|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what are Armando and Enrique happy to supply the hikers?
2. What do Harley and Nicolich do when they hear the news?
3. The helicopters climbed how many feet before reaching the summit and moving down the opposite side?
4. To what do the family members need to adjust?
5. How is the snow under their feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paez Vilaro detained by the international police?
2. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
3. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
4. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
5. How do the men cross the river?
6. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
7. How do the two men proceed after Vizintin goes back to the Fairchild?
8. What searches take place the next morning?
9. How do the survivors react to the Andinists?
10. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The families do not give up hope.
Part 1) How do they show that they do not give up hope?
Part 2) What keeps them from giving up hope?
Part 3) Would you be as strong and hopeful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The survivors unanimously decided to eat the bodies of the dead.
Part 1) Why do they make this decision? What role does their faith play in this decision?
Part 2) How does this cannibalism affect outsiders? Why?
Part 3) How do you fell about this cannibalism? Why? Would you have done the same thing, if you were in this situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)