|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her work with the orphans.
(b) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(c) Her work with the Brecha.
(d) Her dreams of moving to America.
2. Where does Alicia end up after leaving her home village?
3. Why is Alicia completely devastated at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She learns that Milek has died.
(b) Benjamin has killed herself.
(c) She discovers her youngest brother died.
(d) She is told she must immediately leave because Jewish Poles are still being trageted.
4. Why does she decide to join this group?
(a) She likes the work they do for other Jewish people.
(b) She wants to make a difference.
(c) Her friends are working for them.
(d) They blackmail her.
5. Why does Alicia go to work for this person?
(a) She is a great house worker.
(b) She is promised passage to Israel.
(c) She thinks she will be appreciated by this person.
(d) She connects well with Mrs. Traub's son.
6. What type of relationship do Sophie and Alicia have?
(a) A sisterly relationship.
(b) Sophie is like an aunt to Alicia.
(c) A mother-daughter type relationship.
(d) A close friendship.
7. How did Alicia and her mother survive the winter of 1943?
(a) They were able to trade their clothing for food.
(b) They were able to leave the cold winter in Poland.
(c) They survived by begging.
(d) They begged and gave away clothing.
8. How does Alicia reward Wujciu for his kindness and putting his life at risk?
(a) She gives him food for the season.
(b) She give him a new hat.
(c) She gives him nice clothing.
(d) She saves money to give him medicine for his epilepsy.
9. Who does she meet in the marketplace?
(a) Mr. Tabb.
(b) Mr. Traub.
(c) Mrs. Tabb.
(d) Mrs. Traub.
10. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(b) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(c) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
(d) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
11. What does Alicia realize when she arrives at her father's factory?
(a) The factory is much more prosperous than she thought.
(b) She must reclaim the factory to feel whole again.
(c) She wants the factory to remain in her family.
(d) Reclaiming the factory will not bring him back.
12. For so long, what has Alicia been forced to endure concerning her sleeping quarters?
(a) Having to stay hidden while she sleeps.
(b) Overly cramped houses and rooms.
(c) Having nowhere to sleep.
(d) She was forced to sleep on the floor.
13. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
(b) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
(c) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(d) She wants to go on her own accord.
14. While on their outing, why are they arrested by two Russian officers?
(a) Because of Bronia's involvement in the black market.
(b) They disrespect two officers.
(c) They were transporting people illegally.
(d) Because they are caught stealing from the marketplace.
15. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) Her health is much improved.
(b) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(c) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
(d) She is extremely sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else was involved in the black market?
2. What does Manka reveal to Alicia?
3. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
4. How does Alicia get them out of trouble with the border police?
5. What does this news cause Alicia to do?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)