|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Moshe returns from school in Moscow?
2. At first how did life change under Russian occupation?
3. What did Jewish boys enjoy doing?
4. What happens to the newborn baby hidden in the kitchen of the Alicia's home?
5. What does Alicia often attempt to sell to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
2. In Chapter 5, what event crushes the family?
3. How does Mrs Gold choose to help Alicia after she has already nursed her back to health?
4. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
5. How does Alicia find her way home after being caught in the transport car?
6. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
7. What happened to Hebrew when The Russians took over Poland?
8. Why do so many people decide to stay away from the beekeeper?
9. How did Bella escape from the farmers that kidnapped her family?
10. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inaction caused many people to die in World War II. For instance, so many Poles did nothing while their neighbors died. What is worse, doing nothing and saving no one or acting to save someone and failing. Does any character in the book, besides Alicia, risk everything to help save other Jews?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
How does Alicia show her love for her family throughout the novel?
Although she has lost all of her immediate family, how does telling their story make her stronger?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)