|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important event happens at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) All the Jews were moved in a ghetto.
(b) The Jews flee Poland.
(c) Almost all Jews are sent to camps.
(d) The Jews are forced to hide in bunkers everyday.
2. Why did the family go without food for periods of time?
(a) So they could trade it to sell.
(b) So that Alicia's mother's family could have food.
(c) So they could send food to Bunio.
(d) So the youngest child could eat.
3. Where were boys encouraged to go by Russians?
(a) To school in Moscow.
(b) To go to the Ukraine.
(c) Stay at home with their families.
(d) To join the Russian army.
4. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
(a) She runs outside to warn others that the Nazis are coming.
(b) She is not caught.
(c) She is crying when they come to look for her.
(d) Alicia chooses to stay out in the open with two babies and nurse them.
5. Why is Alicia accidentally taken to a concentration camp?
(a) She was rounded up with a group of young girls.
(b) The Nazis think she is a part of the resistance.
(c) She runs after her mother and is then forced to go with her to the camp.
(d) Because she is mistaken for her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
2. What story does Alicia enjoy telling?
3. How is Bunio killed?
4. What winter clothes is Alicia given?
5. Where had Alicia's new friend, Bella, come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does meeting Bella's family help Alicia make it through through this section of the novel?
2. Why did Alicia's employer cease to allow Alicia and her mother to work and stay under her roof?
3. How does Alicia show her selflessness in this section?
4. When the Germans arrived in Poland, what has happened to the Russians and Poles?
5. As a child where does Alicia grow up with her family and was it a nice place for Jewish people to live?
6. In a twist of fate, how does Alicia become reconnected to her mother?
7. Why are Alicia and her family more prepared for the move to the ghetto?
8. What is the second way that Alicia proves she is selfless in this section?
9. What upsets Zachary so much that he decides to join into the resistance?
10. What happened to Hebrew when The Russians took over Poland?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)