|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who steps in to protect Phyllida Tallent from the assault at the graveyard?
2. What does Covey find at the grange?
3. Where is Phyllida Tallent when she is attacked at the ball?
4. What becomes of the relationship between Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer when Lucifer tells her that she will definitely marry him one day?
5. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities of Phyllida Tallent does Lucifer seem to be impressed with when they are traveling north?
2. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about Lucifer confronting her?
3. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
4. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
5. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
6. How does Appleby meet his death?
7. Why does Lucifer blame himself when Phyllida Tallent is attacked?
8. Describe how Phyllida Tallent is attacked when she goes behind the church.
9. Where is Phyllida Tallent attacked as seen in chapter 15?
10. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the town work together to bring justice to Horatio Welham? Consider the trap set up by Lucifer and Demon, and how the town is hiding, waiting for Appleby to show up.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author make use of social gatherings, for example, dance parties, to further the investigation? Is it possible to do without the social gatherings in the novel? When do the social gatherings taken place in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed account of the writing technique used by the author to describe how Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent carry out the murder investigation. Why does the author present it in this fashion? Does this writing technique add or take away from the story? Support your response with specific references to the novel.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)