|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
(a) He is dressed in formal wear.
(b) His horse is running.
(c) He speaks out against the war.
(d) He is a boy.
2. What does Ali say Nino looks like at Iljas Beg's graduation party?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) A beggar girl.
(c) A princess.
3. What is Mehmed Haidar studying to be?
(a) A priest.
(b) A musician.
(c) An officer.
(d) A writer.
4. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
(a) No one knows for sure.
5. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
(a) His friend moved there.
(b) His relative was killed there.
(c) His father was in prison there.
(d) He lost his ring there.
6. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
(a) He is confused by it.
(b) He agrees with it.
(c) He disagrees with it.
(d) He is worried about it.
7. How many wishes does Ali's father grant him in Chapter 3?
8. Where does Iljas Beg host a graduation party?
(a) At his family's country home.
(b) At his father's palace.
(c) At the university.
(d) At a ballroom in Moscow.
9. What do Russians call Persian singing?
(a) Screeching weasels.
(b) Yelling elephants.
(c) Chicken moaning.
(d) Donkey howling.
10. How does Ali describe his house in Chapter 1?
11. When does Nino's father take Ali to Tiflis to meet the family?
(a) After Ali begs him.
(b) After Nino passes her exams.
(c) After Georgia takes the lead in the war.
(d) After Ali proves himself.
12. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
(d) St. Petersburg.
13. What does Ali's father lecture him on in Chapter 3?
(a) Treating people kindly.
(b) Passing school.
(c) Saving money.
(d) Avoiding politics.
14. How long does Ali visit with Nino's family in Tiflis?
(a) Two days.
(b) A week.
(c) A month.
(d) Two months.
15. What does Ali say about the veil when discussing marriage with Nino's father?
(a) He says he doesn't care either way.
(b) He says he supports it.
(c) He says it's none of anyone's business what he thinks.
(d) He says he renounces it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, where does Ali imagine kidnapping Nino to?
2. At the end of Chapter 9, where does Ali ask Nino to go with him?
3. In Chapter 11, who does Seyd describe as being pagans?
4. What groups of people live in Susha?
5. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)