|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who murders all of Alicia's family that lived in the mountains?
2. Where were people who committed unnamed crimes sent?
3. Where does Alicia end up at the end of the chapter?
4. Why did the family go without food for periods of time?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does the author give?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
2. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
3. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
4. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
5. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
6. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
7. How does living in the ghetto cause many of the Jewish people to act towards one another.
8. In a twist of fate, how does Alicia become reconnected to her mother?
9. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
10. How does Alicia try to help herself, her mother, and others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Milek and Benjamin as a support network for Alicia.
How do both of these people work to support Alicia at some point of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Alicia is lucky to find Poles and Ukrainians who agree to keep her background and whereabouts a secret.
- Name 3 groups of people that are able to help Alicia without endangering themselves.
- Then detail how exactly people were able to able to help Alicia and/or her mother.
- How do you think they might have risked their lives by helping Alicia?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nazis successful turn the Jews into the "other?" In relation to this question, discuss the following:
- Nazi propaganda
- Polish sentiment towards the Jews prior to the war.
- The movement of Jews into the ghetto and forced labeling using the Star of David.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)