|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Salis Coombe jealous of?
(a) He is jealous of Lucifer's good looks.
(b) He is jealous of Horatio Welham because of his superb collection of books.
(c) He is jealous of all the other men courting Phyllida Tallent.
(d) He is jealous of Horatio Welham's wealth.
2. Who finds Lucifer lying unconscious next to Horatio Welham's body?
(a) Phyllida Tallent.
(b) The locals.
(c) Horatio's gardener.
(d) Sir Jasper.
3. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of marriage?
(a) He is intrigued by the idea of marriage.
(b) He decides never to marry.
(c) He still hates the idea of marriage.
(d) He wants a family living in the manor.
4. Who comes to Phyllida Tallent's rescue when she is assaulted?
(b) Silas Coombe.
5. What is the name of the first character introduced in the novel?
(a) Horatio Welham.
(b) Sir Jasper.
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Alasdair Cynster(Lucifer).
6. Why does Phyllida Tallent not tell Lucifer everything about the day of the murder?
(a) Because she does not trust Lucifer.
(b) Because her father tells her not to.
(c) Because she is worried about getting into trouble.
(d) Because if she does, she will break her promise of secrecy to her friend.
7. Where does Horatio Welham hail from?
(c) Lake District.
8. Who is Devil?
(a) Lucifer's youngest cousin.
(b) Phyllida Tallent's eldest cousin.
(c) Lucifer's eldest cousin.
(d) Lucifer's middle cousin.
9. What does Lucifer ask for Phyllida Tallent's to help with?
(a) Take care of the book collection.
(b) Take care of the manor.
(c) Take care of the garden at the manor.
(d) Take care of Horatio Welham's personal items in the manor.
10. Who takes care of Lucifer?
(a) The locals.
(b) Phyllida Tallent.
(c) Sir Jasper.
(d) Phyllida Tallent's aunt.
11. What is Phyllida Tallent doing at the party in Chapter four?
(a) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she (Mary Anne) and Robert should get married.
(b) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she loses Mary Anne's letters.
(c) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she should ask Robert to give permission about the love letters.
(d) Trying to tell Mary Anne the importance of Lucifer knowing about the love letters.
12. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about her relationship with Lucifer as chapter 10 comes to an end?
(a) She wants to avoid the physical aspect of her relationship.
(b) She does not find the physical aspect appealing.
(c) She wants to put an end to the physical aspect of her relationship.
(d) She is curious about the physical aspect of her relationship.
13. Who is Jem?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The new servant at the manor.
(c) A groomsman on the grange.
(d) The caretaker of the manor.
14. What do Phyllida Tallent and Lucifer conclude after seeing the tracks?
(a) That the killer is either a local or someone who came from a place close by.
(b) That the killer is someone who came on foot.
(c) That the killer is someone who lives very far off.
(d) That the killer is someone who has a wagon.
15. One of the characters gets shot at. How does this character miss the bullet?
(a) The bullet brushes past this character's clothes.
(b) The bullet hits a tree very close to the character.
(c) The bullet hits an animal that suddenly comes in front of the character.
(d) The bullet hits the character's bonnet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mary Anne write the love letters?
2. What does the reader come to know about the Colyton Import business?
3. What does the beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate decide to do with the estate?
4. Why is Lucifer invited to tea?
5. What is Lucifer trying to make Phyllida Tallent understand on their way home from the manor?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)