|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
2. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
3. When was Alfred the Great born?
4. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
5. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
2. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
5. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
6. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
7. What happened on Easter in 878?
8. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
9. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
10. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alfred's goal in translating works into English. What works did he choose? Why did he choose these specific works?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
Essay Topic 3
Who were the Vikings? Explain their significance during King Alfred's life and reign.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)