|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Arthur?
2. After being separated from her mother, Gerda is sent to what town?
3. Does Gerda think of the present situation she lives in?
4. Soon after the invasion, what do all townspeople have to do?
5. What time period does the book take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arthur go to visit his girlfriend and what does he find?
2. What changes take place once the Nazis take over?
3. Who visits Gerda's father while he is sick?
4. What horrible sign is hanging when Mr. Pipersberg goes to the factory?
5. What does the family receive from Arthur?
6. What is Gerda's last meal with her family?
7. What type of flower would Gerda pick with her mother?
8. Where do Gerda and her family live in the Ghetto?
9. To what camp is Julius to be moved?
10. How long does it take the Germans to conquer Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerda had received many letters from Abe throughout the story, one of which was a hand written letter from her father.
a. Why did Abek not want to send Gerda the letter from her father?
b. Did the letters from Abek make Gerda happy? Why or Why not?
c. Why does Gerda send Abek a letter agreeing to marry him if she had no intentions of doing so?
Essay Topic 2
Gerda creates her own propaganda to keep up the girls' spirits. Does this help them carry on? Do you think it was the right thing to do? What other ways could Gerda help the girls to keep them optimistic?
Essay Topic 3
During the war, Gerda meets a character named Frau Kugler. In what way was the character relevant to the story?
a. Why does Frau Kugler help Gerda during the book?
b. Do you feel that this character had a positive or negative effect on Gerda's views of the Germans?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)