|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is contacted when the air traffic control service lost contact with the Fairchild?
2. On December 11th, what do the parents do?
3. Canessa and Parrado remained at the Fairchild and attempted to do what?
4. Who spurred on the expedition team so they could make it back to the Fairchild?
5. What does the record amount of snowfall in the Andes mountains do to the SAR's search?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is surprising to the survivors?
2. Who is Rafael Ponce de Leon?
3. Describe Uruguay when this book was written.
4. What takes place on December 23rd?
5. When do Canessa and Parrado first encounter another human being?
6. What are the effects of a second avalanche?
7. How do the parents feel about the reading of the survivors' names?
8. How is the cross found in the snow discouraging to the parents?
9. What do the parents do on December 5th?
10. Describe the crash.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty-nine of the forty-five passengers and crew did not survive.
Part 1) What is the main cause for most of their deaths?
Part 2) Could many of these deaths have been avoided, other than by not crashing? Explain.
Part 3) How might the dead feel about the ways their bodies had been used? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Eight survivors are flown away first.
Part 1) Why are only eight flown away first? How are they chosen?
Part 2) Should the eight have been chosen this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this have affected the others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The survivors unanimously decided to eat the bodies of the dead.
Part 1) Why do they make this decision? What role does their faith play in this decision?
Part 2) How does this cannibalism affect outsiders? Why?
Part 3) How do you fell about this cannibalism? Why? Would you have done the same thing, if you were in this situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,916 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)