|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) The Catholic Catechism.
(b) On Prayer.
(c) Dialogues on Faith.
(d) Pastoral Care.
2. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His parties.
(b) His family.
(c) His hobbies.
(d) His accomplishments.
3. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
(a) Upon Alfred's death.
4. What is the next document?
(a) A treaty.
(b) A debate.
(c) A letter.
(d) A transcription from a conversation.
5. What document is included after the will?
(a) A charter.
(b) A list of King Alfred's properties.
(c) A treaty.
(d) Another will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
2. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
3. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
4. Whose will is included?
5. The first part of the code is from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
2. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
3. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
4. Explain Alfred's law-code.
5. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
6. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
7. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
8. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
9. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
10. What three people died between 888 and 890?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)