|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
(a) To see if she can reclaim what is rightful hers and her family's.
(b) She hopes to create her own factory and wants to see how her father's was run.
(c) She wishes to collect the money that she thinks is rightly hers.
(d) She wants to rememeber what life what like before the war.
2. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
(b) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
(c) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(d) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
3. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
(a) Fight harder to survive the winter.
(b) Lie to her mother about her father's status.
(c) She feels numb.
(d) Grieve for her father again.
4. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She learns that Milek has died.
(b) Benjamin has killed herself.
(c) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(d) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
5. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
(b) She will not have to struggle for food.
(c) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(d) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
6. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
(a) They are not as close as they once were.
(b) He is sad her mother has died.
(c) Their reunion was joyful.
(d) Their reunion is sad.
7. In May, what does Alicia have no difficulty finding?
(a) Work on farms.
(b) Family members that survived.
(c) Other Jews that survived.
(d) Being a servant in the house of rich people.
8. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
(a) Her father's factory.
(b) Her uncle's farm.
(c) Milek's grave at the Jewish semetary.
(d) Alicia's mother's grave.
9. Who else was involved in the black market?
(b) The Blieners.
10. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) Killed in a concentration camp.
(b) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(c) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(d) Killed in a Russian prison.
11. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(b) Her health is much improved.
(c) She is extremely sick.
(d) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
12. How old is Benjamin when he and Alicia begin to visit one another?
13. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her work with the Brecha.
(b) Her work with the orphans.
(c) Her dreams of moving to America.
(d) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
14. How does Alicia escape the execution site?
(a) She hides in a river bank.
(b) She runs back to her hometown village.
(c) She runs to the river and hides in a hollow tree.
(d) Milek resuces her again.
15. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
(a) Sophie is like an aunt to Alicia.
(b) A close friendship.
(c) A mother-daughter type relationship.
(d) A sisterly relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alicia end up after leaving her home village?
2. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
3. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
4. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
5. Where does she stay in between trips?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)