|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ali named attaché to after Baku is liberated?
(a) The cabinet.
(b) The Foreign Minister.
(c) The army general.
(d) The Prime Minister.
2. What does Jahja want to do in Chapter 25 after meeting with Ali?
(a) Call an exorcist.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Help Ali move.
(d) Write a novel.
3. What does Nachararyan run through after Ali catches him kidnapping Nino?
(a) Through a busy road.
(b) Through a melon field.
(c) Through someone's house.
(d) Through a bazaar.
4. Who tells Ali that Nachararyan has kidnapped Nino?
(a) Nachararyan himself.
(b) Seinal Aga.
(c) Seyd Mustafa.
(d) Safar Khan.
5. What does Ali do to the lizard he catches in Chapter 19?
(a) He releases it.
(b) He throws it.
(c) He gives it to Arslan.
(d) He eats it.
6. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
(a) To honor his dead friends.
(b) To show his faith.
(c) To celebrate his freedom.
(d) To respect his ancestors.
7. How does Ali get his horse to run faster when he is chasing after the kidnapped Nino?
(a) He whips the horse.
(b) He yells at the horse.
(c) He smacks the horse with a dagger.
(d) He bites the horse's neck.
8. Who delivers news of Russians in the newly independent Baku?
(a) Safar Khan.
(b) Iljas Beg.
9. What ritual is performed on the tenth of Moharram?
(a) A ritual of love.
(b) A ritual of suffering.
(c) A ritual of friendship.
(d) A ritual of starvation.
10. What does Arslan say will kill him?
(a) His attempt to become king.
(b) His angry relatives.
(c) His love of alcohol.
(d) His blood feud.
11. In Chapter 16, who orders Ali to attend a meeting of oil princes?
(b) Nino's father.
(c) Safar Khan.
12. What season is it when Baku is considered to be liberated?
13. What does Ali call his daughter?
(a) An omen.
(b) A beauty.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A toy.
14. Why does Arslan say it is safe for Ali and Nino to return home?
(a) They have been gone long enough.
(b) There has been a revolution.
(c) Blood feuds are illegal.
(d) The people of Baku miss them.
15. What does the governor of Resht call Nino?
(a) An unholy woman.
(b) A foolish woman.
(c) A naked woman.
(d) A cowardly woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the eunuch at the Shimran harem feel about Ali's relationship with Nino?
2. What do Ali and Nino have to pass through to get to Shimran?
3. After staying in Persia with his uncle, why can't Ali return to war?
4. Nino says she wants her child to belong to _________.
5. In Chapter 28, what does Ali worry his diplomatic reception guests will expect from him as a host?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)