|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kotshi feel about war?
2. Who does Nachararyan say is his cultural enemy?
3. When does Nino's father take Ali to Tiflis to meet the family?
4. What does the narrator say is wrong with Russian justice?
5. What does Ali say Baku is like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dim Mehmed Haidar feel about the war?
2. How do the Kipianis react to Ali's proposal of marriage to Nino?
3. How does Ali feel about staying at his uncle's palace in Shimran?
4. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What happens when Arslan leaves Ali with paper and pens?
6. In Chapter 25, how does Ali feel about Jahja?
7. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
8. What are the drums of Hussein?
9. How does the war begin?
10. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least three cultural practices that are illustrated in this novel. How do these practices help to create and define "Ali and Nino"?
Essay Topic 2
How are Ali's views on love defined? Consider all the forces that affect Ali's opinions and beliefs about love.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)