|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the manor, what is Covey and Jonas helping the curate look for?
2. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn after they confront the character with the hat?
3. What can readers say about the attacks from chapter 11?
4. Whom does Cedric Fortemain see wearing the hat?
5. What can readers determine about Phyllida Tallent's and Lucifer's relationship with regards to Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
2. When and where is Phyllida Tallent attacked in chapter 17?
3. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
4. How does Appleby meet his death?
5. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn about Cedric Fortemain's and his brother's paternity?
6. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
7. What is the transformation in the relationship of Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
8. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
9. Where is Phyllida Tallent attacked as seen in chapter 15?
10. How do the hoof prints help further the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of each of Phyllida Tallent's suitors and how each one of them helps further the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Give a detailed account of the writing technique used by the author to describe how Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent carry out the murder investigation. Why does the author present it in this fashion? Does this writing technique add or take away from the story? Support your response with specific references to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)