|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
2. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
5. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
2. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
3. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
4. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
5. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
6. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
7. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
8. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
9. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
10. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 2
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)