|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Ali to a sulfur bath in Tiflis?
2. Where is the Russian boys' school?
3. Why does Ali's uncle visit from Iran?
4. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
5. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war begin?
2. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
3. What history of the Ashouks does the narrator give?
4. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
5. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
6. What happens during the meeting of the oil princes in Chapter 16?
7. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
8. How does Ali feel about his friends after the Holy War is declared?
9. Why does Ali give Arslan Aga alcohol in Chapter 19?
10. Why does Ali switch daggers with Iljas Beg at his graduation party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The biggest themes of this novel relate to politics and government, yet the book is subtitled "a love story." How is "Ali and Nino" a love story?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the daydreams of the characters play in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is education a theme in "Ali and Nino"? How does education impact the plot and characters of this novel?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)