|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the king of the Vikings?
2. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
3. Where were the Vikings in 855?
4. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
5. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
(a) It is unclear.
(b) From Alfred himself.
(c) From his days at university.
(d) Through friends and family members of Alfred the Great.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
2. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
3. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
4. What did Asser later become?
5. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
2. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
3. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
4. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
5. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
6. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
7. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
8. Describe Alfred's youth.
9. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
10. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)