|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Prophet Elias appoint the Ashouks?
2. What groups of people live in Susha?
3. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
4. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
5. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ali visits Tiflis?
2. How does Ali respond to news of his transfer to Paris?
3. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
4. What happens when Arslan leaves Ali with paper and pens?
5. What does Ali do after using his second wish?
6. In Chapter 15, where do Ali and Nino decide to live?
7. How does Ali feel about his friends after the Holy War is declared?
8. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
9. In Chapter 25, how does Ali feel about Jahja?
10. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
Essay Topic 2
How is education a theme in "Ali and Nino"? How does education impact the plot and characters of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is Baku a character in the novel as well as a setting?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)