|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Jews now wear?
2. What language were children now forced to speak?
3. Who has Alicia become fast friends from?
4. How many brothers did Alicia have?
5. At the camp, what are the prisoners fed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who help to nurse Alicia back to health after she escapes being sent on a death march?
2. How does Alicia try to help herself, her mother, and others?
3. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
4. In a twist of fate, how does Alicia become reconnected to her mother?
5. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
6. Where does Alicia find herself as this section begins and why does she watch peasants as she tries to find her way back to her home town?
7. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
8. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
9. How does Alicia find her way home after being caught in the transport car?
10. What causes Alicia to be picked up in a transport car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 2
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)