|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jocasta Smollet always hateful of Phyllida Tallent?
2. Which character's innocence is doubted time and again?
3. Who assaults Phyllida Tallent at the graveyard?
4. What does Covey find at the grange?
5. Who leaves a note for Phyllida Tallent ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known of the attacker after he attacks Phyllida Tallent?
2. When and where is Phyllida Tallent attacked in chapter 17?
3. While at the manor taking inventory, what is the idea that Flick has?
4. What explanation does Appleby give for killing his friend in the army?
5. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
6. Why does Lucifer blame himself when Phyllida Tallent is attacked?
7. What is the transformation in the relationship of Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
8. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
9. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
10. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the factors responsible for the shift in Lucifer's thought process - from being a character who wants to avoid marriage to becoming a character who eventually falls in love and settles down.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's use of symbolism in the novel. Give examples of instances when the author makes use of them.
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent are the main characters in the novel around whom the story revolves. Compare and contrast the characters of Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)