|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
2. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
3. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
4. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Asser?
2. Describe Alfred's youth.
3. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
4. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
5. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
6. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
7. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
8. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
9. What happened on Easter in 878?
10. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)