|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Inglid's brother?
2. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
3. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
4. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
5. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
2. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
3. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
4. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
5. What happened on Easter in 878?
6. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
7. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
8. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
9. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
10. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 2
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)