Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of chapter eight, why is Phyllida Tallent disappointed when Lucifer and she are on their picnic?
2. What is the item left at the murder scene?
3. Why is Phyllida Tallent not able to return to Horatio Welham's house?
4. What is Horatio Welham's relationship to Lucifer?
5. What are Phyllida Tallent's feelings towards Lucifer as seen in chapter two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Covey important for Lucifer?
2. Why does Lucifer blame himself when Phyllida Tallent is attacked?
3. What qualities of Phyllida Tallent does Lucifer seem to be impressed with when they are traveling north?
4. While at the manor taking inventory, what is the idea that Flick has?
5. What is the role played by Lucifer in chapter 17?
6. What is Phyllida Tallent trying to make Mary Anne understand when they are at the party thrown by Lady Huddlesford?
7. How does Appleby meet his death?
8. Describe Silas Coombe.
9. What is the course of action taken by Lucifer to keep Phyllida Tallent away from stress and danger as seen in the beginning of chapter 18?
10. Describe what happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in the setting of the shrubbery.
Select one relationship in the novel and describe the motivating factors for changes in that relationship. How do those changes affect the plot?
The author makes use of "nature" throughout the novel. Can you site a few instances of how she draws a parallel between nature and her characters?
Describe the author's use of symbolism in the novel. Give examples of instances when the author makes use of them.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)