|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jews forced to give up after the invasion?
2. Does Gerda think of the present situation she lives in?
3. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
4. What is Gerda's mother's name?
5. What do the Germans decide to take from Gerda's friend, Ilse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Gerda receive a letter from, and what is the letter about?
2. Who visits Gerda's father while he is sick?
3. What is ALL BUT MY LIFE about?
4. After the invasion, what are the Jews forced to do?
5. What does Gerda attempt to console herself with as things change?
6. Why does Arthur go to visit his girlfriend and what does he find?
7. What does Abek promise to bring Julius?
8. Where does Gerda meet Abek?
9. What does the family receive from Arthur?
10. What is taken from Gerda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, some of the characters acquire poison for themselves of for their children. Why do some of the families force their children to take the poison?
a. Do you feel that this is necessary?
b. Does Gerda ever use the poison that she traded her pendant for?
Essay Topic 2
Early on in the story, the Weissmanns receive a note in the mail saying that all men between the age of 16-50 must register. Why did they only want men? Why doesn't Arthur want Gerda to go to the train with him to say goodbye? Do you think that Arthur or David could have escaped or hidden so as not to be taken away? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerda's family (and others) puts up little or no resistance against the Germans when they were invaded. Why didn't more Jews resist? Do you think that resisting against German forces would have helped or made things worse? Why were Gerda's neighbors giving the Germans flowers and praise?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)