|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the new ghetto?
2. Why is Alicia accidentally taken to a concentration camp?
3. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
4. During her early years, what didn't Alicia experience?
5. Why wasn't Alicia's section of Poland invaded sooner?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
2. How does Alicia find her way home after being caught in the transport car?
3. How did Bella escape from the farmers that kidnapped her family?
4. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
5. What was Alicia's first run-in with Antisemitism?
6. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
7. Where does Alicia find herself as this section begins and why does she watch peasants as she tries to find her way back to her home town?
8. What did many of Alicia's brothers and male friends grow up doing?
9. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
10. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
Essay Topic 2
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
Essay Topic 3
After the war, why does Alicia strive to gain education?
Does she think that it will better her life to be educated?
Is going to school allowing her to catch up on a life she missed out on?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)