|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nachararyan say he is saving Nino from when he kidnaps her?
(b) A Muslim.
(c) A loss of faith.
(d) A life of poverty.
2. In Chapter 25, why does Ali mark a map with flags?
(a) To represent the developments of the war.
(b) To show where he wants to travel.
(c) To show where he has traveled.
(d) To represent his friendships.
3. How does Ali feel when his male guests touch Nino's hands in Chapter 28?
4. What criticism does Ali's father give Nino as a wife?
(a) She is unfaithful.
(b) She is a bad housekeeper.
(c) She is a bad cook.
(d) She is ugly.
5. Why can't Nino go out on the streets in Shimran?
(a) She doesn't wear a veil.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has too much work to do.
(d) She looks like a thief
6. Why is Nachararyan able to land the first punch while fighting Ali over kidnapping Nino?
(a) He moves faster.
(b) Ali wasn't watching.
(c) He has longer arms.
(d) He is a trained boxer.
7. What does Nino finally tell Ali about her kidnapping?
(a) She wants Ali to kidnap her instead.
(b) She is sorry.
(c) She is ruined.
(d) She went willingly.
8. How many servants does Ali say his uncle has in his Shimran harem?
9. How does Nino plan to restore her house in Baku?
(a) She wants to turn it into a farm.
(b) A blend of east and west.
(c) Like a harem.
(d) In a European style.
10. Where does Ali promise to take Nino on a belated honeymoon?
(a) To England.
(b) To the far east.
(c) To India.
(d) To the west.
11. What does Dim Mehmed Haidar want to build in place of derricks?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A church.
(c) A new city-center.
(d) A garden.
12. In Chapter 28, what does Ali worry his diplomatic reception guests will expect from him as a host?
(a) Eastern myths.
(b) Belly dancers.
(c) Fire breathers.
(d) A veiled wife.
13. Where does Ali flee after a police officer releases a warrant for his arrest?
(b) A fortified village.
(c) A dense farm.
(d) A rural town.
14. What do the Abreks swear to do in Mosque?
(d) Feed the hungry.
15. What advice does Nino give Mirza about the new Baku?
(a) She tells Mirza how to act with westerners.
(b) She teaches Mirza how to shake hands.
(c) She explains how Baku is too hostile for Mirza.
(d) She instructs Mirza to not go out in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the eunuch at the Shimran harem feel about Ali's relationship with Nino?
2. How does Ali feel about Nino's plans for their house in Baku?
3. Who pulls Jahja's tooth?
4. Where does Nachararyan plan to marry Nino?
5. What does Ali call his daughter?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)