|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
2. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. When was the next document produced?
5. Whose will is included?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
2. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
3. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
4. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
5. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
6. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
7. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
8. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
9. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
10. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
Essay Topic 2
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
Essay Topic 3
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)