|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
2. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
3. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
4. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
5. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
2. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
3. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
4. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
5. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
6. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
7. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
8. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
9. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
10. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why it was important for Asser to include King Alfred's lineage in his biography, particularly on his father's side.
Essay Topic 3
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)