|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the winter seem to be so long?
(a) This year it is a harsh, cold long winter.
(b) Gerda wondering where her family is.
(c) Gerda feels scared about what is to come.
(d) She never knows if she will survive to the next day.
2. Where must Jewish men register to work?
3. What happens to Mr. Pipersberg once he returns to the Weissmann home?
(a) He is beaten by Nazis.
(b) He is taken to prison.
(c) He steals all the Weissmann money.
(d) He is robbed.
4. What are the Polish people hopeful for?
(a) That they will be rescued by the Allies.
(b) They will be able to get themselves out of the country.
(c) Their lives will be spared if they barter with the Nazis.
(d) The Germans will leave soon.
5. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
(a) They revolt against the Nazis.
(b) Many do not know how to react.
(c) They welcome the Nazis and thank them for liberation.
(d) They come to the aide of their Jewish friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Gerda's birthday?
2. Why are Erika's mother and little brothers treated in this way by the soldiers?
3. What do Helene and Julius give Gerda for her birthday?
4. In the beginning of the novel, who is invading Gerda's hometown?
5. What do the Germans decide to take from Gerda's friend, Ilse?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what camp is Julius to be moved?
2. Where does Gerda meet Abek?
3. What must Jews wear sewn on their clothes?
4. What is Gerda's last meal with her family?
5. Where do Gerda and her family live in the Ghetto?
6. What changes take place once the Nazis take over?
7. What do the Weismanns sell to make ends meet?
8. Gerda and other girls are sent to what camp?
9. What is ALL BUT MY LIFE about?
10. Who does Gerda receive a letter from, and what is the letter about?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)