|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the ball at Ballyclose manor, what are Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent searching for?
2. Who is the murderer of Horatio Welham?
3. What does the attacker do when Phyllida Tallent is at the house?
4. At whose place is the dance party arranged?
5. When at an office, what impresses Lucifer about Phyllida Tallent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and why does Silas Coombe assault Phyllida Tallent ?
2. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
3. Describe how Phyllida Tallent is attacked when she goes behind the church.
4. When Lucifer realizes that Phyllida Tallent is not present in church, why does he leave to find her?
5. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
6. How do the hoof prints help further the investigation?
7. How does Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent's relationship get back on track?
8. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
9. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
10. Where is Phyllida Tallent attacked as seen in chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one relationship in the novel and describe the motivating factors for changes in that relationship. How do those changes affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does the town work together to bring justice to Horatio Welham? Consider the trap set up by Lucifer and Demon, and how the town is hiding, waiting for Appleby to show up.
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer, the hero, is seen as a pursuer. Explain with examples how Lucifer is the pursuer.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)