|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal does Dr. Farnon treat for a Gypsy family?
(a) a billy goat
(b) a milk cow
(c) a pony
(d) a bullock
2. To whom does the dog named Dan belong?
3. In chapter 46, Herriot has a theory which might be summed up by saying what?
(a) women faint quicker than men
(b) the big ones always pass out first
(c) men faint quicker than women
(d) smaller farmers are more apt to faint
4. What ultimately happens to the Rudd's animal in chapter 54?
(a) it dies during the night
(b) it must be put down
(c) it dies while Herriot is working on it
(d) it makes a full recovery
5. What are they doing the first time he asks her out?
(a) washing dishes
(b) watching a concert
(c) working on a calf
(d) walking in a meadow
6. What problem does Dr. Farnon constantly have to battle?
(a) Herriot's incompetence
(c) non-paying clients
(d) his temper
7. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
(a) she is from Herriot's home town
(b) she is blind
(c) she is a young woman about Herriot's age
(d) she is married to a very mean man
8. What does Dr. Farnon convince Herriot to do?
(a) ask Helen to marry him (Herriot)
(b) begin to mentor Tristan
(c) buy the Austin
(d) take over the practice
9. What happens to Herriot?
(a) he goes back to Helen's house and spends the night
(b) he and Tristan have a fight
(c) he sleeps in the Austin overnight
(d) he gets lost while walking in the blizzard
10. What special talent does Sam Broadbent possess ?
(a) he can whistle loudly
(b) he can sound like a fly
(c) he can run really fast
(d) he can ride a horse really well
11. After "bleeding" the animal, what does Dr. Farnon prescribe?
(a) a round of antibiotics
(b) no food for 3 days
(c) letting it stand in a stream
(d) a new trial vaccine
12. Why is Herriot called to the Alderson's home?
(a) to put down a horse
(b) to operate on their dog
(c) because Helen's mother is ill
(d) to help deliver a calf
13. What has Dick Rudd just purchased?
(a) an award winning show dog
(b) a prize Shorthorn cow
(c) a registered stallion
(d) a whole flock of sheep
14. Who helps Herriot treat Dan?
(b) Dr. Farnon
15. In the end, what does Herriot buy from the butcher?
(a) a bone saw
(b) a car
(d) some bad meat
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
2. Herriot is treating a sick calf, what is the diagnosis?
3. What method does Dr. Farnon use to finally convince The Major to pay his bill?
4. Who are the Taveners?
5. What activity is Herriot involved in which is illegal?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)