|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
2. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
(a) The Celts.
(b) The Welsh.
(c) The Angles.
(d) The Saxons.
3. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
(b) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
(c) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
(d) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
4. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(b) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(c) The Wessex Annals.
(d) The England Annals.
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
2. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
3. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
4. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
5. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
2. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
3. Who are at least three rulers who share Alfred's title of "the Great?"
4. Where does most of what we know about Alfred come from?
5. What happened to Eadburh when her husband, the West Saxon king, died?
6. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
7. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
8. Describe Alfred's youth.
9. What happened to the kingdom of Wessex during King Alfred's reign? What happened as a result?
10. Explain what happened when the Viking army left East Anglia and attacked the West Saxons.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)