|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Alicia enjoy telling?
2. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
3. What must Jews now wear?
4. At the end of Chapter 13, how are Alicia and her mother able to gain shelter from?
5. When was Bella's husband taken by the Russians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does living in the ghetto cause many of the Jewish people to act towards one another.
2. Why do so many people decide to stay away from the beekeeper?
3. Where does Alicia find herself as this section begins and why does she watch peasants as she tries to find her way back to her home town?
4. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
5. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
6. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
7. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
8. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
9. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
10. How did Bella escape from the farmers that kidnapped her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- Describe Alicia's relationship with her brothers.
- As they begin to be killed in the war, how does Alicia mourn them?
- How is she able move past the deaths of all of her brothers in order to survive?
Essay Topic 2
Many times throughout the book, Alicia exhibits her own selflessness.
- Give three examples of how Alicia puts others before herself.
- In each of these situations, how does Alicia but someone else's life before hers?
- How or why is she able to be so selfless?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)