|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fights with Russia over Baku?
2. Where is Susha located?
3. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
5. What is the second wish Ali asks of his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shusha look like?
2. How does Ali feel about his Asian heritage?
3. How does Ali feel about being married in exile?
4. How does the war begin?
5. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
6. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
7. What happens during the meeting of the oil princes in Chapter 16?
8. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
9. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
10. Why does Ali switch daggers with Iljas Beg at his graduation party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use dialogue to develop the characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)