|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lucifer keep quiet when Phyllida Tallent uses herself as the bait to lure the attacker?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) Because she asks him not to.
(c) Because he is scared of her.
(d) Because she does not want to be overprotected.
2. How many times do the attacks take place up until chapter 11 in the novel?
(a) Two times.
(b) Only once.
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
3. What does Lucifer find out when he goes to the church?
(a) Phyllida Tallent is talking to a local.
(b) Phyllida Tallent is talking to the curate.
(c) Phyllida Tallent is not present.
(d) Phyllida Tallent is rushing out of the church.
4. Why is Jocasta Smollet always hateful of Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Because she loves Cedric Fortemain and can't have him.
(b) Because she is jealous of Phyllida Tallent having many suitors.
(c) Because Phyllida Tallent is the magistrate's daughter.
(d) Because she loves Lucifer.
5. Who throws a ball at Ballyclose Manor?
(a) Lady Ballyclose.
(b) Lady Fortemain.
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Jocasta Smollet.
6. Who wants Cedric Fortemain to marry Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Horatio Welham.
(b) Lady Fortemain.
(c) Sir Jasper.
(d) Lady Ballyclose.
7. While at the ball at Ballyclose manor, what are Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent searching for?
(a) The letter.
(b) The hat.
(c) The ring.
(d) The watch.
8. What aspect of the killer is seen in chapter 17?
(a) He is very fast.
(b) He is very dumb.
(c) He is very slow.
(d) He is very clever.
9. What explanation does Lucifer give to Phyllida Tallent about him seducing her?
(a) That he does so because he feels only sexually attracted to her.
(b) That he does so because she wants him to.
(c) That he does so because he wants to get some information out of her.
(d) That he does so out of desire to marry her.
10. Why does the murderer kill his friend in the army?
(a) To obtain an old valuable painting.
(b) To obtain an old valuable piece of furniture.
(c) To obtain an old valuable stamp.
(d) To obtain an old valuable book.
11. Where does the murderer meet the entire town people?
(a) At the bar.
(b) At the channel.
(c) Edge of the cliffs.
(d) At the local church.
12. Who chases the attacker ?
(a) The locals.
13. When at an office, what impresses Lucifer about Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Her business skills.
(b) Her speaking skills.
(c) Her listening skills.
(d) Her logical skills.
14. Which character's innocence is doubted time and again?
(a) Lady Ballyclose's.
(c) Silas Coombe's.
(d) Cedric Fortemain's.
15. Why is taking inventory of the books at the manor becoming very difficult for the characters present there?
(a) Because of Horatio Welham's use of fake covers.
(b) Because the characters cannot read the titles of the books.
(c) Because Horatio Welham has too many books.
(d) Because the books are not in a chronological order.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the hat found by one of the characters?
2. What are Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent helping Covey with at the manor?
3. What are Robert and Phyllida Tallent discussing about at the dance party?
4. Who steps in to protect Phyllida Tallent from the assault at the graveyard?
5. Who accompanies Phyllida Tallent to stay with her at the manor?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)