|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to teach the Mock Turtle?
2. What earlier character reappears in the Queen’s procession?
3. What do the Duchess and Alice do together?
4. What happens to Alice during the trial?
5. Who takes Alice to see the Mock Turtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the correct answer to the riddle?
2. What is a Mock Turtle? A Gryphon?
3. Describe what actually happens to those sentenced to beheading by the Queen.
4. What will happen to Alice after the story ends?
5. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
6. Why is the Mock Turtle different from other characters in the novel?
7. What does Alice tell the Queen about the gardeners? Why is this significant?
8. Describe the structure of the court.
9. What is the gardeners’ fate, according to the Queen? Does it come to pass?
10. Describe the end of the trial and its significance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, all of the characters present turn into cards. Other than the King, Queen, and Knave, how might this apply to the other characters? What is the broader metaphorical significance of this change?
Essay Topic 2
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 3
The croquet game is one of the most famous scenes from the novel. Describe the game and Alice’s struggles with it. How is the game metaphorical?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)