|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Jordan bring Grace in Chapter 8 that she quickly eats?
2. What does Nancy tell Grace to do for dinner that Grace does not want to do?
3. What does Grace’s lawyer think is the reason Grace never gives Dr. Jordan a straight answer?
4. In what kind of clothes was Mary Whitney buried?
5. What does Grace say to McDermott when he says he is going to kill Nancy in bed at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan that McDermott told her and what does she offer as a reason she had not told Nancy?
2. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about a chicken for dinner at Kinnear’s?
3. Where does Nancy ask Grace to go with her and what does she lend her for the occasion?
4. What does Grace say about Nancy and about McDermott after she has been at Kinnear’s a little while?
5. What does Jerome Dupont ask Dr. Jordan and what does Grace realize about Dupont?
6. Why is Grace worried about coming to the end of her story?
7. What is Grace’s response to McDermott’s assertion about Nancy’s death?
8. What does Grace say McDermott says about what he thinks Nancy and Kinnear deserve?
9. What does Grace say about Nancy Montgomery’s appearance when Grace meets Nancy?
10. How does Jeremiah get Grace away from the implement dealer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Alias Grace is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Margaret Atwood. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Atwood's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Atwood's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Alias Grace help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Alias Grace? Why or why not. Use examples from Alias Grace and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)