|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gerda longs for what season to come and make her feel better?
2. Who does Gerda convince to let her visit Abek's family?
3. What type of waltzes did they listen to on the trip?
4. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
5. What rumors were prevalent while Gerda was on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the invasion, what are the Jews forced to do?
2. How many Jews are left in the city of Bielitz?
3. What does Arthur give Gerda?
4. What must Jews wear sewn on their clothes?
5. To what camp is Julius to be moved?
6. What does Julius make Gerda promise?
7. Who does Gerda receive a letter from, and what is the letter about?
8. How long does it take the Germans to conquer Poland?
9. Gerda and other girls are sent to what camp?
10. Why does Arthur go to visit his girlfriend and what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerda is 15-years-old when the Nazis are invading her small town of Belitz, Poland. She is 21 when the war comes to an end. Compare and contrast the life of a typical girl who is 15-21 years old to the life that Gerda is forced to live.
a. What experiences would a 15-21 year old girl have (specifically)?
b. How does being in a concentration camp affect her physically and emotionally?
c. How does being separated from her family change the way she develops?
Essay Topic 2
In several parts of the story Gerda mentions the garden that once belonged to her family:
a. What was special about the garden in Gerda's mind?
b. How did the garden play a part in her father's recovery?
c. Why was Gerda forced to say goodbye to the garden she loved so much?
Essay Topic 3
Early on in the story, the Weissmanns receive a note in the mail saying that all men between the age of 16-50 must register. Why did they only want men? Why doesn't Arthur want Gerda to go to the train with him to say goodbye? Do you think that Arthur or David could have escaped or hidden so as not to be taken away? Why or Why not?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)