|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 880s.
(b) The 860s.
(c) The 870s.
(d) The 890s.
2. When was Alfred the Great born?
(b) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
3. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
4. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
5. What is the origin of Asser's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kingdom was Asser from?
2. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
3. Who was Inglid's brother?
4. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
5. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alfred's youth.
2. Explain Alfred's reform efforts during his reign.
3. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
4. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
5. What did one historian theorize about Asser's Life of King Alfred?
6. What was King Alfred's significance to the kingdom of Wessex?
7. Who was Asser?
8. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
9. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
10. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)