|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Ali do at the Well of Pechapür?
2. What groups of people live in Susha?
3. What subject does Ali struggle in?
4. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What does the narrator say is wrong with Russian justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
2. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
3. What does Ali do after using his second wish?
4. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
5. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
6. What happens to Arslan Aga when he fights against the Russians invading Baku?
7. What does Nino's father lecture Ali about when they discuss marriage?
8. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
9. How does the war begin?
10. Why does Ali switch daggers with Iljas Beg at his graduation party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in this novel? What impacts this role?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nino impact the development of this novel? Consider the way she drives the plot, defines and changes other characters, and interacts with the major themes.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)