|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
(a) Pope Marinus baptized Alfred into the Roman Catholic Church.
(b) They were friends.
(c) Alfred went to school with Marinus before he became pope.
(d) Pope Marinus was Alfred's spiritual advisor.
2. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
3. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The Wessex Annals.
(b) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(c) The England Annals.
(d) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
4. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
5. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The New British Chronicle.
(b) The Wessex Chronicle.
(c) The Welsh Chronicle.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
2. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
3. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
4. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
5. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
2. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
3. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
4. Who was Asser?
5. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
6. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
7. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
8. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
9. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
10. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)