|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal does Mrs. Pumphrey have?
(a) a cat
(b) a cow
(c) a goat
(d) a dog
2. Herriot and Grier are both of what ancestry?
(a) they are both Irish
(b) they are both from Wales
(c) they are both Scots
(d) they are both French
3. Herriot is injured while trying to operate on what kind of animal?
(a) a ram
(b) a boar hog
(c) a bull
(d) a stallion
4. Tristan next is asked to care for a dog which has what problem?
(a) it is lame
(b) it has just had a tumor removed
(c) it is about to have puppies
(d) it has been abandoned
5. In chapter 37, Herriot does surgery on a dog that has what problem?
(a) a rubber ball in its stomach
(b) it has been in a fight
(c) a tumor
(d) it needs to be castrated
6. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
(a) put down a sick lamb
(b) put down a prize horse
(c) put down a family's only milk cow
(d) put an elderly man's dog down
7. Who tells the story about the sow's ear?
(b) Dr. Harnon
(d) Miss Harbottle
8. Who is Miss Harbottle?
(a) one of Dr. Farnon's followers
(b) a new client
(c) a new accountant
(d) Tristan's girlfriend
9. Crawford, a local farmer complains about whom, at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Dr. Harnon
(d) Miss Harbottle
10. Herriot treats a cow in this chapter, what is her ailment?
(a) a prolapse
(c) cannot deliver
(d) milk fever
11. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
(a) in a tree
(b) they are not found
(c) under the house
(d) in a neighbor's garden
12. In chapter 12, Tristan is given what responsibility?
(a) feeding the stock animals
(b) answering the early morning calls
(c) taking care of monthly billing and receipts
(d) becoming the housekeeper
13. What is a knacker?
(a) it is an ailment in cows
(b) a person who takes and uses or sells spare animal renderings
(c) it is a poisonous plant
(d) it is a person who works for a pub owner
14. Before Herriot and Ruth can leave what family event must take place?
(a) family dinner
(b) saying goodbye to Ruth's brother
(c) Ruth must read to her younger siblings
(d) children put to bed
15. What is the effect of her ailment?
(a) she becomes violent
(b) she cannot eat
(c) she cannot give milk
(d) she cannot get up
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Angus Grier?
2. This chapter highlights a character fault of Dr. Farnon, what is it?
3. In chapter 24, there is another problem between what two characters?
4. What problem do the six steers have in this chapter?
5. What is the name of Dr. Farnon's home?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)