|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace do in the morning at the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. What is the name of Grace’s lawyer?
3. What does Dr. Jordan think the reason is that prisons are so dreary?
4. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her dream in the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What does Dr. Jordan ask Grace after Dupont hypnotizes her that makes Grace lash out at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeremiah get Grace away from the implement dealer?
2. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her birthday and what does Jeremiah ask her a few days after her birthday?
3. What does Grace say McDermott says about what he thinks Nancy and Kinnear deserve?
4. What does Grace remember after she wakes with Dr. Dupont and how does Dr. Jordan feel about his involvement with Grace?
5. What ultimately happens to Grace?
6. What does Nancy tell McDermott when she is tired of his attitude and what does McDermott then tell Grace?
7. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about a chicken for dinner at Kinnear’s?
8. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan that McDermott told her and what does she offer as a reason she had not told Nancy?
9. Where does Dr. Jordan travel after hearing the end of Grace’s story and what does he do there?
10. What does Rev. Verringer suggest Dr. Jordan talk about with the Tuesday Circle and why does Verringer suggest this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace’s mother dies on the way to Canada. Grace’s father is alcoholic and abusive.
Discuss how Grace’s family life helped play a role in landing her in prison. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Alias Grace. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Atwood chooses the symbols she does? Consider symbols such as the quilts Grace sews, the food items Dr. Jordan brings to Grace and the scrapbook the governor’s wife keeps.
Essay Topic 3
Upon her release from prison, the historical Grace was required to fill out a questionnaire, which still exists. The questionnaire asks the immediate cause of the crime for which Grace went to prison. She writes as an answer that it was from working in a house which also had a villain working there.
Discuss the above statement in terms of what Grace claims happened when Nancy and Thomas Kinnear were killed and in terms of what James McDermott says happened. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)