|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Safar Khan tell Ali is wrong with Nino when Ali says he wants to marry her?
2. When Ali visits Seyd Mustafa in Chapter 11, what is Seyd upset about?
3. How does Ali describe his house in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 11, who does Seyd describe as being pagans?
5. How does Ali describe his kiss with Nino in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
2. What does Ali do after killing Nachararyan?
3. How does Ali feel about his friends after the Holy War is declared?
4. Why does Ali have problems in school?
5. In Chapter 22, how does Ali's father respond when Ali says Asia has fallen?
6. What does Ali tell his father about war in Chapter 9?
7. What does Ali do when he hears about the Russians entering into new sovereign Azerbaijan?
8. What does the Caliph's plenipotentiary do in Chapter 27 to impact the war?
9. What history of the Ashouks does the narrator give?
10. Why does Ali's father have such faith in Persia in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is education a theme in "Ali and Nino"? How does education impact the plot and characters of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nino impact the development of this novel? Consider the way she drives the plot, defines and changes other characters, and interacts with the major themes.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)