|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him good shopping.
(b) To show him its ruin.
(c) To show him its greatness.
(d) To introduce him to family.
2. Why does Ali travel to the Kipianis in Chapter 9?
(a) To hide from his father.
(b) To find Nino.
(c) To make money.
(d) To protect his reputation.
3. What color is the "Horse of Karabagh"?
4. What are the Ashouks known for?
5. Why does Ali's uncle visit from Iran?
(a) To trade his goods.
(b) To attend school.
(c) To get medical treatment.
(d) To ask for money.
6. Where does Ali believe the Turks will enter Baku?
(a) Through the Jewish Quarter.
(b) Through the Armenian Quarter.
(c) Through the English Quarter.
(d) Through the Russian Quarter.
7. What does Ali say Nino looks like at Iljas Beg's graduation party?
(a) A beggar girl.
(c) A princess.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
8. What does Nachararyan tell Ali about kidnapping Nino?
(a) It should be a last resort.
(b) He could be killed for it.
(c) It is outdated.
(d) It is the best idea.
9. How does Iljas Beg feel about the war in Chapter 9?
(a) He is excited about it.
(b) He is confused about the war.
(c) He is upset over it.
(d) He is ignoring all news of the war.
10. Why do people ask Ali if he is off to war in Chapter 7?
(a) He is dressed in formal wear.
(b) His horse is running.
(c) He is a boy.
(d) He speaks out against the war.
11. What does Nino tell Ali she needs help with at the end of Chapter 12?
12. What subject does Ali struggle in?
13. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
(b) St. Petersburg.
14. Why does the The Ottoman Empire declare a Holy War?
(a) To confuse Russians.
(b) To free Muslims.
(c) To defeat Jews.
(d) To enrage Christians.
15. Why does Prince Dadiani invite Ali and Nino to his castle for the first time?
(a) To offer them gifts.
(b) To show them a forest.
(c) To challenge them to a game of cards.
(d) To watch them dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
2. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
3. How does Ali describe his house in Chapter 1?
4. When did the Prophet Elias appoint the Ashouks?
5. What upsets Ali about Gandsha?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)