|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What annual work-related event is taking place in this chapter?
(a) tuberculosis tests are done
(b) the time when piglets are born
(c) the start of horse racing season
(d) the time when lambs are born
2. What does Tristan think is causing Herriot be so frustrated?
(a) his relationship with Dr. Farnon
(b) his relationship with Helen
(c) his misdiagnosis of the calf
(d) the fact he hurt his foot when he kicked a box
3. Who does Herriot have to borrow shoes from?
(a) Angus Grier
(c) Dr. Farnon
(d) Helen's father
4. What is wrong the the man who collapses in front of Herriot and Helen?
(a) he is having a seizure
(b) he has had a heart attack
(c) he is drunk
(d) he has been shot
5. What kind of animal does Dr. Farnon treat for a Gypsy family?
(a) a pony
(b) a bullock
(c) a billy goat
(d) a milk cow
6. Why does Tristan end up driving the Austin?
(a) he has sold his car
(b) he had wrecked his own car
(c) his car has a bad battery
(d) its the only car the veterinarians own
7. What is Herriot taking out of a cow's stomach when one farmer faints?
(a) a rubber ball
(b) a nail
(c) a poisonous plant
(d) a wire
8. Who are the Taveners?
(a) a poor family who own a pig that Herriot treats
(b) a family of 8 who have a Shorthorn cow that Herriot treats
(c) a family of 6 who raise sheep
(d) a wealthy family who own a dog that Herriot treats
9. What major event happens in Herriot's life in this final chapter?
(a) he starts his own practice
(b) he finally buys his own place
(c) Dr. Farnon dies
(d) he marries Helen
10. On another occasion when a farmer faints, Herriot leaves the farmer's change on a pail, how much does the farmer say he is short?
(a) 1 pound
(b) a shilling
(c) 1 mil
(d) 10 shillings
11. Who is Mr. Worley?
(a) the local constable
(b) a grocer
(c) a neighoring vet
(d) a pig farmer and inn keeper
12. What happens to Miss Stubbs' animals when she dies?
(a) Herriot must find homes for them
(b) they are given to Miss Stubbs many friends
(c) they are put down
(d) her housekeeper takes them
13. What are they doing the first time he asks her out?
(a) watching a concert
(b) working on a calf
(c) walking in a meadow
(d) washing dishes
14. What method does Dr. Farnon use to finally convince The Major to pay his bill?
(a) none, he never gets him to pay
(b) he sends Herriot to collect the money
(c) he goes and confronts him
(d) he sends Tristan to collect the money
15. Who are the Bramleys?
(a) a poor family with 7 children
(b) the family who owns the house where Helen lives
(c) a family of 4 bachelors and a sister who is a spinster
(d) a family with a prize Shorthorn cow
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Herriot treat Dan?
2. Why does Herriot smell like flowers?
3. What is wrong with Helen's animal?
4. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
5. To whom does the dog named Dan belong?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)