|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many survivors are flown to San Fernando?
2. What do the survivors discover when listening to the radio?
3. On what day are the survivors reunited with each other and with their families?
4. What had geophysicists created?
5. How is Ponce de Leon's radio utilized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
2. Why is Paez Vilaro lagging behind?
3. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
4. What false hope do the survivors experience?
5. What takes place on December 12th?
6. What does the minor's story confirm? What is done with this information?
7. What do the survivors discover on day seventy-one?
8. What do the helicopters do when they arrive?
9. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
10. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The survivors were not evacuated immediately.
Part 1) Why were they not evacuated immediately?
Part 2) How might they have felt about this?
Part 3) How might the rescue crew have felt when approaching the survivors? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Twenty-nine of the forty-five passengers and crew did not survive.
Part 1) What is the main cause for most of their deaths?
Part 2) Could many of these deaths have been avoided, other than by not crashing? Explain.
Part 3) How might the dead feel about the ways their bodies had been used? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)