|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Queen want to execute people?
2. What makes Alice protest in the courtroom?
3. What does the sister think Alice will do with her life?
4. What happens after Alice fights with the characters?
5. What does the Queen ask Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duchess leave for the second time?
2. Who comments on what is happening to Alice first? What does he or she say?
3. What happens suddenly at the end of Chapter 10?
4. What is the gardeners’ fate, according to the Queen? Does it come to pass?
5. What does Alice tell the Queen about the gardeners? Why is this significant?
6. Describe the structure of the court.
7. What is a Mock Turtle? A Gryphon?
8. What riddle does Alice think she can answer?
9. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
10. What does each witness contribute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gardeners attempt to paint the Queen’s white roses red. Why is this significant to the story? Is it a successful transformation?
Essay Topic 2
The Hatter discusses time at length with Alice. How does his conception of time differ from Alice’s? How is time manifest in Wonderland, more generally?
Essay Topic 3
The croquet game is one of the most famous scenes from the novel. Describe the game and Alice’s struggles with it. How is the game metaphorical?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)