|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Kipianis want Ali to wait for before proposing to Nino?
2. Who is rumored to be heading to Tiflis because of the war?
3. When did the Prophet Elias appoint the Ashouks?
4. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
5. Where is Susha located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the drums of Hussein?
2. Why does Ali's father have such faith in Persia in Chapter 22?
3. How does Ali compare his courtship to Nino to the Asian way of courting?
4. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
5. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
6. What history of the Ashouks does the narrator give?
7. What does a professor challenge his students with in Chapter 1?
8. How does Nachararyan feel about the war after the Czar fires the commander of his army?
9. What happens after Azerbaijan's sovereignty is recognized?
10. How does Ali feel about staying at his uncle's palace in Shimran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Ali's views on love defined? Consider all the forces that affect Ali's opinions and beliefs about love.
Essay Topic 2
What role do the daydreams of the characters play in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ali and Nino's lives in two different locations. Consider how these settings impact the characters.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)