|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
2. What does Ali say Baku is like?
3. During the war, where do people say Nachararyan transfers his money?
4. What color is the "Horse of Karabagh"?
5. Why is Ali happy about Europe's influence on Nino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dim Mehmed Haidar feel about the war?
2. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
3. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
4. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
5. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
6. What history of the Ashouks does the narrator give?
7. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
8. In Chapter 22, how does Ali's father respond when Ali says Asia has fallen?
9. While in Tiflis, what makes Nino worry about her future with Ali?
10. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use dialogue to develop the characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in this novel? What impacts this role?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on politics and revolution? Explain how the author's word choice helps to develop these ideas.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)