|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Herriot and Ruth can leave what family event must take place?
(a) Ruth must read to her younger siblings
(b) children put to bed
(c) saying goodbye to Ruth's brother
(d) family dinner
2. Dr. Farnon wants the practice to be more professional so he breaks out what new item?
(a) a new car
(b) a new white coat
(c) new surgery instruments
(d) a new operating table
3. What is given to Herriot at the end of this chapter?
(a) a bag of coins
(b) a bottle of wine
(c) a cup of coffee
(d) a used cigar
4. What is the name of Dr. Farnon's home?
(a) Darrowby House
(b) Skedale House
(c) Farnon House
(d) Yorkshire House
5. What is the central issue that Dr. Farnon raises in this confrontation?
(a) Tristan's lack of responsibility
(b) Herriot's handling of animals
(c) Ruth's advances toward him
(d) Miss Harbottle's handling of the finances
6. What gift is Herriot given as payment for this act?
(a) a bottle of wine
(b) a bag of coins
(c) a used cigar
(d) dinner with the family
7. During this account an animal does something to Herriot, what is it?
(a) a dog bites him on the hand
(b) a horse kicks him
(c) a cat attacks him
(d) a horse picks him up by its mouth
8. What does Mrs. Mallard say is wrong with her dog?
(a) it has a bone in its throat
(b) it has a tumor
(c) it can't get up
(d) excessive urination
9. Dr. Farnon and Herriot stop at what location on their way home?
(a) the parson's house
(b) the home of Farnon's mistress
(c) a local pub
(d) a local farm
10. Who is ill in this chapter?
(b) Ticki Woo
(c) Angus Grier
11. What is the treatment that the doctors' recommend?
(a) Ticki Woo is sewn up
(b) Ticki Woo has to have surgery
(c) Ticki Woo is put on a liquid diet
(d) Ticki Woo is to come stay at Skedale House for 2 weeks
12. Chapter 16 is occupied primarily with the story of Tristan and what task?
(a) Trying to get the hens to lay eggs
(b) Feeding the pigs
(c) Cleaning the house
(d) Working the hunting mare
13. In this chapter what two animals are lost?
(a) a pig and a mare
(b) two hens
(c) a dog and a cow
(d) two goats
14. Who is Terry Watson?
(a) a local knacker
(b) a new veterinarian
(c) a pub owner
(d) a young poor farmer
15. What ailment does Mr. Handshaw's cow have?
(a) she is trying to deliver
(b) milk fever
(d) she is malnurished
Short Answer Questions
1. Herriot is given what type of car to drive?
2. This animal has a number of health issues, many are caused by what?
3. What interesting custom does Herriot observe in the Cooper's home?
4. Dr. Farnon's procedure results in better health for the cow, what is the other result?
5. Chapter 18 focuses on Herriot remembering an event which took place where?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)