|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
2. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
3. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
4. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
5. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
2. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
3. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
4. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
5. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
6. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
7. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
8. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
9. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why it was important for Asser to include King Alfred's lineage in his biography, particularly on his father's side.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)