|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Welsh.
(d) The Saxons.
2. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
(a) A museum.
(b) A bust.
(c) A biography.
(d) An oil painting.
3. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(d) None; they were all burned to ashes.
4. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
5. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) An abbey.
(b) A church.
(c) A university.
(d) A fortress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
2. Who was the king of the Vikings?
3. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
4. Where were the Vikings in 855?
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the role that faith played in Alfred's life.
2. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
3. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
4. Why was Alfred sent to Rome? What happened while he was there?
5. Describe Alfred's youth.
6. Explain Asser's dedication in his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>.
7. How did Asser come to know Alfred?
8. What is the purpose of Chapter II?
9. What three people died between 888 and 890?
10. What are the dimensions of the Alfred Jewel?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)