|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Persia decide to stay out of the war?
(a) Persia doesn't hear about the war.
(b) Persia likes Europe too much.
(c) It is too costly to fight.
(d) It is for the unbelievers.
2. Why does Ali's uncle visit from Iran?
(a) To get medical treatment.
(b) To trade his goods.
(c) To attend school.
(d) To ask for money.
3. What does Nino tell Nachararyan the Persians have done to Transcaucasia?
(a) Torn it apart.
(b) Made it better.
(c) Acted as kind guests.
(d) Ignored their pleas for help.
4. What does Nachararyan tell Ali about kidnapping Nino?
(a) He could be killed for it.
(b) It should be a last resort.
(c) It is the best idea.
(d) It is outdated.
5. For whom is Nino named?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her great aunt.
(d) Her mother.
6. What does Nachararyan say keeps him from serving in the army?
(a) A kidney disease.
(b) Travel plans.
(c) A sore foot.
(d) His father's power.
7. Why does Seyd say faith doesn't matter for women?
(a) They are fickle.
(b) They are uneducated.
(c) They don't have souls.
(d) They must agree with their husband.
8. In Chapter 1, where does Ali say he plans to study?
(d) St. Petersburg.
9. How does Iljas Beg feel about the war in Chapter 9?
(a) He is upset over it.
(b) He is ignoring all news of the war.
(c) He is excited about it.
(d) He is confused about the war.
10. How does the war cause people to prosper financially?
(a) Poor people are killed.
(b) More weapons are sold.
(c) Oil prices rise.
(d) They find gold.
11. What do the Kipianis want Ali to wait for before proposing to Nino?
(a) For Nino's uncle to approve.
(b) For the war to end.
(c) For Ali to find a job.
(d) For Nino to visit Russia.
12. According to Nino, who tried to frame the monk, David?
(a) A woman with only one arm.
(b) A mother of ten.
(c) An unmarried pregnant woman.
(d) A young girl.
13. What are the Ashouks known for?
14. In traditional Asian courtship, what do boys do when they like a girl?
(a) Tell the girl's father how they feel.
(b) Ignore their feelings.
(c) Write the girl a note.
(d) Have their family tell the girl's family.
15. Where is Nino Kipiani originally from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declares the war that wakes Ali from his dreams of marrying Nino?
2. After disappointing many people with his feelings about the war, what does Ali look to for inspiration?
3. What subject does Ali struggle in?
4. What is the second wish Ali asks of his father?
5. What do the Kipianis want Nino to do before marrying Ali?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)