|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
2. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(d) King David.
3. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
4. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) South to the father, north to the son.
(b) West to the father, east to the son.
(c) East to the father, west to the son.
(d) North to the father, south to the son.
5. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(b) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Asser die?
2. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
3. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
4. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
5. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's <i>Pastoral Care</i>.
2. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
3. Why was Asser's <i>Life of King Alfred</i> never intended to be circulated?
4. Why does King Alfred alter passages of Boethius's <i>Consolation of Philosophy</i>? What do these alterations reveal about Alfred?
5. What is a charter in Anglo-Saxon terms? How many survive from the Anglo-Saxon period?
6. Why was Alfred so careful about his financial affairs?
7. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
8. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
9. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
10. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)