|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Alice argue on the bank?
2. What does Alice talk about that scares the creatures?
3. What does Alice find strange about the Cheshire Cat?
4. What does the caterpillar repeatedly demand of Alice?
5. Why is the Queen’s footman at the Duchess’s house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of what happens to Alice in the Rabbit’s house?
2. Why is the Cook important?
3. Why might the White Rabbit be the first character Alice sees?
4. Whose house does Alice see after talking with the caterpillar?
5. Why does the Mouse leave?
6. Why does everyone else leave the seaside?
7. How does Alice describe what she wants to the caterpillar?
8. Why does the Mouse tell his long story? Does he achieve his goals?
9. Why does the White Rabbit reappear in Chapter 2?
10. How is the baby characterized in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many things in Wonderland are not what they seem. What items transform in the book? Pick three meaningful transformations and discuss them in the context of Alice’s own transformation. How are they meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 3
The White Rabbit mistakes Alice for his housemaid. Discuss this case of mistaken identity in terms of the domestic elements of the book, and in terms of Alice’s own identity. Is this an understandable mistake?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)