|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
(b) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
(c) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
(d) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
2. How are they eventually released?
(a) A Ukrainian organization takes up their cause and gets them released.
(b) Bronia's brother collects 40,000 rubles for their release.
(c) Because the prison is liberated.
(d) They bribe the Ukrainian officials into releasing them.
3. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
(a) She is hiding other Jews.
(b) She is not Ukrainian.
(c) She is Jewish.
(d) She has stolen a lot of food from them.
4. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
(a) Coeur des Alpes.
(b) Hotel Straubinger.
(c) Hotel Bristol.
(d) Villa Sassa Hotel.
5. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(b) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
(c) She wants to go on her own accord.
(d) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
6. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Benjamin has killed herself.
(b) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(c) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
(d) She learns that Milek has died.
7. Why does Alicia decide to hide the money she is giving Wujciu?
(a) She knows he will not accept her money.
(b) She thinks he will ask for more.
(c) She hopes that he will not spend it all.
(d) She wants him to hide it from others while he travels.
8. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She give him a new hat.
(b) She gives him nice clothing.
(c) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
(d) She gives him food for the season.
9. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(b) She is promised passage to Israel.
(c) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
(d) She is a great house worker.
10. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
(a) She agrees to go to prison in their place.
(b) She lets them take some of her transports to prison.
(c) She decides to forge papers to get them through the border.
(d) She gives away all of her money and earnings.
11. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She will miss all the people she worked with.
(b) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(c) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
(d) She does not want to leave her job.
12. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(d) They are treated like other prisoners.
13. How does Alicia get the young Ukrainians to leave her hide out?
(a) She threatens to curse them.
(b) She threatens to kill them all.
(c) She promises to work for them for free.
(d) She swears that there are no Jews living in her house.
14. When Alicia is finally able to see Wujciu, how do they both react?
(a) They are not as close as they once were.
(b) Their reunion is sad.
(c) Their reunion was joyful.
(d) He is sad her mother has died.
15. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) She is alone in her room.
(b) Two other people.
(c) Three other people.
(d) Four other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
2. How did Benjamin's best friend die?
3. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
4. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
5. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)