|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice associate with the sea?
2. What is wrong with what the Cook is making?
3. With whom does Alice argue on the bank?
4. What is the Duchess holding when Alice arrives?
5. What does the bird think Alice wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wins the Caucus Race?
2. Why does the Mouse leave?
3. Why is the Cook important?
4. What is the significance of pepper in Chapter 6?
5. Why does the caterpillar find Alice’s desires offensive?
6. What has disappeared after Alice’s time at the seaside, and how is this significant?
7. What is the significance of what happens to Alice in the Rabbit’s house?
8. Why might the Rabbit have mistaken Alice for somebody else?
9. Why does the Mouse tell his long story? Does he achieve his goals?
10. Why does everyone else leave the seaside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duchess and the Queen are both noble characters by title, but not temperament. Compare and contrast the two characters, highlighting their significance in the story.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, all of the characters present turn into cards. Other than the King, Queen, and Knave, how might this apply to the other characters? What is the broader metaphorical significance of this change?
Essay Topic 3
Alice finds the episode with the baby particularly disturbing. What happens to the baby? Discuss its transformation in tandem with Alice’s.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)