|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) He wants to go to America.
(b) Israel seems like a good idea.
(c) He hopes to go to Spain.
(d) He wants to move to Palestine.
2. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She is a great house worker.
(b) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(c) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
(d) She is promised passage to Israel.
3. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
(a) Alicia's mother's grave.
(b) Her uncle's farm.
(c) Milek's grave at the Jewish semetary.
(d) Her father's factory.
4. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
(a) Take clothes.
(b) He does not welcome her.
(c) Stay at his home, but Alicia's mother cannot stay.
(d) She could come by the house to get food for her and her mother.
5. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
(a) Villa Sassa Hotel.
(b) Coeur des Alpes.
(c) Hotel Bristol.
(d) Hotel Straubinger.
6. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
(a) Lie to her mother about her father's status.
(b) Grieve for her father again.
(c) Fight harder to survive the winter.
(d) She feels numb.
7. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
(a) They are murdered by Poles for trying to take their property back.
(b) They are given their property and businesses back.
(c) Many Jews do not return.
(d) They return to ruined businesses.
8. As this section continues on, what does Alicia realize about the Poles?
(a) She wishes she was not Jewish.
(b) They are being punished for their inaction during the war.
(c) Just like the Germans, no one wants the Jews around.
(d) They are cruel people.
9. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She does not want to leave her job.
(b) She will miss all the people she worked with.
(c) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(d) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
10. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(b) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
(c) They are treated like other prisoners.
11. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
(a) Mr. Tabb.
(b) Mr. Traub.
(c) Mrs. Tabb.
(d) Mrs. Traub.
12. Where is Alicia sent to recuperate?
(a) The hot climate of Spain.
(b) A resort in the Austrian Alps.
(c) A resort in the Swiss Alps.
(d) A beach village in Southern France.
13. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
(a) The Ukrainians were now targeting the Jews, causing the Poles to sympathize.
(b) They actually do not have any sympathy for the Jews.
(c) They realized that they should have worked harder to help the Jews.
(d) The Nazis had turned their attention to the Poles.
14. What was Alicia's only joy that winter?
(a) Having dinner and spending time with Manka.
(b) Taking dance lessons with Manka.
(c) Her mother's thriving health.
(d) Spending time with the beekeeper.
15. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) Her health is much improved.
(b) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(c) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(d) She is extremely sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were these people disguised?
2. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
3. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
4. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
5. What does this person confirm for her?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)