|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
(a) Her mother is unable to get to into a bunker hiding place and is killed.
(b) Alicia wants to leave and go to Israel.
(c) The Germans broke through Russian lines and retake Buczacz.
(d) Her mother commits suicide.
2. How was Benjamin injured?
(a) A land mine blew his leg off.
(b) A bomb exploded in his bunker.
(c) Shot in the leg.
(d) He was shot in the arm.
3. What have some of the Jewish men created in Poland?
(a) Their own town for the Jews to hide in.
(b) A way to get to Israel without getting caught.
(c) Their own army.
(d) Resistance forces.
4. How does Kola's family reward Alicia for rescuing the Russians?
(a) Transportation, gifts, and money.
(b) Gifts and money.
5. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She give him a new hat.
(b) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
(c) She gives him nice clothing.
(d) She gives him food for the season.
6. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
(a) They will get her papers for travel to America.
(b) She will make a lot of money.
(c) They will transport her to Israel.
(d) They would take care of the orphans and transport them Israel.
7. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
8. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
(a) She has stolen a lot of food from them.
(b) She is hiding other Jews.
(c) She is not Ukrainian.
(d) She is Jewish.
9. What does Alicia believe of her father?
(a) He was a strong, proud, successful Jewish man.
(b) He was a loving father.
(c) Had he lived, her mother would have survived.
(d) He should have fought harder to stay with her and her family.
10. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
(a) She wants everyone to have a Jewish burial.
(b) She wanted to give her mother a proper Jewish burial.
(c) He enjoys working with children.
(d) He is attracted to Alicia.
11. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) They are treated like other prisoners.
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(c) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
12. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
(a) She tells him stories of her family.
(b) She makes up stories to tell him.
(c) Her friend Milek.
(d) Traveling away from Poland.
13. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
(a) They realized that they should have worked harder to help the Jews.
(b) The Nazis had turned their attention to the Poles.
(c) They actually do not have any sympathy for the Jews.
(d) The Ukrainians were now targeting the Jews, causing the Poles to sympathize.
14. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
(a) Fight harder to survive the winter.
(b) She feels numb.
(c) Grieve for her father again.
(d) Lie to her mother about her father's status.
15. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
(b) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
(c) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
(d) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else was involved in the black market?
2. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
3. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
4. While working with the orphans and Mr. Sharf, who does Alicia meet?
5. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)