|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the governor’s oldest daughter live?
2. What does Mary think Grace should do instead of being a servant?
3. What kind of gloves would Grace like to have?
4. What does Grace tell Jordan about her parents?
5. How many siblings does Grace say she has?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mrs. Burt introduce Grace and what position does that woman hold? How does the woman help Grace?
2. How does Dr. Jordan help Mrs. Humphreys’ situation?
3. How does Jordan describe Grace in his letter at the end of the Chapter?
4. What does the visitor to Grace’s cell give her and what does Grace do about it?
5. Who narrates Chapter 1 and what does she say about her present circumstances as to where she is, how old she is and what year it is?
6. What does Grace say she started doing in the asylum and what was the result of these actions?
7. What does Mrs. Humphreys do at the opening of Chapter 6 and what is Dr. Jordan’s response?
8. What does Grace talk about counting at the beginning of the Chapter and why does she change the way she counts?
9. Who comes to Grace’s cell, why and how does he reassure her?
10. Describe the scene where Grace dreams the peddler has something to give her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think Alias Grace would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think Alias Grace fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grace seems to make several bad decisions in her life which lead to her ending up in prison.
Discuss, in depth, two decisions Grace makes which you think might have changed the course of her life if she had made a different choice. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Alias Grace seems to be an indictment of what happens to women who live in a traditional, patriarchal society.
Discuss how a reader could come to the above conclusion after reading Alias Grace. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)