|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 893-899 A.D.
(b) 871-899 A.D.
(c) 871-901 A.D.
(d) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
2. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
(a) The East Angles.
(b) The Northern Celts.
(c) The Scots.
(d) The West Saxons.
3. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
4. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Blessed his military activities.
(b) Ordained him as a priest.
(c) Ex-communicate him.
(d) Anointed him as king.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
2. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
3. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
4. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
5. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
2. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
3. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
5. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
6. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
7. Who was Asser?
8. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
9. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
10. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)