|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Jordan’s surgical instructor in school say is necessary for a good surgeon to have?
(a) A good bedside manner.
(b) A very strong ego.
(c) A certain detachment from the patients.
(d) Long, slender fingers.
2. What kind of musical instrument does Jamie Walsh play?
3. From what does Grace have a scar on her breast?
(a) A fall when she was a child.
(b) Fighting McDermott.
(c) Being clawed by a cat.
(d) Falling on a spiked railing.
4. At what location is Grace hypnotized?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At Mrs. Quennell’s house.
(c) At the governor’s house.
(d) At the prison, in the governor’s office.
5. What does Grace do with the clothes she had been wearing when the murders take place?
(a) Leaves them in Nancy’s room.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Buries them.
(d) Washes them.
6. Where does Grace find herself after she faints when McDermott points a gun at her?
(a) In her own bed.
(b) In Nancy’s room.
(c) On the kitchen floor.
(d) On the ground in front of the house.
7. What does Nancy tell Grace to do for dinner that Grace does not want to do?
(a) Pluck the feathers from a pheasant.
(b) Cook collard greens.
(c) Clean some fish.
(d) Kill a chicken.
8. Why won’t Dr. Jordan be able to get a shot of whiskey at Verringer’s house?
(a) He is a teetotaler.
(b) Verringer cannot afford whiskey.
(c) He is Baptist.
(d) His wife is an alcoholic so he does not keep it in the house.
9. Why is Mrs. Humphreys crying when Dr. Jordan returns from Grace’s hypnotism?
(a) Her husband is returning.
(b) Her husband has been killed.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) The bank is foreclosing on her house.
10. What book mentioned has a pair of eyes in it from a woman named Nancy?
(a) Don Quixote.
(b) Great Expectations.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) Crime and Punishment.
11. What does Dr. Jordan bring with him when he talks to Grace shortly before she is hypnotized?
(a) Another apple.
(b) A Nathaniel Hawthorne book.
(c) A banana.
(d) A silver candlestick.
12. What does Dr. Jordan think the reason is that prisons are so dreary?
(a) To save money on lighting.
(b) The type of people who work in prisons like dreary places.
(c) The criminals are considered evil and should be kept in the dark.
(d) It is part of the punishment.
13. Why is Grace depressed on her birthday in Chapter 8?
(a) She feels that Nancy hates her.
(b) She would like to be married.
(c) She wishes to visit her family but they are too far away.
(d) She feels completely alone.
14. What kind of a stock investment does Dr. Jordan’s mother talk about in her letter?
(a) Sewing machines.
(b) Automatic rifles.
(c) Hot air balloons.
15. What does Samantha make that Dr. Jordan loves?
(a) Peach pies.
(b) Roast pheasant.
(c) Strawberry preserves.
(d) Blueberry muffins.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nancy tell McDermott he has to leave?
2. With what task does Mr. Kinnear help Grace that Nancy sees?
3. What does Grace do in the morning at the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What does Grace say is the reason Mr. Verringer is so proper?
5. Why does Nancy lend Grace a dress in Chapter 8?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)