|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phyllida Tallent present at Horatio Welham's manor on the day of the murder?
2. Why does Silas Coombe visit Lucifer?
3. Who is Robert's boss?
4. Whom does Lucifer ask to take an inventory of Horatio Welham's books?
5. Why do you think Lucifer accompanies Phyllida Tallent on her errands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent as they travel together to the east?
2. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
3. What are the series of incidents that take place at the manor after Lucifer finds the dead body of Horatio Welham?
4. Who is the character of Lucifer as seen in chapter one of the novel?
5. What is the information information that Lucifer keeps to himself?
6. What happens to Phyllida Tallent at Lady Huddlesford's dinner party?
7. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when Lucifer runs into her in the woods?
8. What is the surprise given to Lucifer while at Horatio Welham's funeral?
9. Why is Lucifer changing all the locks for the manor?
10. What is the symbolism of the garden at the manor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the factors responsible for the shift in Lucifer's thought process - from being a character who wants to avoid marriage to becoming a character who eventually falls in love and settles down.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author make use of social gatherings, for example, dance parties, to further the investigation? Is it possible to do without the social gatherings in the novel? When do the social gatherings taken place in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how the world of this novel is a place where the rules of society, courtship and desire are often at odds.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)