|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gerda's brother's name?
2. Where do the occupants of the Ghetto fear they will be sent?
3. What happens to Erika's mother and little brother?
4. After being separated from her mother, Gerda is sent to what town?
5. Upon her arrival at Abek's family home, who welcomes Gerda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Gerda take the opportunity to work with Abek's sisters?
2. What type of flower would Gerda pick with her mother?
3. What does Arthur give Gerda?
4. What changes take place once the Nazis take over?
5. After the invasion, what are the Jews forced to do?
6. What does Julius make Gerda promise?
7. What does the family receive from Arthur?
8. Gerda and other girls are sent to what camp?
9. What does Gerda's family give her for her birthday?
10. How many Jews are left in the city of Bielitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter, a friend of Arthur, visits the family to explain that Arthur's letters are being delayed by censors. Why does Peter fabricate this story? What do you think happens to Peter? Do you feel that Peter's character was a necessary part of the story? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Gerda gets married and moves to the US with her husband, Kurt Klein. Do you feel she should return to Poland to search for any remaining family or friends?
a. How has Gerda been able to honor the memories of her family and friends?
b. How has Gerda's experiences made her stronger?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, the Jews were dehumanized.
a. How did the Germans succeed in taking away their humanity.
b. What did the Germans do to make the Jews the enemy?
c. How did the Nazis make the Jews feel?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)