|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prince Dadiani invite Ali and Nino to his castle for the first time?
2. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
3. Where does Ali believe the Turks will enter Baku?
4. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
5. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
2. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
3. What happens when Ali and Nino meet at Governor's Garden?
4. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
5. What happens when Ali visits Tiflis?
6. How is Nino treated at Ali's uncle's palace in Shimran?
7. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
8. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
9. How do the Kipianis react to Ali's proposal of marriage to Nino?
10. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on politics and revolution? Explain how the author's word choice helps to develop these ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how parent/child relationships drive the characters in this novel. Consider relationships filled with conflict as well as respect.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)