|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
2. What must Jews now wear?
3. At first how did life change under Russian occupation?
4. What do the stories Alicia tells in Chapter 8 reinforce?
5. How many Jewish men are forced to go to the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Alicia's first run-in with Antisemitism?
2. What action of some of the Nazi soldiers shows how cruel and heartless many of them were?
3. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
4. What happened to Hebrew when The Russians took over Poland?
5. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
6. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
7. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
8. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
9. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
10. What causes Alicia to be picked up in a transport car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia and her mother outlive all of the men in their family. How do they figure out a way to overcome the loss of all of the Jurman males?
How does Alicia work to keep the memories of her father and her brothers alive?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
Essay Topic 3
After the war, why does Alicia strive to gain education?
Does she think that it will better her life to be educated?
Is going to school allowing her to catch up on a life she missed out on?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)