|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first part of the code is from whom?
2. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) The New Testament.
(b) The Gospels.
(c) The Catholic Book of Prayer.
(d) The Psalter.
3. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
4. What is included in Chapter IV that is from the Bible?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) The Beatitudes.
(c) The Sermon on the Mount.
(d) The lineage of King David.
5. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
2. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
3. How many candles did Alfred have made?
4. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
5. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
2. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
3. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
4. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
5. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
6. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
7. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
8. What three people died between 888 and 890?
9. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
10. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)