|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 20 who does Dr. Farnon confront?
(d) Miss Harbottle
2. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
(a) that he can't decide on appropriate treaments
(b) that he is so rough with the animals
(c) that he will only use new scientific techniques
(d) that he didn't use new scientific techniques
3. What does Jeff Mallock do for a living?
(a) he is a vet
(b) he is a knacker
(c) he is a farmer
(d) he is a pub owner
4. In chapter 12, Tristan is given what responsibility?
(a) becoming the housekeeper
(b) answering the early morning calls
(c) taking care of monthly billing and receipts
(d) feeding the stock animals
5. Before Herriot and Ruth can leave what family event must take place?
(a) Ruth must read to her younger siblings
(b) saying goodbye to Ruth's brother
(c) family dinner
(d) children put to bed
6. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
(a) Dr. Harnon
(c) Miss Harbottle
7. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
(a) it can't get up
(b) excessive urination
(c) it has a tumor
(d) it has a bone in its throat
8. When the book begins what is James Herriot called to do?
(a) put down a horse
(b) operate on a dog who has be kicked by a horse
(c) help a bull which has gone down and cannot get up
(d) deliver a calf
9. When Mrs. Pumphrey calls again about Nugent, what problem does she say he has?
(a) he has become to agressive
(b) milk fever
(c) he will not eat
(d) excessive urination
10. Who is Angus Grier?
(a) a local farmer
(b) a neighboring veterinarian
(c) the local parson
(d) a pub owner
11. What is the treatment that the doctors' recommend?
(a) Ticki Woo is put on a liquid diet
(b) Ticki Woo is sewn up
(c) Ticki Woo has to have surgery
(d) Ticki Woo is to come stay at Skedale House for 2 weeks
12. What other diagnosis does Herriot make?
(a) lead poisoning
(b) a weak heart
(c) a broken pelvis
(d) torn ligaments
13. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
(a) Don Collins
(c) Angus Grier
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey
14. Tristan does not do his new job well, what is the result?
(a) many angry clients
(b) urgent calls are missed
(c) the animals begin to suffer
(d) the house begins to become dirty and cluttered
15. Chapter 16 is occupied primarily with the story of Tristan and what task?
(a) Cleaning the house
(b) Working the hunting mare
(c) Feeding the pigs
(d) Trying to get the hens to lay eggs
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been taking money from the petty cash box?
2. Dr. Farnon has to do surgery on a cow that has what problem?
3. What problem do the six steers have in this chapter?
4. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
5. What does Herriot realize is true about Angus Grier and Mrs. Mallard
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)