|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
2. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
3. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
4. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
5. What is the origin of Asser's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Asser?
2. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
5. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
6. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
7. Describe Alfred's youth.
8. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
9. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
10. What happened on Easter in 878?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)