|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Dr. Canessa fortunate?
2. Do the helicopters evacuate the survivors immediately?
3. Why are the pilots of the broken-down C-47 also disappointed?
4. With what are Armando and Enrique happy to supply the hikers?
5. The families oscillated between what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What searches take place the next morning?
2. What false hope do the survivors experience?
3. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
4. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
5. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
6. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
7. What do the survivors do when the first eight are flown away?
8. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
9. Why is Paez Vilaro detained by the international police?
10. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several expeditions take place.
Part 1) Describe two of these expeditions. Were they successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do these expeditions reveal about the survivors? Why?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about these expeditions? Would you be able to endure these difficult treks? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 3
The Fairchild crashes in the Andes.
Part 1) Why does it crash in the Andes? How is this crash foreshadowed in this book?
Part 2) Could this type of accident occur today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this crash change the passengers' lives forever?
Part 4) How would your life be changed, if you had been a survivor?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)