|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) His cousin.
(c) The local nobility.
(d) His brother.
2. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) London, England.
(c) It is not known where he was.
(d) The northern English countryside.
3. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
(a) He could not find a publisher.
(b) It was never finished.
(c) It was too expensive to print.
(d) He knew Alfred would not approve.
4. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
(a) For spiritual advantages.
(b) For a formal education.
(c) Because of his bad behavior.
(d) For royal training.
5. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) On the Thames.
(b) In the northern English countryside.
(c) On the Rhein.
(d) In Stratford upon Avon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
2. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
3. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
4. What did Asser later become?
5. When was Alfred the Great born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
2. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
3. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
4. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
5. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
6. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
7. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
8. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
9. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
10. Who was Alfred's father? How far back is his lineage traced on his father's side?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)