|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
2. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
3. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
(a) An estate.
(b) A portion of the kingdom.
(c) A wife.
(d) A neighboring kingdom.
4. What bishop translated a work by Pope Gregory for King Alfred?
5. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
2. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
3. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
4. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
5. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
2. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
3. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
4. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
5. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
6. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
7. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
8. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
9. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
10. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)