|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
2. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
3. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
4. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
(a) Jason the Argonaut.
(b) Catherine the Peaceful.
(c) Charles the Bald.
(d) Louis the Educated.
5. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(b) King David.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
2. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
3. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
4. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
5. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
2. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
3. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
7. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
10. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)