|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document is included after the will?
2. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. What appeared at Easter in 891?
4. What is the next document?
5. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
2. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
3. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
4. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
5. What three people died between 888 and 890?
6. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
7. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
8. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
9. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
10. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast fiction and non-fiction. Is Alfred the Great fiction or non-fiction? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)