|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first part of the code is from whom?
2. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
3. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
4. When Alfred received revenues, he apportioned much of it to ______ affairs.
5. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
2. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
3. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
4. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
5. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
6. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
7. Explain Alfred's law-code.
8. What three people died between 888 and 890?
9. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast fiction and non-fiction. Is Alfred the Great fiction or non-fiction? How do you know?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)