|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whose place is the dance party arranged?
(a) At Lady Ballyclose's place.
(b) The Tallents.
(c) The Smollets.
(d) At the manor.
2. When Lucifer rushes in to save Phyllida Tallent from the burning house, what item do they lose inside the place?
(a) The letter.
(b) The watch.
(c) The hat.
(d) The ring.
3. Whom does Phyllida Tallent leave the ballroom with when at Ballyclose manor?
(c) Cedric Fortemain.
(d) Lady Ballyclose.
4. Who chases the attacker ?
(b) The locals.
5. Where is Phyllida Tallent when she is attacked at the ball?
(a) In the closet.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the bookshelf.
(d) In the garden.
6. Where exactly is the place where the character is attacked in Chapter 11?
(a) Behind the church.
(b) At the grange.
(c) In the garden at the manor.
(d) Behind the manor.
7. Where is the old valuable item that the murderer is looking for hidden?
(a) In the cover of Aesop's fables.
(b) In one of the closets at the manor.
(c) In the traveling desk.
(d) In the outbuildings of the manor.
8. Whom do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer meet on their way back from the north?
(a) A groomsman.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A tinker.
(d) A local.
9. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
(a) To buy some books from the collection.
(b) To see the collection of books.
(c) To talk to Lucifer.
(d) To borrow a book.
10. Who throws a ball at Ballyclose Manor?
(a) Lady Fortemain.
(b) Lady Ballyclose.
(c) Jocasta Smollet.
(d) Phyllida Tallent.
11. What does Lucifer see when he visits the burned cottage?
(a) The hoof prints.
(b) The hat.
(c) The letter.
(d) The ring.
12. Why is Phyllida Tallent going towards the manor?
(a) To search for the traveling desk.
(b) To meet Covey.
(c) To borrow one of Horatio Welham's books.
(d) To meet Lucifer.
13. Who is riding the horse in question - the one that Thompson finds?
(a) Cedric Fortemain.
(b) Silas Coombe.
14. What does Lucifer find out when he goes to the church?
(a) Phyllida Tallent is talking to the curate.
(b) Phyllida Tallent is talking to a local.
(c) Phyllida Tallent is rushing out of the church.
(d) Phyllida Tallent is not present.
15. Who is badly wounded at the manor when many of the characters go back to the manor to sort things out?
(a) Phyllida Tallent.
(c) Mr. Filing.
(d) Miss Sweete.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
2. What does Lucifer realize after seeing what he sees at the burned cottage?
3. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
4. How many times do the attacks take place up until chapter 11 in the novel?
5. Where does the murderer meet the entire town people?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)