|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Ashouks known for?
2. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
3. Why does Ali tell his teacher about Leprosarium?
4. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
5. How many descendants of the "Horse of Karabagh" are living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ali respond to news of his transfer to Paris?
2. How does Nachararyan feel about the war after the Czar fires the commander of his army?
3. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
4. What does Ali do when he hears about the Russians entering into new sovereign Azerbaijan?
5. While in Tiflis, what makes Nino worry about her future with Ali?
6. How does Ali feel when he rides the train to Baku in Chapter 8?
7. How do the Kipianis react to Ali's proposal of marriage to Nino?
8. What does Shusha look like?
9. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
10. How does Ali feel about his friends after the Holy War is declared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how parent/child relationships drive the characters in this novel. Consider relationships filled with conflict as well as respect.
Essay Topic 3
How does "Ali and Nino" explore the conflicts between the rich and the poor? What message does the author seem to deliver?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)