|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Montevideo, how are the women feeling?
2. In what do Madelon (Vilero) Rodriguez and Estela Perez continue to believe?
3. How does Paez Vilar become known?
4. Even if the plane is not buried in snow, why would it still be hard to see?
5. What happens on December 11th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who saved many from the avalanche?
2. Why is the team traveling to Chile?
3. What do the parents do on December 5th?
4. What do Madelon Rodriguez and Estela Perez continue to believe?
5. Who is Rafael Ponce de Leon?
6. How do Marcelo Perez and Daniel Fernandez feel about their friends? What do they do to help their friends?
7. What complicated the search?
8. Describe Uruguay when this book was written.
9. How do the survivors feel about the search being resumed?
10. When does the SAR send out a few planes in a specified area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several expeditions take place.
Part 1) Describe two of these expeditions. Were they successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do these expeditions reveal about the survivors? Why?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about these expeditions? Would you be able to endure these difficult treks? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The final trek is successful.
Part 1) Describe this trek. Why is it successful?
Part 2) What would have been the survivors' outcome if the trek had not been successful? How do you know this?
Part 3) Would the survivors have given up, if the trek had not been successful? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Twenty-nine of the forty-five passengers and crew did not survive.
Part 1) What is the main cause for most of their deaths?
Part 2) Could many of these deaths have been avoided, other than by not crashing? Explain.
Part 3) How might the dead feel about the ways their bodies had been used? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)