|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the war starts, what happens to the train stations?
2. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
3. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali he must name his first born?
5. What does Ali switch with Iljas Beg before he dances with Nino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Seyd Mustafa convince Ali that the Koran is on his side for marrying Nino?
2. Why does Ali switch daggers with Iljas Beg at his graduation party?
3. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's uncle describe Persia?
4. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
5. How does Ali respond to news of his transfer to Paris?
6. What does Ali do after killing Nachararyan?
7. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
8. What does the Caliph's plenipotentiary do in Chapter 27 to impact the war?
9. How does Ali feel when he rides the train to Baku in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the conflict between Eastern and Western societies as it is presented in "Ali and Nino." What is the author's commentary on this conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Explore what traits make characters successful in "Ali and Nino." How is success defined in contrast to failure?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in this novel? What impacts this role?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)