Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3
* The reader is introduced to James Herriot, who delivers the first of many animals in the book.
* Herriot meets Dr. Farnon for whom he will be working.
* Herriot has his job interview and goes with Dr. Farnon as he makes his calls.
Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6
* Dr. Farnon takes Herriot to a local pub and makes a job offer.
* Herriot takes his first call alone and must put down a horse.
* Dr. Farnon supports Herriot's decision to put down the horse.
* Tristan, Dr. Farnon's brother arrives.
Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9
* Tristan begins to prove his lack of competence.
* Herriot begins to fall in love with the area.
* Herriot begins to see Dr. Farnon's contradictory nature.
* Herriot is given the Austin to drive.
Chapter 10 | Chapter 11 | Chapter 12
* Herriot goes to a concert with the Bellerby family.
* Herriot puts down an old man's best friend, his dog.
* Tristan messes up...
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)