|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the carabineers prepared to retrieve survivors?
2. How many survivors are flown to San Fernando?
3. Where is a cross discovered?
4. Why are the pilots of the broken-down C-47 also disappointed?
5. Who do the helicopters carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
2. How do the men cross the river?
3. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
4. Why is Paez Vilaro lagging behind?
5. What do the thirteen survivors do as this section begins?
6. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
7. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
8. How do Canessa and Parrado feel when they awake?
9. It is surprising to the survivors?
10. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most important jobs belonged to Father Andres Rojas.
Part 1) What was his job? Why is it important?
Part 2) How might his help have affected the boys for the rest of their lives?
Part 3) What other people could help in a similar way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bittersweet feelings sweep over the parents when the survivors' name are read.
Part 1) Why are the feelings bittersweet?
Part 2) What are your thoughts about the reactions of the family members? Are you at all surprised? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would you feel and react as the family member of one of the passengers who had not survived? How would you interact with the other family members and survivors? Why would you act this way?
Essay Topic 3
Eight survivors are flown away first.
Part 1) Why are only eight flown away first? How are they chosen?
Part 2) Should the eight have been chosen this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this have affected the others? Why?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)