|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alfred build in 878?
2. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
3. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
4. What is the origin of Asser's name?
5. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
2. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
3. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
4. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
5. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
6. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
7. Who was Asser?
8. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
9. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
10. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred the Great's mysterious illness. How did it affect his life? How did it affect his reign? How was it treated? How was he cured?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)