|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grace say the peddler in her dream has of hers?
(a) A knife.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) A hand.
(d) A shawl.
2. What does Grace say is the reason she can be frank with Jordan?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) She will never leave prison.
(c) She was never a lady and her reputation is shot.
(d) He is not there to seduce her.
3. What does Jordan think Dora might do on purpose?
(a) Overcook his eggs.
(b) Track mud into his room.
(c) Come into his room when he is dressing.
(d) Dirty his shirts.
4. What kind of quilt is Grace sewing for Lydia?
(a) Horse Hoofs.
(b) Tree of Heaven.
(c) Wedding Rings.
(d) Pandora’s Box.
5. How many siblings does Grace say she has?
6. From what newspaper is the clip at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Toronto Mirror.
(b) Ontario Sentinel.
(c) Victorian Times.
(d) New York Times.
7. Why does Grace think it is bad when a doctor is around?
(a) They do not care about poor people.
(b) They have terrible tasting medicine.
(c) They measure her head.
(d) There is always death around a doctor.
8. What does Lydia do when Jordan comes to the governor’s home?
(a) Nothing, she is not there.
(b) Flirts with him.
(c) Asks him if he is interested in Grace as more than just a patient.
(d) Introduces him as a distant cousin to friends.
9. Where does Grace say it was that she stopped sharing her thoughts?
(a) At home when she was a young child.
(b) When working at Kinnear’s house.
(c) At the prison.
(d) At the asylum.
10. What happens to Mrs. Humphreys in Dr. Jordan’s room at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) She trips over his boots.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) She faints.
11. What does the penitentiary consider to be the only remedy for the criminals there?
(a) Thrashing and religion.
(b) Keeping them isolated.
(c) Good nutrition and the Bible.
(d) Bad food and a lot of work.
12. From what day is Grace now counting her days?
(a) From the first day she was brought to the governor’s house.
(b) From the first day she has met with Dr. Jordan.
(c) She does not count her days.
(d) From the first day in Canada.
13. At what lake is Dr. Jordan looking in Chapter 4?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) Lake Michigan.
(c) Lake Ontario.
(d) Lake Superior.
14. What color are Grace’s eyes?
15. With whom does Grace’s father find lodging when they arrive in Canada?
(a) Mrs. Weslley.
(b) Mr. Lambert.
(c) Mr. Macon.
(d) Mrs. Burt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what name does Grace register at the hotel?
2. Who first comes to the door after the murders?
3. What did Grace’s lawyer tell the court about her?
4. Where does the governor’s oldest daughter live?
5. What pattern would Grace use if she made a quilt for herself?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)