|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
2. Whom does Cedric Fortemain see wearing the hat?
3. Whom does Phyllida Tallent leave the ballroom with when at Ballyclose manor?
4. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when she goes to meet the person who leaves the note for her?
5. Why does this character dress in men's clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
2. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
3. When Lucifer realizes that Phyllida Tallent is not present in church, why does he leave to find her?
4. What is the transformation in the relationship of Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
5. When and where is Phyllida Tallent attacked in chapter 17?
6. How does Appleby meet his death?
7. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
8. Why does Cedric Fortemain look like one of the suspects to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
9. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
10. What is the tactic Lucifer tries at the dance party to get Phyllida Tallent to tell him everything about the murder day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author show through her novel that family and friendships play a very important role in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer, the hero, is seen as a pursuer. Explain with examples how Lucifer is the pursuer.
Essay Topic 3
The author makes use of "nature" throughout the novel. Can you site a few instances of how she draws a parallel between nature and her characters?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)