|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
(a) She wears peasant clothing.
(b) She is fluent in Russian and Ukrainian.
(c) She is the best worker she can be.
(d) She takes on peasant mannerisms.
2. Why doesn't Alicia accept the invitation to go to the mountains?
(a) She thinks her brother should go instead of her.
(b) She cannot leave her mother and remaining brothers.
(c) She fears that the Nazis will go there next.
(d) She has bad allergies and will be miserable there.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does the author give?
(a) The author gives a summary of Ukrainian and Polish relations.
(b) The author discusses how Milek got involved in the resistance movement.
(c) Information on her youngest brother's whereabouts.
(d) The author explains Alicia's background.
4. What were the Jews proud of?
(a) Their money.
(b) Their heritage and community.
(c) Their heritage.
(d) Their community.
5. Who helps Alicia nurse her family back to health?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jewish boys enjoy doing?
2. What must the family now do to survive?
3. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
4. What is the family's new winter hiding place called?
5. Where was Alicia placed after being caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
2. As the winter comes, how do the Jews protect themselves from Nazi raids?
3. Were were Poles who disobeyed the Russians sent?
4. How does Alicia finally find her way back to her hometown and what does she find when she arrives?
5. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
6. What action of some of the Nazi soldiers shows how cruel and heartless many of them were?
7. How does Alicia show her selflessness in this section?
8. Where do Alicia and her siblings go everyday to try to make money?
9. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
10. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)