|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucifer keep quiet when Phyllida Tallent uses herself as the bait to lure the attacker?
2. Which of the following characters dresses in men's clothes?
3. Whom does Lucifer write a letter to for information on some of the locals?
4. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when she goes to meet the person who leaves the note for her?
5. Who gives Lucifer the item left for him at the manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the hoof prints help further the investigation?
2. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about Lucifer confronting her?
3. Where and why does Silas Coombe assault Phyllida Tallent ?
4. Why does Cedric Fortemain look like one of the suspects to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
5. How does Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent's relationship get back on track?
6. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
8. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
9. What explanation does Appleby give for killing his friend in the army?
10. What is the importance of the Aesop's Fables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different settings the author uses in the novel and the importance of each setting to the plot of the novel. For example, the setting of the church, the setting of the dance parties, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationships do the readers see between the characters of the novel? Are the relationships strained, good, bad?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author make use of social gatherings, for example, dance parties, to further the investigation? Is it possible to do without the social gatherings in the novel? When do the social gatherings taken place in the novel?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)