|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) The northern English countryside.
(c) It is not known where he was.
(d) London, England.
2. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
(a) The Journals of Pope Gregory.
(b) On the Sanctity of Marriage.
(c) Death and Dying.
(d) Pastoral Care.
3. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's siblings.
(b) Alfred's childhood.
(c) Alfred's mother's family.
(d) Alfred's birth.
4. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
(a) They lost horribly.
(b) There was no clear winner.
(c) They were turned back.
(d) They were victorious.
5. When was Alfred the Great born?
(a) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
2. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
3. When did Asser die?
4. Who was Inglid's brother?
5. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
2. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
3. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
4. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
5. What happened on Easter in 878?
6. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
7. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
8. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
9. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
10. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)