|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
2. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
3. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
4. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
5. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
2. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
5. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
6. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
7. Who was Asser?
8. Describe Alfred's youth.
9. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
10. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain King Alfred's law-code. What did his law-code reveal about him as a ruler and as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of faith/religion in King Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reputation that developed about King Alfred in the years after his death.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)