|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Phyllida Tallent decide to check on first after the tea is over?
2. What is Lucifer trying to make Phyllida Tallent understand on their way home from the manor?
3. What does Lucifer specialize in?
4. Who takes care of Lucifer?
5. Who is Lady Huddlesford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the garden at the manor?
2. What is the promise that Phyllida Tallent does not want to break?
3. What does Phyllida Tallent's sexual experience with Lucifer make her realize about Mary Anne's promise of secrecy about her love letters?
4. After Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's picnic, what is the author's use of "storm" stand for?
5. Why is Covey important for Lucifer?
6. Describe what happens at tea at Sir Jasper's place.
7. Why is Lucifer delighted to see Phyllida Tallent at the church?
8. What happens to Phyllida Tallent at Lady Huddlesford's dinner party?
9. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
10. Why is Lucifer changing all the locks for the manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of each of Phyllida Tallent's suitors and how each one of them helps further the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationships do the readers see between the characters of the novel? Are the relationships strained, good, bad?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)