|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants Cedric Fortemain to marry Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Lady Ballyclose.
(b) Horatio Welham.
(c) Lady Fortemain.
(d) Sir Jasper.
2. Which of the following ladies is seen by Phyllida Tallent, Lucifer and Covey having an affair ?
(a) Lady Ballyclose.
(b) Miss Sweetie.
(c) Jocasta Smollet.
(d) Lady Fortemain.
3. Who among the following men is assumed NOT to be a legitimate heir to an inheritance?
(a) Cedric Fortemain.
4. Why does this character dress in men's clothes?
(a) To break into the manor looking for a letter.
(b) To break into the manor looking for a hat.
(c) To break into the manor looking for the desk.
(d) To break into the manor to meet Lucifer.
5. Who walks Phyllida Talent to the manor in Chapter 17?
6. What explanation does Lucifer give to Phyllida Tallent about him seducing her?
(a) That he does so out of desire to marry her.
(b) That he does so because he feels only sexually attracted to her.
(c) That he does so because he wants to get some information out of her.
(d) That he does so because she wants him to.
7. Why is it easy for Lucifer to distinguish the murderer from all other suspects?
(a) Because Lucifer is a cavalryman and knows how infantry men operate.
(b) Because the books reveal some information.
(c) Because Phyllida Tallent gives him a very special clue.
(d) Because Lucifer is given some information which only he knows.
8. At the manor, what is Covey and Jonas helping the curate look for?
(a) The letter.
(b) The watch.
(c) Aesop's Fables.
(d) The painting.
9. Which character's innocence is doubted time and again?
(a) Silas Coombe's.
(b) Lady Ballyclose's.
(c) Cedric Fortemain's.
10. How does the character who is attached in Chapter 11 manage to set himself/herself free?
(a) By pushing the attacker away.
(b) By kicking the attacker.
(c) By throwing something at the attacker.
(d) By screaming.
11. What does Covey find at the grange?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A hoof print.
(c) A hat.
(d) An inscription about Lady Fortemain.
12. Who is Devil?
(a) Lucifer's cousin.
(b) Lucifer's father.
(c) Lucifer's friend.
(d) Lucifer's uncle.
13. Who steps in to protect Phyllida Tallent from the assault at the graveyard?
14. Who leaves a note for Phyllida Tallent ?
(c) Cedric Fortemain.
15. Who chases the attacker ?
(d) The locals.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how does the attacker attack one of the characters?
2. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn after they confront the character with the hat?
3. When Lucifer rushes in to save Phyllida Tallent from the burning house, what item do they lose inside the place?
4. What is learned about Appleby in chapter19?
5. Who is the murderer of Horatio Welham?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)