|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Asser later become?
2. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
3. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
4. When was Alfred the Great born?
5. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
2. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
3. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
7. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
8. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
9. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
10. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 3
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)