|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the transistor radio say has been found?
2. What do the survivors believe this find to be?
3. What is the real reason Paez Vilaro is detained?
4. During the night what does Diaz tell the survivors?
5. Why does Paez Vilaro think he gets detained by the international police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on December 23rd?
2. It is surprising to the survivors?
3. What false hope do the survivors experience?
4. Why is Paez Vilaro lagging behind?
5. What do the helicopters do when they arrive?
6. What takes place on December 12th?
7. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
8. What happens after the last survivors are rescued?
9. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
10. How do the survivors react to the Andinists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final trek is successful.
Part 1) Describe this trek. Why is it successful?
Part 2) What would have been the survivors' outcome if the trek had not been successful? How do you know this?
Part 3) Would the survivors have given up, if the trek had not been successful? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 3
Eight survivors are flown away first.
Part 1) Why are only eight flown away first? How are they chosen?
Part 2) Should the eight have been chosen this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this have affected the others? Why?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)