|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is taking inventory of the books at the manor becoming very difficult for the characters present there?
(a) Because the characters cannot read the titles of the books.
(b) Because of Horatio Welham's use of fake covers.
(c) Because Horatio Welham has too many books.
(d) Because the books are not in a chronological order.
2. Why is it easy for Lucifer to distinguish the murderer from all other suspects?
(a) Because Lucifer is given some information which only he knows.
(b) Because Lucifer is a cavalryman and knows how infantry men operate.
(c) Because Phyllida Tallent gives him a very special clue.
(d) Because the books reveal some information.
3. What does Lucifer find out when he goes to the church?
(a) Phyllida Tallent is talking to the curate.
(b) Phyllida Tallent is not present.
(c) Phyllida Tallent is rushing out of the church.
(d) Phyllida Tallent is talking to a local.
4. At the manor, what is Covey and Jonas helping the curate look for?
(a) The letter.
(b) Aesop's Fables.
(c) The watch.
(d) The painting.
5. Where is the old valuable item that the murderer is looking for hidden?
(a) In the outbuildings of the manor.
(b) In one of the closets at the manor.
(c) In the traveling desk.
(d) In the cover of Aesop's fables.
6. When Lucifer rushes in to save Phyllida Tallent from the burning house, what item do they lose inside the place?
(a) The watch.
(b) The ring.
(c) The letter.
(d) The hat.
7. Who leaves a note for Phyllida Tallent ?
(d) Cedric Fortemain.
8. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
(a) They marry each other.
(b) They go for a picnic into the woods.
(c) They fall into a pit.
(d) They become intimate.
9. In Chapter 11, how does the attacker attack one of the characters?
(a) He tries to shoot the character.
(b) He tries to stab the character.
(c) He throws a robe over the head of the character being attacked.
(d) He throws a heavy object on the character's head.
10. Who wants Cedric Fortemain to marry Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Lady Fortemain.
(b) Sir Jasper.
(c) Horatio Welham.
(d) Lady Ballyclose.
11. Who among the following men is assumed NOT to be a legitimate heir to an inheritance?
(a) Cedric Fortemain.
12. Who throws a ball at Ballyclose Manor?
(a) Lady Ballyclose.
(b) Lady Fortemain.
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Jocasta Smollet.
13. Which of the following ladies is seen by Phyllida Tallent, Lucifer and Covey having an affair ?
(a) Jocasta Smollet.
(b) Lady Ballyclose.
(c) Miss Sweetie.
(d) Lady Fortemain.
14. Which of the characters is suspected of murdering Horatio Welham?
(b) Silas Coombe.
(c) Cedric Fortemain.
15. Who is present in the manor when one of the characters visits it in Chapter 12?
(a) Silas Coombe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jocasta Smollet always hateful of Phyllida Tallent?
2. Whom does Lucifer suspect when he receives a packet from one of the characters?
3. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
4. Who among the following characters is wearing the hat that Phyllida Tallent has seen at the murder spot?
5. What can readers say about the attacks from chapter 11?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)