|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace say Nancy told her the day of the murders?
2. When does Nancy tell McDermott he has to leave?
3. Why does Nancy suggest she and Grace sleep in Mr. Kinnear’s bedroom?
4. What kind of a stock investment does Dr. Jordan’s mother talk about in her letter?
5. On what does Grace sleep in the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Jordan say McDermott said about the murders and what is Grace’s response?
2. What does Grace’s lawyer tell Dr. Jordan and what conclusion does Dr. Jordan come to after visiting the Kinnear house and graves?
3. What does Grace remember after she wakes with Dr. Dupont and how does Dr. Jordan feel about his involvement with Grace?
4. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan that McDermott told her and what does she offer as a reason she had not told Nancy?
5. What does Jamie Walsh say at Grace’s trial that hurts her chances of acquittal?
6. Where does Dr. Jordan travel after hearing the end of Grace’s story and what does he do there?
7. Where does Nancy ask Grace to go with her and what does she lend her for the occasion?
8. What does Grace say about Nancy and about McDermott after she has been at Kinnear’s a little while?
9. What does Grace say is how Kinnear gets killed?
10. Why is Dr. Jordan upset when he leaves the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Margaret Atwood. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Atwood's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Atwood's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Upon her release from prison, the historical Grace was required to fill out a questionnaire, which still exists. The questionnaire asks the immediate cause of the crime for which Grace went to prison. She writes as an answer that it was from working in a house which also had a villain working there.
Discuss the above statement in terms of what Grace claims happened when Nancy and Thomas Kinnear were killed and in terms of what James McDermott says happened. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Alias Grace seems to be an indictment of what happens to women who live in a traditional, patriarchal society.
Discuss how a reader could come to the above conclusion after reading Alias Grace. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)