|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
2. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
3. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
5. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
2. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
3. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
4. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
5. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
6. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
7. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
8. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
9. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
10. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)