|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
2. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
3. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
4. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
5. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Alfred's law-code.
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
4. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
5. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
6. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
7. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
8. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
9. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
10. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)