|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When at an office, what impresses Lucifer about Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Her listening skills.
(b) Her speaking skills.
(c) Her logical skills.
(d) Her business skills.
2. Which of the characters is suspected of murdering Horatio Welham?
(c) Silas Coombe.
(d) Cedric Fortemain.
3. Why is it easy for Lucifer to distinguish the murderer from all other suspects?
(a) Because Phyllida Tallent gives him a very special clue.
(b) Because Lucifer is a cavalryman and knows how infantry men operate.
(c) Because Lucifer is given some information which only he knows.
(d) Because the books reveal some information.
4. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
(a) To buy some books from the collection.
(b) To talk to Lucifer.
(c) To borrow a book.
(d) To see the collection of books.
5. Where is the old valuable item that the murderer is looking for hidden?
(a) In the cover of Aesop's fables.
(b) In the traveling desk.
(c) In the outbuildings of the manor.
(d) In one of the closets at the manor.
6. Where does the murderer meet the entire town people?
(a) At the bar.
(b) At the channel.
(c) At the local church.
(d) Edge of the cliffs.
7. What does Lucifer find out when he goes to the church?
(a) Phyllida Tallent is talking to the curate.
(b) Phyllida Tallent is rushing out of the church.
(c) Phyllida Tallent is not present.
(d) Phyllida Tallent is talking to a local.
8. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
(a) They go for a picnic into the woods.
(b) They become intimate.
(c) They fall into a pit.
(d) They marry each other.
9. Who is riding the horse in question - the one that Thompson finds?
(b) Cedric Fortemain.
(c) Silas Coombe.
10. What is learned about Appleby in chapter19?
(a) He shoots one of his close friends when at his friend's home.
(b) He murders his best friend in the army.
(c) He murders his cousin.
(d) He murders several men in the army.
11. What happens to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer at the end of the novel?
(a) Phyllida Tallent does not want to marry Lucifer.
(b) They kiss each other.
(c) Lucifer says goodbye to her and leaves.
(d) They finally marry each other.
12. What is the tactic Lucifer decides to adopt to make Phyllida Tallent tell him the secret?
(a) Sing to her in front of everbody.
(b) Tell everybody about Phyllida Tallent's presence at the murder scene.
(c) Kiss her in front of everybody.
(d) Confess his love for her in front of everybody.
13. Which of the following characters dresses in men's clothes?
(a) Lady Ballyclose.
(b) Phyllida Tallent.
(c) Jocasta Smollet.
(d) Mary Anne.
14. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
(a) Mary Anne.
(b) Demon and Flick.
15. Why is Phyllida Tallent going towards the manor?
(a) To search for the traveling desk.
(b) To borrow one of Horatio Welham's books.
(c) To meet Lucifer.
(d) To meet Covey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Phyllida Tallent to stay with her at the manor?
2. What is known of the attacker from chapter 11?
3. Who confronts and charges the murderer of Horatio Welham at the end of the novel?
4. Whom does Cedric Fortemain see wearing the hat?
5. What does the attacker do when Phyllida Tallent is at the house?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)