|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Devil?
2. How does the murderer die?
3. Who among the following characters is wearing the hat that Phyllida Tallent has seen at the murder spot?
4. Whom do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer meet on their way back from the north?
5. Why does Phyllida Tallent get very angry when at the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and why does Silas Coombe assault Phyllida Tallent ?
2. What are both Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer doing at the ball thrown at Ballyclose manor?
3. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about Lucifer confronting her?
4. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
5. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn about Cedric Fortemain's and his brother's paternity?
6. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
7. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
8. What is the tactic Lucifer tries at the dance party to get Phyllida Tallent to tell him everything about the murder day?
9. Describe how Phyllida Tallent is attacked when she goes behind the church.
10. Why does Cedric Fortemain look like one of the suspects to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationships do the readers see between the characters of the novel? Are the relationships strained, good, bad?
Essay Topic 2
Give a detailed account of the writing technique used by the author to describe how Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent carry out the murder investigation. Why does the author present it in this fashion? Does this writing technique add or take away from the story? Support your response with specific references to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer, the hero, is seen as a pursuer. Explain with examples how Lucifer is the pursuer.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)