|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Pope Marinus die?
2. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
3. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
4. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
2. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
3. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
4. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
5. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
6. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
7. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
8. Describe Alfred's youth.
9. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
10. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 3
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)