|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bird thinks Alice is a ________________.
2. What is the prize the animal-winner(s) receive?
3. What does Alice check before drinking the liquid?
4. What is the Duchess holding when Alice arrives?
5. Why is the Queen’s footman at the Duchess’s house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Caucus Race.
2. What is so important about the riverbank setting?
3. Why is Alice’s interaction with the Mouse complicated?
4. Why does the White Rabbit reappear in Chapter 2?
5. Why might the Rabbit have mistaken Alice for somebody else?
6. Why does Alice think about Dinah?
7. Why does the Mouse tell his long story? Does he achieve his goals?
8. Whose house does Alice see after talking with the caterpillar?
9. Who comes back after the others leave the seaside? Why?
10. What is the significance of what happens to Alice in the Rabbit’s house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gardeners attempt to paint the Queen’s white roses red. Why is this significant to the story? Is it a successful transformation?
Essay Topic 2
Alice’s cat, Dinah, never appears as a character herself in the book, but is often mentioned by Alice. What is Dinah’s significance, to the story and to Alice? What does she mean for other characters, and what does this indicate?
Essay Topic 3
Alice’s journey through Wonderland is rarely, if ever, prosaic and every-day. In what way might the book be read as a metaphor for real life? Are there aspects of the novel that refuse such a reading?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)