|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(b) They are cruel people.
(c) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(d) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
2. What does Manka reveal to Alicia?
(a) All in the village knew that Alicia and her mother were Jewish.
(b) That other villagers are mad she is working in their village.
(c) A Ukrainian boy likes her very much.
(d) That she is going to turn Alicia in for being Jewish.
3. In May, what does Alicia have no difficulty finding?
(a) Work on farms.
(b) Other Jews that survived.
(c) Being a servant in the house of rich people.
(d) Family members that survived.
4. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(b) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(c) Killed in a Russian prison.
(d) Killed in a concentration camp.
5. Who else was involved in the black market?
(a) The Blieners.
6. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Having nowhere to sleep.
(b) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
(c) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(d) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
7. How long are they kept in prison?
(a) An entire year.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 8 months.
(d) 3 months.
8. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
(a) She gives away all of her money and earnings.
(b) She decides to forge papers to get them through the border.
(c) She agrees to go to prison in their place.
(d) She lets them take some of her transports to prison.
9. How are they eventually released?
(a) They bribe the Ukrainian officials into releasing them.
(b) A Ukrainian organization takes up their cause and gets them released.
(c) Because the prison is liberated.
(d) Bronia's brother collects 40,000 rubles for their release.
10. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her work with the Brecha.
(b) Her work with the orphans.
(c) Her dreams of moving to America.
(d) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
11. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
(a) Take clothes.
(b) She could come by the house to get food for her and her mother.
(c) Stay at his home, but Alicia's mother cannot stay.
(d) He does not welcome her.
12. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
(b) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
(c) She will not have to struggle for food.
(d) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
13. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
(a) She hopes that he will not spend it all.
(b) She thinks he will ask for more.
(c) She knows he will not accept her money.
(d) She wants him to hide it from others while he travels.
14. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(b) Benjamin has killed herself.
(c) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
(d) She learns that Milek has died.
15. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) Israel seems like a good idea.
(b) He wants to go to America.
(c) He hopes to go to Spain.
(d) He wants to move to Palestine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
2. What have some of the Jewish men created in Poland?
3. How does Bella's friend help Alicia?
4. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
5. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)