|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
2. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
3. How many candles did Alfred have made?
4. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
5. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Alfred's law-code.
2. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
3. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
4. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
5. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
6. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
8. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
9. What three people died between 888 and 890?
10. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)