|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Alicia become fast friends from?
2. When Alicia is finally healthy enough to get home, what does she find?
3. How many brothers did Alicia have?
4. After the most recent raid in the Jewish ghetto, how many Jews died?
5. How is she able to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Alicia to be picked up in a transport car?
2. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
3. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
4. When the Germans arrived in Poland, what has happened to the Russians and Poles?
5. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
6. In Chapter 5, what event crushes the family?
7. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
8. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
9. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
10. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 2
After the war, why does Alicia strive to gain education?
Does she think that it will better her life to be educated?
Is going to school allowing her to catch up on a life she missed out on?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the following relationships to one another:
-Alicia and her mother
-Alicia and Bella
- Alicia and Sophie
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)