|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
2. What was the second work translated?
3. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
4. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
5. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
3. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
4. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
5. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
6. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
7. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
8. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
9. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
10. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why it was important for Asser to include King Alfred's lineage in his biography, particularly on his father's side.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)