|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
2. What is the second wish Ali asks of his father?
3. What is Mehmed Haidar studying to be?
4. What subject does Ali struggle in?
5. What does Ali switch with Iljas Beg before he dances with Nino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ali react to the birth of his daughter?
2. What does a professor challenge his students with in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Ali have problems in school?
4. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
5. What happens to Nino after her kidnapping?
6. How does Ali respond to news of his transfer to Paris?
7. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
8. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
9. How does Dim Mehmed Haidar feel about the war?
10. What happens when Ali and Nino meet at Governor's Garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least three cultural practices that are illustrated in this novel. How do these practices help to create and define "Ali and Nino"?
Essay Topic 3
How is Baku a character in the novel as well as a setting?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)