|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
2. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
3. How was Benjamin injured?
4. Who led the transports while Alicia is being trained to be a transporter?
5. Where is Alicia sent to recuperate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
2. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
3. What does Tzivia do with the Brecha?
4. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
5. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
6. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
7. What happens on what would be Alicia's final transport?
8. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
9. What adventures does Alicia have while traveling to Chernovtsy.
10. How does Alicia escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Star of David symbolize to the Jewish community?
After the war, what did the Star of David symbolize?
Did the meaning of this religious artifact change because of the Nazis' use of it?
Essay Topic 2
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 3
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)