|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fish does Alice know only from eating it?
2. How does the Queen want to execute people?
3. What does Alice want to do next?
4. How does Alice fix the jury?
5. What do the characters in the Dormouse’s story draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the correct answer to the riddle?
2. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
3. Describe the end of the trial and its significance.
4. What rule does the King say Alice is breaking? What issue does Alice take with this?
5. Why are the witnesses chosen?
6. What literary device do the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon use?
7. How does the Dormouse contribute to the tea party?
8. What does the Duchess do that hurts Alice?
9. What does each witness contribute?
10. Why is the Mock Turtle different from other characters in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gardeners attempt to paint the Queen’s white roses red. Why is this significant to the story? Is it a successful transformation?
Essay Topic 2
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 3
The croquet game is one of the most famous scenes from the novel. Describe the game and Alice’s struggles with it. How is the game metaphorical?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)