|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
2. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
3. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
4. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
5. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
2. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
3. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
4. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
5. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
6. Explain Alfred's law-code.
7. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
8. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
9. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
10. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 3
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)