|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mehmed Haidar studying to be?
2. Where is Susha located?
3. How does Ali know Count Nelikov is off to war?
4. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
5. Who fights with Russia over Baku?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali do after killing Nachararyan?
2. What happens during the meeting of the oil princes in Chapter 16?
3. How does Kotshi feel about war?
4. How does Ali compare his courtship to Nino to the Asian way of courting?
5. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
6. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
7. In Chapter 25, how does Ali feel about Jahja?
8. How does Ali feel when he rides the train to Baku in Chapter 8?
9. What happens when Arslan leaves Ali with paper and pens?
10. What is Ali and Nino's trip to Shimran like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Ali a symbol for Azerbaijan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least three cultural practices that are illustrated in this novel. How do these practices help to create and define "Ali and Nino"?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the daydreams of the characters play in this novel?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)