Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
2. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
2. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
3. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
4. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. What is the final document in <i>King Alfred</i> the Great?
7. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
8. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
9. Explain Asser's dedication in his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>.
10. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast fiction and non-fiction. Is Alfred the Great fiction or non-fiction? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why it was important for Asser to include King Alfred's lineage in his biography, particularly on his father's side.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the alliances that Alfred developed with other kingdoms in order to defend against the Vikings. Why did so many kingdoms swear oaths to King Alfred?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)