|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the war starts, what happens to the train stations?
(a) They are stormed by citizens.
(b) They are completely shut down.
(c) They are avoided.
(d) They are bombed.
2. What does the Czar do after he fires the commander of the army?
(a) Invades Turkey.
(b) Negotiates with England.
(c) Makes his son the new commander.
(d) Conceeds some eastern lands.
3. Whom does Ali leave the arrangements of his marriage to Nino up to?
(a) Nino's mother.
(b) Nino's father.
(c) Ali's father.
4. Where is Susha located?
(a) Near the ocean.
(b) On a plain.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In a desert.
5. What is Ali's Koran open to when he comes home from the opera?
(a) A blessing.
(b) A list of rules.
(c) A warning.
(d) A cryptic message.
6. Why does Nachararyan decide to befriend Nino's father?
(a) Because he is bored.
(b) So Nino falls in love with him.
(c) To help Ali marry Nino.
(d) To make connections in Georgia.
7. How does Ali get a seat on the train in Chapter 8?
(a) He just walks on the train.
(b) His uncle gets it for him.
(c) He tips the conductor.
(d) He bribes the driver.
8. What subject does Ali struggle in?
9. What does Ali say about the veil when discussing marriage with Nino's father?
(a) He says it's none of anyone's business what he thinks.
(b) He says he renounces it.
(c) He says he doesn't care either way.
(d) He says he supports it.
10. In Chapter 7, what does Ali fear has corrupted Nino?
(a) Not wearing a veil.
(b) Traveling to Russia.
(c) Listening to music.
(d) Reading books.
11. How does Ali describe his house in Chapter 1?
12. Why does Nino take Ali to a western city in Tiflis?
(a) To show him its greatness.
(b) To show him good shopping.
(c) To introduce him to family.
(d) To show him its ruin.
13. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They are fickle.
(b) They don't have souls.
(c) They must agree with their husband.
(d) They are uneducated.
14. Where does Iljas Beg host a graduation party?
(a) At his family's country home.
(b) At the university.
(c) At his father's palace.
(d) At a ballroom in Moscow.
15. Who takes Ali to a sulfur bath in Tiflis?
(b) Nino's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ali meet Nino after being lectured by his father in Chapter 3?
2. Who is rumored to be heading to Tiflis because of the war?
3. What does the narrator say is wrong with Russian justice?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
5. How many wishes does Ali's father grant him in Chapter 3?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)