|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
2. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
3. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
4. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
5. What is the origin of Asser's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
2. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
3. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
4. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
5. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
6. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
7. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
8. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
9. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
10. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 3
How did Alfred's people receive him as a ruler? What evidence supports this?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)