|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom does Parrado focus?
2. Where do the hikers take shelter?
3. What is special about Wednesday, December 20th?
4. Why has Dr. Canessa not yet returned to Montevideo?
5. What do the survivors hear intermittently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What searches take place the next morning?
2. What do the thirteen survivors do as this section begins?
3. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
4. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
5. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
6. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
7. What takes place on December 23rd?
8. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
9. What false hope do the survivors experience?
10. What takes place on December 12th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bittersweet feelings sweep over the parents when the survivors' name are read.
Part 1) Why are the feelings bittersweet?
Part 2) What are your thoughts about the reactions of the family members? Are you at all surprised? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would you feel and react as the family member of one of the passengers who had not survived? How would you interact with the other family members and survivors? Why would you act this way?
Essay Topic 2
The survivors were not evacuated immediately.
Part 1) Why were they not evacuated immediately?
Part 2) How might they have felt about this?
Part 3) How might the rescue crew have felt when approaching the survivors? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The travelers on the Fairchild are from Uruguay.
Part 1) Describe Uruguay's history. How does this history affect these travelers?
Part 2) How does this country play a role in the outcome of this tragedy?
Part 3) How might the United States' response have been, compared to the Uruguayans? Explain.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)