|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
(b) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
(c) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(d) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
2. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
(a) They are murdered by Poles for trying to take their property back.
(b) They are given their property and businesses back.
(c) They return to ruined businesses.
(d) Many Jews do not return.
3. What is Alicia struck by while she recovers?
(a) The beautiful scenery.
(b) The freedom to go anywhere she wants.
(c) She cannot decide what to do with her life.
(d) Her inability to get better quickly.
4. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
(a) She hopes to create her own factory and wants to see how her father's was run.
(b) She wants to rememeber what life what like before the war.
(c) She wishes to collect the money that she thinks is rightly hers.
(d) To see if she can reclaim what is rightful hers and her family's.
5. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
(a) The Nazis had turned their attention to the Poles.
(b) They actually do not have any sympathy for the Jews.
(c) The Ukrainians were now targeting the Jews, causing the Poles to sympathize.
(d) They realized that they should have worked harder to help the Jews.
6. Who does Alicia "adopt" and spend a large amount of time with?
(d) Danny, Bella's son.
7. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) Killed in a concentration camp.
(b) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(c) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(d) Killed in a Russian prison.
8. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
(a) She has stolen a lot of food from them.
(b) She is not Ukrainian.
(c) She is Jewish.
(d) She is hiding other Jews.
9. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
(a) She will make a lot of money.
(b) They will get her papers for travel to America.
(c) They would take care of the orphans and transport them Israel.
(d) They will transport her to Israel.
10. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her dreams of moving to America.
(b) Her work with the Brecha.
(c) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(d) Her work with the orphans.
11. Where does she stay in between trips?
(a) She stays with Sophie.
(b) With Bella.
(c) She stays with Peppa, a fellow worker.
(d) She lives with her mother's cousin.
12. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(b) She is a great house worker.
(c) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
(d) She is promised passage to Israel.
13. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
(a) Mrs. Traub.
(b) Mr. Traub.
(c) Mr. Tabb.
(d) Mrs. Tabb.
14. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
(b) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
(c) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
(d) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
15. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She does not want to leave her job.
(b) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
(c) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(d) She will miss all the people she worked with.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are they kept in prison?
2. How did Alicia and her mother survive the winter of 1943?
3. After the liberation of Buczacz who decides to return?
4. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
5. How does Bella's friend help Alicia?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)