|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas Coombe come to the manor for?
(a) To buy some books from the collection.
(b) To talk to Lucifer.
(c) To see the collection of books.
(d) To borrow a book.
2. Who confronts and charges the murderer of Horatio Welham at the end of the novel?
(a) Mr. Filing.
(b) Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Sir Jasper.
3. Why does the murderer kill his friend in the army?
(a) To obtain an old valuable book.
(b) To obtain an old valuable stamp.
(c) To obtain an old valuable painting.
(d) To obtain an old valuable piece of furniture.
4. Who is Polmeroy?
(a) Cedric Fortemain's little brother.
(b) Silas Coombe's little brother.
(c) Farthingale's little brother.
(d) Appleby's little brother.
5. Whom does Phyllida Tallent talk to when she and Lucifer are out traveling north?
(a) A local in a wagon.
(b) A local on the street.
(c) A man at the revenue office.
(d) A man at the post office.
6. Whom do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer meet on their way back from the north?
(a) A tinker.
(b) A groomsman.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A local.
7. Who is Devil?
(a) Lucifer's father.
(b) Lucifer's friend.
(c) Lucifer's cousin.
(d) Lucifer's uncle.
8. Where is Phyllida Tallent when she is attacked at the ball?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the bookshelf.
9. When Lucifer rushes in to save Phyllida Tallent from the burning house, what item do they lose inside the place?
(a) The letter.
(b) The watch.
(c) The hat.
(d) The ring.
10. Who is the murderer of Horatio Welham?
(a) Silas Coombe.
(b) Cedric Fortemain.
11. What happens to Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer at the end of the novel?
(a) Phyllida Tallent does not want to marry Lucifer.
(b) Lucifer says goodbye to her and leaves.
(c) They kiss each other.
(d) They finally marry each other.
12. Which character is attacked in chapter 11?
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
13. Which of the following ladies is seen by Phyllida Tallent, Lucifer and Covey having an affair ?
(a) Jocasta Smollet.
(b) Miss Sweetie.
(c) Lady Ballyclose.
(d) Lady Fortemain.
14. What becomes of the relationship between Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer when Lucifer tells her that she will definitely marry him one day?
(a) Their relationship becomes stronger.
(b) Their relationship changes into a marriage.
(c) Their relationship becomes even weaker.
(d) Their relationship starts to break.
15. What is the tactic Lucifer decides to adopt to make Phyllida Tallent tell him the secret?
(a) Kiss her in front of everybody.
(b) Sing to her in front of everbody.
(c) Tell everybody about Phyllida Tallent's presence at the murder scene.
(d) Confess his love for her in front of everybody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Phyllida Tallent confront after getting the hat?
2. Who throws a ball at Ballyclose Manor?
3. What can readers determine about Phyllida Tallent's and Lucifer's relationship with regards to Chapter 12?
4. Who comes to visit Lucifer and stay at the manor?
5. What happens between Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent in Chapter 12?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)