|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What groups of people live in Susha?
2. Why does the The Ottoman Empire declare a Holy War?
3. In Tiflis, Nino asks Ali if he loves ___________.
4. How does Ali know Count Nelikov is off to war?
5. What are the Ashouks known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
2. How does Kotshi feel about war?
3. What happens when Arslan leaves Ali with paper and pens?
4. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
5. Why does Ali's father have such faith in Persia in Chapter 22?
6. What advice does Safar Khan give Ali about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. What happens when Ali visits Tiflis?
8. What happens to Nino after her kidnapping?
9. What history of the Ashouks does the narrator give?
10. What does Shusha look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe at least three cultural practices that are illustrated in this novel. How do these practices help to create and define "Ali and Nino"?
Essay Topic 2The biggest themes of this novel relate to politics and government, yet the book is subtitled "a love story." How is "Ali and Nino" a love story?
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast Ali and Nino's lives in two different locations. Consider how these settings impact the characters.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)