|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali try to cover up the drums of Hussein?
(a) Because it upsets Nino.
(b) Because it goes against his religion.
(c) Because they are loud.
(d) Because they never stop.
2. Where does Nino go to stay before returning to Baku from the palace?
(a) To her aunt's apartment.
(b) To the harem.
(c) To her parents' flat.
(d) To a women's home.
3. Why does Arslan say it is safe for Ali and Nino to return home?
(a) The people of Baku miss them.
(b) Blood feuds are illegal.
(c) They have been gone long enough.
(d) There has been a revolution.
4. How does Arslan Aga feel about his article being censored?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is proud.
5. Who marries Ali and Nino?
(a) Seyd Mustafa.
(b) Ali does it himself.
(c) A village priest.
(d) A Mullah.
6. After staying in Persia with his uncle, why can't Ali return to war?
(a) The war is ending.
(b) Nino won't let him.
(c) He doesn't want to go back to war.
(d) The roads are blocked.
7. What does Ali's father tell him about Asia's borders in Chapter 22?
(a) They have been blurred.
(b) They have shifted.
(c) They have been strengthened.
(d) They have won.
8. What does Nachararyan say he is saving Nino from when he kidnaps her?
(a) A loss of faith.
(c) A life of poverty.
(d) A Muslim.
9. How does Ali learn that his job is transferring him to Paris?
(a) Nino hears it on the street.
(b) He gets a call from his boss.
(c) He is sent a train ticket in the mail.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
10. Why can't Nino attend the reception for Safar Khan in Shimran?
(a) She refuses to go.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) It is for males only.
(d) She is tired.
11. In Chapter 24, how does Ali's cousin feel about Persia's development?
(a) He thinks it is very modern.
(b) He thinks it is expensive.
(c) He thinks it is wasted on public art.
(d) He thinks it is underdeveloped.
12. What is the first thing Ali does to Nachararyan after he kidnaps Nino?
(a) Disarms him of his gun.
(b) Stabs him in the arm.
(c) Knocks him off his horse.
(d) Slaps him.
13. What does Ali call his daughter?
(a) An omen.
(b) A toy.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A beauty.
14. What does the governor of Resht call Nino?
(a) A foolish woman.
(b) A naked woman.
(c) A cowardly woman.
(d) An unholy woman.
15. How does the narrator describe Mirza during the meeting of oil princes in Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jahja want to do in Chapter 25 after meeting with Ali?
2. Who orders Nino to be taken home after Nachararyan tried to kidnap her?
3. Whose idea is it to travel to Gandsha during the first summer of Azerbaijan's independence?
4. What does Nino finally tell Ali about her kidnapping?
5. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)