|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Queenie?
(a) Mr. Worley's sow
(b) Mr. Worley's dog
(c) Mr. Worley's horse
(d) Mr. Worley's milk cow
2. What ultimately happens to the Rudd's animal in chapter 54?
(a) it makes a full recovery
(b) it dies while Herriot is working on it
(c) it must be put down
(d) it dies during the night
3. Who are the Bramleys?
(a) the family who owns the house where Helen lives
(b) a family of 4 bachelors and a sister who is a spinster
(c) a family with a prize Shorthorn cow
(d) a poor family with 7 children
4. What unusual step does Herriot take in treating this animal?
(a) he asks Dr. Farnon to come and help him
(b) he prays over the animal
(c) he operates and lances the throat abscess
(d) he puts it down without the owner's permission
5. Who is Tip?
(a) a farmer's dog who is very mistreated
(b) a farmer's dog who gets stuck in a well
(c) a farmer's dog who bites Herriot's leg
(d) a farmer's dog who sleeps on the front step
6. Why does Herriot go to Mr. Kay's farm ?
(a) to test his cows for disease
(b) to help round up the cows
(c) to treat an ill horse
(d) to help deliver a calf
7. Who does Herriot begin to date regularly?
8. After "bleeding" the animal, what does Dr. Farnon prescribe?
(a) letting it stand in a stream
(b) no food for 3 days
(c) a round of antibiotics
(d) a new trial vaccine
9. What annual work-related event is taking place in this chapter?
(a) the time when piglets are born
(b) the start of horse racing season
(c) tuberculosis tests are done
(d) the time when lambs are born
10. What activity to Denham and Herriot share in common?
(a) they both date Helen
(b) they both bet in the football pools
(c) they are both vets
(d) they both drive Austins
11. Where are the cattle's identifying tattoos located?
(a) on their ears
(b) on their hips
(c) on their bellies
(d) on their front shoulders
12. What does Dr. Farnon have a chance to do while at the horsetrack?
(a) eat at a very exclusive restaurant
(b) meet with the governor of Yorkshire
(c) help the veterinarian with a horse that is down
(d) ride in a Rolls Royce
13. What method does Dr. Farnon use to finally convince The Major to pay his bill?
(a) he sends Tristan to collect the money
(b) he goes and confronts him
(c) he sends Herriot to collect the money
(d) none, he never gets him to pay
14. What does Dr. Farnon use to clean the windshield of his car?
(a) a dead chicken
(b) a lady's scarf
(c) his coat
(d) his tie
15. Where do Herriot and Helen go on their second date?
(a) to the cinema
(b) to the hotel restaurant
(c) to a dance
(d) on a walk
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tristan end up driving the Austin?
2. What does he have to do to the animals?
3. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
4. What are they doing the first time he asks her out?
5. Who helps Herriot treat Dan?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)