|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the next document?
2. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
3. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
4. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
5. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
2. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
3. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
4. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
5. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
6. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
7. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
8. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
9. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
10. What three people died between 888 and 890?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 3
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)