|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did the survivors watch the hikers' progress?
2. What does Paez do upon receiving this news?
3. What signs of life do the hikers come across?
4. Who do the helicopters carry?
5. What time does the helicopter arrive to pick up the last survivors?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
2. How do the survivors react to the Andinists?
3. What do the helicopters do when they arrive?
4. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
5. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
6. What searches take place the next morning?
7. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
8. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
9. What false hope do the survivors experience?
10. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty-nine of the forty-five passengers and crew did not survive.
Part 1) What is the main cause for most of their deaths?
Part 2) Could many of these deaths have been avoided, other than by not crashing? Explain.
Part 3) How might the dead feel about the ways their bodies had been used? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Bittersweet feelings sweep over the parents when the survivors' name are read.
Part 1) Why are the feelings bittersweet?
Part 2) What are your thoughts about the reactions of the family members? Are you at all surprised? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would you feel and react as the family member of one of the passengers who had not survived? How would you interact with the other family members and survivors? Why would you act this way?
Essay Topic 3
The families suffer several disappointments.
Part 1) Describe two of these disappointments. How are they affected by these disappointments?
Part 2) If this accident had occurred in the United States, would these disappointments still have occurred? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these disappointments make the successful outcome more bittersweet?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)