|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Harbottle come to the vet's office?
(a) she is expecting
(b) because of Tristan's mistakes
(c) because she is attracted to Dr. Farnon
(d) because of a sick animal
2. Tristan does not do his new job well, what is the result?
(a) the house begins to become dirty and cluttered
(b) the animals begin to suffer
(c) urgent calls are missed
(d) many angry clients
3. What interesting custom does Herriot observe in the Cooper's home?
(a) putting their feet in hot water
(b) eating fresh sausage
(c) not speaking at a meal
(d) eating a meal on the floor
4. Who is supposed to answer the phone each morning at the vet's office?
5. Who invites Herriot to a party?
(b) Tricki Woo
(c) Dr. Farnon
6. Spring is also the time when what procedure is done on yearling horses?
(a) their hoofs are trimmed
(c) their hoofs are shod
(d) they must be curried
7. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
(a) that he will only use new scientific techniques
(b) that he didn't use new scientific techniques
(c) that he is so rough with the animals
(d) that he can't decide on appropriate treaments
8. What is the outcome of Herriot's treatment of the cow?
(a) he trys a new treatment and the calf is lost
(b) he trys a new treatment and the cow is saved
(c) he trys a new treatment and the cow dies
(d) he trys a new treatment and Dan Cooper is furious
9. What is wrong with the cow the vets visit in chapter 3?
(b) it has a sore mouth
(c) it needs help delivering
(d) it has a sore hoof
10. What does Mrs. Pumphrey say is Herriot's relationship to Nugent?
(a) she calls Herriot, Nugent's savior
(b) she calls Herriot, Nugent's father
(c) she calls Herriot, Nugent's uncle
(d) she calls Herriot, Nugent's cousin
11. What has just happened in Tristan's life?
(a) he has just left his wife
(b) he has just gotten out of jail
(c) he has just failed his veterinarian exams.
(d) he has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness
12. What is the result of Herriot's treatment of the animal?
(a) the cow delivers a calf
(b) the animal is put down
(c) complete recovery
(d) the boar is castrated
13. Who is Terry Watson?
(a) a new veterinarian
(b) a young poor farmer
(c) a pub owner
(d) a local knacker
14. Ticki Woo is ill, what is wrong?
(a) the dog has been in a fight
(b) the dog is malnurished
(c) the dog has a tumor
(d) the dog has been overfed
15. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
(a) in a client's barn
(b) in Dr. Farnon's car
(c) at a local pub
(d) near his veterinary school
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 20 who does Dr. Farnon confront?
2. Before Herriot and Ruth can leave what family event must take place?
3. What is a knacker?
4. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
5. In chapter 12, Tristan is given what responsibility?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)