|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
2. What was the second work translated?
(a) Explanation of Nobility.
(b) Discourse on Faith.
(c) Understanding of Psychology.
(d) Consolation of Philosophy.
3. Who wrote the psalms?
4. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Francis's.
(b) Thomas Aquinas's.
(c) Pope Gregory's.
(d) St. Augustine's.
5. The first part of the code is from whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
2. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
3. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
4. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
5. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
2. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
4. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
5. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
6. Who joined forces when the Vikings were attacking the Franks?
7. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
8. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
9. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
10. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)