|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
(a) The Nazis had turned their attention to the Poles.
(b) They realized that they should have worked harder to help the Jews.
(c) The Ukrainians were now targeting the Jews, causing the Poles to sympathize.
(d) They actually do not have any sympathy for the Jews.
2. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
(a) A close friendship.
(b) Sophie is like an aunt to Alicia.
(c) A sisterly relationship.
(d) A mother-daughter type relationship.
3. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(b) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
(c) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(d) They are cruel people.
4. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
(a) He does not welcome her.
(b) She could come by the house to get food for her and her mother.
(c) Take clothes.
(d) Stay at his home, but Alicia's mother cannot stay.
5. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
(b) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(c) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(d) She gains an admirer.
6. Who else was involved in the black market?
(c) The Blieners.
7. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
(b) She give him a new hat.
(c) She gives him nice clothing.
(d) She gives him food for the season.
8. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
(a) She wants everyone to have a Jewish burial.
(b) He is attracted to Alicia.
(c) She wanted to give her mother a proper Jewish burial.
(d) He enjoys working with children.
9. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
(a) He is sad her mother has died.
(b) They are not as close as they once were.
(c) Their reunion was joyful.
(d) Their reunion is sad.
10. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
11. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(b) Killed in a Russian prison.
(c) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(d) Killed in a concentration camp.
12. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) He wants to go to America.
(b) He hopes to go to Spain.
(c) He wants to move to Palestine.
(d) Israel seems like a good idea.
13. In May, what does Alicia have no difficulty finding?
(a) Being a servant in the house of rich people.
(b) Family members that survived.
(c) Work on farms.
(d) Other Jews that survived.
14. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her dreams of moving to America.
(b) Her work with the Brecha.
(c) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(d) Her work with the orphans.
15. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(b) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
(c) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
(d) She wants to go on her own accord.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
2. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
3. After finding Bella and her son Danny, what does Alicia begin doing?
4. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
5. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)