|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does the author give?
2. How would Alicia gather heat for her family?
3. Why is Alicia accidentally taken to a concentration camp?
4. When Alicia is finally healthy enough to get home, what does she find?
5. What saves Alicia?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
2. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
3. What was Alicia's first run-in with Antisemitism?
4. What did many of Alicia's brothers and male friends grow up doing?
5. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
6. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
7. In a twist of fate, how does Alicia become reconnected to her mother?
8. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
9. Who help to nurse Alicia back to health after she escapes being sent on a death march?
10. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
Alicia is forced to spend much of her early adolescence and teenage years running from the Nazis and protecting her family. Had she not been forced to endure this kind of life, how would Alicia spent most of her time as a young Jewish girl and woman in Poland?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)