|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Iljas Beg feel about the war in Chapter 9?
(a) He is upset over it.
(b) He is ignoring all news of the war.
(c) He is excited about it.
(d) He is confused about the war.
2. Who fights with Russia over Baku?
3. What does Nachararyan tell Ali about kidnapping Nino?
(a) It should be a last resort.
(b) It is outdated.
(c) He could be killed for it.
(d) It is the best idea.
4. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
(a) Fisher's Field.
(b) Chaplain's Square.
(c) Mayor's Manor.
(d) Governor's Garden.
5. What groups of people live in Susha?
(a) Only Muslims.
(b) Jewish and Armenian.
(c) Armenian and Muslim.
(d) Muslim and Jewish.
6. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
(a) Ali's father.
(c) Nino's mother.
(d) Nino's father.
7. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
(a) His father was in prison there.
(b) His relative was killed there.
(c) He lost his ring there.
(d) His friend moved there.
8. What are the Ashouks known for?
9. Where does Iljas Beg host a graduation party?
(a) At the university.
(b) At a ballroom in Moscow.
(c) At his family's country home.
(d) At his father's palace.
10. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
(a) To help Ali marry Nino.
(b) Because he is bored.
(c) To make connections in Georgia.
(d) So Nino falls in love with him.
11. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him its ruin.
(b) To show him its greatness.
(c) To introduce him to family.
(d) To show him good shopping.
12. What do Russians call Persian singing?
(a) Donkey howling.
(b) Chicken moaning.
(c) Screeching weasels.
(d) Yelling elephants.
13. What is Susha best known for?
(a) Its university
(b) Its food.
(c) Its religious houses.
(d) Its sports teams.
14. What is the Gate of the Gray Wolf?
(a) A wall built out of logs.
(b) A long, white fence.
(c) A pair of rocks.
(d) An invisible line.
15. Who declares the war that wakes Ali from his dreams of marrying Nino?
(a) China's monarch.
(b) A Turkish leader.
(c) The Russian Czar.
(d) The Queen of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ali describe the Passion Play of Holy Hussein?
2. How does Ali get a seat on the train in Chapter 8?
3. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
4. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
5. How many Ashouks does the narrator say are left?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)