|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
(b) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
(c) He was an ordained priest.
(d) He was exceptionally religious.
2. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
3. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(b) Pope Gregory.
(d) Pope Manius.
4. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Francis's.
(b) Pope Gregory's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) St. Augustine's.
5. When was the next document produced?
(c) The exact date is not known.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
2. The second part of the code is from whom?
3. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
4. How many candles did Alfred have made?
5. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major challenges did Alfred face during his reign?
2. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's Dialogues?
3. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's Pastoral Care.
4. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
5. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
6. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
7. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
8. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
9. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
10. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)