Short Essay Questions Key
1. What does a professor challenge his students with in Chapter 1?
A professor tells his students that their challenge is choosing between Europe, which is modern, and Asia, which is reactionary.
2. How does Ali feel about his Asian heritage?
Ali likes his Asian heritage because it is part of his beautiful house. He also dislikes Western traditions, like using a fork and knife to eat.
3. What does Ali's uncle reflect upon when he discusses his travels with the King of Kings?
Ali's uncle says that unbelievers are very uncultured, but they still prosper against Islam.
4. Why does Ali say Baku is like a kernel in a nut?
Ali says that Baku is like a kernel in a nut because there is the traditional Asian center surrounded by the more modern Western part of the city. The two parts are divided by a wall.
5. Why does Ali have problems in school?
Ali has problems in school because he disagrees with his history teacher on the perspective of certain historical events. Ali feels somberly toward some events, having lost relatives there. He is denied honors because of his history grades.
This section contains 2,409 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)