|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
2. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
3. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
4. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
5. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
3. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
4. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
5. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
6. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
7. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
8. What three people died between 888 and 890?
9. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
10. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 3
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)