|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person being tried for?
2. What do the characters turn into when Alice protests?
3. What word that Alice doesn’t understand formed part of the Mock Turtle’s curriculum?
4. What character from earlier in the book appears among the jurors?
5. What has Alice done to make it difficult to befriend the person that the Hatter recommends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Mock Turtle? A Gryphon?
2. What does each witness contribute?
3. What is the significance of the discussion Alice has with the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon?
4. What riddle does Alice think she can answer?
5. How do the gardeners feel about the Queen?
6. How does the letter ‘prove’ the Knave’s guilt?
7. What will happen to Alice after the story ends?
8. What is happening to Alice during the trial?
9. Alice thinks about the jury in metaphorical terms. What metaphor does she use in Chapter 12?
10. How does the Dormouse contribute to the tea party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice’s journey through Wonderland is rarely, if ever, prosaic and every-day. In what way might the book be read as a metaphor for real life? Are there aspects of the novel that refuse such a reading?
Essay Topic 2
Alice changes sizes many times throughout the book. What is the significance of these changes, and how do they come about? What level of control does Alice have over these changes?
Essay Topic 3
The gardeners attempt to paint the Queen’s white roses red. Why is this significant to the story? Is it a successful transformation?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)