|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did many people think that Poland would be invaded?
2. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
3. How does Alicia obtain food and winter clothes?
4. What must Jews now wear?
5. Why was a villager cast out by his peers when he had an epileptic fit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Alicia to be picked up in a transport car?
2. How did life change once the Russians took over control of Poland?
3. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
4. What did many of Alicia's brothers and male friends grow up doing?
5. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
6. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
7. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
8. What was Alicia's first run-in with Antisemitism?
9. How does Alicia find her way home after being caught in the transport car?
10. What happened to Hebrew when The Russians took over Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the lives of the Jurman family prior to the start of the war?
- What was their family life like?
- What was their status in the community?
- How did the children interact with one another?
Essay Topic 2
During World War II, the Russian and Germans had a very tense relationship.
Describe the international relations between the Russians and Germans at the beginning of the war.
What changes in Russian-Nazi relations, to cause Russia to join the allies and work to liberate Eastern Europe.
Essay Topic 3
Alicia shows an amazing amount of courage for a person of her age.
- Describe 4 times where Alicia defies odds to stay alive?
- What is it about Alicia and her outlook on life that forces her to overcome death?
- For each example, detail Alicia's motivation for survival.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)