|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Grace go to prison?
2. What nationality was Grace’s father?
3. What does the penitentiary consider to be the only remedy for the criminals there?
4. At what lake is Dr. Jordan looking in Chapter 4?
5. What would Mary do sometimes when the sheets were hung in the inside drying room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Grace’s cell, why and how does he reassure her?
2. How does Dr. Jordan help Mrs. Humphreys’ situation?
3. What does Grace talk about counting at the beginning of the Chapter and why does she change the way she counts?
4. How are hysterics defined at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What are the circumstances of Mrs. Humphreys’s life that are so difficult?
6. What is the poem in Chapter 2 about?
7. What is the sentencing for Grace and McDermott?
8. What happens to Grace’s mother and how does her father take care of them?
9. Describe the scene where Grace dreams the peddler has something to give her?
10. What first happens when a doctor comes into the parlor at the governor’s house and why does it happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alias Grace belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Alias Grace. Trace and analyze one major theme of Alias Grace. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Alias Grace is? Explain your response.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)