|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news crushes Gerda and her family's hopes and dreams?
(a) Arthur was injured in an attack.
(b) Julius has died.
(c) The family dog has died.
(d) Paris has been invaded by the Nazis.
2. What is wrong with Helene?
(a) She wishes for the Germans to leave her country.
(b) She feels sorry for herself.
(c) She is grieving Arthur.
(d) She misses her healthy husband.
3. What does Helene wish for Gerda to be throughout the rest of this horrible experience?
(a) To pray for her.
(b) She wants her daughter to be strong.
(c) Look for her brother.
(d) She hopes her daughter can die in peace.
4. Why are Erika's mother and little brothers treated in this way by the soldiers?
(a) They were treated very kindly by the Germans.
(b) In an attempt to dehumanize the Jews and their deaths.
(c) They escape before having to confront the Nazis.
(d) Because Erika's mother is a single woman who cannot defend herself.
5. What do the Germans decide to take from Gerda's friend, Ilse?
(a) Her Hair.
(b) Her time.
(c) Her piano.
(d) Her puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do non-Jewish Polish neighbors shout as the Germans enter the city?
2. Who does Gerda convince to let her visit Abek's family?
3. What young man does Gerda meet in this chapter and why does he visit her every day?
4. What is special about the last letter they receive in the chapter?
5. What is the family told is happening to Arthur's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Gerda's father while he is sick?
2. How long does it take the Germans to conquer Poland?
3. After the invasion, what are the Jews forced to do?
4. What does Gerda attempt to console herself with as things change?
5. How is Mr. Pipersberg treated when he goes to check on the fur factory?
6. How many Jews are left in the city of Bielitz?
7. What does Julius make Gerda promise?
8. What does the family receive from Arthur?
9. What is taken from Gerda?
10. Who does Gerda get to say goodbye to?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)