|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) On the Rhein.
(b) In the northern English countryside.
(c) On the Thames.
(d) In Stratford upon Avon.
2. When did Asser die?
(d) The exact date of his death is not known.
3. When did Pope Marinus die?
4. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Whatever books were on hand.
(b) Books on history and politics.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Works of Shakespeare.
5. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(b) Library system; public education.
(c) Navy; Empire.
(d) Police force; Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
2. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
3. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
4. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
5. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Easter in 878?
2. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
3. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
4. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
5. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
6. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
7. Describe Alfred's youth.
8. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
9. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
10. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)