|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors began to circulate around Poland in March?
2. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
3. In May, what does Alicia have no difficulty finding?
4. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
5. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
2. After she finds Bella, what does Alicia decide to do with her life?
3. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
4. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
5. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
6. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
7. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
8. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
9. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
10. Where does Benjamin wish to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Star of David symbolize to the Jewish community?
After the war, what did the Star of David symbolize?
Did the meaning of this religious artifact change because of the Nazis' use of it?
Essay Topic 2
Detail the lives of the Jurman family prior to the start of the war?
- What was their family life like?
- What was their status in the community?
- How did the children interact with one another?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)