|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Alicia take the opportunity to go to America that she is offered?
(a) It does not feel like the right time to go to America.
(b) She decides she might need to go somewhere else first.
(c) She wants to go on her own accord.
(d) She wants to stay in the Ukraine.
2. Once Alicia is allowed to return to Buczacz, what is her health like?
(a) She is extremely sick.
(b) It is rapidly deteriorating.
(c) Her health is much improved.
(d) She is incredibly depressed, but not sick.
3. Why does Alicia leave the Brecha sad?
(a) She is leaving her new love interest behind.
(b) Because she has lost all of her money saved for education.
(c) She does not want to leave her job.
(d) She will miss all the people she worked with.
4. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
(b) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(c) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(d) She gains an admirer.
5. How many people does Alicia room with while recovering?
(a) Four other people.
(b) Two other people.
(c) Three other people.
(d) She is alone in her room.
6. Where is Alicia sent to recuperate?
(a) A resort in the Swiss Alps.
(b) A resort in the Austrian Alps.
(c) A beach village in Southern France.
(d) The hot climate of Spain.
7. Where does Alicia end up after leaving her home village?
8. Why did Alicia decide to go visit Benjamin?
(a) She hears of the young boy's angst over the loss of his fiance.
(b) She wants to help him with his work for Jewish orphans.
(c) He lost his family, so he is very sad.
(d) Benjamin lost his leg and needs his spirits lifted.
9. What takes Alicia to a United Nations Hospital?
(a) She begins having seizures.
10. What happens to many of the Jews who return?
(a) They are murdered by Poles for trying to take their property back.
(b) Many Jews do not return.
(c) They return to ruined businesses.
(d) They are given their property and businesses back.
11. In Chernovtsy, who does Alicia reunite with?
12. What does this person confirm for her?
(a) That she will need to go back to Buczacz.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Her brother's death.
(d) That the war is over.
13. What have some of the Jewish men created in Poland?
(a) A way to get to Israel without getting caught.
(b) Their own army.
(c) Resistance forces.
(d) Their own town for the Jews to hide in.
14. As she walks around the resort, what does she realize?
(a) She wants to spend time getting to know her roomates.
(b) She will not have to struggle for food.
(c) She is confused about what she should do for the rest of her life.
(d) She would like to meet a man to spend her life with.
15. What did Sophie want Alicia to give up?
(a) Her dreams of moving to America.
(b) Her work with the orphans.
(c) Her dreams of moving to Israel.
(d) Her work with the Brecha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event results in Alicia's mother's death?
2. When Alicia visits with Benjamin, what does she talk to him about?
3. While on their outing, why are they arrested by two Russian officers?
4. What does Manka's father welcome Alicia to do?
5. Why does Alicia decide to return to her father's factory?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)