|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are they doing the first time he asks her out?
(a) working on a calf
(b) watching a concert
(c) walking in a meadow
(d) washing dishes
2. Why is Herriot caught in a fierce snow storm?
(a) he was out too late with Helen
(b) he stayed too late a pub and drank too much
(c) he trying to find a farm to answer a call
(d) Tristan took a wrong turn and they got lost
3. Why is progress so difficult for Herriot to make with his relationship with Helen?
(a) Helen's shyness
(b) Helen's boyfriend
(c) his own shyness
(d) Helen lives so far away
4. Who is Queenie?
(a) Mr. Worley's dog
(b) Mr. Worley's sow
(c) Mr. Worley's milk cow
(d) Mr. Worley's horse
5. Why does Dr. Farnon fuss at Herriot?
(a) for denting up the car
(b) for not telling him about the car
(c) for not having Tristan fix the car
(d) for not fixing the car
6. Who are the Altons?
(a) a poor family with a prize pig that Herriot treats
(b) a family of 8 who have a Shorthorn cow that Herriot treats
(c) a wealthy family who own a dog that Herriot treats
(d) a family of 6 who raise sheep
7. What happens when Tristan drives the Land Rover?
(a) he is sideswiped by another car
(b) he hits a parked truck
(c) he falls asleep and runs off the road
(d) it breaks down in the middle of a rain storm
8. What problem does Dr. Farnon have with the local butcher?
(a) he won't pay his bill
(b) he has complained about Herriot
(c) he sales bad meat
(d) he has overcharged Dr. Farnon for some sausage
9. Who is Harold Denham?
(a) a local millionaire
(b) a local pub owner
(c) a local constable
(d) a local farmer
10. What happens to Connie and Herriot?
(a) they get lost walking a night
(b) they are caught in a terrible thunderstorm
(c) they get drunk and fall in the mud
(d) they have a car wreck
11. What kind of dog does Denham have?
(a) a great dane
(b) an english bulldog
(c) a yorkshire terrier
(d) an english setter
12. What character interrupts the trip to the Northwest Racing Circuit?
(a) Mr. Tavener
(b) Stewie Brannon
(d) Phin Cannon
13. What is unique about Helen compared to the other characters in the book?
(a) she is from Herriot's home town
(b) she is married to a very mean man
(c) she is a young woman about Herriot's age
(d) she is blind
14. What problem does Herriot help the butcher solve?
(a) how to get his car running
(b) how to pay his bill to Dr. Farnon
(c) how to tell if meat is tainted
(d) the birth of twin calves
15. How does Tristan wreck the Austin?
(a) he side swipes another car
(b) he runs into a ditch
(c) he leaves it out of gear
(d) he hits a fence
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they go to eat?
2. What happens to Herriot?
3. To whom does the dog named Dan belong?
4. Why is Herriot called to the Alderson's home?
5. What kind of animals does Herriot treat, with a new vaccine, for the Bramleys?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)