|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Alice fights with the characters?
2. Why does the story make Alice’s sister happy?
3. Who is on trial?
4. Who is holding the King’s Crown?
5. What story does Alice tell the Gryphon and the Mock Turtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alice’s testimony.
2. Why does the Duchess react in the way she does to Alice?
3. Why does the Mock Turtle sing?
4. Describe the structure of the court.
5. What literary device do the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon use?
6. Why are the witnesses chosen?
7. What will happen to Alice after the story ends?
8. What is happening to Alice during the trial?
9. How does the Dormouse contribute to the tea party?
10. Describe the end of the trial and its significance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Alice was based on a real girl, an acquaintance of Lewis Carroll’s. In what way can we see the ‘real’ person’s characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
The Queen has very particular whims. Discuss her concept of justice, in terms of her execution threats and her behavior at the trial.
Essay Topic 3
The Cheshire Cat appears at various points in Alice’s journey. Discuss these moments and their significance in the story; how is the Cat characterized, and how does this inform our understanding of other characters in the novel?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)