|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
2. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) It is not known where he was.
(c) The northern English countryside.
(d) London, England.
3. Where were the Vikings in 855?
4. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(b) The laws of England.
(c) A rudimentary phone book.
(d) An account of the founding of London.
5. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
(a) A census.
(b) Law books.
(d) Translations of the Holy Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
2. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
3. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Who was Inglid's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
2. Describe Alfred's youth.
3. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
4. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
5. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
6. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
7. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
8. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
9. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
10. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)