|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dr. Jordan going to Toronto?
(a) To bring back a hypnotist.
(b) To check on the family business.
(c) To meet with Grace’s lawyer and visit the Kinnear house.
(d) To post a letter to his mother.
2. What happens one night that changes Dr. Jordan and Mrs. Humphreys’s relationship?
(a) Dr. Jordan gets involved with a bar maid.
(b) Her husband returns.
(c) She crawls in his bed one night.
(d) She hires another maid.
3. What is Jeremiah/Dr. Dupont doing at the end of the book?
(a) He is teaching at a university in America.
(b) Working in a hospital, hypnotizing people to help with pain control.
(c) He is a showman in a circus.
(d) He is back to being a peddler.
4. What does Grace say to McDermott when he is sitting on the front porch staring vacantly?
(a) Do you need to sleep?
(b) What are you thinking about?
(c) Wake up.
(d) Be a man.
5. Where does Grace go to work when she leaves the Parkinsons?
(a) To work for Mr. Dixon.
(b) To work at the Broad Street Hotel.
(c) To work for Mrs. McDonald.
(d) To work at the bank.
6. Why does Grace call McDermott a monkey?
(a) He was swinging on the rafters in the barn.
(b) He was running along the top of a fence.
(c) He was eating a banana.
(d) He climbed an apple tree very quickly.
7. What does Dr. Jordan bring Grace in Chapter 8 that she quickly eats?
(a) A radish.
(b) A carrot.
(c) A pear.
(d) An apple.
8. With whom is Dr. Dupont staying near the prison?
(a) He is staying with his aunt.
(b) He is staying with Mrs. Quinnell.
(c) He is staying at the governor’s house.
(d) He is renting a room at the inn.
9. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her dream in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) She saw red flowers.
(b) She heard McDermott crying.
(c) She saw Mary Whitney.
(d) She says she does not remember her dream.
10. Why does Nancy suggest she and Grace sleep in Mr. Kinnear’s bedroom?
(a) To throw off McDermott if he comes looking for her.
(b) Nancy does not suggest they sleep in Kinnear’s room.
(c) It is hot and his bed is larger.
(d) It is a full moon and it shines right in Nancy’s window.
11. What interrupts the hypnosis session with Grace?
(a) Grace fainting.
(b) The governor coming into his office.
(c) Loud knocking of indistinct origin.
(d) A loud alarm bell at the prison.
12. What does McDermott tell Grace when he is standing in her room after the murders?
(a) Nancy is not dead yet.
(b) They must leave immediately.
(c) She must keep her part of the bargain.
(d) He is going to kill her also.
13. About what is Grace concerned as far as the story she is telling Dr. Jordan?
(a) She is not concerned about her story.
(b) Coming to the part about the murders.
(c) She is afraid that he will tell her secrets.
(d) Worrying about whether she will remember too much.
14. When does Nancy tell McDermott he has to leave?
(a) At the end of the month.
(b) In five days, at the end of his pay period.
(d) At the end of the week.
15. What does Grace say when the governor’s wife calls her by name?
(a) She tells her to shut up.
(b) She refuses to speak again.
(c) She says she is not Grace.
(d) She tells the governor’s wife she did not kill anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dupont demonstrate the fact that Grace is in a trance?
2. What kind of musical instrument does Jamie Walsh play?
3. What kind of a stock investment does Dr. Jordan’s mother talk about in her letter?
4. What does Jeremiah say to Grace a few days after her birthday?
5. What does Grace do in the morning at the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 8?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)