|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the transistor radio say has been found?
2. Why has Dr. Canessa not yet returned to Montevideo?
3. What is the roaring sound that Canessa and Parrado hear?
4. How does the extreme altitude affect the boys?
5. Why are the pilots of the broken-down C-47 also disappointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
2. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
3. What takes place on December 23rd?
4. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
5. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
6. What do the helicopters do when they arrive?
7. How do the two men proceed after Vizintin goes back to the Fairchild?
8. What takes place on December 12th?
9. How do Canessa and Parrado feel when they awake?
10. How do the survivors react to the Andinists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several expeditions take place.
Part 1) Describe two of these expeditions. Were they successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do these expeditions reveal about the survivors? Why?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about these expeditions? Would you be able to endure these difficult treks? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The travelers on the Fairchild are from Uruguay.
Part 1) Describe Uruguay's history. How does this history affect these travelers?
Part 2) How does this country play a role in the outcome of this tragedy?
Part 3) How might the United States' response have been, compared to the Uruguayans? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Fairchild crashes in the Andes.
Part 1) Why does it crash in the Andes? How is this crash foreshadowed in this book?
Part 2) Could this type of accident occur today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this crash change the passengers' lives forever?
Part 4) How would your life be changed, if you had been a survivor?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)