|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nino's father take Ali to Tiflis to meet the family?
2. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
3. How does Ali know Count Nelikov is off to war?
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali is wrong with Nino when Ali says he wants to marry her?
5. How does Iljas Beg feel about the war in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ali feel about his friends after the Holy War is declared?
2. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
3. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What is Iljas Beg's graduation party like?
5. How does Ali react to the birth of his daughter?
6. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
7. What are the drums of Hussein?
8. How does the war begin?
9. Why does Ali have problems in school?
10. How does Dim Mehmed Haidar feel about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Ali and Nino" several myths and stories are told. How does this technique affect the novel? Consider the impact on the plot, characters, and reader's response.
Essay Topic 2
How does Nino impact the development of this novel? Consider the way she drives the plot, defines and changes other characters, and interacts with the major themes.
Essay Topic 3
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)