|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) The northern English countryside.
(c) It is not known where he was.
(d) London, England.
2. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
3. What career did Asser have?
4. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) Alfred summoned him.
(b) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
(c) Asser petitioned him.
(d) They were childhood friends.
5. What kingdom was Asser from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
2. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
3. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
4. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
5. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Easter in 878?
2. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
5. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
6. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
7. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
10. Who was Asser?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)