|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Herriot's efforts?
(a) Uncle goes and gets a better qualified vet
(b) the bull has to be put down
(c) a live calf is born
(d) Uncle helps Herriot bury the horse
2. When the book begins what is James Herriot called to do?
(a) put down a horse
(b) operate on a dog who has be kicked by a horse
(c) deliver a calf
(d) help a bull which has gone down and cannot get up
3. In chapter nine Tristan and Herriot treat a cow with a condition called prolapse, what is this?
(a) a cow lapses into a coma like state
(b) a cow cannot give milk after a birth
(c) a cow cannot deliver its calf
(d) a cow's uterus ends up outside the body after a delivery
4. Spring brings a new activity for Herriot, what is it?
(a) delivering calves
5. Who goes to Crawford's farm to deliver some ointment?
(a) Dr. Harnon
(b) Miss Harbottle
6. Ruth Bellerby asks Herriot to take her to what event?
(a) a carnival
(b) the fair
(d) a concert
7. Who is Nugent?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey's pig
(b) Mrs. Pumphrey's child
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey's servant
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey's dog
8. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
(a) under the house
(b) in a tree
(c) in a neighbor's garden
(d) they are not found
9. What interesting custom does Herriot observe in the Cooper's home?
(a) putting their feet in hot water
(b) eating fresh sausage
(c) not speaking at a meal
(d) eating a meal on the floor
10. What is wrong with the first horse Herriot helps treat?
(a) it has a sore mouth
(b) a sore hoof
(c) it is foundered
11. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
(a) Don Collins
(c) Angus Grier
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey
12. Where does the dog spend the night?
(a) in Herriot's room
(b) in Tristan's room
(c) in front of the fire
(d) outside on the porch
13. In this chapter what two animals are lost?
(a) two goats
(b) a dog and a cow
(c) a pig and a mare
(d) two hens
14. What job does Tristan have to do for Dr. Farnon?
(a) deliver a calf
(b) clean the house
(c) lance a sow's ear
(d) work out his hunting mare
15. What does Herriot help Grier do?
(a) prepare for a party
(b) birth a calf
(c) deliver some pups
(d) cleanse a cow
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Farnon's procedure results in better health for the cow, what is the other result?
2. Who has been taking money from the petty cash box?
3. What is wrong with the cow the vets visit in chapter 3?
4. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
5. What is the effect of her ailment?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)