|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
2. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
(b) Seduce him.
(c) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
(d) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
3. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
4. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(a) The middle child.
(c) The third child.
5. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Louis the XVI.
(c) Charles the Bald.
(d) Jason of the Argonauts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
2. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
3. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
4. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
5. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
2. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
3. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
5. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
6. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
7. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
8. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
9. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
10. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)