|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
2. What does Safar Khan tell Ali is wrong with Nino when Ali says he wants to marry her?
3. What is Mehmed Haidar studying to be?
4. What do Russians call Persian singing?
5. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nino like her married life to Ali in exile?
2. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
3. What is Iljas Beg's graduation party like?
4. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
5. What happens when Ali and Nino meet at Governor's Garden?
6. What does Ali tell his father about war in Chapter 9?
7. What does Ali do after using his second wish?
8. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
9. How does Ali react to the birth of his daughter?
10. How does Kotshi feel about war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how parent/child relationships drive the characters in this novel. Consider relationships filled with conflict as well as respect.
Essay Topic 2
Explore what traits make characters successful in "Ali and Nino." How is success defined in contrast to failure?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)