|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Alicia to become reunited with her mother's cousin?
2. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
3. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
4. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
5. Who else was involved in the black market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
2. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
3. While hanging out with her new friends, what happens to Alicia?
4. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
5. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
6. What two new relationships does Alicia develop with people?
7. Why do Alicia and Peppa travel to Breslau?
8. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
9. In this section, what does it seem like many of the Poles want?
10. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia and her mother outlive all of the men in their family. How do they figure out a way to overcome the loss of all of the Jurman males?
How does Alicia work to keep the memories of her father and her brothers alive?
Essay Topic 2
While men were on the war front or imprisoned, many women were forced to stay behind and take command of not only the domestic needs of their family but also the workforce.
- How did Polish and Polish Jewish women react when their husbands, brothers, and sons were taken away?
- In what ways did they step into what are typically male roles?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)