|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Alicia to become reunited with her mother's cousin?
(a) A bout of dysentery.
(b) A bad cold.
(c) A toothache.
(d) A broken ankle.
2. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
(a) To look for food.
(b) To see the city.
(c) To see Bronia's family.
(d) To see the destruction of the city.
3. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
(a) Mrs. Tabb.
(b) Mrs. Traub.
(c) Mr. Traub.
(d) Mr. Tabb.
4. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She does not want to leave her job.
(b) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(c) She will miss all the people she worked with.
(d) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
5. What does this person confirm for her?
(a) That she will need to go back to Buczacz.
(b) That the war is over.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) Her brother's death.
6. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) Israel seems like a good idea.
(b) He hopes to go to Spain.
(c) He wants to go to America.
(d) He wants to move to Palestine.
7. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
(a) Her father's factory.
(b) Alicia's mother's grave.
(c) Milek's grave at the Jewish semetary.
(d) Her uncle's farm.
8. Why does she decide to join this group?
(a) She likes the work they do for other Jewish people.
(b) They blackmail her.
(c) She wants to make a difference.
(d) Her friends are working for them.
9. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(b) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(c) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
(d) She gains an admirer.
10. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
(a) Her mother commits suicide.
(b) The Germans broke through Russian lines and retake Buczacz.
(c) Alicia wants to leave and go to Israel.
(d) Her mother is unable to get to into a bunker hiding place and is killed.
11. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) Two other people.
(b) Four other people.
(c) She is alone in her room.
(d) Three other people.
12. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
(a) She tells him stories of her family.
(b) Traveling away from Poland.
(c) She makes up stories to tell him.
(d) Her friend Milek.
13. Where is Alicia sent to recuperate?
(a) A resort in the Austrian Alps.
(b) A resort in the Swiss Alps.
(c) A beach village in Southern France.
(d) The hot climate of Spain.
14. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(b) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(c) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
(d) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
15. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
(a) They return to ruined businesses.
(b) They are given their property and businesses back.
(c) They are murdered by Poles for trying to take their property back.
(d) Many Jews do not return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
2. Where does Alicia end up after leaving her home village?
3. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
4. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
5. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)