|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manka reveal to Alicia?
2. What does this person confirm for her?
3. What have some of the Jewish men created in Poland?
4. How does Bella's friend help Alicia?
5. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
2. What adventures does Alicia have while traveling to Chernovtsy.
3. What happens on what would be Alicia's final transport?
4. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
5. How does Alicia escape?
6. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
7. While hanging out with her new friends, what happens to Alicia?
8. What hopeful news about the resistance does Alicia hear?
9. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
10. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia bonds deeply with Wujciu, a kind beekeeper who lives alone.
Although they are not blood related, how does Wujciu prove that he is a true family member?
Describe his actions throughout the winter that Alicia spends with him and the other families in his home.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)