|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer meet on their way back from the north?
(a) A local.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A tinker.
(d) A groomsman.
2. Who walks Phyllida Talent to the manor in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Lucifer write a letter to one of the characters?
(a) To obtain some information about the manor.
(b) To obtain some information about Horatio Welham before he dies.
(c) To obtain information about some locals.
(d) To obtain some information about a letter.
4. Whom does Cedric Fortemain see wearing the hat?
(b) Cedric Fortemain.
(c) Silas Coombe.
5. Who steps in to protect Phyllida Tallent from the assault at the graveyard?
6. How many times do the attacks take place up until chapter 11 in the novel?
(a) Only once.
(b) Two times.
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
7. Where exactly is the place where the character is attacked in Chapter 11?
(a) Behind the manor.
(b) At the grange.
(c) In the garden at the manor.
(d) Behind the church.
8. Why is it easy for Lucifer to distinguish the murderer from all other suspects?
(a) Because Lucifer is a cavalryman and knows how infantry men operate.
(b) Because Phyllida Tallent gives him a very special clue.
(c) Because Lucifer is given some information which only he knows.
(d) Because the books reveal some information.
9. Where does the murderer meet the entire town people?
(a) At the local church.
(b) At the channel.
(c) At the bar.
(d) Edge of the cliffs.
10. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
(a) Cedric Fortemain.
(d) Silas Coombe.
11. What does Lucifer see when he visits the burned cottage?
(a) The ring.
(b) The letter.
(c) The hat.
(d) The hoof prints.
12. What does the attacker do when Phyllida Tallent is at the house?
(a) He runs away without causing any harm.
(b) He damages everything.
(c) He throws things on Phyllida Tallent and leaves.
(d) He sets it on fire and leaves.
13. Which character's innocence is doubted time and again?
(b) Cedric Fortemain's.
(c) Lady Ballyclose's.
(d) Silas Coombe's.
14. What does Lucifer realize after seeing what he sees at the burned cottage?
(a) The markings on the hoof prints are Thompson's work.
(b) The letter belongs to Farthingale.
(c) The ring belongs to Appleby.
(d) The hat belongs to Cedric Fortemain.
15. Where does the person who leaves a note for Phyllida Tallent want to meet her?
(a) At an abandoned house.
(b) Behind the church.
(c) At a graveyard.
(d) At a local bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taken hostage and held at knife-point at the manor?
2. Who is badly wounded at the manor when many of the characters go back to the manor to sort things out?
3. Why does the murderer kill his friend in the army?
4. What happens to Phyllida Tallent when she goes to meet the person who leaves the note for her?
5. Which of the following ladies is seen by Phyllida Tallent, Lucifer and Covey having an affair ?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)