|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taken hostage and held at knife-point at the manor?
2. Who wants Cedric Fortemain to marry Phyllida Tallent?
3. Where is the old valuable item that the murderer is looking for hidden?
4. Why is Phyllida Tallent going towards the manor?
5. Whom does Phyllida Tallent leave the ballroom with when at Ballyclose manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are both Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer doing at the ball thrown at Ballyclose manor?
2. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
3. Describe how Phyllida Tallent is attacked when she goes behind the church.
4. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
5. How do the hoof prints help further the investigation?
6. What is known of the attacker after he attacks Phyllida Tallent?
7. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
8. Why does Cedric Fortemain look like one of the suspects to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
9. While at the manor taking inventory, what is the idea that Flick has?
10. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a detailed account of the writing technique used by the author to describe how Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent carry out the murder investigation. Why does the author present it in this fashion? Does this writing technique add or take away from the story? Support your response with specific references to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The men in "All about love" are powerful men in all senses of the world - physically and mentally, sexually and socially. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Select one relationship in the novel and describe the motivating factors for changes in that relationship. How do those changes affect the plot?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)