|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can readers determine about Phyllida Tallent's and Lucifer's relationship with regards to Chapter 12?
2. What is the information about in the note left for Phyllida Tallent?
3. Why is Phyllida Tallent moved to the manor to stay as Lucifer's guest?
4. Where is Phyllida Tallent when she is attacked at the ball?
5. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
2. Why does Cedric Fortemain look like one of the suspects to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
3. What is the importance of the Aesop's Fables?
4. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn about Cedric Fortemain's and his brother's paternity?
5. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
6. What is the transformation in the relationship of Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
7. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
8. Where is Phyllida Tallent attacked as seen in chapter 15?
9. What are both Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer doing at the ball thrown at Ballyclose manor?
10. How do the hoof prints help further the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationships do the readers see between the characters of the novel? Are the relationships strained, good, bad?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how the world of this novel is a place where the rules of society, courtship and desire are often at odds.
Essay Topic 3
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)