|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose body is placed on reserve?
2. How many of the survivors had grown in their belief in God and wanted to share that message?
3. What does the army commander, Colonel Morel, agree to do?
4. Where do the hikers take shelter?
5. Where is a cross discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
2. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
3. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
4. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
5. What does the minor's story confirm? What is done with this information?
6. What do the thirteen survivors do as this section begins?
7. What is the summer sun doing? How is this good and bad?
8. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
9. What false hope do the survivors experience?
10. What do the survivors discover on day seventy-one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 2
Several expeditions take place.
Part 1) Describe two of these expeditions. Were they successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do these expeditions reveal about the survivors? Why?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about these expeditions? Would you be able to endure these difficult treks? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The final trek is successful.
Part 1) Describe this trek. Why is it successful?
Part 2) What would have been the survivors' outcome if the trek had not been successful? How do you know this?
Part 3) Would the survivors have given up, if the trek had not been successful? Explain.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)