|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) The school.
(d) The poor.
2. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
3. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His father.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His brother.
(d) His sister.
4. When was the next document produced?
(d) The exact date is not known.
5. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Angles.
(d) The Franks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
2. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
3. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
4. The second part of the code is from whom?
5. What document is included after the will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final document in King Alfred the Great?
2. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's Soliloquies.
3. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
4. What is the significance of Alfred's will? Why did his will cause a rebellion against Edward just after Alfred died?
5. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
7. What did Alfred do with the second part of his money?
8. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
9. Where did the Vikings go in 896? What happened?
10. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)