|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lucifer leave the letter Horatio Welham writes?
(a) In Devon.
(b) In England.
(c) In Musbery.
(d) In Somerset.
2. What are Lucifer's orders to Hemmings and Dodswell when Lucifer is at the manor?
(a) To keep an eye on the book collection.
(b) To keep an eye on anyone leaving or entering the house.
(c) To prevent anyone from coming in.
(d) To check the house and lock up for the night.
3. What do Lucifer and Dodswell find at the spot where the character is shot at?
(a) A watch.
(b) Hoof prints.
(c) A hat.
4. Why is Lucifer invited to tea?
(a) To be questioned about Horatio Welham's murder.
(b) To be questioned about his background.
(c) To be questioned about his visit to Colyton.
(d) To be questioned about a letter.
5. Who is the character of Phyllida Tallent?
(a) Someone who is already married.
(b) Someone who wants to desperately get married.
(c) Someone who believes in love and marriage.
(d) Someone who initially has no desire for love and marriage.
6. What does Lucifer find himself doing, whenever possible, in chapters eight and nine?
(a) Trying to convince her to tell him all she knows about the murder.
(b) Going on long walks with her.
(c) Protecting Phyllida Tallent.
(d) Kissing her.
7. What is the shift in Lucifer's idea of marriage?
(a) He is intrigued by the idea of marriage.
(b) He decides never to marry.
(c) He still hates the idea of marriage.
(d) He wants a family living in the manor.
8. How long does it take for the new items that Lucifer orders to arrive?
(a) Two weeks or more.
(b) A month more.
(c) A week or more.
(d) Two months more.
9. Who is Devil?
(a) Phyllida Tallent's eldest cousin.
(b) Lucifer's youngest cousin.
(c) Lucifer's eldest cousin.
(d) Lucifer's middle cousin.
10. Who sneaks into Horatio Welham's house in search of something?
(b) A local of the town.
(c) Sir Jasper.
(d) Phyllida Tallent.
11. Who is the local magistrate?
(a) Horatio Welham.
(b) Sir Jasper.
(c) Phyllida Tallent.
12. Where does Mary Anne store her love letters?
(a) In her grandmother's writing desk.
(b) In her grandmother's suitcase.
(c) In her grandmother's traveling desk.
(d) In her grandmother's jewelery box.
13. What does the beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate decide to do with the estate?
(a) Make it a home.
(b) Sell it.
(c) Donate it to charity.
(d) Demolish and it and build a new one.
14. What does Lucifer think the killer is looking for?
(a) A watch.
(b) A letter.
(c) A hat.
(d) A book.
15. In the beginning of chapter eight, why is Phyllida Tallent disappointed when Lucifer and she are on their picnic?
(a) Because Lucifer does not want to kiss her that long.
(b) Because Lucifer dislikes her behaviour.
(c) Because Lucifer abruptly breaks off when they are kissing.
(d) Because Lucifer does not want to kiss her at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "storm" in chapter eight a representation of?
2. Who is the sole beneficiary of Horatio Welham's estate?
3. Who among the following men attended the church service on Sunday?
4. What is Phyllida Tallent doing at the party in Chapter four?
5. What kind of tracks does Lucifer see at the manor which helps him asses how the killer comes to Horatio Welham's house?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)