|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do the survivors talk and eat?
2. To where are the majority of the survivors then moved to celebrate the Christmas holiday?
3. What does the next morning bring?
4. What does Paez do upon receiving this news?
5. How far are Canessa and Parrado from the nearest town called San Fernando?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the survivors react to the Andinists?
2. What takes place on December 12th?
3. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
4. What false hope do the survivors experience?
5. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
6. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
7. What is the summer sun doing? How is this good and bad?
8. How do the two men proceed after Vizintin goes back to the Fairchild?
9. What searches take place the next morning?
10. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 2
Bittersweet feelings sweep over the parents when the survivors' name are read.
Part 1) Why are the feelings bittersweet?
Part 2) What are your thoughts about the reactions of the family members? Are you at all surprised? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would you feel and react as the family member of one of the passengers who had not survived? How would you interact with the other family members and survivors? Why would you act this way?
Essay Topic 3
The Fairchild crashes in the Andes.
Part 1) Why does it crash in the Andes? How is this crash foreshadowed in this book?
Part 2) Could this type of accident occur today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this crash change the passengers' lives forever?
Part 4) How would your life be changed, if you had been a survivor?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)