|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary Anne store her love letters?
(a) In her grandmother's suitcase.
(b) In her grandmother's traveling desk.
(c) In her grandmother's writing desk.
(d) In her grandmother's jewelery box.
2. What is the promise Phyllida Tallent makes to Lucifer?
(a) That she will always have Lucifer with her wherever she goes.
(b) That she will not talk to any strangers.
(c) That she will be very careful.
(d) That she will not come into the woods without Lucifer.
3. What are Lucifer's orders to Hemmings and Dodswell when Lucifer is at the manor?
(a) To keep an eye on the book collection.
(b) To check the house and lock up for the night.
(c) To prevent anyone from coming in.
(d) To keep an eye on anyone leaving or entering the house.
4. Who is the character of Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Someone who wants to desperately get married.
(b) Someone who believes in love and marriage.
(c) Someone who is already married.
(d) Someone who initially has no desire for love and marriage.
5. Why does Phyllida Tallent not tell Lucifer everything about the day of the murder?
(a) Because she does not trust Lucifer.
(b) Because her father tells her not to.
(c) Because she is worried about getting into trouble.
(d) Because if she does, she will break her promise of secrecy to her friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phyllida Tallent present at Horatio Welham's manor on the day of the murder?
2. What do Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent see on their way back from the church?
3. Who is Devil?
4. On the night of the funeral whom does Lucifer see going into the woods?
5. Who takes care of Lucifer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in the setting of the shrubbery.
2. After Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's picnic, what is the author's use of "storm" stand for?
3. Why is Lucifer changing all the locks for the manor?
4. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of love and marriage as seen in chapters eight and nine?
5. Name the new characters introduced in Chapter three and their relationship to other characters.
6. Why is Covey important for Lucifer?
7. What is the symbolism of the garden at the manor?
8. What happens to Phyllida Tallent at Lady Huddlesford's dinner party?
9. What is the reason Phyllida Tallent is going to the woods late into the night?
10. What does Phyllida Tallent's sexual experience with Lucifer make her realize about Mary Anne's promise of secrecy about her love letters?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)