|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
(a) To honor his dead friends.
(b) To celebrate his freedom.
(c) To respect his ancestors.
(d) To show his faith.
2. Why is Nachararyan able to land the first punch while fighting Ali over kidnapping Nino?
(a) He moves faster.
(b) He has longer arms.
(c) He is a trained boxer.
(d) Ali wasn't watching.
3. Who delivers news of Russians in the newly independent Baku?
(c) Iljas Beg.
(d) Safar Khan.
4. In Chapter 16, what decision do the oil princes make at the end of their meeting?
(a) To join the war.
(b) To raise their prices.
(c) To hide half their oil.
(d) To wait.
5. Why do some Persians believe Persia doesn't need an army?
(a) They need to spend there money in other ways.
(b) They have other countries protect them.
(c) They never fight.
(d) They have divine protection.
6. What does Jahja want to do in Chapter 25 after meeting with Ali?
(a) Find a new job.
(b) Call an exorcist.
(c) Help Ali move.
(d) Write a novel.
7. What does Iljas Beg arm Ali with after hearing that Nino has been kidnapped?
(a) A gun and a Koran.
(b) A sword and a Koran.
(c) A sword and a dagger.
(d) A dagger and a gun.
8. Why can't Nino go out on the streets in Shimran?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has too much work to do.
(c) She looks like a thief
(d) She doesn't wear a veil.
9. Whose idea is it to travel to Gandsha during the first summer of Azerbaijan's independence?
(b) Iljas Beg's.
(c) Safar Khan's.
10. Who marries Ali and Nino?
(a) Ali does it himself.
(b) A village priest.
(c) A Mullah.
(d) Seyd Mustafa.
11. How does Ali's father describe Ali's early childhood years?
12. In Chapter 24, what does Ali's uncle say about England?
(a) They are too busy to worry about Persia.
(b) They will conquer Persia.
(c) They appreciate Persia.
(d) They are fools.
13. After marrying Ali, how does Nino feel about Baku?
(a) She wants to move back.
(b) She does not want to move back.
(c) She wants to burn the village.
(d) She wants to visit.
14. How does the narrator describe the Abreks?
15. How does Ali spend the first few weeks of Tamar's life?
(a) He spends them caring for Nino.
(b) He spends them at work.
(c) He spends them on vacation.
(d) He spends them caring for Tamar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nino feel about Ali beating and cutting himself in the streets?
2. What season is it when Baku is considered to be liberated?
3. What does Feth Ali Khan declare about Azerbaijan?
4. What does Ali do to the lizard he catches in Chapter 19?
5. Why does Ali doubt some of the things Arslan tells him?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)