|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phyllida Tallent present at Horatio Welham's manor on the day of the murder?
2. Who is Hemmings?
3. On the night of the funeral whom does Lucifer see going into the woods?
4. Who takes care of Lucifer?
5. What does Lucifer think the killer is looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of love and marriage as seen in chapters eight and nine?
2. Why does Phyllida Tallent confront Cedric Fortemain at Ballyclose manor?
3. Why is Phyllida confused about her relationship with Lucifer as seen in chapter 18?
4. When and where is Phyllida Tallent attacked in chapter 17?
5. When Lucifer realizes that Phyllida Tallent is not present in church, why does he leave to find her?
6. What happens to Lucifer towards the end chapter one?
7. What is the information information that Lucifer keeps to himself?
8. How and where does Lucifer confront Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
9. What explanation does Appleby give for killing his friend in the army?
10. Describe Silas Coombe.
Essay Topic 1
How does the town work together to bring justice to Horatio Welham? Consider the trap set up by Lucifer and Demon, and how the town is hiding, waiting for Appleby to show up.
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent are the main characters in the novel around whom the story revolves. Compare and contrast the characters of Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent.
Essay Topic 3
The author makes use of "nature" throughout the novel. Can you site a few instances of how she draws a parallel between nature and her characters?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)