|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing that Lucifer takes note of with regards to Phyllida Tallent when they are out with each other?
(a) That she has a desire for marriage.
(b) That she has many admirers.
(c) That she has no admirers at all.
(d) That she shows interest in love.
2. What brings Lucifer and Phyllida Tallent physically closer to each other in chapters six and seven?
(a) A fallen tree.
(b) A wounded Lucifer.
(c) A dip in a pit.
(d) A wounded Phyllida.
3. Who is Percy?
(a) Phyllida Tallent's brother.
(b) Lucifer's brother.
(c) Phyllida Tallent's cousin.
(d) Lucifer's cousin.
4. Whom is Salis Coombe jealous of?
(a) He is jealous of Lucifer's good looks.
(b) He is jealous of all the other men courting Phyllida Tallent.
(c) He is jealous of Horatio Welham because of his superb collection of books.
(d) He is jealous of Horatio Welham's wealth.
5. What does the beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate decide to do with the estate?
(a) Demolish and it and build a new one.
(b) Donate it to charity.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Make it a home.
6. Where does Lucifer leave the letter Horatio Welham writes?
(a) In England.
(b) In Somerset.
(c) In Devon.
(d) In Musbery.
7. Who is Devil?
(a) Lucifer's eldest cousin.
(b) Lucifer's middle cousin.
(c) Lucifer's youngest cousin.
(d) Phyllida Tallent's eldest cousin.
8. Who is Hemmings?
(a) Horatio Welham's gardener.
(b) Horatio Welham's butler.
(c) Horatio Welham's cook.
(d) Horatio Welham's servant.
9. One of the characters gets shot at. How does this character miss the bullet?
(a) The bullet hits an animal that suddenly comes in front of the character.
(b) The bullet brushes past this character's clothes.
(c) The bullet hits a tree very close to the character.
(d) The bullet hits the character's bonnet.
10. What is Phyllida Tallent doing at the party in Chapter four?
(a) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she (Mary Anne) and Robert should get married.
(b) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she loses Mary Anne's letters.
(c) Trying to tell Mary Anne the importance of Lucifer knowing about the love letters.
(d) Trying to tell Mary Anne that she should ask Robert to give permission about the love letters.
11. Why is Lucifer invited to tea?
(a) To be questioned about his visit to Colyton.
(b) To be questioned about a letter.
(c) To be questioned about Horatio Welham's murder.
(d) To be questioned about his background.
12. When Lucifer grabs Phyllida Tallent's wrist, what does he say to her?
(a) "It was you".
(b) "You are beautiful".
(c) "I love you".
(d) "Please help me".
13. Why does Phyllida Tallent not tell Lucifer everything about the day of the murder?
(a) Because if she does, she will break her promise of secrecy to her friend.
(b) Because she is worried about getting into trouble.
(c) Because she does not trust Lucifer.
(d) Because her father tells her not to.
14. What does Covey tell Lucifer when Lucifer goes to the manor for the wake?
(a) That he suspects someone.
(b) That he knows about Horatio Welham's letter.
(c) That she sees one or two collectors coming by Horatio Welham's house.
(d) That he sees no collector coming by Horatio Welham's house.
15. What is the assumption Phyllida Tallent makes about Lucifer running errands together with her?
(a) That Lucifer wants to meet the men who are courting her.
(b) That Lucifer wants to see the town.
(c) That Lucifer loves her and hence comes with her.
(d) That Lucifer comes along only to get more information from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character of Phyllida Tallent?
2. Who confronts Lucifer with the impression that he ( Lucifer) is the murderer?
3. What does Phyllida Tallent feel about her relationship with Lucifer as chapter 10 comes to an end?
4. Why is Phyllida Tallent very angry when Lucifer meets her in the woods?
5. What is the weapon used to murder one of the characters?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)