Chapters 1 - 2
• Grace narrates the first chapter of Alias Grace and it begins with a recurring dream she has. It is 1851 and she is 24 years old.
• Grace is in prison and is a model prisoner. The end of the dream ends the chapter.
• In Chapter 2, a clip from the Toronto Mirror newspaper from 1843 is shown with a statement from the Punishment Book from the Kingston Penitentiary.
• The rest of Chapter 2 is a long poem about Grace Marks and James McDermott. McDermott has been hanged for the murders and Grace sent to life in prison.
• Grace works in the house of the penitentiary’s governor. Grace describes the governor’s family. She says the governor’s wife keeps a scrapbook of stories of criminals.
• Grace says most of the stories in the scrapbook are lies. Grace mentions her friend Mary Whitney. When a doctor comes into the room...
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)