|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ali say Nino looks like at Iljas Beg's graduation party?
(b) A princess.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) A beggar girl.
2. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
(b) Nino's mother.
(c) Nino's father.
(d) Ali's father.
3. How long does Ali wait in Shusha for Nino before hearing tales about Karabagh?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Six days.
4. What does Safar Khan tell Ali he must name his first born?
5. Where is the Russian boys' school?
(b) St. Petersburg.
6. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
(b) St. Petersburg.
7. Where is Susha located?
(a) On a plain.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) Near the ocean.
(d) In a desert.
8. Why is Ali happy about Europe's influence on Nino?
(a) She is able to go to school.
(b) She doesn't wear a veil.
(c) She feels free to talk to him.
(d) Ali is actually worried about Europe's influence on Nino.
9. Who declares the war that wakes Ali from his dreams of marrying Nino?
(a) A Turkish leader.
(b) The Russian Czar.
(c) China's monarch.
(d) The Queen of England.
10. Who takes Ali to a sulfur bath in Tiflis?
(b) Nino's father.
11. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
(a) He is dressed in formal wear.
(b) He speaks out against the war.
(c) He is a boy.
(d) His horse is running.
12. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
(a) Find a job.
(b) Reconsider his offer.
(c) Take a vacation.
(d) Finish school.
13. What color is the "Horse of Karabagh"?
14. What does Ali say about the veil when discussing marriage with Nino's father?
(a) He says he renounces it.
(b) He says he doesn't care either way.
(c) He says he supports it.
(d) He says it's none of anyone's business what he thinks.
15. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They don't have souls.
(b) They are fickle.
(c) They must agree with their husband.
(d) They are uneducated.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ali know Count Nelikov is off to war?
2. What is Susha best known for?
3. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Ali say is the only reason he could go to war?
5. What does Ali say Baku is like?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)