|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts the three at the end of the chapter?
2. What do the characters in the Dormouse’s story draw?
3. What does Alice have to do before she can enter the garden (once she finds it)?
4. What happens to the people the Queen sentences to death?
5. Who is called as the third witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Mock Turtle? A Gryphon?
2. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
3. How does the letter ‘prove’ the Knave’s guilt?
4. Describe the end of the trial and its significance.
5. How does the Dormouse contribute to the tea party?
6. What is the significance of the discussion Alice has with the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon?
7. How do the gardeners feel about the Queen?
8. What does Alice tell the Queen about the gardeners? Why is this significant?
9. Describe what actually happens to those sentenced to beheading by the Queen.
10. What does the Lobster Quadrille look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Queen has very particular whims. Discuss her concept of justice, in terms of her execution threats and her behavior at the trial.
Essay Topic 2
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters are nervous or afraid of Alice, or other things, throughout the book. What is the nature of fear, as presented by Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland? Is Alice ever afraid? What does this say about her character?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)