|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A fortress.
(b) An abbey.
(c) A church.
(d) A university.
2. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Scots.
(b) To the Northumbrians.
(c) To the Celts.
(d) Back to their homeland.
3. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Northumbrians.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Mercians.
(d) The Angles.
4. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
5. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) On the Thames.
(b) In the northern English countryside.
(c) On the Rhein.
(d) In Stratford upon Avon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
2. What kingdom was Asser from?
3. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
4. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
5. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
2. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
3. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
4. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
5. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
6. Describe Alfred's youth.
7. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
8. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
9. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
10. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)