|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the local magistrate?
2. What is the item left at the murder scene?
3. How young is Phyllida Tallent when she loses her mother?
4. What is Phyllida Tallent doing at the party in Chapter four?
5. What is the name of the town where Covey is visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the surprise given to Lucifer while at Horatio Welham's funeral?
2. Describe what happens when Lucifer visits Colyton and goes to Horatio Welham's manor.
3. Why does Lucifer travel to his friend and mentor's house in Colyton?
4. Why is Lucifer changing all the locks for the manor?
5. After Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's picnic, what is the author's use of "storm" stand for?
6. What is Phyllida Tallent trying to make Mary Anne understand when they are at the party thrown by Lady Huddlesford?
7. What are the series of incidents that take place at the manor after Lucifer finds the dead body of Horatio Welham?
8. Describe Silas Coombe.
9. What is the information information that Lucifer keeps to himself?
10. What is the promise that Phyllida Tallent does not want to break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lucifer manage to gain Phyllida Tallent's trust, meaning getting her to finally tell him all she knows about the murder day? What tactics does he use, and why/how are they affective in Phyllida in particular?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's use of symbolism in the novel. Give examples of instances when the author makes use of them.
Essay Topic 3
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)