|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) His cousin.
(b) The local nobility.
(c) His brother.
2. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(c) Overly formal.
3. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
4. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) Not until the last fifty years or so.
(b) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(c) Before the fifteenth century.
(d) After the sixteenth century.
5. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
(a) Severe depression and anxiety.
(b) It was an unknown illness.
(d) Makola disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
2. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
3. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
4. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
5. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
2. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
3. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
4. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
5. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
6. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
7. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
8. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
9. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
10. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)