|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(c) They are treated like other prisoners.
2. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) She is alone in her room.
(b) Four other people.
(c) Two other people.
(d) Three other people.
3. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) She gains an admirer.
(b) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(c) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(d) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
4. What causes Alicia to become reunited with her mother's cousin?
(a) A toothache.
(b) A bout of dysentery.
(c) A bad cold.
(d) A broken ankle.
5. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
6. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
(a) To see if she can reclaim what is rightful hers and her family's.
(b) She wishes to collect the money that she thinks is rightly hers.
(c) She hopes to create her own factory and wants to see how her father's was run.
(d) She wants to rememeber what life what like before the war.
7. What does Alicia realize when she arrives at her father's factory?
(a) The factory is much more prosperous than she thought.
(b) She wants the factory to remain in her family.
(c) She must reclaim the factory to feel whole again.
(d) Reclaiming the factory will not bring him back.
8. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
(a) She swears that there are no Jews living in her house.
(b) She promises to work for them for free.
(c) She threatens to kill them all.
(d) She threatens to curse them.
9. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(b) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
(c) She wants to go on her own accord.
(d) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
10. What takes Alicia to a United Nations Hospital?
(b) She begins having seizures.
11. Where was the Brecha headquarter?
12. How old is Benjamin when he and Alicia begin to visit one another?
13. How was Benjamin injured?
(a) He was shot in the arm.
(b) A bomb exploded in his bunker.
(c) Shot in the leg.
(d) A land mine blew his leg off.
14. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(b) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
(c) She will not have to struggle for food.
(d) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
15. Who else was involved in the black market?
(d) The Blieners.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are they kept in prison?
2. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
3. What was Alicia's only joy that winter?
4. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
5. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)