|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
2. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
3. What kingdom was Asser from?
4. Who was the king of the Vikings?
5. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
2. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
5. Who was Asser?
6. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
7. Describe Alfred's youth.
8. What happened on Easter in 878?
9. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
10. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are appendices? What are the purposes of the appendices in Alfred the Great? What do they add to the book? How would the book be different if they were not there?
Essay Topic 2
Who were the Vikings? Explain their significance during King Alfred's life and reign.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast primary documents and secondary documents as they are used in historical research. Which of the resources used in Alfred the Great are primary? Which are secondary?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)