|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are they doing the first time he asks her out?
(a) watching a concert
(b) walking in a meadow
(c) working on a calf
(d) washing dishes
2. What does Tristan think is causing Herriot be so frustrated?
(a) his misdiagnosis of the calf
(b) the fact he hurt his foot when he kicked a box
(c) his relationship with Dr. Farnon
(d) his relationship with Helen
3. What character interrupts the trip to the Northwest Racing Circuit?
(a) Phin Cannon
(b) Stewie Brannon
(c) Mr. Tavener
4. What is wrong with the animal?
(a) milk fever
(d) lead poisoning
5. What happens to Connie and Herriot?
(a) they have a car wreck
(b) they are caught in a terrible thunderstorm
(c) they get lost walking a night
(d) they get drunk and fall in the mud
6. What does Dr. Farnon use to clean the windshield of his car?
(a) his coat
(b) his tie
(c) a dead chicken
(d) a lady's scarf
7. Who are the Bramleys?
(a) the family who owns the house where Helen lives
(b) a family with a prize Shorthorn cow
(c) a poor family with 7 children
(d) a family of 4 bachelors and a sister who is a spinster
8. What does he have to do to the animals?
(a) float their teeth
(b) worm them
(c) give them shots
(d) trim their hooves
9. What is the family name of the cattle farmers who are four brothers?
(a) the Collins
(b) the Griers
(c) the Hugills
(d) the Meadows
10. In chapter 46, Herriot has a theory which might be summed up by saying what?
(a) the big ones always pass out first
(b) smaller farmers are more apt to faint
(c) women faint quicker than men
(d) men faint quicker than women
11. Herriot is treating a sick calf, what is the diagnosis?
(a) milk fever
(c) lead poisoning
12. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
(a) Helen's boyfriend
(b) Helen's shyness
(c) Helen lives so far away
(d) his own shyness
13. What ultimately happens to the Rudd's animal in chapter 54?
(a) it dies during the night
(b) it must be put down
(c) it dies while Herriot is working on it
(d) it makes a full recovery
14. What joke does a farmer play on Herriot?
(a) has him check out a sheep that is really a goat
(b) has him check out a mean cow
(c) has him check the udders on a bull
(d) has him try to catch some wild cattle
15. What is wrong the the man who collapses in front of Herriot and Helen?
(a) he has been shot
(b) he is having a seizure
(c) he is drunk
(d) he has had a heart attack
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Farnon have a chance to do while at the horsetrack?
2. Who are the Altons?
3. What is noticeable about Mr. Tavener's physical condition?
4. Why does Dr. Farnon fuss at Herriot?
5. What happens to Herriot?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)