|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
2. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
3. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
4. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
5. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
2. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
3. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
4. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
5. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
6. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
7. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
8. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
9. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
10. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Alfred Jewel. What is known about it? What is not known about it? Why is information about the Alfred Jewel included in Alfred the Great?
Essay Topic 2
What is writing style? Why is it important? Identify style elements Asser used in his Life of King Alfred.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Asser and King Alfred during and after Alfred's life.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)