|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Germans decide to take from Gerda's friend, Ilse?
2. Where does Gerda lose Arthur's present?
3. What makes Gerda rethink rejecting the offer?
4. What news does Gerda's family receive in mid October?
5. What do Gerda and Helene conceal from Julius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerda attempt to console herself with as things change?
2. After the invasion, what are the Jews forced to do?
3. What does Abek promise to bring Julius?
4. Does Gerda take the opportunity to work with Abek's sisters?
5. What is ALL BUT MY LIFE about?
6. How many Jews are left in the city of Bielitz?
7. Why didn't Gerda's family escape sooner?
8. What type of flower would Gerda pick with her mother?
9. How is Mr. Pipersberg treated when he goes to check on the fur factory?
10. What must Jews wear sewn on their clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerda manages to survive despite many close encounters with death:
a. What gave her the courage to carry on and survive?
b. Is there anything that Gerda should have done differently?
c. How have her experiences shaped the person that she became?
Essay Topic 2
During the war, Gerda meets a character named Frau Kugler. In what way was the character relevant to the story?
a. Why does Frau Kugler help Gerda during the book?
b. Do you feel that this character had a positive or negative effect on Gerda's views of the Germans?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following questions to write about:
1. What two themes are the most prevalent in the book? Discuss the themes and describe two specific situations in which the themes are present.
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Kurt Klein and Abek. How are the men alike and different? How does one capture Gerda's heart while the other cannot?
3. The theme of fear is ever present during Gerda's imprisonment. Explain how fear cycles throughout the novel and amongst the girls in the camp.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)