|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Phyllida Tallent not tell Lucifer everything about the day of the murder?
(a) Because her father tells her not to.
(b) Because she is worried about getting into trouble.
(c) Because she does not trust Lucifer.
(d) Because if she does, she will break her promise of secrecy to her friend.
2. Why is Phyllida Tallent present at Horatio Welham's manor on the day of the murder?
(a) To collect Mary Anne's love letters.
(b) To leave an item there.
(c) To meet someone.
(d) To borrow a book from Horatio Welham's collection.
3. Where does Lucifer leave the letter Horatio Welham writes?
(a) In Devon.
(b) In Somerset.
(c) In Musbery.
(d) In England.
4. What is the "storm" in chapter eight a representation of?
(a) Incoming bad weather and the emotional chaos that Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer are experiencing.
(b) Incoming bad weather.
(c) Emotional chaos.
(d) Total chaos in the manor.
5. Of all the characters giving alibis, which character's alibi deserves special attention?
(a) Mary Anne.
(b) Cedric Fortemain.
(c) Mr. Crabbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws an impromptu party at the grange?
2. Whom does Lucifer ask to take an inventory of Horatio Welham's books?
3. Who is sent to jail as the suspected murderer?
4. What is the one thing that Phyllida Tallent realizes from her relationship with Lucifer?
5. What does Covey tell Lucifer when Lucifer goes to the manor for the wake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Phyllida Tallent is going to the woods late into the night?
2. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
3. Describe what happens at tea at Sir Jasper's place.
4. Why does Lucifer travel to his friend and mentor's house in Colyton?
5. Who is the character of Lucifer as seen in chapter one of the novel?
6. What is the symbolism of the garden at the manor?
7. What are Lucifer's feelings towards Phyllida Tallent as seen at the end of Chapter seven?
8. What happens to Phyllida Tallent at Lady Huddlesford's dinner party?
9. Why is Lucifer delighted to see Phyllida Tallent at the church?
10. What is the promise that Phyllida Tallent does not want to break?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)