|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Reconsider his offer.
(c) Find a job.
(d) Finish school.
2. How does Ali get a seat on the train in Chapter 8?
(a) He bribes the driver.
(b) He tips the conductor.
(c) He just walks on the train.
(d) His uncle gets it for him.
3. According to Nino, who tried to frame the monk, David?
(a) An unmarried pregnant woman.
(b) A mother of ten.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A woman with only one arm.
4. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
5. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
(a) He is a boy.
(b) He is dressed in formal wear.
(c) He speaks out against the war.
(d) His horse is running.
6. How long does Ali visit with Nino's family in Tiflis?
(a) Two days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two months.
(d) A week.
7. How many wishes does Ali's father grant him in Chapter 3?
8. What does Nino tell Dadiani about trees?
(a) They house the gods.
(b) Ali is afraid of them.
(c) Her father harvests them.
(d) She hates them.
9. How does Iljas Beg feel about the war in Chapter 9?
(a) He is ignoring all news of the war.
(b) He is excited about it.
(c) He is confused about the war.
(d) He is upset over it.
10. Where does Ali believe the Turks will enter Baku?
(a) Through the Armenian Quarter.
(b) Through the Jewish Quarter.
(c) Through the Russian Quarter.
(d) Through the English Quarter.
11. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
(a) A principal.
(b) A fellow student.
(c) A professor.
(d) A father.
12. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
(a) A party.
(b) A test in silence.
13. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
(d) No one knows for sure.
14. What do the Kipianis want Ali to wait for before proposing to Nino?
(a) For Nino's uncle to approve.
(b) For Ali to find a job.
(c) For the war to end.
(d) For Nino to visit Russia.
15. In Chapter 8, what does Ali say is the only reason he could go to war?
(a) If his father told him.
(b) If his homeland were threatened.
(c) If he was forced to by the goverment.
(d) If Nino was in danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kotshi feel about war?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Ali fear has corrupted Nino?
3. What are the Ashouks known for?
4. Why does Ali go home in Chapter 7?
5. What is the second wish Ali asks of his father?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)