|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 11, what must Herriot do, which is difficult?
(a) put down a family's only milk cow
(b) put an elderly man's dog down
(c) put down a sick lamb
(d) put down a prize horse
2. What has just happened in Tristan's life?
(a) he has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness
(b) he has just left his wife
(c) he has just gotten out of jail
(d) he has just failed his veterinarian exams.
3. What is wrong with the cow the vets visit in chapter 3?
(b) it needs help delivering
(c) it has a sore hoof
(d) it has a sore mouth
4. When the book begins what is James Herriot called to do?
(a) help a bull which has gone down and cannot get up
(b) put down a horse
(c) operate on a dog who has be kicked by a horse
(d) deliver a calf
5. This animal has a number of health issues, many are caused by what?
(a) Mrs. Pumphrey is poor
(b) Mrs. Pumphrey is ill
(c) Mrs. Pumphrey pampers her animal too much
(d) Mrs. Pumphrey is too old to care for her animal
6. What is the outcome of Herriot's efforts?
(a) Uncle helps Herriot bury the horse
(b) the bull has to be put down
(c) a live calf is born
(d) Uncle goes and gets a better qualified vet
7. What illness does Dan Cooper's cow have?
(c) can't deliver a calf
(d) milk fever
8. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
(a) near his veterinary school
(b) in Dr. Farnon's car
(c) at a local pub
(d) in a client's barn
9. What is given to Herriot at the end of this chapter?
(a) a bag of coins
(b) a bottle of wine
(c) a used cigar
(d) a cup of coffee
10. A local resident shares a remedy for lameness with Herriot; what is the remedy?
(a) marshmellow ointment
(c) mustard ointment
(d) wild onion ointment
11. Who invites Herriot to a party?
(c) Tricki Woo
(d) Dr. Farnon
12. What other diagnosis does Herriot make?
(a) a weak heart
(b) torn ligaments
(c) lead poisoning
(d) a broken pelvis
13. What about Herriot is a surprise to Phin Calvert?
(a) that he can't decide on appropriate treaments
(b) that he didn't use new scientific techniques
(c) that he will only use new scientific techniques
(d) that he is so rough with the animals
14. Spring is also the time when what procedure is done on yearling horses?
(a) they must be curried
(c) their hoofs are shod
(d) their hoofs are trimmed
15. Who is Tristan?
(a) Dr. Farnon's brother
(b) Dr. Farnon's cousin
(c) Herriot's brother
(d) Herriot's cousin
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of her ailment?
2. What kind of animal does Terry Watson own and Herriot treats?
3. Ruth Bellerby asks Herriot to take her to what event?
4. Herriot is given what type of car to drive?
5. Herriot has to go and stay with what character?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)