|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what newspaper is the clip at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. Why is Reverend Verringer paying Dr. Jordan to work with Grace?
3. Why does a doctor want to measure the heads of criminals?
4. What did Grace’s lawyer tell the court about her?
5. What does Jordan see as the main difference between European and North American servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is bothering Jordan in Chapter 4?
2. What document starts Chapter 2?
3. What first happens when a doctor comes into the parlor at the governor’s house and why does it happen?
4. What does Grace say is in the governor’s wife’s scrapbook and what does Grace say about some of it?
5. What does the visitor to Grace’s cell give her and what does Grace do about it?
6. What happens at the Parkinsons that changes both Mary and Grace’s circumstances?
7. What is the sentencing for Grace and McDermott?
8. What is the poem in Chapter 2 about?
9. How does Dr. Jordan help Mrs. Humphreys’ situation?
10. How are hysterics defined at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is never any conclusion in the book as to Grace’s guilt or innocence.
Do you think Grace was innocent or guilty of the crime for which she was imprisoned? Why or why not? Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Alias Grace, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Alias Grace. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Atwood chooses the symbols she does? Consider symbols such as the quilts Grace sews, the food items Dr. Jordan brings to Grace and the scrapbook the governor’s wife keeps.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)