|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
(b) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(c) Benjamin has killed herself.
(d) She learns that Milek has died.
2. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
(a) They realized that they should have worked harder to help the Jews.
(b) The Nazis had turned their attention to the Poles.
(c) They actually do not have any sympathy for the Jews.
(d) The Ukrainians were now targeting the Jews, causing the Poles to sympathize.
3. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
(a) Lie to her mother about her father's status.
(b) She feels numb.
(c) Grieve for her father again.
(d) Fight harder to survive the winter.
4. What is Alicia struck by while she recovers?
(a) Her inability to get better quickly.
(b) The beautiful scenery.
(c) She cannot decide what to do with her life.
(d) The freedom to go anywhere she wants.
5. Where does she stay in between trips?
(a) She stays with Sophie.
(b) She stays with Peppa, a fellow worker.
(c) With Bella.
(d) She lives with her mother's cousin.
6. Who else was involved in the black market?
(b) The Blieners.
7. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(b) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(c) She is extremely sick.
(d) Her health is much improved.
8. What does the group promise her in return for her service?
(a) They would take care of the orphans and transport them Israel.
(b) They will get her papers for travel to America.
(c) They will transport her to Israel.
(d) She will make a lot of money.
9. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
(a) He is killed by a Nazi bullet.
(b) His friend is killed by the land mine.
(c) Killed in a concentration camp.
(d) Killed in a Russian prison.
10. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
(b) Having nowhere to sleep.
(c) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(d) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
11. In May, what does Alicia have no difficulty finding?
(a) Other Jews that survived.
(b) Being a servant in the house of rich people.
(c) Family members that survived.
(d) Work on farms.
12. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
(a) She could come by the house to get food for her and her mother.
(b) Stay at his home, but Alicia's mother cannot stay.
(c) He does not welcome her.
(d) Take clothes.
13. Who else does Alicia try to send a gift to?
(a) Only Manka.
(b) Danny and Bella.
(c) Manka and her family.
(d) Mikel's family.
14. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(b) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
(c) She gains an admirer.
(d) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
15. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
(a) She hopes to create her own factory and wants to see how her father's was run.
(b) To see if she can reclaim what is rightful hers and her family's.
(c) She wishes to collect the money that she thinks is rightly hers.
(d) She wants to rememeber what life what like before the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
2. How were these people disguised?
3. How long are they kept in prison?
4. How are they eventually released?
5. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)