|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Connie and Herriot see unexpectedly?
(a) Angus Grier
(b) Dr. Farnon
2. Why does Dr. Farnon fuss at Herriot?
(a) for not telling him about the car
(b) for denting up the car
(c) for not having Tristan fix the car
(d) for not fixing the car
3. What kind of animal does Dr. Farnon treat for a Gypsy family?
(a) a bullock
(b) a billy goat
(c) a milk cow
(d) a pony
4. Why is Herriot caught in a fierce snow storm?
(a) he stayed too late a pub and drank too much
(b) he trying to find a farm to answer a call
(c) he was out too late with Helen
(d) Tristan took a wrong turn and they got lost
5. What is the family name of the cattle farmers who are four brothers?
(a) the Griers
(b) the Hugills
(c) the Meadows
(d) the Collins
6. What happens to Connie and Herriot?
(a) they are caught in a terrible thunderstorm
(b) they get drunk and fall in the mud
(c) they get lost walking a night
(d) they have a car wreck
7. Herriot is treating a sick calf, what is the diagnosis?
(a) milk fever
(b) lead poisoning
8. Helen says something that gives Herriot hope about their relationship, what is it?
(a) will you come in
(b) next time
(c) please hold my hand
(d) I love you
9. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
(a) she is married to a very mean man
(b) she is from Herriot's home town
(c) she is blind
(d) she is a young woman about Herriot's age
10. What character interrupts the trip to the Northwest Racing Circuit?
(b) Stewie Brannon
(c) Mr. Tavener
(d) Phin Cannon
11. Who is Connie?
(a) Herriot's sister
(b) Miss Harbottle
(c) Helen's sister
(d) Herriot's date for a dance
12. Who is Mr. Worley?
(a) a pig farmer and inn keeper
(b) a grocer
(c) the local constable
(d) a neighoring vet
13. What is wrong with Helen's animal?
(a) a bone in its throat
(b) a broken leg
(c) a rubber ball in its stomach
(d) a high fever
14. In chapter 49, what is wrong with the Austin?
(a) it is out of gas
(b) it has a flat tire
(c) it has lost its brakes
(d) it will not start
15. Who is Harold Denham?
(a) a local constable
(b) a local millionaire
(c) a local farmer
(d) a local pub owner
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Herriot taking out of a cow's stomach when one farmer faints?
2. What has Dick Rudd just purchased?
3. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
4. What special talent does Sam Broadbent possess ?
5. Why does Herriot go to Mr. Kay's farm ?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)