|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herriot and Grier are both of what ancestry?
(a) they are both Scots
(b) they are both French
(c) they are both from Wales
(d) they are both Irish
2. Where does the dog spend the night?
(a) in front of the fire
(b) outside on the porch
(c) in Herriot's room
(d) in Tristan's room
3. What treatment does Herriot recommend and finally carry out?
(a) he puts the horse down
(b) he rubs down the horse with marshmellow ointment
(c) he sits up with the horse until the colic passes
(d) he gives the horse a painkilling shot
4. What interesting custom does Herriot observe in the Cooper's home?
(a) not speaking at a meal
(b) eating fresh sausage
(c) eating a meal on the floor
(d) putting their feet in hot water
5. Who is ill in this chapter?
(a) Ticki Woo
(d) Angus Grier
6. Dr. Farnon and Herriot stop at what location on their way home?
(a) the home of Farnon's mistress
(b) the parson's house
(c) a local pub
(d) a local farm
7. In chapter 20 who does Dr. Farnon confront?
(a) Miss Harbottle
8. What is Herriot doing when he first meets Dr. Farnon?
(a) sleeping in the garden
(b) talking to the housekeeper
(c) setting in the parlor
(d) helping a client
9. Who is Nugent?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey's dog
(b) Mrs. Pumphrey's servant
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey's child
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey's pig
10. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
(a) that he didn't use new scientific techniques
(b) that he will only use new scientific techniques
(c) that he can't decide on appropriate treaments
(d) that he is so rough with the animals
11. Herriot treats a cow in this chapter, what is her ailment?
(a) a prolapse
(c) milk fever
(d) cannot deliver
12. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
(a) near his veterinary school
(b) at a local pub
(c) in Dr. Farnon's car
(d) in a client's barn
13. Tristan does not do his new job well, what is the result?
(a) the house begins to become dirty and cluttered
(b) many angry clients
(c) the animals begin to suffer
(d) urgent calls are missed
14. What is the outcome of Herriot's treatment of the cow?
(a) he trys a new treatment and the cow is saved
(b) he trys a new treatment and the cow dies
(c) he trys a new treatment and Dan Cooper is furious
(d) he trys a new treatment and the calf is lost
15. In chapter 5 Herriot is called to treat a horse that is afflicted with torsion, what is this ailment?
(a) swollen joints
(b) the ears are infected
(c) The intestines are twisted
Short Answer Questions
1. During this account an animal does something to Herriot, what is it?
2. What is the effect of her ailment?
3. Who is Angus Grier?
4. What is unusual about his appearance when he arrives at this farm?
5. What is the name of Dr. Farnon's home?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)