|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
2. What kingdom was Asser from?
3. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
4. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
5. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
2. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
3. What did one historian theorize about Asser's <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
4. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
5. What are the dimensions of the Alfred Jewel?
6. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
7. What is the second appendix?
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
10. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 2
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)