|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Czar do after he fires the commander of the army?
(a) Negotiates with England.
(b) Conceeds some eastern lands.
(c) Makes his son the new commander.
(d) Invades Turkey.
2. What groups of people live in Susha?
(a) Armenian and Muslim.
(b) Only Muslims.
(c) Jewish and Armenian.
(d) Muslim and Jewish.
3. What does Ali say Baku is like?
(a) A prison.
(b) A tree.
(c) A nut.
(d) A shell.
4. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
(a) Fisher's Field.
(b) Governor's Garden.
(c) Mayor's Manor.
(d) Chaplain's Square.
5. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
(a) His friend moved there.
(b) His relative was killed there.
(c) His father was in prison there.
(d) He lost his ring there.
6. For whom is Nino named?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her great aunt.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her cousin.
7. Ali's uncle says that he traveled with the King of Kings for __________________.
(a) 10 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 30 years.
8. Who is rumored to be heading to Tiflis because of the war?
9. Where is Susha located?
(a) On a plain.
(b) Near the ocean.
(c) In a desert.
(d) In the mountains.
10. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
(a) Because he is bored.
(b) To make connections in Georgia.
(c) To help Ali marry Nino.
(d) So Nino falls in love with him.
11. Who does Nachararyan say is his cultural enemy?
(c) The United States.
12. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
(a) A fellow student.
(b) A principal.
(c) A father.
(d) A professor.
13. Why is Ali happy about Europe's influence on Nino?
(a) Ali is actually worried about Europe's influence on Nino.
(b) She feels free to talk to him.
(c) She is able to go to school.
(d) She doesn't wear a veil.
14. How does Ali describe the Passion Play of Holy Hussein?
15. Once the war starts, what happens to the train stations?
(a) They are completely shut down.
(b) They are stormed by citizens.
(c) They are bombed.
(d) They are avoided.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
2. What is the Gate of the Gray Wolf?
3. What do Russians call Persian singing?
4. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
5. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)