|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George do when Mary becomes pregnant?
(a) He has her fired.
(b) He does not follow through on his marriage proposal.
(c) He marries her.
(d) He accuses her of sleeping with his brother.
2. Who does Grace tell Dr. Jordan Mary Whitney is?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her grandmother, still in Ireland.
(c) Her sister.
(d) The made up name she gave at the tavern.
3. Why does Grace’s family leave for Canada?
(a) Her father was hired by a company building over there.
(b) Her father was going to be arrested for murder.
(c) Her uncle Roy said he would no longer help support the family.
(d) Her father wanted to own his own land.
4. What does Jordan ask the prison to do to make circumstances conducive to his research efforts?
(a) Feed her more food than normal.
(b) Let her come and go as she pleases.
(c) Allow her paper and pen.
(d) Keep her in a steady routine.
5. Why doesn’t Mr. George return to college after Christmas?
(a) He is going to take over the family business.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) He is finished with school.
(d) He has been expelled.
6. What does Grace think of the stories written about her?
(a) She has not seen any stories written about her.
(b) They are false.
(c) They are true.
(d) They are funny.
7. Who is Mrs. Parkinson’s housekeeper to whom Grace is introduced?
(a) Mrs. Alderman.
(b) Mrs. Honey.
(c) Mrs. Traker.
(d) Mrs. Riddle.
8. What kind of meeting is at the governor’s house on Tuesdays?
(a) The women’s bridge club.
(b) The charity works meeting.
(c) The Woman Question meeting.
(d) The women’s quilting circle.
9. At what hotel do McDermott and Grace stop when fleeing Canada?
(a) The Lewiston Hotel.
(c) The Hyatt.
(d) The Harvest Bell.
10. What does Jordan place in front of Grace at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) An orange.
(b) A potato.
(c) A book.
(d) A hat.
11. At what age does Grace go to prison?
12. How much does Grace tell Jordan about her dream of the previous night?
(a) All of it.
(b) None of it.
(c) The beginning.
(d) The end.
13. What does McDermott do first to Nancy according to the poem?
(a) Throw her in the cellar.
(b) Strike her on the head with an axe.
(c) Put a knife through her heart.
(d) Break her neck.
14. Why are the inmates given little meat to eat?
(a) The doctors say women should not eat much meat because it is a manly food.
(b) The doctors say it stimulates the criminal part of the brain.
(c) The cook steals the meat.
(d) Meat is too expensive.
15. From what day is Grace now counting her days?
(a) From the first day she has met with Dr. Jordan.
(b) She does not count her days.
(c) From the first day she was brought to the governor’s house.
(d) From the first day in Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace think McDermott might as well have been when the doctors got hold of his dead body?
2. At what lake is Dr. Jordan looking in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mary tell Grace is the reason the servants use the back stairs?
4. What does Grace tell Jordan she will finish that day when she meets with him at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does Dr. Workman tell Dr. Jordan is most important in building an asylum?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)