|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Canessa do when he hears the news?
2. What does the miner's story confirm?
3. How far are Canessa and Parrado from the nearest town called San Fernando?
4. What are the parents doing as Canessa and Parrado hike through the Andes?
5. Why are this many people rescued first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrival of the helicopters.
2. What false hope do the survivors experience?
3. Why are Canessa and Parrado nervous?
4. What do the parents learn from Ponce de Leon's radio?
5. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
6. What do the survivors discover on day seventy-one?
7. What do the survivors do when the first eight are flown away?
8. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
9. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
10. What is the summer sun doing? How is this good and bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The survivors attempt several courses of action to stay alive.
Part 1) What are two of these courses of action? How do they decide which courses of action to take?
Part 2) What do these courses of action reveal about the survivors?
Part 3) What do these attempts at survival reveal about mankind?
Essay Topic 2
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Fairchild is found.
Part 1) How is the Fairchild found? Could it have been found without the aid of the two hikers? Explain.
Part 2) What might have been the reactions of both the survivors and the families? Explain.
Part 3) How would you feel if you had been a survivor or family member? What might be your reaction?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)