|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Horatio Welham hail from?
2. Why does Phyllida Tallent run away from the murder scene?
3. What do Lucifer and Dodswell find at the spot where the character is shot at?
4. Whom does Phyllida Tallent decide to check on first after the tea is over?
5. To whom does Mary Anne write the love letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phyllida Tallent suspect Silas Coombe to kill Horatio Welham?
2. What is the reason Phyllida Tallent is going to the woods late into the night?
3. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent as they travel together to the east?
4. What happens to Lucifer towards the end chapter one?
5. Describe what happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in the setting of the shrubbery.
6. Describe what happens when Lucifer visits Colyton and goes to Horatio Welham's manor.
7. What are Lucifer's feelings towards Phyllida Tallent as seen at the end of Chapter seven?
8. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
9. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when Lucifer runs into her in the woods?
10. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of love and marriage as seen in chapters eight and nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the world of this novel is a place where the rules of society, courtship and desire are often at odds.
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer, the hero, is seen as a pursuer. Explain with examples how Lucifer is the pursuer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the series of incidents that lead Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer to have their moments of passion? What do these incidents signify in the novel?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)