|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where aren't Jews allowed?
2. During this time, how did Alicia and her mother find food to eat?
3. What was Buczacz perfect for?
4. When the Ukrainian gangs became bored with exterminating the Jews, who did they turn their rage to?
5. Where does Alicia end up at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do so many people decide to stay away from the beekeeper?
2. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
3. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
4. What action of some of the Nazi soldiers shows how cruel and heartless many of them were?
5. When the Germans arrived in Poland, what has happened to the Russians and Poles?
6. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
7. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
8. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
9. What did many of Alicia's brothers and male friends grow up doing?
10. How does Alicia try to help herself, her mother, and others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While men were on the war front or imprisoned, many women were forced to stay behind and take command of not only the domestic needs of their family but also the workforce.
- How did Polish and Polish Jewish women react when their husbands, brothers, and sons were taken away?
- In what ways did they step into what are typically male roles?
Essay Topic 2
After the war, why does Alicia strive to gain education?
Does she think that it will better her life to be educated?
Is going to school allowing her to catch up on a life she missed out on?
Essay Topic 3
- Describe Alicia's relationship with her brothers.
- As they begin to be killed in the war, how does Alicia mourn them?
- How is she able move past the deaths of all of her brothers in order to survive?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)