|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Benjamin when he and Alicia begin to visit one another?
2. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
(a) Villa Sassa Hotel.
(b) Hotel Straubinger.
(c) Coeur des Alpes.
(d) Hotel Bristol.
3. What causes Alicia to become reunited with her mother's cousin?
(a) A broken ankle.
(b) A bad cold.
(c) A bout of dysentery.
(d) A toothache.
4. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
(a) She makes up stories to tell him.
(b) Her friend Milek.
(c) Traveling away from Poland.
(d) She tells him stories of her family.
5. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) He wants to go to America.
(b) He hopes to go to Spain.
(c) He wants to move to Palestine.
(d) Israel seems like a good idea.
6. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
(a) She promises to work for them for free.
(b) She threatens to kill them all.
(c) She threatens to curse them.
(d) She swears that there are no Jews living in her house.
7. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
(a) To see the city.
(b) To see the destruction of the city.
(c) To see Bronia's family.
(d) To look for food.
8. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) She wants to go on her own accord.
(b) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(c) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
(d) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
9. Why does she decide to join this group?
(a) They blackmail her.
(b) She wants to make a difference.
(c) Her friends are working for them.
(d) She likes the work they do for other Jewish people.
10. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) They are treated like other prisoners.
(b) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(d) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
11. How were these people disguised?
(a) As salesmen.
(b) As young children.
(c) As sailors.
(d) As women.
12. What does Alicia believe of her father?
(a) Had he lived, her mother would have survived.
(b) He was a loving father.
(c) He should have fought harder to stay with her and her family.
(d) He was a strong, proud, successful Jewish man.
13. What does this person confirm for her?
(a) That she will need to go back to Buczacz.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) That the war is over.
(d) Her brother's death.
14. How long are they kept in prison?
(a) 3 months.
(b) An entire year.
(c) 8 months.
(d) 1 month.
15. How are they eventually released?
(a) Bronia's brother collects 40,000 rubles for their release.
(b) Because the prison is liberated.
(c) They bribe the Ukrainian officials into releasing them.
(d) A Ukrainian organization takes up their cause and gets them released.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
2. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
3. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
4. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
5. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)