|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice play with the Queen?
2. How many jurors are there?
3. Where does Alice go at the end of the story?
4. What evidence does the King bring against the defendant?
5. What are the animals involved in the Queen’s game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary device do the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon use?
2. What rule does the King say Alice is breaking? What issue does Alice take with this?
3. How does the Dormouse contribute to the tea party?
4. Why does the Duchess leave for the second time?
5. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
6. What is the gardeners’ fate, according to the Queen? Does it come to pass?
7. Why does the Duchess react in the way she does to Alice?
8. What is a Mock Turtle? A Gryphon?
9. What is the significance of the discussion Alice has with the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon?
10. What does the Duchess do that hurts Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 2
Alice changes sizes many times throughout the book. What is the significance of these changes, and how do they come about? What level of control does Alice have over these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Many things in Wonderland are not what they seem. What items transform in the book? Pick three meaningful transformations and discuss them in the context of Alice’s own transformation. How are they meaningful?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)