|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(b) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(c) She is extremely sick.
(d) Her health is much improved.
2. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
(b) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(c) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
(d) She wants to go on her own accord.
3. What was Alicia's only joy that winter?
(a) Her mother's thriving health.
(b) Having dinner and spending time with Manka.
(c) Spending time with the beekeeper.
(d) Taking dance lessons with Manka.
4. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
5. While on their outing, why are they arrested by two Russian officers?
(a) They were transporting people illegally.
(b) Because of Bronia's involvement in the black market.
(c) They disrespect two officers.
(d) Because they are caught stealing from the marketplace.
6. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(b) Having nowhere to sleep.
(c) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
(d) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
7. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
(a) Sophie is like an aunt to Alicia.
(b) A mother-daughter type relationship.
(c) A sisterly relationship.
(d) A close friendship.
8. What takes Alicia to a United Nations Hospital?
(c) She begins having seizures.
9. How did Alicia and her mother survive the winter of 1943?
(a) They were able to leave the cold winter in Poland.
(b) They begged and gave away clothing.
(c) They survived by begging.
(d) They were able to trade their clothing for food.
10. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
(b) She is promised passage to Israel.
(c) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(d) She is a great house worker.
11. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She gives him nice clothing.
(b) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
(c) She give him a new hat.
(d) She gives him food for the season.
12. While going to Ukrainian villages, who does Alicia find and what does he tell her about?
(a) A Jewish salesman that hired her brother for a summer.
(b) One of her childhood friends has news of her youngest brother.
(c) A Jewish tailor who tells her of the massacre of Jewish men.
(d) A Jewish banker that knew her father.
13. Why does she decide to join this group?
(a) They blackmail her.
(b) She likes the work they do for other Jewish people.
(c) Her friends are working for them.
(d) She wants to make a difference.
14. Why did Bella's friend help Alicia with this task?
(a) He enjoys working with children.
(b) She wants everyone to have a Jewish burial.
(c) He is attracted to Alicia.
(d) She wanted to give her mother a proper Jewish burial.
15. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(b) They are cruel people.
(c) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(d) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the transports while Alicia is being trained to be a transporter?
2. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
3. Who else does Alicia try to send a gift to?
4. Where does she stay in between trips?
5. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)