|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
2. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He was exceptionally religious.
(b) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
(c) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
(d) He was an ordained priest.
3. The first part of the code is from whom?
4. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
5. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
2. When was the next document produced?
3. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
4. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
5. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
2. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
3. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
4. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
5. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
6. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
7. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
8. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
9. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
10. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)