|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
(a) She agrees to go to prison in their place.
(b) She decides to forge papers to get them through the border.
(c) She lets them take some of her transports to prison.
(d) She gives away all of her money and earnings.
2. What does Alicia believe of her father?
(a) He should have fought harder to stay with her and her family.
(b) He was a loving father.
(c) He was a strong, proud, successful Jewish man.
(d) Had he lived, her mother would have survived.
3. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
(a) She knows he will not accept her money.
(b) She thinks he will ask for more.
(c) She wants him to hide it from others while he travels.
(d) She hopes that he will not spend it all.
4. What is Alicia struck by while she recovers?
(a) The freedom to go anywhere she wants.
(b) Her inability to get better quickly.
(c) The beautiful scenery.
(d) She cannot decide what to do with her life.
5. Once back at Buczacz, why don't Jews speak to each other?
(a) They are scared to gather together.
(b) They are overcome with grief.
(c) They want to forget the war happened.
(d) They could not openly share their grief or they felt guilt about surviving.
6. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
(a) She wishes to collect the money that she thinks is rightly hers.
(b) To see if she can reclaim what is rightful hers and her family's.
(c) She wants to rememeber what life what like before the war.
(d) She hopes to create her own factory and wants to see how her father's was run.
7. How were these people disguised?
(a) As young children.
(b) As salesmen.
(c) As women.
(d) As sailors.
8. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(b) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
(c) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(d) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
9. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) Four other people.
(b) Two other people.
(c) Three other people.
(d) She is alone in her room.
10. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
(a) Her mother commits suicide.
(b) Her mother is unable to get to into a bunker hiding place and is killed.
(c) The Germans broke through Russian lines and retake Buczacz.
(d) Alicia wants to leave and go to Israel.
11. How long are they kept in prison?
(a) An entire year.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 8 months.
12. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(b) Her health is much improved.
(c) She is extremely sick.
(d) It is rapidly deteriorating.
13. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
(b) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(c) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
(d) She will not have to struggle for food.
14. How old is Benjamin when he and Alicia begin to visit one another?
15. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
(a) She is Jewish.
(b) She is hiding other Jews.
(c) She is not Ukrainian.
(d) She has stolen a lot of food from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
2. Why does she decide to join this group?
3. How are they eventually released?
4. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
5. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)