|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kingdom was Asser from?
2. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) On the Rhein.
(b) On the Thames.
(c) In Stratford upon Avon.
(d) In the northern English countryside.
3. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
4. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
5. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
2. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
3. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
4. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
5. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
2. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
3. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
4. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
5. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
6. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
7. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
8. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
9. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
10. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)