|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
2. While on their outing, why are they arrested by two Russian officers?
3. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
4. While in prison, how are they treated?
5. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tzivia do with the Brecha?
2. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
3. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
4. What two new relationships does Alicia develop with people?
5. How does Alicia work to help Mrs. Taub's son?
6. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
7. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
8. After she finds Bella, what does Alicia decide to do with her life?
9. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
10. In this section, what does it seem like many of the Poles want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 3
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)