|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tiflis, Nino asks Ali if he loves ___________.
(a) Her feet.
(b) Her beliefs.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her face.
2. What color is the "Horse of Karabagh"?
3. Who is rumored to be heading to Tiflis because of the war?
4. How many wishes does Ali's father grant him in Chapter 3?
5. How does Ali describe the nights spent visiting Nino's family in Tiflis?
(a) A party.
(b) A test in silence.
6. Why is Ali happy about Europe's influence on Nino?
(a) She is able to go to school.
(b) She feels free to talk to him.
(c) Ali is actually worried about Europe's influence on Nino.
(d) She doesn't wear a veil.
7. What does Safar Khan tell Ali is wrong with Nino when Ali says he wants to marry her?
(a) Her hips.
(b) Her mind.
(c) Her heritage.
(d) Her faith.
8. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
(a) To help Ali marry Nino.
(b) So Nino falls in love with him.
(c) To make connections in Georgia.
(d) Because he is bored.
9. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
(a) Reconsider his offer.
(b) Finish school.
(c) Find a job.
(d) Take a vacation.
10. What does Ali's father lecture him on in Chapter 3?
(a) Saving money.
(b) Passing school.
(c) Treating people kindly.
(d) Avoiding politics.
11. What does Ali say Baku is like?
(a) A prison.
(b) A nut.
(c) A tree.
(d) A shell.
12. How does Nachararyan describe himself to Nino?
(a) An ascetic.
(b) A powerhouse.
(c) A hedonist.
(d) A fool.
13. What are the Ashouks known for?
14. Why does the The Ottoman Empire declare a Holy War?
(a) To confuse Russians.
(b) To free Muslims.
(c) To defeat Jews.
(d) To enrage Christians.
15. Where does Ali believe the Turks will enter Baku?
(a) Through the Russian Quarter.
(b) Through the Jewish Quarter.
(c) Through the English Quarter.
(d) Through the Armenian Quarter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ali say Nino looks like at Iljas Beg's graduation party?
2. Why does Ali travel to the Kipianis in Chapter 9?
3. When did the Prophet Elias appoint the Ashouks?
4. What do Russians call Persian singing?
5. Where does Iljas Beg host a graduation party?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)