|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucifer ask for Phyllida Tallent's to help with?
(a) Take care of the manor.
(b) Take care of the book collection.
(c) Take care of Horatio Welham's personal items in the manor.
(d) Take care of the garden at the manor.
2. Why does Phyllida Tallent not tell Lucifer everything about the day of the murder?
(a) Because if she does, she will break her promise of secrecy to her friend.
(b) Because she does not trust Lucifer.
(c) Because her father tells her not to.
(d) Because she is worried about getting into trouble.
3. Why is Phyllida Tallent very angry when Lucifer meets her in the woods?
(a) Because she does not like Lucifer kissing her.
(b) Because she is shot at.
(c) Because her bonnet is lost.
(d) Because her dress is torn.
4. Who comes to Phyllida Tallent's rescue when she is assaulted?
(a) Silas Coombe.
5. What new items is Lucifer ordering?
(a) New doors.
(b) New locks.
(c) New shelves for Horatio Welham's books.
(d) New flowers for the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tracks does Lucifer see at the manor which helps him asses how the killer comes to Horatio Welham's house?
2. Whom does Phyllida Tallent accidentally hurt with a weapon?
3. Why does Lucifer trap Phyllida Tallent between him and the shrubbery?
4. Who is Jem?
5. How does Lucifer know that Phyllida Tallent is present at Horatio Welham's house after the murder, even though he is unconscious at Horatio Welham's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucifer delighted to see Phyllida Tallent at the church?
2. What is the surprise given to Lucifer while at Horatio Welham's funeral?
3. What are the series of incidents that take place at the manor after Lucifer finds the dead body of Horatio Welham?
4. Who is the character of Lucifer as seen in chapter one of the novel?
5. What is Phyllida Tallent trying to make Mary Anne understand when they are at the party thrown by Lady Huddlesford?
6. How does Lucifer know that Phyllida Tallent is present at the manor and at the murder spot when he is unconscious?
7. What are Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer's feelings towards each other as seen in chapter three?
8. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of love and marriage as seen in chapters eight and nine?
9. Why does Lucifer keeps the information from Sir Jasper about Phyllida Tallent's presence at the manor ?
10. Describe what happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in the setting of the shrubbery.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)