|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
(a) She tells him stories of her family.
(b) She makes up stories to tell him.
(c) Traveling away from Poland.
(d) Her friend Milek.
2. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
(a) She hopes that he will not spend it all.
(b) She knows he will not accept her money.
(c) She wants him to hide it from others while he travels.
(d) She thinks he will ask for more.
3. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) She gains an admirer.
(b) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(c) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(d) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
4. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(b) Killed in a concentration camp.
(c) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(d) Killed in a Russian prison.
5. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
(b) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(c) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
(d) She will not have to struggle for food.
6. How did Alicia and her mother survive the winter of 1943?
(a) They were able to leave the cold winter in Poland.
(b) They begged and gave away clothing.
(c) They were able to trade their clothing for food.
(d) They survived by begging.
7. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
(a) Fight harder to survive the winter.
(b) She feels numb.
(c) Grieve for her father again.
(d) Lie to her mother about her father's status.
8. Who led the transports while Alicia is being trained to be a transporter?
9. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(b) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
(c) She is promised passage to Israel.
(d) She is a great house worker.
10. What is Alicia struck by while she recovers?
(a) She cannot decide what to do with her life.
(b) Her inability to get better quickly.
(c) The freedom to go anywhere she wants.
(d) The beautiful scenery.
11. How long are they kept in prison?
(a) 8 months.
(b) 1 month.
(c) An entire year.
(d) 3 months.
12. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(b) She is extremely sick.
(c) Her health is much improved.
(d) It is rapidly deteriorating.
13. Who else does Alicia try to send a gift to?
(a) Mikel's family.
(b) Only Manka.
(c) Manka and her family.
(d) Danny and Bella.
14. On what becomes her final transport, who does Alicia have trouble moving?
(a) Five young children.
(b) Four German Jewish business men.
(c) Three Russian Jewish army officers.
(d) Two pregnant Jewish women.
15. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
(b) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(c) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(d) They are cruel people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
2. What was Alicia's only joy that winter?
3. What does this person confirm for her?
4. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
5. How was Benjamin injured?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)