|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponce de Leon help the families?
2. Why are they forced to eat the bodies that had recently died and remained in the cabin?
3. When do the four return to the Fairchild?
4. What are the Chilean military police called?
5. How do the parents of the rugby players feel about the government calling off the search after so little effort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place back at the Fairchild?
2. How does the ninth day begin?
3. On what do Canessa and Parrado focus during their hike?
4. How is Wednesday, December 20th important?
5. How does Ponce de Leon help the families of those lost in the Andes?
6. What was happening with the search while Parrado and Canessa hiked?
7. What are the effects of a second avalanche?
8. What do the parents do on December 5th?
9. Describe the surprise Parrado and Canessa received the next morning.
10. Describe the crash.
Essay Topic 1
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The survivors were not evacuated immediately.
Part 1) Why were they not evacuated immediately?
Part 2) How might they have felt about this?
Part 3) How might the rescue crew have felt when approaching the survivors? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The travelers on the Fairchild are from Uruguay.
Part 1) Describe Uruguay's history. How does this history affect these travelers?
Part 2) How does this country play a role in the outcome of this tragedy?
Part 3) How might the United States' response have been, compared to the Uruguayans? Explain.
This section contains 1,877 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)