|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivers news of Russians in the newly independent Baku?
(c) Safar Khan.
(d) Iljas Beg.
2. What is the first thing Ali does to Nachararyan after he kidnaps Nino?
(a) Disarms him of his gun.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Stabs him in the arm.
(d) Knocks him off his horse.
3. How many witnesses sign Ali and Nino's marriage contract?
4. Why does Ali doubt some of the things Arslan tells him?
(a) Arslan is known to lie.
(b) Arslan had been drinking.
(c) Arslan doesn't like Ali.
(d) Arslan laughed too much.
5. What does Arslan say Nino did to her dog?
(a) Left it in the woods.
(b) Starved it.
(c) Beat it.
(d) Gave it away.
6. In Shimran, how does Nino eat her rice wrong?
(a) She doesn't eat it at all.
(b) She uses the wrong hand.
(c) She doesn't use silverware.
(d) She doesn't pray first.
7. What does Arslan say will kill him?
(a) His blood feud.
(b) His attempt to become king.
(c) His angry relatives.
(d) His love of alcohol.
8. Who orders Nino to be taken home after Nachararyan tried to kidnap her?
(b) Seyd Mustafa.
(c) Ali's father.
9. How does Nino plan to restore her house in Baku?
(a) She wants to turn it into a farm.
(b) In a European style.
(c) Like a harem.
(d) A blend of east and west.
10. What does Ali call his daughter?
(a) An omen.
(b) A beauty.
(c) A toy.
(d) A blessing.
11. What ritual is performed on the tenth of Moharram?
(a) A ritual of suffering.
(b) A ritual of friendship.
(c) A ritual of love.
(d) A ritual of starvation.
12. Why does Arslan say it is safe for Ali and Nino to return home?
(a) They have been gone long enough.
(b) Blood feuds are illegal.
(c) There has been a revolution.
(d) The people of Baku miss them.
13. What do Ali and Nino have to pass through to get to Shimran?
(a) Christian workers.
(b) A group of thieves.
(c) Vast desert.
(d) A jungle.
14. After marrying Ali, how does Nino feel about Baku?
(a) She wants to visit.
(b) She does not want to move back.
(c) She wants to move back.
(d) She wants to burn the village.
15. According to Ali's uncle in Chapter 24, what "lightens the world"?
(a) Persian air.
(b) Persian oil.
(c) Persian art.
(d) Persian women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arslan tell Ali about Nino's life in Tiflis?
2. Where does Nino go to stay before returning to Baku from the palace?
3. What does the prince in Chapter 24 think about Persian cucumbers?
4. Where does Ali promise to take Nino on a belated honeymoon?
5. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)