|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what lake is Dr. Jordan looking in Chapter 4?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) Lake Ontario.
(c) Lake Superior.
(d) Lake Michigan.
2. What did they do with McDermott’s head after he was hanged?
(b) Stuck it on a pike outside the jail.
(c) Made a plaster cast of it.
(d) Buried it with the body.
3. Why are the inmates given little meat to eat?
(a) The doctors say women should not eat much meat because it is a manly food.
(b) The cook steals the meat.
(c) The doctors say it stimulates the criminal part of the brain.
(d) Meat is too expensive.
4. What does Jordan think Dora might do on purpose?
(a) Track mud into his room.
(b) Dirty his shirts.
(c) Overcook his eggs.
(d) Come into his room when he is dressing.
5. What does Grace’s mother say when she sees three crows on the ship they are taking to Canada?
(a) They will leave when the albatross comes.
(b) It is good luck.
(c) It is bad luck and means death.
(d) Someone must be feeding them.
6. Where does Simon Jordan sneak in his house when he is a boy?
(a) His parents’ bedroom.
(b) The servants’ quarters.
(c) The stables.
(d) The kitchen.
7. Why is Reverend Verringer paying Dr. Jordan to work with Grace?
(a) His Bishop told him to do that.
(b) His family was friends with Mary Whitney.
(c) Grace is a distant relative.
(d) He is fighting for Grace to be released from prison.
8. What does Grace say about her confession?
(a) She will not discuss her confession.
(b) It was what her lawyer told her to say.
(c) She made it completely honest.
(d) It was beaten out of her.
9. At what hotel do McDermott and Grace stop when fleeing Canada?
(a) The Harvest Bell.
(c) The Hyatt.
(d) The Lewiston Hotel.
10. How does Mary die?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) She drowns in the river.
(c) She falls down the stairs.
(d) From a botched abortion.
11. What does George do when Mary becomes pregnant?
(a) He has her fired.
(b) He accuses her of sleeping with his brother.
(c) He does not follow through on his marriage proposal.
(d) He marries her.
12. What does McDermott do first to Nancy according to the poem?
(a) Throw her in the cellar.
(b) Break her neck.
(c) Put a knife through her heart.
(d) Strike her on the head with an axe.
13. What does Grace tell Jordan she will finish that day when she meets with him at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The cloak she is making her sister.
(b) Cleaning the downstairs of the house.
(c) The quilt square in her hand.
(d) Her fifteenth year in prison.
14. In what kind of manufacturing does Dr. Jordan’s mother wish his to invest?
(a) Hot air balloons.
(c) Textile mills.
(d) Sewing machines.
15. From what day is Grace now counting her days?
(a) She does not count her days.
(b) From the first day she was brought to the governor’s house.
(c) From the first day in Canada.
(d) From the first day she has met with Dr. Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grace work at the prison?
2. Why doesn’t Mr. George return to college after Christmas?
3. What does Mary think Grace should do instead of being a servant?
4. What does the poem say is how Grace convinced McDermott to murder?
5. What book does the governor’s wife have that tells of fashion in the United States?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)