|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice think about on her way down the rabbit hole?
2. Why does Alice decide to go where she goes next?
3. Who reappears at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Whose house does Alice see once she is back down from the trees?
5. Who finally lets Alice in the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the White Rabbit be the first character Alice sees?
2. Why is the Cook important?
3. Why does the White Rabbit reappear in Chapter 2?
4. How is the baby characterized in Chapter 6?
5. Why does the Mouse tell his long story? Does he achieve his goals?
6. Why might the Rabbit have mistaken Alice for somebody else?
7. How does Alice feel about the Duchess in Chapter 6?
8. What will the mushroom do for Alice? Why is this important?
9. How does Alice describe what she wants to the caterpillar?
10. What is the significance of the curtain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duchess and the Queen are both noble characters by title, but not temperament. Compare and contrast the two characters, highlighting their significance in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Alice was based on a real girl, an acquaintance of Lewis Carroll’s. In what way can we see the ‘real’ person’s characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Alice’s journey through Wonderland is rarely, if ever, prosaic and every-day. In what way might the book be read as a metaphor for real life? Are there aspects of the novel that refuse such a reading?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)