|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucifer see when he visits the burned cottage?
2. Who is badly wounded at the manor when many of the characters go back to the manor to sort things out?
3. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
4. Who is present in the manor when one of the characters visits it in Chapter 12?
5. Where does the murderer meet the entire town people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
2. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
3. What can be said of the note written by the murderer?
4. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about Lucifer confronting her?
5. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
6. Where is Phyllida Tallent attacked as seen in chapter 15?
7. What aspect of Phyllida Tallent's personality do readers see emerging in chapter 13?
8. Why does Jocasta Smollet hate Phyllida Tallent?
9. When and where is Phyllida Tallent attacked in chapter 17?
10. Where and why does Silas Coombe assault Phyllida Tallent ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author make use of social gatherings, for example, dance parties, to further the investigation? Is it possible to do without the social gatherings in the novel? When do the social gatherings taken place in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the series of incidents that lead Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer to have their moments of passion? What do these incidents signify in the novel?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)