|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Alicia's new friend, Bella, come from?
2. Over time, what happens because of the occupation?
3. Who has Alicia become fast friends from?
4. So far, how many brothers have been lost?
5. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who help to nurse Alicia back to health after she escapes being sent on a death march?
2. What action of some of the Nazi soldiers shows how cruel and heartless many of them were?
3. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
4. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
5. How is Zachary's death a way to warn Jews against mounting a resistance?
6. What was Alicia's first run-in with Antisemitism?
7. How does Alicia show her selflessness in this section?
8. How does living in the ghetto cause many of the Jewish people to act towards one another.
9. What causes Alicia to be picked up in a transport car?
10. In Chapter 5, what event crushes the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While men were on the war front or imprisoned, many women were forced to stay behind and take command of not only the domestic needs of their family but also the workforce.
- How did Polish and Polish Jewish women react when their husbands, brothers, and sons were taken away?
- In what ways did they step into what are typically male roles?
Essay Topic 2
- What does Israel seem to symbolize for all of the Jews that have survived the war?
- According to Alicia, what other countries become important destinations for Jews?
- How does Alicia finally make it into Israel?
Essay Topic 3
Although the war ends, Alicia still feels like she is treated poorly because of her religion or her nationality.
Describe two occasions when Alicia is discriminated against because of her religion or her nationality.
How does she work to overcome these obstacles she is faced with?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)