|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
2. After finding Bella and her son Danny, what does Alicia begin doing?
3. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
4. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
5. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
2. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
3. Why do Alicia and Peppa travel to Breslau?
4. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
5. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
6. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
7. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
8. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
9. Where does Benjamin wish to go?
10. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the war, why does Alicia strive to gain education?
Does she think that it will better her life to be educated?
Is going to school allowing her to catch up on a life she missed out on?
Essay Topic 2
How does Alicia show her love for her family throughout the novel?
Although she has lost all of her immediate family, how does telling their story make her stronger?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia and her mother outlive all of the men in their family. How do they figure out a way to overcome the loss of all of the Jurman males?
How does Alicia work to keep the memories of her father and her brothers alive?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)