|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
2. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
3. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
4. Whose will is included?
5. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
3. What three people died between 888 and 890?
4. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
5. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
6. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
7. Explain Alfred's law-code.
8. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
9. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
10. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why it was important for Asser to include King Alfred's lineage in his biography, particularly on his father's side.
Essay Topic 2
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)