|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declares the war that wakes Ali from his dreams of marrying Nino?
2. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
3. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
4. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
5. What is Susha best known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
2. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
3. In Chapter 15, where do Ali and Nino decide to live?
4. What happens to Arslan Aga when he fights against the Russians invading Baku?
5. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
6. How does Ali compare his courtship to Nino to the Asian way of courting?
7. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
8. What happens when Ali visits Tiflis?
9. What does Nino's father lecture Ali about when they discuss marriage?
10. What happens when Ali catches Nachararyan kidnapping Nino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on politics and revolution? Explain how the author's word choice helps to develop these ideas.
Essay Topic 2
How are conflicts among religions discussed in this novel? How is religion a theme in "Ali and Nino"? What purpose does this theme serve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three cultural practices that are illustrated in this novel. How do these practices help to create and define "Ali and Nino"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)