|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ali flee after a police officer releases a warrant for his arrest?
(a) A dense farm.
(c) A fortified village.
(d) A rural town.
2. What ritual is performed on the tenth of Moharram?
(a) A ritual of suffering.
(b) A ritual of love.
(c) A ritual of friendship.
(d) A ritual of starvation.
3. What does Jahja want to do in Chapter 25 after meeting with Ali?
(a) Write a novel.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Help Ali move.
(d) Call an exorcist.
4. What does Arslan say will kill him?
(a) His angry relatives.
(b) His attempt to become king.
(c) His blood feud.
(d) His love of alcohol.
5. How does Ali learn that his job is transferring him to Paris?
(a) He reads about it in the paper.
(b) Nino hears it on the street.
(c) He gets a call from his boss.
(d) He is sent a train ticket in the mail.
6. What do Ali and Nino have to pass through to get to Shimran?
(a) Vast desert.
(b) A jungle.
(c) Christian workers.
(d) A group of thieves.
7. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
(a) To respect his ancestors.
(b) To honor his dead friends.
(c) To celebrate his freedom.
(d) To show his faith.
8. What does the prince in Chapter 24 think about Persian cucumbers?
(a) They are the largest.
(b) They are the best.
(c) They are fake.
(d) They are the worst.
9. Why is Ali unable to marry Nino after her attempted kidnapping?
(a) He is under vendetta.
(b) He is running from the law.
(c) She is tainted.
(d) She is unwilling.
10. In Chapter 25, why does Ali mark a map with flags?
(a) To represent his friendships.
(b) To show where he has traveled.
(c) To show where he wants to travel.
(d) To represent the developments of the war.
11. What does the governor of Resht call Nino?
(a) A cowardly woman.
(b) A naked woman.
(c) A foolish woman.
(d) An unholy woman.
12. What does Ali do to the lizard he catches in Chapter 19?
(a) He throws it.
(b) He gives it to Arslan.
(c) He releases it.
(d) He eats it.
13. Why does Arslan Aga leave Ali with a stack of paper and a pen?
(a) To record the events of the war.
(b) To write his hero's story.
(c) To write him letters.
(d) To write love poems.
14. Where does Nino say she plans to go when she is exiled for her mistake of leaving with Nachararyan?
15. In Shimran, how does Nino eat her rice wrong?
(a) She doesn't use silverware.
(b) She doesn't eat it at all.
(c) She uses the wrong hand.
(d) She doesn't pray first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ali end up stabbing Nachararyan?
2. How does Arslan describe himself in combat against the Russians?
3. How does the narrator describe the Abreks?
4. Why does Arslan say it is safe for Ali and Nino to return home?
5. After staying in Persia with his uncle, why can't Ali return to war?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)