|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
(b) Aethelred's cousin.
(c) Aethelred's son.
(d) Alfred's son.
2. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
(b) 871-899 A.D.
(c) 893-899 A.D.
(d) 871-901 A.D.
3. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A university.
(c) An abbey.
(d) A church.
4. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) East to the father, west to the son.
(b) North to the father, south to the son.
(c) West to the father, east to the son.
(d) South to the father, north to the son.
5. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
2. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
3. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
4. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
5. When did Asser die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
2. What is the penultimate document? What are double acrostics?
3. Explain the preface of the translation of Pope Gregory's <i>Pastoral Care</i>.
4. What did one historian theorize about Asser's <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
5. What is the significance of Pope Gregory's <i>Dialogues</i> to King Alfred?
6. When did Alfred die? How long did he rule?
7. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
8. What did Alfred promise to God's service?
9. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
10. What is Bishop Wulfsige's preface to the translation of Gregory's <i>Dialogues</i>?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)