|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
2. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
4. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
5. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
2. What three people died between 888 and 890?
3. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
4. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
5. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
6. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
7. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
8. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
9. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
10. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the Vikings? Explain their significance during King Alfred's life and reign.
Essay Topic 2
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)