|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Alfred received revenues, he apportioned much of it to ______ affairs.
2. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
(a) He was King Alfred's mother's nephew.
(b) He was King Alfred's godson.
(c) He was King Alfred's cousin.
(d) He was King Alfred's godfather.
3. The first part of the code is from whom?
4. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
(b) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
(c) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
(d) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
5. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) Dr. Freud.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Lady Philosophy.
(d) The Earl of Wessex.
Short Answer Questions
1. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
2. Whose will is included?
3. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
5. How many candles did Alfred have made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
2. Explain Alfred's law-code.
3. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
4. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
5. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
6. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
7. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
8. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
9. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
10. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care to King Alfred? What is its focus?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)