|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose body is placed on reserve?
2. How is Ponce de Leon's radio utilized?
3. How many survivors are flown to San Fernando?
4. To where do the families turn their focus?
5. What do the survivors discover when listening to the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on December 12th?
2. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
3. What does the minor's story confirm? What is done with this information?
4. What do the survivors do when the first eight are flown away?
5. What do the thirteen survivors do as this section begins?
6. Why is Paez Vilaro detained by the international police?
7. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
8. How do Canessa and Parrado feel when they awake?
9. What searches take place the next morning?
10. It is surprising to the survivors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important jobs belonged to Father Andres Rojas.
Part 1) What was his job? Why is it important?
Part 2) How might his help have affected the boys for the rest of their lives?
Part 3) What other people could help in a similar way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)