|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
2. When was the next document produced?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
5. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
2. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
3. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
4. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
5. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
6. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
7. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
8. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
9. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
10. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 2
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)