|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
2. When was the next document produced?
3. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
4. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
5. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
2. Explain Alfred's law-code.
3. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
4. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
5. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
6. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
7. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
8. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
9. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
10. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)