|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali go home in Chapter 7?
(a) He is hiding from the war.
(b) He wants to protect Nino.
(c) His father sends a telegram.
(d) His uncle tells him to go home.
2. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
(a) A professor.
(b) A father.
(c) A fellow student.
(d) A principal.
3. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
(a) Acted as kind guests.
(b) Torn it apart.
(c) Ignored their pleas for help.
(d) Made it better.
4. How does Ali say he feels about using cutlery?
(a) He doesn't care.
(b) He knows he isn't good at it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He thinks it is civilized.
5. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
(a) The trees.
(b) The sea.
(c) The desert.
(d) The mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nachararyan tell Ali about kidnapping Nino?
2. When Ali visits Seyd Mustafa in Chapter 11, what is Seyd upset about?
3. Why does Ali tell his teacher about Leprosarium?
4. Where is the Russian boys' school?
5. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ali do after killing Nachararyan?
2. What happens after Azerbaijan's sovereignty is recognized?
3. What happens when Nino finds Ali in exile?
4. Why does Ali give Arslan Aga alcohol in Chapter 19?
5. Why does Ali leave the Bailov Garrison at the end of Chapter 12?
6. What advice does Safar Khan give Ali about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. How does Ali feel during his first diplomatic reception?
8. What happens to Nino after her kidnapping?
9. What does Ali say about trees while visiting Dadiani?
10. What does Ali do after the Armenians join the Russians in demanding a Muslim surrender?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)