|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As what is Gerard Croiset well known?
2. What do the concerned and confused family members begin to do?
3. What slowly replaced the local love of soccer?
4. What mountains does the refined search area surround?
5. What animals noticed the survivors and dead bodies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uruguay when this book was written.
2. How do the survivors feel about the search being resumed?
3. What complicated the search?
4. Who saved many from the avalanche?
5. Describe the plane they chartered and the course which it was to take.
6. What do the parents do on December 5th?
7. What are Canessa and Parrado trying to fix?
8. How do Marcelo Perez and Daniel Fernandez feel about their friends? What do they do to help their friends?
9. How does the ninth day begin?
10. How do the parents feel about the called off search? How do they respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final trek is successful.
Part 1) Describe this trek. Why is it successful?
Part 2) What would have been the survivors' outcome if the trek had not been successful? How do you know this?
Part 3) Would the survivors have given up, if the trek had not been successful? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Both the SAR and family members search for the Fairchild and its passengers.
Part 1) Describe the various searches. How does the history of Uruguay affect these searches?
Part 2) What is unusual about some of the tactics used by the families? Would these sources of information be trusted in the United States? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the author convey the feelings of disappointment, joy, and suspense felt by these people?
Essay Topic 3
Several expeditions take place.
Part 1) Describe two of these expeditions. Were they successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do these expeditions reveal about the survivors? Why?
Part 3) What are your thoughts about these expeditions? Would you be able to endure these difficult treks? Why or why not?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)