|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ali's uncle visit from Iran?
(a) To get medical treatment.
(b) To attend school.
(c) To ask for money.
(d) To trade his goods.
2. How does Ali know Count Nelikov is off to war?
(a) He writes a letter to Ali.
(b) He buys a new sword.
(c) He shouts it across town.
(d) He is riding his horse.
3. What does Ali's father lecture him on in Chapter 3?
(a) Passing school.
(b) Saving money.
(c) Avoiding politics.
(d) Treating people kindly.
4. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
(a) No one knows for sure.
5. What is the second wish Ali asks of his father?
(a) To be able to write about the war.
(b) To be able to join the war later.
(c) To be able to ignore the war entirely.
(d) To be able to fight honorably in the war.
6. Who is rumored to be heading to Tiflis because of the war?
7. Who fights with Russia over Baku?
8. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
(a) A principal.
(b) A fellow student.
(c) A father.
(d) A professor.
9. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
(a) A kidney disease.
(b) Travel plans.
(c) A sore foot.
(d) His father's power.
10. Why does Ali go home in Chapter 7?
(a) His uncle tells him to go home.
(b) He is hiding from the war.
(c) He wants to protect Nino.
(d) His father sends a telegram.
11. In Tiflis, Nino asks Ali if he loves ___________.
(a) Her beliefs.
(b) Her face.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her feet.
12. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They are fickle.
(b) They must agree with their husband.
(c) They are uneducated.
(d) They don't have souls.
13. Who declares the war that wakes Ali from his dreams of marrying Nino?
(a) The Queen of England.
(b) The Russian Czar.
(c) China's monarch.
(d) A Turkish leader.
14. In Chapter 13, where does Ali imagine kidnapping Nino to?
15. How does Ali say he feels about using cutlery?
(a) He knows he isn't good at it.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He thinks it is civilized.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 9, where does Ali ask Nino to go with him?
2. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
3. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
4. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Ali fear has corrupted Nino?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)