|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the animal?
(a) lead poisoning
(c) milk fever
2. Who does Herriot begin to date regularly?
3. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
(a) Helen's shyness
(b) Helen's boyfriend
(c) Helen lives so far away
(d) his own shyness
4. While he is at the Alderson home, what does Herriot ask Mr. Alderson?
(a) if he can marry Helen
(b) if he can go to work on his farm
(c) if he can take Helen to London
(d) if he can buy his car
5. What joke does a farmer play on Herriot?
(a) has him check out a sheep that is really a goat
(b) has him try to catch some wild cattle
(c) has him check the udders on a bull
(d) has him check out a mean cow
6. What kind of animals does Herriot treat, with a new vaccine, for the Bramleys?
7. Who does Herriot have to borrow shoes from?
(a) Angus Grier
(b) Helen's father
(d) Dr. Farnon
8. How does Tristan wreck the Austin?
(a) he leaves it out of gear
(b) he hits a fence
(c) he side swipes another car
(d) he runs into a ditch
9. After "bleeding" the animal, what does Dr. Farnon prescribe?
(a) no food for 3 days
(b) a new trial vaccine
(c) a round of antibiotics
(d) letting it stand in a stream
10. What does Herriot do so he can see Helen more often?
(a) he takes her to a dance every week
(b) he calls her often
(c) he joins the music society
(d) he checks on her animals on a regular basis
11. What character interrupts the trip to the Northwest Racing Circuit?
(a) Phin Cannon
(c) Stewie Brannon
(d) Mr. Tavener
12. What method does Dr. Farnon use to finally convince The Major to pay his bill?
(a) none, he never gets him to pay
(b) he sends Tristan to collect the money
(c) he sends Herriot to collect the money
(d) he goes and confronts him
13. What ultimately happens to the Rudd's animal in chapter 54?
(a) it makes a full recovery
(b) it dies during the night
(c) it dies while Herriot is working on it
(d) it must be put down
14. What does he have to do to the animals?
(a) give them shots
(b) float their teeth
(c) worm them
(d) trim their hooves
15. Where are the cattle's identifying tattoos located?
(a) on their front shoulders
(b) on their hips
(c) on their ears
(d) on their bellies
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Herriot treat Dan?
2. What is wrong with Helen's animal?
3. To whom does the dog named Dan belong?
4. In chapter 46, Herriot has a theory which might be summed up by saying what?
5. Why does Herriot smell like flowers?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)