|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were these people disguised?
2. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
3. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
4. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
5. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on what would be Alicia's final transport?
2. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
3. For her loyalty and bravery, how is Alicia rewarded?
4. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
5. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
6. While hanging out with her new friends, what happens to Alicia?
7. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
8. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
9. What hopeful news about the resistance does Alicia hear?
10. What is different about Mrs. Taub's six year old son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 2
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)