|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter highlights a character fault of Dr. Farnon, what is it?
(a) he misuses his money
(b) his lack of consistency
(c) he constantly lies
(d) he drinks heavily
2. When the book begins what is James Herriot called to do?
(a) help a bull which has gone down and cannot get up
(b) operate on a dog who has be kicked by a horse
(c) put down a horse
(d) deliver a calf
3. Who is ill in this chapter?
(b) Angus Grier
(c) Ticki Woo
4. What is a knacker?
(a) a person who takes and uses or sells spare animal renderings
(b) it is an ailment in cows
(c) it is a person who works for a pub owner
(d) it is a poisonous plant
5. This animal has a number of health issues, many are caused by what?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey is poor
(b) Mrs. Pumphrey pampers her animal too much
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey is ill
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey is too old to care for her animal
6. What does Jeff Mallock do for a living?
(a) he is a knacker
(b) he is a pub owner
(c) he is a vet
(d) he is a farmer
7. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
(a) it can't get up
(b) it has a bone in its throat
(c) excessive urination
(d) it has a tumor
8. Who is supposed to answer the phone each morning at the vet's office?
9. What does Herriot realize is true about Angus Grier and Mrs. Mallard
(a) they are neighbors
(b) they are having an affair
(c) they are siblings
(d) they are enemies
10. In chapter 5 Herriot is called to treat a horse that is afflicted with torsion, what is this ailment?
(a) The intestines are twisted
(c) the ears are infected
(d) swollen joints
11. This chapter reveals that Dr. Farnon has a surprising following of _____________.
(a) cattle breeders
12. Herriot falls asleep after the party while he is doing what?
(a) talking to Ruth
(b) driving home
(c) meeting with a client
(d) delivering a piglet
13. Herriot is called home because the hen's have escaped; where are they found?
(a) in a tree
(b) under the house
(c) in a neighbor's garden
(d) they are not found
14. Herriot treats a cow in this chapter, what is her ailment?
(a) a prolapse
(b) milk fever
(c) cannot deliver
15. The Copfield farm is known for what?
(a) wild cattle
(b) the size of its hogs
(c) the stable of horses
(d) the wool from its sheep
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Farnon wants the practice to be more professional so he breaks out what new item?
2. In chapter nine Tristan and Herriot treat a cow with a condition called prolapse, what is this?
3. What problem do the six steers have in this chapter?
4. Chapter 16 is occupied primarily with the story of Tristan and what task?
5. Spring brings a new activity for Herriot, what is it?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)