|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the second work translated?
2. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
3. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
4. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
5. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
2. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
3. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
4. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
5. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
6. Explain Alfred's law-code.
7. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
8. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
9. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
10. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)