|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
2. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
3. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
4. What did Alfred build in 878?
5. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Easter in 878?
2. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
3. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
4. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
5. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
6. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
7. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
8. Who was Asser?
9. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
10. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the Vikings? Explain their significance during King Alfred's life and reign.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)