|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
2. When did Alfred the Great rule?
3. When did Pope Marinus die?
4. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
2. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
3. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
4. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
5. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
6. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
7. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
10. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)