|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
2. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
3. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) As a thank you for a gift.
(b) As a request for sanctuary.
(c) To touch base.
(d) In response to a request from Alfred.
4. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
5. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
2. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
3. How many candles did Alfred have made?
4. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
5. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
2. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
3. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
4. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
5. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
6. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
7. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
8. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
9. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
10. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)