|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In traditional Asian courtship, what do boys do when they like a girl?
(a) Ignore their feelings.
(b) Have their family tell the girl's family.
(c) Tell the girl's father how they feel.
(d) Write the girl a note.
2. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They must agree with their husband.
(b) They are fickle.
(c) They are uneducated.
(d) They don't have souls.
3. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him good shopping.
(b) To introduce him to family.
(c) To show him its ruin.
(d) To show him its greatness.
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali is wrong with Nino when Ali says he wants to marry her?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her heritage.
(c) Her hips.
(d) Her faith.
5. How does Ali describe the Passion Play of Holy Hussein?
Short Answer Questions
1. What groups of people live in Susha?
2. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
3. Why does Prince Dadiani invite Ali and Nino to his castle for the first time?
4. What do the Kipianis want Ali to wait for before proposing to Nino?
5. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kotshi feel about war?
2. In Chapter 6, what reason does Nino give Ali for why they can't marry?
3. What advice does Safar Khan give Ali about marriage in Chapter 12?
4. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
5. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
6. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
7. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
8. What happens during the meeting of the oil princes in Chapter 16?
9. How does the war begin?
10. After Baku becomes a fully western city, what advice does Ali's father give Ali?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)