|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
2. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
3. What is included in Chapter IV that is from the Bible?
4. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
5. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
2. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
3. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
4. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
5. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
6. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
7. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
8. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
9. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
10. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)