|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
2. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
3. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
4. Who was Inglid's brother?
5. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
2. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
3. Who was Asser?
4. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
5. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
6. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
7. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
8. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
9. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
10. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast fiction and non-fiction. Is Alfred the Great fiction or non-fiction? How do you know?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)