|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
2. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
3. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
4. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) The northern English countryside.
(c) It is not known where he was.
(d) London, England.
5. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
2. What did Asser later become?
3. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
4. Who was the king of the Vikings?
5. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
2. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
3. Describe Alfred's youth.
4. What happened on Easter in 878?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
7. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
8. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
9. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
10. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)