|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ali flee after a police officer releases a warrant for his arrest?
(b) A rural town.
(c) A fortified village.
(d) A dense farm.
2. How does the former British Consul from Persia in Chapter 28 feel about Azerbaijan?
(a) The country is on the road for economic failure.
(b) The country is ready for independence.
(c) The country will probably be taken over.
(d) The country will become the next great empire.
3. Why does Ali doubt some of the things Arslan tells him?
(a) Arslan doesn't like Ali.
(b) Arslan had been drinking.
(c) Arslan laughed too much.
(d) Arslan is known to lie.
4. What does Ali do while Nino is in labor?
(a) He eats.
(b) He prays.
(c) He takes a vacation.
(d) He drinks alcohol.
5. In Chapter 16, who orders Ali to attend a meeting of oil princes?
(a) Nino's father.
(b) Safar Khan.
6. Who delivers news of Russians in the newly independent Baku?
(a) Safar Khan.
(c) Iljas Beg.
7. Whose idea is it to travel to Gandsha during the first summer of Azerbaijan's independence?
(a) Safar Khan's.
(c) Iljas Beg's.
8. What helps Ali earn his new position as an attache after Baku is liberated?
(a) His religious writings.
(b) His father's status.
(c) His ability to speak several languages.
(d) His marriage.
9. What does Ali's father tell him about Asia's borders in Chapter 22?
(a) They have shifted.
(b) They have won.
(c) They have been blurred.
(d) They have been strengthened.
10. Why can't Nino attend the reception for Safar Khan in Shimran?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) It is for males only.
(c) She is tired.
(d) She refuses to go.
11. Where does Ali end up stabbing Nachararyan?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the heart.
(c) In the leg.
(d) In the stomach.
12. How many servants does Ali say his uncle has in his Shimran harem?
13. Where does Nino say she plans to go when she is exiled for her mistake of leaving with Nachararyan?
14. In Shimran, how does Nino eat her rice wrong?
(a) She uses the wrong hand.
(b) She doesn't eat it at all.
(c) She doesn't pray first.
(d) She doesn't use silverware.
15. After marrying Ali, how does Nino feel about Baku?
(a) She wants to visit.
(b) She does not want to move back.
(c) She wants to move back.
(d) She wants to burn the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arslan say Nino has been partying with?
2. What does Arslan tell Ali about Nino's life in Tiflis?
3. What ritual is performed on the tenth of Moharram?
4. What is the purpose of the proposed Empire of Turan?
5. How does Ali feel when his male guests touch Nino's hands in Chapter 28?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)