|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alfred build in 878?
2. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
3. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
4. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
5. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
2. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
3. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
4. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
5. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
6. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
7. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
8. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
9. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
10. What happened on Easter in 878?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)