|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
2. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
3. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
4. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
5. What audience did Asser have in mind when he wrote his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
2. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
3. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. Who was Asser?
5. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
6. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
7. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
8. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
9. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
10. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)