|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Lucifer give to Phyllida Tallent about him seducing her?
(a) That he does so because he feels only sexually attracted to her.
(b) That he does so because he wants to get some information out of her.
(c) That he does so out of desire to marry her.
(d) That he does so because she wants him to.
2. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
(c) Demon and Flick.
(d) Mary Anne.
3. Who is taken hostage and held at knife-point at the manor?
(a) Phyllida Tallent.
(b) Mr. Filing.
(d) Miss Sweetie.
4. Why is Phyllida Tallent going towards the manor?
(a) To meet Lucifer.
(b) To borrow one of Horatio Welham's books.
(c) To meet Covey.
(d) To search for the traveling desk.
5. What are Robert and Phyllida Tallent discussing about at the dance party?
(a) His job.
(b) His desire to marry Mary Anne.
(c) His registration.
(d) His love letters.
6. How does the murderer die?
(a) He is shot at.
(b) He is swept off the edge of a cliff and dies.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is pushed down from the cliff by the town people.
7. Which character is attacked in chapter 11?
(d) Phyllida Tallent.
8. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
(a) Silas Coombe.
(b) Cedric Fortemain.
9. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when she goes to meet the person who leaves the note for her?
(a) She is sexually assaulted.
(b) She is attacked.
(c) She is beaten.
(d) She is shot at.
10. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
(a) To talk to Lucifer.
(b) To borrow a book.
(c) To buy some books from the collection.
(d) To see the collection of books.
11. Why does this character dress in men's clothes?
(a) To break into the manor to meet Lucifer.
(b) To break into the manor looking for a hat.
(c) To break into the manor looking for a letter.
(d) To break into the manor looking for the desk.
12. Who walks Phyllida Talent to the manor in Chapter 17?
13. What aspect of the killer is seen in chapter 17?
(a) He is very slow.
(b) He is very dumb.
(c) He is very clever.
(d) He is very fast.
14. How many times do the attacks take place up until chapter 11 in the novel?
(a) Two times.
(b) Only once.
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
15. Whom does Phyllida Tallent talk to when she and Lucifer are out traveling north?
(a) A local in a wagon.
(b) A man at the revenue office.
(c) A man at the post office.
(d) A local on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phyllida Tallent moved to the manor to stay as Lucifer's guest?
2. What is known of the attacker from chapter 11?
3. Who is Polmeroy?
4. Who accompanies Phyllida Tallent to stay with her at the manor?
5. What does Lucifer realize after seeing what he sees at the burned cottage?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)