|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the manor, what does Phyllida Tallent leave behind for Luifer?
2. Who is Polmeroy?
3. In the beginning of chapter 12, what according to Phyllida Tallent does Lucifer do to her to obtain all information?
4. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
5. What is known of the attacker from chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
2. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
3. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
4. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
5. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
6. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
7. What explanation does Appleby give for killing his friend in the army?
8. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
9. Describe how Phyllida Tallent is attacked when she goes behind the church.
10. How does Appleby meet his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist/protagonists in the novel and how does he/they fulfill his/their role. Explain with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer, the hero, is seen as a pursuer. Explain with examples how Lucifer is the pursuer.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)