|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Grace depressed on her birthday in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels that Nancy hates her.
(b) She would like to be married.
(c) She wishes to visit her family but they are too far away.
(d) She feels completely alone.
2. What does Jeremiah say to Grace a few days after her birthday?
(a) She needs to find a different job.
(b) She should leave with him.
(c) He has a special pair of stockings for her.
(d) She looks younger than she is.
3. What does Sally tell Grace when Grace asks her about going to work at the Kinnears?
(a) It sounds like a great idea.
(b) It is probably not a good position for a young girl.
(c) It is very far from town.
(d) Mr. Kinnear is not a gentleman.
4. How does Dupont demonstrate the fact that Grace is in a trance?
(a) He has Grace stretch her arm out and tells her it is steel, then leans on it.
(b) He very quickly touches her finger with a candle flame.
(c) He has Grace push on the wall until her hands begin to actually sink into the wall.
(d) He pricks her with a pin.
5. Why does Grace think Nancy is afraid Thomas will begin to like Grace?
(a) Nancy is pregnant.
(b) Nancy does not think that.
(c) Grace is smarter than Nancy.
(d) Grace is younger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace give as the reason she cannot have sex with McDermott in Kinnear’s bed?
2. What does McDermott tell Grace when he is standing in her room after the murders?
3. What does Grace tell herself about the murders?
4. Where is Grace’s bedroom located at the Kinnear house?
5. What do Grace and Jamie do on her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Nancy ask Grace to go with her and what does she lend her for the occasion?
2. What is Grace’s response to McDermott’s assertion about Nancy’s death?
3. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about a chicken for dinner at Kinnear’s?
4. What does Grace say McDermott says about what he thinks Nancy and Kinnear deserve?
5. How does Jeremiah get Grace away from the implement dealer?
6. Why is Dr. Jordan having a difficult time at his rented room?
7. Why is Dr. Jordan upset when he leaves the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Where does Dr. Jordan travel after hearing the end of Grace’s story and what does he do there?
9. Where does McDermott kill Nancy and what does Grace say he says to Grace?
10. What does Jerome Dupont ask Dr. Jordan and what does Grace realize about Dupont?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)