|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kotshi feel about war?
2. In Chapter 13, where does Ali imagine kidnapping Nino to?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Ali fear has corrupted Nino?
4. Where does Ali believe the Turks will enter Baku?
5. What stories does Ali hear about Karabagh while waiting for Nino?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
2. How does Ali feel about his Asian heritage?
3. How does Ali compare his courtship to Nino to the Asian way of courting?
4. How does Ali feel about staying at his uncle's palace in Shimran?
5. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
6. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
7. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
8. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
9. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
10. How is Nino treated at Ali's uncle's palace in Shimran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "Ali and Nino" explore the conflicts between the rich and the poor? What message does the author seem to deliver?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
Essay Topic 3
How is Baku a character in the novel as well as a setting?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)