|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall would Alice like to be when the caterpillar asks her?
2. What is written on the Rabbit’s door?
3. What language does Alice try to speak with the first creature she meets?
4. What animal does the baby eventually become?
5. What does Alice think about on her way down the rabbit hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alice’s main concern in Chapter 2?
2. How does the caterpillar help Alice?
3. Why does the Mouse tell his long story? Does he achieve his goals?
4. Why does Alice have a hard time answering the caterpillar?
5. What is the significance of the curtain?
6. Whose house does Alice see after talking with the caterpillar?
7. How does Alice think of her body changing size?
8. How can Alice’s changes in size be read metaphorically?
9. How is the baby characterized in Chapter 6?
10. Why is Alice’s interaction with the Mouse complicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The White Rabbit appears in most key scenes in the book. Why is this the case, and how might the White Rabbit’s character function as a metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Alice finds the episode with the baby particularly disturbing. What happens to the baby? Discuss its transformation in tandem with Alice’s.
Essay Topic 3
Many things in Wonderland are not what they seem. What items transform in the book? Pick three meaningful transformations and discuss them in the context of Alice’s own transformation. How are they meaningful?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)