|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Inglid's brother?
2. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
3. What did Asser later become?
(a) A literary publisher.
(b) A university dean.
(c) A bishop.
(d) A royal court attendant.
4. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
5. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
(a) A bust.
(b) A biography.
(c) A museum.
(d) An oil painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
2. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
3. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
4. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
5. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
2. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
3. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
4. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
5. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
6. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
7. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
8. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
9. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
10. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)