|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what name does Grace register at the hotel?
2. Where does Grace say it was that she stopped sharing her thoughts?
3. What did they do with McDermott’s head after he was hanged?
4. How much of her first month wages did Grace give her father?
5. How is Jordan feeling about his research in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Grace dreams the peddler has something to give her?
2. What is happening with Grace in the first page of Chapter 1?
3. What is bothering Jordan in Chapter 4?
4. Who narrates Chapter 1 and what does she say about her present circumstances as to where she is, how old she is and what year it is?
5. What does Grace say about her behavior where she is living?
6. How does Dr. Jordan help Mrs. Humphreys’ situation?
7. What does Grace talk about counting at the beginning of the Chapter and why does she change the way she counts?
8. What are the circumstances of Mrs. Humphreys’s life that are so difficult?
9. Where does Jordan visit Grace in Chapter 4 and what does he do with her?
10. What does Grace say she started doing in the asylum and what was the result of these actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Margaret Atwood. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Atwood's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Atwood's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Alias Grace is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Grace seems to make several bad decisions in her life which lead to her ending up in prison.
Discuss, in depth, two decisions Grace makes which you think might have changed the course of her life if she had made a different choice. Use examples from Alias Grace to support your response.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)