|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
(a) Villa Sassa Hotel.
(b) Hotel Straubinger.
(c) Coeur des Alpes.
(d) Hotel Bristol.
2. How are they eventually released?
(a) Bronia's brother collects 40,000 rubles for their release.
(b) A Ukrainian organization takes up their cause and gets them released.
(c) They bribe the Ukrainian officials into releasing them.
(d) Because the prison is liberated.
3. Where was the Brecha headquarter?
4. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
(b) They are cruel people.
(c) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(d) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
5. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(b) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(d) They are treated like other prisoners.
6. After finding Bella and her son Danny, what does Alicia begin doing?
(a) Working in a family market.
(b) Working in Bella's resturant.
(c) Working for a rich family.
(d) Working in a POW camp.
7. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
(a) She decides to forge papers to get them through the border.
(b) She gives away all of her money and earnings.
(c) She agrees to go to prison in their place.
(d) She lets them take some of her transports to prison.
8. How were these people disguised?
(a) As young children.
(b) As sailors.
(c) As salesmen.
(d) As women.
9. How old is Benjamin when he and Alicia begin to visit one another?
10. How did Alicia and her mother survive the winter of 1943?
(a) They survived by begging.
(b) They were able to trade their clothing for food.
(c) They begged and gave away clothing.
(d) They were able to leave the cold winter in Poland.
11. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
(b) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
(c) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
(d) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
12. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
(b) She will not have to struggle for food.
(c) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(d) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
13. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(b) Her work with the Brecha.
(c) Her dreams of moving to America.
(d) Her work with the orphans.
14. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(b) Having nowhere to sleep.
(c) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
(d) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
15. Who else was involved in the black market?
(b) The Blieners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alicia believe of her father?
2. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
4. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
5. Who else does Alicia try to send a gift to?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)