|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
(b) 871-901 A.D.
(c) 871-899 A.D.
(d) 893-899 A.D.
2. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
(a) In his journals.
(b) In his autobiography.
(c) In the Life of King Alfred.
(d) In a letter about Life of King Alfred.
3. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(d) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
4. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The England Annals.
(b) The Wessex Annals.
(c) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
5. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
Short Answer Questions
1. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
2. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
3. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
4. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
5. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
2. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
3. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
4. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
5. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
6. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
7. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
8. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
9. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
10. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)