|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
2. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(b) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
(c) The impact of the invasions in England.
(d) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
3. What is the origin of Asser's name?
4. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Anointed him as king.
(b) Blessed his military activities.
(c) Ex-communicate him.
(d) Ordained him as a priest.
5. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
(a) Law books.
(b) Translations of the Holy Bible.
(d) A census.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
2. Who was Inglid's brother?
3. When was Alfred the Great born?
4. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
5. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
2. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
3. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
4. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
5. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
6. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
7. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
8. Who was Asser?
9. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
10. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)