|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does Alice see once she is back down from the trees?
2. What is wrong with what the Cook is making?
3. Why does Alice decide to go where she goes next?
4. How does the White Rabbit address Alice?
5. What is the rabbit looking at when Alice first sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the White Rabbit be the first character Alice sees?
2. Who wins the Caucus Race?
3. What does Alice look for on the Drink Me bottle, and why?
4. What will the mushroom do for Alice? Why is this important?
5. What is so important about the riverbank setting?
6. What is the significance of the curtain?
7. Why does Alice have a hard time answering the caterpillar?
8. Why does the caterpillar find Alice’s desires offensive?
9. What has disappeared after Alice’s time at the seaside, and how is this significant?
10. Who is Alice afraid of in the Rabbit’s home? What does she do because of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice finds the episode with the baby particularly disturbing. What happens to the baby? Discuss its transformation in tandem with Alice’s.
Essay Topic 2
The croquet game is one of the most famous scenes from the novel. Describe the game and Alice’s struggles with it. How is the game metaphorical?
Essay Topic 3
Many different kinds of creatures appear throughout the book. What kinds of animals does Carroll use to populate Alice’s adventures in Wonderland, and what attributes does he give to each one? Can we generalize about different species and their roles? If so, in what way?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)