|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The radio team heard news that the search would be resumed by the Uruguayan Air Force. What does this information bring?
2. For what were citizens in the 1950s searching?
3. What do the concerned and confused family members begin to do?
4. To what do the men return?
5. Who found himself covered in snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Day Ten.
2. What information does Croiset Jr. give the parents?
3. What takes place on December 11th?
4. What was done after the air traffic control service lost contact with the Fairchild?
5. When does the SAR send out a few planes in a specified area?
6. How do the survivors prepare to sleep?
7. Describe Uruguay when this book was written.
8. How does Ponce de Leon help the families of those lost in the Andes?
9. On Day Ten, what do the survivors decide?
10. How does the ninth day begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It was not easy for the survivors to slip back into their normal lives.
Part 1) Why might this be difficult? What were their various reactions to returning to normal life?
Part 2) Could one who experiences such trauma ever truly return to a previous lifestyle? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is there any way the survivors can benefit from this experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Eight survivors are flown away first.
Part 1) Why are only eight flown away first? How are they chosen?
Part 2) Should the eight have been chosen this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this have affected the others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The survivors left behind when the first eight were evacuated talked and ate with the Andinists.
Part 1) What did they share with each other?
Part 2) Why did they share this information? What might have been the reaction of the Andinists to their stories? Why?
Part 3) How does this reaction lead to future events?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)