|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
2. What are the Ashouks known for?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Ali say is the only reason he could go to war?
4. What is Mehmed Haidar studying to be?
5. How does Ali say he feels about using cutlery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dim Mehmed Haidar feel about the war?
2. How does Ali react to the birth of his daughter?
3. While in Tiflis, what makes Nino worry about her future with Ali?
4. What happens to Nino after her kidnapping?
5. In Chapter 22, how does Ali's father respond when Ali says Asia has fallen?
6. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
7. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
8. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
9. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
10. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in this novel? What impacts this role?
Essay Topic 2
How is Baku a character in the novel as well as a setting?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nino impact the development of this novel? Consider the way she drives the plot, defines and changes other characters, and interacts with the major themes.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)