|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Alice tell the Gryphon and the Mock Turtle?
2. What color does the Queen want the flowers to be?
3. What subject did the Mock Turtle study that Alice did not?
4. According to the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon, what would happen on the eleventh day of class?
5. What is unique about the Hatter’s watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alice’s testimony.
2. How do the gardeners feel about the Queen?
3. What is the gardeners’ fate, according to the Queen? Does it come to pass?
4. What literary device do the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon use?
5. Why does the Mock Turtle sing?
6. What does the Duchess do that hurts Alice?
7. Who comments on what is happening to Alice first? What does he or she say?
8. What does the Lobster Quadrille look like?
9. Why does the Duchess leave for the second time?
10. What is happening to Alice during the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters are nervous or afraid of Alice, or other things, throughout the book. What is the nature of fear, as presented by Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland? Is Alice ever afraid? What does this say about her character?
Essay Topic 2
Many different kinds of creatures appear throughout the book. What kinds of animals does Carroll use to populate Alice’s adventures in Wonderland, and what attributes does he give to each one? Can we generalize about different species and their roles? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
The White Rabbit mistakes Alice for his housemaid. Discuss this case of mistaken identity in terms of the domestic elements of the book, and in terms of Alice’s own identity. Is this an understandable mistake?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)