Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Northumbrians.
(d) The Mercians.
2. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(b) The Welsh Chronicle.
(c) The New British Chronicle.
(d) The Wessex Chronicle.
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) In the northern English countryside.
(b) On the Rhein.
(c) In Stratford upon Avon.
(d) On the Thames.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
2. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
3. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
4. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
5. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
2. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
3. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
4. What did Alfred do with the revenues he received?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. What is the final document in <i>King Alfred</i> the Great?
7. How were people who were disobedient to Alfred handled?
8. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
9. Explain Asser's dedication in his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>.
10. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)