4. How does Herriot help Ticki Woo in chapter 30.
5. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
6. How does Herriot stand up for what is right in chapter 28?
7. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
8. What unexpected fact about Dr Grier and one of his clients, named Mrs Mallard, does Herriot uncover?
9. How does Herriot astound Phin Calvert with his treatments?
10. Explain briefly how chapters 14 and 15 continue to show us Tristan's lack of responsibility?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)