|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ali wait in Shusha for Nino before hearing tales about Karabagh?
2. Where is the Russian boys' school?
3. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
4. What does Ali say about the veil when discussing marriage with Nino's father?
5. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali do when he hears about the Russians entering into new sovereign Azerbaijan?
2. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
3. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
4. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
5. What does Ali do after killing Nachararyan?
6. What does Nino's father lecture Ali about when they discuss marriage?
7. How does Nino like her married life to Ali in exile?
8. What does Shusha look like?
9. What happens after Azerbaijan's sovereignty is recognized?
10. How does Ali feel about staying at his uncle's palace in Shimran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on politics and revolution? Explain how the author's word choice helps to develop these ideas.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)