|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
2. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
3. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
4. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
5. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
2. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
3. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
4. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
5. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
6. What is the final document in <i>King Alfred</i> the Great?
7. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
8. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
9. Who was Asser?
10. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
Essay Topic 3
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)