|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
(a) Nino's father.
(b) Ali's father.
(d) Nino's mother.
2. What does Nachararyan describe as a trinity, while driving to City Club?
(a) Three great Caucasians.
(b) Muslims, Buddists and Hindus.
(c) Money, power, and influence.
(d) Three European countries.
3. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him its ruin.
(b) To introduce him to family.
(c) To show him good shopping.
(d) To show him its greatness.
4. What does Nino tell Dadiani about trees?
(a) Ali is afraid of them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) Her father harvests them.
(d) They house the gods.
5. What does Ali say Nino looks like at Iljas Beg's graduation party?
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) A princess.
(d) A beggar girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
2. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
3. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali he must name his first born?
5. How long does Ali wait in Shusha for Nino before hearing tales about Karabagh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a professor challenge his students with in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Nino eager to leave Ali's uncle's palace and return to Baku?
3. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
4. How does Ali feel when he rides the train to Baku in Chapter 8?
5. How does the war begin?
6. What does Nino's father lecture Ali about when they discuss marriage?
7. What happens after Azerbaijan's sovereignty is recognized?
8. What has happened to Baku when Ali and Nino return after being in exile?
9. How do the Kipianis react to Ali's proposal of marriage to Nino?
10. How does Ali compare his courtship to Nino to the Asian way of courting?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)