|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
2. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
3. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
4. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
2. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
3. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
4. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
5. What happened on Easter in 878?
6. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
7. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
8. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
9. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
10. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's <i>Pastoral Care</i>.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)