|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
2. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
3. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
4. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
5. The second part of the code is from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
2. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
3. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
4. What three people died between 888 and 890?
5. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
6. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
7. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
8. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
9. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
10. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 3
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)