|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the next document?
(a) A debate.
(b) A letter.
(c) A transcription from a conversation.
(d) A treaty.
2. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
3. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were called away by the king to another area.
(b) The winter was too harsh.
(c) They had too few resources.
(d) They were battled back by enemy forces.
4. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
5. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
(a) A wife.
(b) A portion of the kingdom.
(c) An estate.
(d) A neighboring kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
2. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
5. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
2. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
3. What three people died between 888 and 890?
4. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
5. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
6. Explain Alfred's law-code.
7. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
8. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
9. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
10. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)