|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment does Mr. Handshaw's cow have?
(a) she is malnurished
(c) she is trying to deliver
(d) milk fever
2. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
(a) Don Collins
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey
(d) Angus Grier
3. Dr. Farnon wants the practice to be more professional so he breaks out what new item?
(a) a new white coat
(b) a new car
(c) a new operating table
(d) new surgery instruments
4. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
(a) excessive urination
(b) it can't get up
(c) it has a bone in its throat
(d) it has a tumor
5. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
(a) that he is so rough with the animals
(b) that he didn't use new scientific techniques
(c) that he will only use new scientific techniques
(d) that he can't decide on appropriate treaments
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the prolapse episode, Herriot pulls a practical joke on what character?
2. Dr. Farnon and Herriot stop at what location on their way home?
3. Before Herriot and Ruth can leave what family event must take place?
4. Who is Nugent?
5. What is wrong with the cow the vets visit in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ticki Woo shows up in chapter 13 and reappears later in the book. Why do you think Herriot includes accounts of Ticki Woo and its owner?
2. Who is Miss Harbottle and why does she get upset with Dr. Farnon?
3. Briefly describe how Tristan handles a tough assignment in chapter 24.
4. Briefly explain what a knacker does.
5. What lesson do you think Herriot learns in chapter 34?
6. The book shares a lot of difficult stories about caring for animals in distress. Chapter 9 focuses on another aspect of this veterinary practice, what is this chapter's focus?
7. What mistake does Herriot make in chapter 32?
8. How would you describe Dr. Farnon?
9. How do the events in chapter 37 reflect Dr. Farnon's lack of consistentcy?
10. Briefly explain the compelling episode with the farmer named Watson.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)