|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
2. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
3. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
4. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
(a) Aethelred's cousin.
(c) Alfred's son.
(d) Aethelred's son.
5. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The Wessex Annals.
(b) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(c) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(d) The England Annals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
2. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
3. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
4. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
5. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Asser?
2. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
3. What three themes characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
4. What audience read Asser's Life of King Alfred?
5. What happened in 886 when the Viking army started attacking again?
6. What happened when the Vikings brought 350 ships to England through the Thames?
7. Describe Alfred's youth.
8. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
9. What happened when Aethelwulf went with Alfred to Rome?
10. What role did education play in Alfred's life during his reign?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)