|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
2. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
3. When was Alfred the Great born?
4. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
5. What is the origin of Asser's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
2. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
3. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
4. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
5. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
6. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
7. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
8. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
9. What happened on Easter in 878?
10. Who was Asser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
What was important to King Alfred? Explain his priorities in both his personal life and as a king. Support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Explain who Asser was, and what authority he had to write a biography of King Alfred. Explain how he wrote the biography, including its publication and distribution.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)