|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) Neighboring monasteries.
(b) The poor.
(c) The school.
(d) His monasteries.
2. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
(b) Pope Manius.
3. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) The school.
(d) The poor.
4. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
(a) Pope Leo.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) St. Francis of Assisi.
5. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
(a) Attacks by foreign peoples.
(b) Assassination attempts.
(c) Severe depression.
(d) Fear of the unknown future.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
2. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
3. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. What is the next document?
5. Whose will is included?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
2. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
3. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
4. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
5. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
6. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's Dialogues to King Alfred?
7. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
8. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
9. What three people died between 888 and 890?
10. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)