|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing that Lucifer takes note of with regards to Phyllida Tallent when they are out with each other?
(a) That she has no admirers at all.
(b) That she has many admirers.
(c) That she shows interest in love.
(d) That she has a desire for marriage.
2. What does the beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate decide to do with the estate?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Demolish and it and build a new one.
(c) Make it a home.
(d) Donate it to charity.
3. What is Horatio Welham's relationship to Lucifer?
(d) Friend and mentor.
4. What brings Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent physically closer to each other in chapters six and seven?
(a) A dip in a pit.
(b) A wounded Phyllida.
(c) A wounded Lucifer.
(d) A fallen tree.
5. What does Covey tell Lucifer when Lucifer goes to the manor for the wake?
(a) That he suspects someone.
(b) That he knows about Horatio Welham's letter.
(c) That she sees one or two collectors coming by Horatio Welham's house.
(d) That he sees no collector coming by Horatio Welham's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent not able to catch the prowler?
2. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about her relationship with Lucifer as chapter 10 comes to an end?
3. Who is Percy?
4. What is the assumption Phyllida Tallent makes about Lucifer running errands together with her?
5. Where does Horatio Welham hail from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Phyllida Tallent's feelings towards Lucifer as seen towards the end of chapter two.
2. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
3. After Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's picnic, what is the author's use of "storm" stand for?
4. What is the clue Lucifer finds behind the shrubbery when he moves to the manor, helping him further the investigation?
5. What is the similarity between Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer?
6. Why is Lucifer delighted to see Phyllida Tallent at the church?
7. What is Phyllida Tallent trying to make Mary Anne understand when they are at the party thrown by Lady Huddlesford?
8. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of love and marriage as seen in chapters eight and nine?
9. How does Lucifer know that Phyllida Tallent is present at the manor and at the murder spot when he is unconscious?
10. What is the promise that Phyllida Tallent does not want to break?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)