|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ali describe the Passion Play of Holy Hussein?
2. Where is Susha located?
3. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
4. What nationality is Nachararyan?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Ali do at the Well of Pechapür?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
2. How does Kotshi feel about war?
3. What are the drums of Hussein?
4. What does Ali do after using his second wish?
5. How does Nino like her married life to Ali in exile?
6. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
7. What does a professor challenge his students with in Chapter 1?
8. How does Ali feel about being married in exile?
9. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
10. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Baku a character in the novel as well as a setting?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
Essay Topic 3
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)