|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Benjamin injured?
(a) He was shot in the arm.
(b) A bomb exploded in his bunker.
(c) Shot in the leg.
(d) A land mine blew his leg off.
2. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
(a) She wants him to hide it from others while he travels.
(b) She hopes that he will not spend it all.
(c) She thinks he will ask for more.
(d) She knows he will not accept her money.
3. What does Manka reveal to Alicia?
(a) That she is going to turn Alicia in for being Jewish.
(b) A Ukrainian boy likes her very much.
(c) All in the village knew that Alicia and her mother were Jewish.
(d) That other villagers are mad she is working in their village.
4. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(b) She will miss all the people she worked with.
(c) She does not want to leave her job.
(d) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
5. Where does she stay in between trips?
(a) She stays with Sophie.
(b) With Bella.
(c) She stays with Peppa, a fellow worker.
(d) She lives with her mother's cousin.
6. While in prison, how are they treated?
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(c) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(d) They are treated like other prisoners.
7. On what becomes her final transport, who does Alicia have trouble moving?
(a) Two pregnant Jewish women.
(b) Four German Jewish business men.
(c) Five young children.
(d) Three Russian Jewish army officers.
8. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Having nowhere to sleep.
(b) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(c) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
(d) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
9. What does Alicia believe of her father?
(a) He should have fought harder to stay with her and her family.
(b) Had he lived, her mother would have survived.
(c) He was a strong, proud, successful Jewish man.
(d) He was a loving father.
10. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) Three other people.
(b) She is alone in her room.
(c) Two other people.
(d) Four other people.
11. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her dreams of moving to America.
(b) Her work with the Brecha.
(c) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(d) Her work with the orphans.
12. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
(a) To see the destruction of the city.
(b) To look for food.
(c) To see the city.
(d) To see Bronia's family.
13. Once back at Buczacz, why don't Jews speak to each other?
(a) They are overcome with grief.
(b) They are scared to gather together.
(c) They want to forget the war happened.
(d) They could not openly share their grief or they felt guilt about surviving.
14. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She gives him nice clothing.
(b) She give him a new hat.
(c) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
(d) She gives him food for the season.
15. What have some of the Jewish men created in Poland?
(a) Resistance forces.
(b) Their own town for the Jews to hide in.
(c) Their own army.
(d) A way to get to Israel without getting caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bella's friend help Alicia?
2. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
3. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
4. How does Kola's family reward Alicia for rescuing the Russians?
5. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)