|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Asser later become?
2. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
3. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
4. Where were the Vikings in 855?
5. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
2. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
3. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
5. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
6. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
7. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
8. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
9. Who was Asser?
10. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 3
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)