|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
2. What did the pope do to Alfred?
3. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
4. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
5. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
2. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's <i>Soliloquies</i>.
3. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
4. What are the historical notes made about the story of Alfred and the Cakes?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's <i>Consolation of Philosophy</i>? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
7. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
8. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
9. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
10. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of Alfred's family in his life and reign. Be sure to discuss his father and siblings, as well as his children.
Essay Topic 2
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)