|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Lucifer suspect when he receives a packet from one of the characters?
(c) Cedric Fortemain.
2. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
(a) They fall into a pit.
(b) They become intimate.
(c) They go for a picnic into the woods.
(d) They marry each other.
3. How does the character who is attached in Chapter 11 manage to set himself/herself free?
(a) By pushing the attacker away.
(b) By kicking the attacker.
(c) By screaming.
(d) By throwing something at the attacker.
4. When Lucifer rushes in to save Phyllida Tallent from the burning house, what item do they lose inside the place?
(a) The ring.
(b) The letter.
(c) The watch.
(d) The hat.
5. Why does this character dress in men's clothes?
(a) To break into the manor looking for the desk.
(b) To break into the manor to meet Lucifer.
(c) To break into the manor looking for a hat.
(d) To break into the manor looking for a letter.
6. Why does the murderer kill his friend in the army?
(a) To obtain an old valuable painting.
(b) To obtain an old valuable piece of furniture.
(c) To obtain an old valuable stamp.
(d) To obtain an old valuable book.
7. Which of the characters is suspected of murdering Horatio Welham?
(a) Cedric Fortemain.
(b) Silas Coombe.
8. Who among the following men is assumed NOT to be a legitimate heir to an inheritance?
(c) Cedric Fortemain.
9. At the manor, what does Phyllida Tallent leave behind for Luifer?
(a) A note.
(b) A hat.
(c) A ring.
(d) A letter.
10. Why is Phyllida Tallent moved to the manor to stay as Lucifer's guest?
(a) So she can see the murderer.
(b) So she can help with the book collection.
(c) So she is safe.
(d) So she can be used as a bait to catch the murderer.
11. How many times do the attacks take place up until chapter 11 in the novel?
(a) Two times.
(b) Four times.
(c) Only once.
(d) Three times.
12. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer learn after they confront the character with the hat?
(a) That he is NOT the legitimate heir of a property.
(b) That he and his brother are the legitimate heirs of a property.
(c) That none of them are the legitimate heirs of a property.
(d) That he is the legitimate heir of a property.
13. Who is Polmeroy?
(a) Silas Coombe's little brother.
(b) Appleby's little brother.
(c) Cedric Fortemain's little brother.
(d) Farthingale's little brother.
14. Who is badly wounded at the manor when many of the characters go back to the manor to sort things out?
(b) Miss Sweete.
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Mr. Filing.
15. What happens to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer at the end of the novel?
(a) They finally marry each other.
(b) Phyllida Tallent does not want to marry Lucifer.
(c) Lucifer says goodbye to her and leaves.
(d) They kiss each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
2. What is the tactic Lucifer decides to adopt to make Phyllida Tallent tell him the secret?
3. Where is the old valuable item that the murderer is looking for hidden?
4. Who gives Lucifer the item left for him at the manor?
5. Why does Lucifer keep quiet when Phyllida Tallent uses herself as the bait to lure the attacker?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)