|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills the Nachararyan family?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Ali's partner.
(c) Ali's father.
2. Why do some Persians believe Persia doesn't need an army?
(a) They never fight.
(b) They have divine protection.
(c) They have other countries protect them.
(d) They need to spend there money in other ways.
3. What does Nachararyan run through after Ali catches him kidnapping Nino?
(a) Through a busy road.
(b) Through a melon field.
(c) Through a bazaar.
(d) Through someone's house.
4. Who is Ali named attaché to after Baku is liberated?
(a) The army general.
(b) The cabinet.
(c) The Foreign Minister.
(d) The Prime Minister.
5. Why does Ali doubt some of the things Arslan tells him?
(a) Arslan had been drinking.
(b) Arslan doesn't like Ali.
(c) Arslan is known to lie.
(d) Arslan laughed too much.
6. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's cousin feel about Persia's development?
(a) He thinks it is very modern.
(b) He thinks it is underdeveloped.
(c) He thinks it is wasted on public art.
(d) He thinks it is expensive.
7. What does Arslan tell Ali about Nino's life in Tiflis?
(a) She has been locked up.
(b) She had been ill.
(c) She has been shipped away.
(d) She has been praying nonstop.
8. According to Ali's uncle in Chapter 24, what "lightens the world"?
(a) Persian oil.
(b) Persian women.
(c) Persian air.
(d) Persian art.
9. Whose idea is it to travel to Gandsha during the first summer of Azerbaijan's independence?
(a) Safar Khan's.
(c) Iljas Beg's.
10. Who tells Ali that Nachararyan has kidnapped Nino?
(a) Seinal Aga.
(b) Nachararyan himself.
(c) Safar Khan.
(d) Seyd Mustafa.
11. What criticism does Ali's father give Nino as a wife?
(a) She is a bad housekeeper.
(b) She is unfaithful.
(c) She is a bad cook.
(d) She is ugly.
12. Who delivers news of Russians in the newly independent Baku?
(a) Safar Khan.
(c) Iljas Beg.
13. What helps Ali earn his new position as an attache after Baku is liberated?
(a) His marriage.
(b) His religious writings.
(c) His father's status.
(d) His ability to speak several languages.
14. Why is Ali unable to marry Nino after her attempted kidnapping?
(a) He is under vendetta.
(b) She is tainted.
(c) She is unwilling.
(d) He is running from the law.
15. In Chapter 28, what does Ali worry his diplomatic reception guests will expect from him as a host?
(a) Belly dancers.
(b) A veiled wife.
(c) Eastern myths.
(d) Fire breathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arslan describe himself in combat against the Russians?
2. What does Arslan say Nino did to her dog?
3. Where does Nino go to stay before returning to Baku from the palace?
4. What does Dim Mehmed Haidar want to build in place of derricks?
5. How does Ali spend the first few weeks of Tamar's life?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)