|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Alicia accept the invitation to go to the mountains?
2. When Alicia is finally healthy enough to get home, what does she find?
3. What was Buczacz perfect for?
4. What happens to the Jews that go to a synagogue?
5. What happens when Moshe returns from school in Moscow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Alicia find herself as this section begins and why does she watch peasants as she tries to find her way back to her home town?
2. How did Bella escape from the farmers that kidnapped her family?
3. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
4. What became the fate of Moshe, Alicia's brother?
5. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
6. How does Mrs Gold choose to help Alicia after she has already nursed her back to health?
7. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
8. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
9. Why do so many people decide to stay away from the beekeeper?
10. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ghettos that Alicia was constantly forced to live in.
How did these ghettos work to separate the Jewish Poles from other Poles?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)