|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manka reveal to Alicia?
2. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
3. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
4. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
5. What rumors began to circulate around Poland in March?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two new relationships does Alicia develop with people?
2. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
3. How does Alicia escape?
4. To make Benjamin feel better, what does Alicia tell him?
5. What hopeful news about the resistance does Alicia hear?
6. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
7. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
8. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
9. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
10. Why do Alicia and Peppa travel to Breslau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Alicia show her love for her family throughout the novel?
Although she has lost all of her immediate family, how does telling their story make her stronger?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)