|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
2. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) The northern English countryside.
(b) An obscure part of Wales.
(c) London, England.
(d) It is not known where he was.
3. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(b) Overly formal.
4. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
5. What kingdom was Asser from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
2. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
3. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
4. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
5. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
2. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
3. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
4. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
5. Explain the translation of St. Augustine's <i>Soliloquies</i>.
6. Explain Asser's dedication in his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>.
7. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
8. Describe the Alfred Jewel.
9. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
10. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)