|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
2. Once back at Buczacz, why don't Jews speak to each other?
3. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
4. How long are they kept in prison?
5. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alicia escape?
2. What adventures does Alicia have while traveling to Chernovtsy.
3. What hopeful news about the resistance does Alicia hear?
4. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
5. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
6. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
7. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
8. How is mother killed?
9. What happens on what would be Alicia's final transport?
10. What does Tzivia do with the Brecha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Star of David symbolize to the Jewish community?
After the war, what did the Star of David symbolize?
Did the meaning of this religious artifact change because of the Nazis' use of it?
Essay Topic 2
- Describe Alicia's relationship with her brothers.
- As they begin to be killed in the war, how does Alicia mourn them?
- How is she able move past the deaths of all of her brothers in order to survive?
Essay Topic 3
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)