|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
2. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
3. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
4. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) Lady Philosophy.
(b) The Earl of Wessex.
(c) Dr. Freud.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His appointees.
(c) Monastic intrigue.
(d) His phobias.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document is included after the will?
2. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
4. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
5. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
2. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
3. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
4. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
5. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
6. What three people died between 888 and 890?
7. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
8. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
9. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
10. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)