|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dim Mehmed Haidar want to build in place of derricks?
(a) A church.
(b) A new city-center.
(c) A garden.
(d) A mosque.
2. How does Nino feel about Ali beating and cutting himself in the streets?
(a) She says she is proud of him.
(b) She says she hates him.
(c) She says she doesn't understand.
(d) She says he is stupid.
3. What season is it when Baku is considered to be liberated?
4. Where does Ali end up stabbing Nachararyan?
(a) In the leg.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the heart.
(d) In the back.
5. How does the former British Consul from Persia in Chapter 28 feel about Azerbaijan?
(a) The country is ready for independence.
(b) The country will become the next great empire.
(c) The country is on the road for economic failure.
(d) The country will probably be taken over.
6. How does the narrator describe the Abreks?
7. What does Iljas Beg arm Ali with after hearing that Nino has been kidnapped?
(a) A gun and a Koran.
(b) A dagger and a gun.
(c) A sword and a dagger.
(d) A sword and a Koran.
8. What is the purpose of the proposed Empire of Turan?
(a) To make Islam more peaceful.
(b) To tax Christians.
(c) To help Baku become European.
(d) To unite people of Turkish blood.
9. What do Ali and Nino have to pass through to get to Shimran?
(a) A group of thieves.
(b) Christian workers.
(c) Vast desert.
(d) A jungle.
10. Where does Nino want to move instead of Baku after marrying Ali?
11. In Chapter 24, what does Ali's uncle say about England?
(a) They appreciate Persia.
(b) They are too busy to worry about Persia.
(c) They are fools.
(d) They will conquer Persia.
12. How does Ali learn that his job is transferring him to Paris?
(a) He is sent a train ticket in the mail.
(b) Nino hears it on the street.
(c) He gets a call from his boss.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
13. Where does Nino say she plans to go when she is exiled for her mistake of leaving with Nachararyan?
14. What does Iljas Beg say Ali represents in his death?
(a) The Republic.
(c) The world.
15. What is the first thing Ali and Nino do when they arrive at Shimran?
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps Ali earn his new position as an attache after Baku is liberated?
2. Why is Ali angry when his father discusses legends with the boatman in Chapter 22?
3. What does Nachararyan run through after Ali catches him kidnapping Nino?
4. After British troops leave Azerbaijan, who does Ali worry about coming in the country?
5. Why can't Nino go out on the streets in Shimran?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)