|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) Religious culture.
(c) The books it once contained.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
2. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
3. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
4. Who wrote the psalms?
5. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
2. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
3. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
4. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
5. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
2. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
3. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
4. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
5. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
6. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
7. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
8. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
9. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
10. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)