|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
2. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
5. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
2. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
3. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
4. What happened on Easter in 878?
5. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
6. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
7. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
8. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
9. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
10. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast fiction and non-fiction. Is Alfred the Great fiction or non-fiction? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of education in Alfred's life and reign.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)