|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
2. Once back at Buczacz, why don't Jews speak to each other?
3. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
4. What does this person confirm for her?
5. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Alicia and Peppa travel to Breslau?
2. How is mother killed?
3. To make Benjamin feel better, what does Alicia tell him?
4. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
5. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
6. For her loyalty and bravery, how is Alicia rewarded?
7. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
8. While hanging out with her new friends, what happens to Alicia?
9. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
10. What two new relationships does Alicia develop with people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)