|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language were children now forced to speak?
2. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
3. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
4. What saves Alicia?
5. Where did Alicia and her family hide when the Nazis come to the ghetto in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
2. How did Bella escape from the farmers that kidnapped her family?
3. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
4. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
5. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
6. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
7. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
8. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
9. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
10. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia bonds deeply with Wujciu, a kind beekeeper who lives alone.
Although they are not blood related, how does Wujciu prove that he is a true family member?
Describe his actions throughout the winter that Alicia spends with him and the other families in his home.
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)