|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do the families turn their focus?
2. What does a combination of severe cold and high altitude cause?
3. Why has Dr. Canessa not yet returned to Montevideo?
4. What does Dr. Canessa do when he hears the news?
5. On what day are the survivors reunited with each other and with their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on December 23rd?
2. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
3. What is the summer sun doing? How is this good and bad?
4. How do the two men proceed after Vizintin goes back to the Fairchild?
5. What do the survivors do when the first eight are flown away?
6. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
7. What does the minor's story confirm? What is done with this information?
8. What false hope do the survivors experience?
9. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
10. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The survivors unanimously decided to eat the bodies of the dead.
Part 1) Why do they make this decision? What role does their faith play in this decision?
Part 2) How does this cannibalism affect outsiders? Why?
Part 3) How do you fell about this cannibalism? Why? Would you have done the same thing, if you were in this situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 3
Twenty-nine of the forty-five passengers and crew did not survive.
Part 1) What is the main cause for most of their deaths?
Part 2) Could many of these deaths have been avoided, other than by not crashing? Explain.
Part 3) How might the dead feel about the ways their bodies had been used? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)