|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nancy tell Grace to do for dinner that Grace does not want to do?
(a) Kill a chicken.
(b) Pluck the feathers from a pheasant.
(c) Clean some fish.
(d) Cook collard greens.
2. Why are the inmates given little meat to eat?
(a) Meat is too expensive.
(b) The cook steals the meat.
(c) The doctors say it stimulates the criminal part of the brain.
(d) The doctors say women should not eat much meat because it is a manly food.
3. What does Jordan think he needs to do before he can open a private asylum?
(a) Come up with a great discovery in his field.
(b) Build up his father’s mills.
(c) Sell off the family’s manor and lands.
(d) Marry a wealthy woman.
4. What does Grace tell Dr. Jordan about her dream in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) She saw Mary Whitney.
(b) She saw red flowers.
(c) She says she does not remember her dream.
(d) She heard McDermott crying.
5. What does Dr. Jordan’s surgical instructor in school say is necessary for a good surgeon to have?
(a) Long, slender fingers.
(b) A certain detachment from the patients.
(c) A very strong ego.
(d) A good bedside manner.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Grace’s father find lodging when they arrive in Canada?
2. Why does Nancy suggest she and Grace sleep in Mr. Kinnear’s bedroom?
3. What position did James McDermott hold at the Kinnear home?
4. What did Grace’s lawyer tell the court about her?
5. Why is Dr. Jordan uncertain about interviewing Mrs. Moodie?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)