|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
2. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
3. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
4. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
5. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
2. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
3. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
4. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
5. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
6. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
7. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
8. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
9. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
10. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alfred's finances, focusing on the influence of his faith on his spending.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of education in Alfred's life and reign.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)