|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
2. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
3. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
4. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
5. Where were the Vikings in 855?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
2. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
3. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
5. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
6. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
7. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
8. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
9. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
10. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)