|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the next document?
(a) A transcription from a conversation.
(b) A treaty.
(c) A debate.
(d) A letter.
2. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At relics.
(b) At cathedrals.
(c) In his private prayer chapel.
(d) At cemeteries.
3. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
4. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
5. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
2. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
3. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
4. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
5. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
2. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
3. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
4. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
5. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
6. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
7. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
8. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
9. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
10. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)