|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali travel to the Kipianis in Chapter 9?
(a) To make money.
(b) To find Nino.
(c) To hide from his father.
(d) To protect his reputation.
2. What does Nino tell Dadiani about trees?
(a) Ali is afraid of them.
(b) They house the gods.
(c) She hates them.
(d) Her father harvests them.
3. In traditional Asian courtship, what do boys do when they like a girl?
(a) Ignore their feelings.
(b) Write the girl a note.
(c) Tell the girl's father how they feel.
(d) Have their family tell the girl's family.
4. What does Nachararyan describe as a trinity, while driving to City Club?
(a) Muslims, Buddists and Hindus.
(b) Money, power, and influence.
(c) Three great Caucasians.
(d) Three European countries.
5. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ali go home in Chapter 7?
2. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
3. Who does Nachararyan say is his cultural enemy?
4. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Ali do at the Well of Pechapür?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ali feel about staying at his uncle's palace in Shimran?
2. What is Iljas Beg's graduation party like?
3. What happens after Azerbaijan's sovereignty is recognized?
4. How does Nachararyan feel about the war after the Czar fires the commander of his army?
5. While in Tiflis, what makes Nino worry about her future with Ali?
6. How does Kotshi feel about war?
7. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
8. How do the Kipianis react to Ali's proposal of marriage to Nino?
9. What does Nachararyan discuss with Ali and Nino after they attend an opera?
10. How does Ali feel about his Asian heritage?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)