|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What young man does Gerda meet in this chapter and why does he visit her every day?
(a) Matthew Jacobson; He likes Gerda.
(b) Abek Feigenblatt; He is courting Gerda.
(c) Arthur Jacobson; He is courting Gerda.
(d) John Johnson; He needs helps with homework.
2. Why is Gerda's family concerned about the occupation of their town?
(a) They do not have money to pay off their creditors.
(b) They think all of their money will be stolen.
(c) They are concerned because they are of Jewish heritage.
(d) They fear the wrath of the Russians.
3. What do Helene and Julius give Gerda for her birthday?
(a) A beautiful dress.
(b) An orange.
(c) A makeup case.
(d) A doll.
4. What is given to Gerda so that she can get out of the country?
(a) A car.
(b) A different outfit.
(c) She is unable to get out of the country.
(d) Special identification.
5. What happens to many Jews after Christmas in Poland?
(a) The Germans leave.
(b) The Jew's food rations are cut in half.
(c) The Nazi's steal their hair.
(d) They are killed in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerda's father try to help his children?
2. Who takes Gerda to see Abek's family?
3. What is Gerda particularly stunned about?
4. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
5. Soon after the invasion, what do all townspeople have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes take place once the Nazis take over?
2. How many Jews are left in the city of Bielitz?
3. Where do Gerda and her family live in the Ghetto?
4. What horrible sign is hanging when Mr. Pipersberg goes to the factory?
5. Gerda and other girls are sent to what camp?
6. What must Jews wear sewn on their clothes?
7. Where does Gerda meet Abek?
8. What does Gerda attempt to console herself with as things change?
9. Why does Gerda decide to visit Sonowtiz?
10. What do the Weismanns sell to make ends meet?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)