|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What winter clothes is Alicia given?
2. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
3. What saves Alicia?
4. How many brothers did Alicia have?
5. After the most recent raid in the Jewish ghetto, how many Jews died?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
2. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
3. When the Germans arrived in Poland, what has happened to the Russians and Poles?
4. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
5. Where does Alicia find herself as this section begins and why does she watch peasants as she tries to find her way back to her home town?
6. What happened to Hebrew when The Russians took over Poland?
7. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
8. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
9. Why do so many people decide to stay away from the beekeeper?
10. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- Describe Alicia's relationship with her brothers.
- As they begin to be killed in the war, how does Alicia mourn them?
- How is she able move past the deaths of all of her brothers in order to survive?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)