|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did the pilots have experience flying over the Andes mountains?
2. What does the Air Force do to the parents?
3. Why do the parents try to locate a peasant miner?
4. When do the four return to the Fairchild?
5. What mountains does the refined search area surround?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the crash.
2. Who saved many from the avalanche?
3. What takes place on December 11th?
4. On Day Ten, what do the survivors decide?
5. What are the results of the avalanche?
6. Who is Rafael Ponce de Leon?
7. What was done after the air traffic control service lost contact with the Fairchild?
8. What information does Croiset Jr. give the parents?
9. What do the parents do on December 5th?
10. How does the ninth day begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fairchild crashes in the Andes.
Part 1) Why does it crash in the Andes? How is this crash foreshadowed in this book?
Part 2) Could this type of accident occur today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this crash change the passengers' lives forever?
Part 4) How would your life be changed, if you had been a survivor?
Essay Topic 2
Eight survivors are flown away first.
Part 1) Why are only eight flown away first? How are they chosen?
Part 2) Should the eight have been chosen this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this have affected the others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The families do not give up hope.
Part 1) How do they show that they do not give up hope?
Part 2) What keeps them from giving up hope?
Part 3) Would you be as strong and hopeful? Why or why not?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)