|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ali say he feels about using cutlery?
2. In Tiflis, Nino asks Ali if he loves ___________.
3. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
4. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
5. Why does Ali's uncle visit from Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
2. What happens to Nino after her kidnapping?
3. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
4. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
5. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
6. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
7. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
8. What does Nachararyan discuss with Ali and Nino after they attend an opera?
9. What does Ali do after using his second wish?
10. While in Tiflis, what makes Nino worry about her future with Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
Essay Topic 2
How does "Ali and Nino" explore the conflicts between the rich and the poor? What message does the author seem to deliver?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use dialogue to develop the characters in this novel?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)