|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Where is the Russian boys' school?
(d) St. Petersburg.
3. What do Russians call Persian singing?
(a) Donkey howling.
(b) Screeching weasels.
(c) Yelling elephants.
(d) Chicken moaning.
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali he must name his first born?
5. How does Ali describe the Passion Play of Holy Hussein?
6. In Chapter 11, who does Seyd describe as being pagans?
7. What does Ali say about the veil when discussing marriage with Nino's father?
(a) He says he doesn't care either way.
(b) He says he renounces it.
(c) He says it's none of anyone's business what he thinks.
(d) He says he supports it.
8. What does Ali's father lecture him on in Chapter 3?
(a) Treating people kindly.
(b) Avoiding politics.
(c) Passing school.
(d) Saving money.
9. What does Nino tell Dadiani about trees?
(a) Ali is afraid of them.
(b) Her father harvests them.
(c) She hates them.
(d) They house the gods.
10. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
(a) A party.
(c) A test in silence.
11. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They must agree with their husband.
(b) They are uneducated.
(c) They don't have souls.
(d) They are fickle.
12. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
(a) Nino's father.
(b) Nino's mother.
(d) Ali's father.
13. What color is the "Horse of Karabagh"?
14. In Chapter 1, who challenges the boys to choose between Europe and Asia?
(a) A principal.
(b) A professor.
(c) A father.
(d) A fellow student.
15. How does Nachararyan feel about Ali's desire to marry Nino?
(a) He is confused by it.
(b) He agrees with it.
(c) He is worried about it.
(d) He disagrees with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
2. What does the narrator say is wrong with Russian justice?
3. What does Ali say Baku is like?
4. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
5. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)