|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali decide to beat and cut himself in a crowd of people?
(a) To celebrate his freedom.
(b) To show his faith.
(c) To respect his ancestors.
(d) To honor his dead friends.
2. What is the purpose of the proposed Empire of Turan?
(a) To make Islam more peaceful.
(b) To unite people of Turkish blood.
(c) To help Baku become European.
(d) To tax Christians.
3. How does Ali get his horse to run faster when he is chasing after the kidnapped Nino?
(a) He yells at the horse.
(b) He whips the horse.
(c) He bites the horse's neck.
(d) He smacks the horse with a dagger.
4. Whose idea is it to travel to Gandsha during the first summer of Azerbaijan's independence?
(a) Iljas Beg's.
(b) Safar Khan's.
5. Who marries Ali and Nino?
(a) A Mullah.
(b) A village priest.
(c) Ali does it himself.
(d) Seyd Mustafa.
6. After marrying Ali, how does Nino feel about Baku?
(a) She wants to visit.
(b) She does not want to move back.
(c) She wants to burn the village.
(d) She wants to move back.
7. What rumor does Arslan spread about Ali and Nino?
(a) Nino lost her virginity to Ali.
(b) Nino's father wants to kill Ali.
(c) Ali wants to kill Nino.
(d) Ali will kidnap Nino.
8. In Chapter 16, who orders Ali to attend a meeting of oil princes?
(c) Safar Khan.
(d) Nino's father.
9. Why is Nachararyan able to land the first punch while fighting Ali over kidnapping Nino?
(a) He is a trained boxer.
(b) He moves faster.
(c) He has longer arms.
(d) Ali wasn't watching.
10. What does Nino finally tell Ali about her kidnapping?
(a) She went willingly.
(b) She wants Ali to kidnap her instead.
(c) She is sorry.
(d) She is ruined.
11. What does Jahja want to do in Chapter 25 after meeting with Ali?
(a) Find a new job.
(b) Call an exorcist.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Help Ali move.
12. What is the first thing Ali does to Nachararyan after he kidnaps Nino?
(a) Disarms him of his gun.
(b) Stabs him in the arm.
(c) Knocks him off his horse.
(d) Slaps him.
13. What weapon does Ali use to fight the Russians in Chapter 29?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A sword.
(c) A cannon.
(d) A machine gun.
14. How many servants does Ali say his uncle has in his Shimran harem?
15. Where does Nino go to stay before returning to Baku from the palace?
(a) To a women's home.
(b) To the harem.
(c) To her aunt's apartment.
(d) To her parents' flat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ali angry when his father discusses legends with the boatman in Chapter 22?
2. What advice does Nino give Mirza about the new Baku?
3. What do the Abreks swear to do in Mosque?
4. What does Iljas Beg say Ali represents in his death?
5. What season is it when Baku is considered to be liberated?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)