|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
2. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
3. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
4. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
5. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three people died between 888 and 890?
2. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
3. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
4. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
5. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
6. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
7. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
8. Explain Alfred's law-code.
9. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
10. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of education in Alfred's life and reign.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)