|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To simply its explanations for the common man.
(b) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
(c) To create a better picture of the history of England.
(d) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
2. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The poor.
(b) The immigrants.
(c) The religious.
(d) The uneducated.
3. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
4. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Angles.
(d) The Franks.
5. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
(a) The witnesses.
(b) The conditions.
(c) The date.
(d) The circumstances.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
2. What king died in 890?
3. When was the next document produced?
4. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
5. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
2. Who swore oaths to King Alfred in 893? What happened when the Vikings split into roving bands that same year?
3. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
4. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
5. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
6. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
7. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
8. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
9. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)