|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kenneth think, in retrospect, about Grace wearing Nancy’s clothing at the trial?
(a) He should have found out if Nancy gave the dress to Grace.
(b) He should not have allowed her to do it.
(c) It was probably a sign of complete innocence or insanity.
(d) Grace did not wear Nancy’s clothing at the trial.
2. Why does Annie Little pinch Grace at breakfast?
(a) She likes her.
(b) Grace pinched her first.
(c) She is trying to make Grace scream and get in trouble.
(d) She does not pinch Grace.
3. What does Dr. Jordan fantasize about on the train ride back to Kingston?
(a) Grace as an older woman.
(b) Running away to Europe.
(c) Marrying Grace.
(d) Grace and Mary Whitney playing.
4. What does Jeremiah say to Grace a few days after her birthday?
(a) He has a special pair of stockings for her.
(b) She looks younger than she is.
(c) She should leave with him.
(d) She needs to find a different job.
5. What is the first area of study in mental illness Dr. Jordan talks about on Tuesday?
(a) The external sources.
(b) The spiritual aspects.
(c) What he calls the material.
(d) What he calls the intellectual.
6. What does Grace say about her relationship with McDermott?
(a) She says she let him kiss her but she had him wrapped around her finger.
(b) She says she never allowed James to touch or kiss her.
(c) She refuses to answer the question.
(d) She says James raped her.
7. What does Dr. Jordan ask Grace after Dupont hypnotizes her that makes Grace lash out at him?
(a) If she had sex with McDermott.
(b) If she helped kill Nancy.
(c) If she wanted to sleep with her lawyer.
(d) If she asked McDermott to kill Nancy.
8. What does McDermott tell Jamie is the reason that McDermott has the shotgun in his hands?
(a) He thought he saw a vagabond.
(b) He is shooting birds.
(c) He is going squirrel hunting.
(d) He is cleaning it for Mr. Kinnear.
9. What does Kenneth’s law firm tell him about arguing Grace and McDermott’s trial?
(a) Do not make this a graceless loss.
(b) A win is always possible but not probable.
(c) Try to win for the woman, let the man go.
(d) Lose as elegantly as possible.
10. Why is Grace depressed on her birthday in Chapter 8?
(a) She would like to be married.
(b) She feels that Nancy hates her.
(c) She wishes to visit her family but they are too far away.
(d) She feels completely alone.
11. What does Grace give as the reason she cannot have sex with McDermott in Kinnear’s bed?
(a) She has slept in the bed with Nancy.
(b) Not with Kinnear dead in the cellar.
(c) It has blood on it.
(d) It is too soft.
12. What kind of drink does Dr. Jordan keep in the armoire in his room?
(c) An herbal concoction for health.
13. What does Grace say is the reason Mr. Verringer is so proper?
(a) He is a clergyman.
(b) He is English.
(c) He is in the Canadian parliament.
(d) He is noble born.
14. What does Dr. Jordan’s surgical instructor in school say is necessary for a good surgeon to have?
(a) Long, slender fingers.
(b) A very strong ego.
(c) A certain detachment from the patients.
(d) A good bedside manner.
15. What does Grace say Nancy told her the day of the murders?
(a) Nancy does not say anything to Grace on the day of the murders.
(b) That Thomas Kinnear does not like Grace.
(c) That McDermott was staying.
(d) That Grace had to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nancy tell McDermott he has to leave?
2. In what graveyard that Dr. Jordan visits is Mary Whitney buried?
3. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her dream in the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. Why does Grace go along with McDermott?
5. What does Grace do in the morning at the governor’s house at the beginning of Chapter 8?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)