|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alicia give up her radishes?
2. What is the name of Alicia's younger brother?
3. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
4. When Moshe comes home, how does he appear?
5. Where does Alicia end up at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is getting to Israel so difficult?
2. How does living in the ghetto cause many of the Jewish people to act towards one another.
3. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
4. How does Alicia's story have a happy ending?
5. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
6. What action of some of the Nazi soldiers shows how cruel and heartless many of them were?
7. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
8. To make Benjamin feel better, what does Alicia tell him?
9. How does Alicia escape?
10. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
Essay Topic 1
Alicia is forced to spend much of her early adolescence and teenage years running from the Nazis and protecting her family. Had she not been forced to endure this kind of life, how would Alicia spent most of her time as a young Jewish girl and woman in Poland?
Essay Topic 2
How does Alicia show her love for her family throughout the novel?
Although she has lost all of her immediate family, how does telling their story make her stronger?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia bonds deeply with Wujciu, a kind beekeeper who lives alone.
Although they are not blood related, how does Wujciu prove that he is a true family member?
Describe his actions throughout the winter that Alicia spends with him and the other families in his home.
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)