|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far are Canessa and Parrado from the nearest town called San Fernando?
2. What do the men begin to do?
3. What time does the helicopter arrive to pick up the last survivors?
4. How do the survivors feel when Vizintin comes sliding back to camp?
5. How is Ponce de Leon's radio utilized?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
2. What searches take place the next morning?
3. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
4. What false hope do the survivors experience?
5. What do the survivors discover on day seventy-one?
6. What do the thirteen survivors do as this section begins?
7. How do Canessa and Parrado feel when they awake?
8. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
9. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
10. Why is Paez Vilaro lagging behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The travelers on the Fairchild are from Uruguay.
Part 1) Describe Uruguay's history. How does this history affect these travelers?
Part 2) How does this country play a role in the outcome of this tragedy?
Part 3) How might the United States' response have been, compared to the Uruguayans? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Fairchild crashes in the Andes.
Part 1) Why does it crash in the Andes? How is this crash foreshadowed in this book?
Part 2) Could this type of accident occur today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this crash change the passengers' lives forever?
Part 4) How would your life be changed, if you had been a survivor?
Essay Topic 3
The families do not give up hope.
Part 1) How do they show that they do not give up hope?
Part 2) What keeps them from giving up hope?
Part 3) Would you be as strong and hopeful? Why or why not?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)