|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are they kept in prison?
(a) An entire year.
(b) 8 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 1 month.
2. What does Alicia realize when she arrives at her father's factory?
(a) She must reclaim the factory to feel whole again.
(b) Reclaiming the factory will not bring him back.
(c) She wants the factory to remain in her family.
(d) The factory is much more prosperous than she thought.
3. Who does Alicia "adopt" and spend a large amount of time with?
(d) Danny, Bella's son.
4. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Benjamin has killed herself.
(b) She learns that Milek has died.
(c) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(d) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
5. What does Alicia believe of her father?
(a) He should have fought harder to stay with her and her family.
(b) He was a loving father.
(c) He was a strong, proud, successful Jewish man.
(d) Had he lived, her mother would have survived.
6. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
(b) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
(c) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
(d) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
7. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(c) They are treated like other prisoners.
8. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
(b) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(c) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(d) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
9. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
(a) Her father's factory.
(b) Alicia's mother's grave.
(c) Milek's grave at the Jewish semetary.
(d) Her uncle's farm.
10. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
(a) Hotel Bristol.
(b) Hotel Straubinger.
(c) Villa Sassa Hotel.
(d) Coeur des Alpes.
11. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Having nowhere to sleep.
(b) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(c) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
(d) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
12. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
(a) Many Jews do not return.
(b) They are murdered by Poles for trying to take their property back.
(c) They return to ruined businesses.
(d) They are given their property and businesses back.
13. Where does she stay in between trips?
(a) She stays with Peppa, a fellow worker.
(b) With Bella.
(c) She lives with her mother's cousin.
(d) She stays with Sophie.
14. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(b) They are cruel people.
(c) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
(d) She wishes she was not Jewish.
15. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
(a) She agrees to go to prison in their place.
(b) She lets them take some of her transports to prison.
(c) She decides to forge papers to get them through the border.
(d) She gives away all of her money and earnings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
2. What was Alicia's only joy that winter?
3. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
4. While on their outing, why are they arrested by two Russian officers?
5. How does Kola's family reward Alicia for rescuing the Russians?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)