|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
2. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
3. What takes Alicia to a United Nations Hospital?
4. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
5. How does Bella's friend help Alicia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alicia so upset about this final transport?
2. How does Alicia attempt to repay her "uncle?"
3. Why did the Ukrainians have such hate for many Polish people?
4. For her loyalty and bravery, how is Alicia rewarded?
5. Why do Alicia and Peppa travel to Breslau?
6. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
7. What is the very difficult practice that Alicia must endure to ensure food for not only her and her mother, but also the others living with the beekeeper?
8. How does Alicia escape?
9. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
10. What does Tzivia do with the Brecha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia bonds deeply with Wujciu, a kind beekeeper who lives alone.
Although they are not blood related, how does Wujciu prove that he is a true family member?
Describe his actions throughout the winter that Alicia spends with him and the other families in his home.
Essay Topic 3
How does Alicia show her love for her family throughout the novel?
Although she has lost all of her immediate family, how does telling their story make her stronger?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)