|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else does Alicia try to send a gift to?
2. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
3. How are they eventually released?
4. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What adventures does Alicia have while traveling to Chernovtsy.
2. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
3. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
4. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
5. What happens on what would be Alicia's final transport?
6. While hanging out with her new friends, what happens to Alicia?
7. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
8. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
9. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
10. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
- Describe Alicia's relationship with her brothers.
- As they begin to be killed in the war, how does Alicia mourn them?
- How is she able move past the deaths of all of her brothers in order to survive?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)