|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
2. While life continues on, what has rooted itself into the town?
3. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
4. Where aren't Jews allowed?
5. What was Buczacz perfect for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs Gold choose to help Alicia after she has already nursed her back to health?
2. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
3. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
4. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
5. How does Alicia try to help herself, her mother, and others?
6. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
7. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
8. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
9. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
10. How does living in the ghetto cause many of the Jewish people to act towards one another.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
Essay Topic 3
Alicia bonds deeply with Wujciu, a kind beekeeper who lives alone.
Although they are not blood related, how does Wujciu prove that he is a true family member?
Describe his actions throughout the winter that Alicia spends with him and the other families in his home.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)