|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon do Canessa and Parrado awake after a rest?
2. What time does the helicopter arrive to pick up the last survivors?
3. What does the transistor radio say has been found?
4. How is the snow under their feet?
5. Is it easy to slip back into the lives the men had left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the survivors discover on day seventy-one?
2. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
3. How do the two men proceed after Vizintin goes back to the Fairchild?
4. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
5. What does the minor's story confirm? What is done with this information?
6. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
7. It is surprising to the survivors?
8. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
9. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
10. What do the survivors do when the first eight are flown away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The travelers on the Fairchild are from Uruguay.
Part 1) Describe Uruguay's history. How does this history affect these travelers?
Part 2) How does this country play a role in the outcome of this tragedy?
Part 3) How might the United States' response have been, compared to the Uruguayans? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The survivors left behind when the first eight were evacuated talked and ate with the Andinists.
Part 1) What did they share with each other?
Part 2) Why did they share this information? What might have been the reaction of the Andinists to their stories? Why?
Part 3) How does this reaction lead to future events?
Essay Topic 3
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)