|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when she goes to meet the person who leaves the note for her?
2. Where exactly is the place where the character is attacked in Chapter 11?
3. Where is the hat found by one of the characters?
4. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do we see in chapters12-13?
5. Which of the characters is suspected of murdering Horatio Welham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tactic Lucifer tries at the dance party to get Phyllida Tallent to tell him everything about the murder day?
2. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
3. What is known of the attacker after he attacks Phyllida Tallent?
4. Where and why does Silas Coombe assault Phyllida Tallent ?
5. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
6. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
7. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
8. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn about Cedric Fortemain's and his brother's paternity?
9. How does Appleby meet his death?
10. While at the manor taking inventory, what is the idea that Flick has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author make use of social gatherings, for example, dance parties, to further the investigation? Is it possible to do without the social gatherings in the novel? When do the social gatherings taken place in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the series of incidents that lead Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer to have their moments of passion? What do these incidents signify in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author show through her novel that family and friendships play a very important role in one's life?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)