|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
2. Who was the king of the Vikings?
3. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
4. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
5. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
2. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
3. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
4. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
5. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
2. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
3. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
4. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
5. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
6. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
7. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
10. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)