|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
2. What is the origin of Asser's name?
3. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
4. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Books on history and politics.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Whatever books were on hand.
(d) The Works of Shakespeare.
5. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
2. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
3. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
4. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
5. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Easter in 878?
2. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
3. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
5. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
6. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
7. Who was Asser?
8. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
9. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
10. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)