|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) Alfred's marriage.
(b) The birth of Alfred's son.
(c) The death of Asser.
(d) Where Asser's writing left off.
2. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
3. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
4. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) As a request for sanctuary.
(b) To touch base.
(c) In response to a request from Alfred.
(d) As a thank you for a gift.
5. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The poor.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) His monasteries.
(d) The school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
2. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
3. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
5. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
2. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
3. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
4. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
5. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
6. What three people died between 888 and 890?
7. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
8. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
9. Explain Alfred's law-code.
10. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)