|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the school systems in place at that time lack?
2. Who is the only surviving woman?
3. Who spurred on the expedition team so they could make it back to the Fairchild?
4. What does the record amount of snowfall in the Andes mountains do to the SAR's search?
5. How had Numa Tarcatti and Pancho Delgado survived under the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uruguay when this book was written.
2. How do the survivors prepare to sleep?
3. How do Marcelo Perez and Daniel Fernandez feel about their friends? What do they do to help their friends?
4. What is taking place back at the Fairchild?
5. How does Ponce de Leon help the families of those lost in the Andes?
6. What are the results of the avalanche?
7. Why is the team traveling to Chile?
8. How does the ninth day begin?
9. What takes place on December 11th?
10. Describe the crash.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important jobs belonged to Father Andres Rojas.
Part 1) What was his job? Why is it important?
Part 2) How might his help have affected the boys for the rest of their lives?
Part 3) What other people could help in a similar way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The families do not give up hope.
Part 1) How do they show that they do not give up hope?
Part 2) What keeps them from giving up hope?
Part 3) Would you be as strong and hopeful? Why or why not?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)