|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
2. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
4. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
5. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
3. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
4. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
5. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
7. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
8. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
9. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
10. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of education in Alfred's life and reign.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)