|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nino, who tried to frame the monk, David?
(a) A young girl.
(b) A mother of ten.
(c) An unmarried pregnant woman.
(d) A woman with only one arm.
2. What do Russians call Persian singing?
(a) Chicken moaning.
(b) Donkey howling.
(c) Screeching weasels.
(d) Yelling elephants.
3. What groups of people live in Susha?
(a) Muslim and Jewish.
(b) Armenian and Muslim.
(c) Jewish and Armenian.
(d) Only Muslims.
4. How does the war cause people to prosper financially?
(a) Oil prices rise.
(b) More weapons are sold.
(c) Poor people are killed.
(d) They find gold.
5. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
(a) The trees.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The desert.
(d) The sea.
6. In Chapter 11, who does Seyd describe as being pagans?
7. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him its ruin.
(b) To show him its greatness.
(c) To show him good shopping.
(d) To introduce him to family.
8. What are the Ashouks known for?
9. In Chapter 5, what does Ali do at the Well of Pechapür?
10. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
(a) He is a boy.
(b) He is dressed in formal wear.
(c) He speaks out against the war.
(d) His horse is running.
11. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
(a) Reconsider his offer.
(b) Finish school.
(c) Find a job.
(d) Take a vacation.
12. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
(a) To make connections in Georgia.
(b) To help Ali marry Nino.
(c) So Nino falls in love with him.
(d) Because he is bored.
13. What is Ali's Koran open to when he comes home from the opera?
(a) A cryptic message.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A list of rules.
(d) A warning.
14. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
(a) His friend moved there.
(b) He lost his ring there.
(c) His father was in prison there.
(d) His relative was killed there.
15. What does Ali say Baku is like?
(a) A shell.
(b) A nut.
(c) A prison.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tiflis, Nino asks Ali if he loves ___________.
2. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
3. How does Ali describe his kiss with Nino in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
5. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)