|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace say is the reason Mr. Verringer is so proper?
2. Why is Mrs. Humphreys crying when Dr. Jordan returns from Grace’s hypnotism?
3. What does Grace say to McDermott when he says he is going to kill Nancy in bed at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How does Dupont demonstrate the fact that Grace is in a trance?
5. What does Dr. Jordan bring with him when he talks to Grace shortly before she is hypnotized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her birthday and what does Jeremiah ask her a few days after her birthday?
2. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about a chicken for dinner at Kinnear’s?
3. What does Grace say about Nancy and about McDermott after she has been at Kinnear’s a little while?
4. What is Grace’s response to McDermott’s assertion about Nancy’s death?
5. What does Jerome Dupont ask Dr. Jordan and what does Grace realize about Dupont?
6. What does Nancy tell McDermott when she is tired of his attitude and what does McDermott then tell Grace?
7. What does Rev. Verringer suggest Dr. Jordan talk about with the Tuesday Circle and why does Verringer suggest this?
8. What does Grace remember after she wakes with Dr. Dupont and how does Dr. Jordan feel about his involvement with Grace?
9. What does Dr. Jordan say McDermott said about the murders and what is Grace’s response?
10. What does Nancy say about her situation when she offers Grace a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alias Grace belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Grace seems to make several bad decisions in her life which lead to her ending up in prison.
Discuss, in depth, two decisions Grace makes which you think might have changed the course of her life if she had made a different choice. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Grace and Mary Whitney. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast
the characters of Mary Whitney and Nancy Montgomery. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)