|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert's boss?
2. What is the weapon that Phyllida Tallent accidentally collides with?
3. What does the beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate decide to do with the estate?
4. Why is Covey important to Lucifer?
5. How does the intruder get inside the manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's feelings towards each other as seen in chapter three?
2. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when Lucifer runs into her in the woods?
3. What is Phyllida Tallent trying to make Mary Anne understand when they are at the party thrown by Lady Huddlesford?
4. What is the similarity between Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
5. What happens to Lucifer towards the end chapter one?
6. What is the promise that Phyllida Tallent does not want to break?
7. Why does Lucifer keeps the information from Sir Jasper about Phyllida Tallent's presence at the manor ?
8. What is the surprise given to Lucifer while at Horatio Welham's funeral?
9. Describe what happens when Lucifer visits Colyton and goes to Horatio Welham's manor.
10. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent as they travel together to the east?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In spite of having so many suitors, why does Phyllida Tallent not find marriage and love appealing? What are the instances which show readers how independent she is and in control of things?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different settings the author uses in the novel and the importance of each setting to the plot of the novel. For example, the setting of the church, the setting of the dance parties, etc.
Essay Topic 3
What are the series of incidents that lead Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer to have their moments of passion? What do these incidents signify in the novel?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)