|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
(a) Local nobility.
(b) Welsh kings.
(d) English kings.
2. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Northumbrians.
(c) The Mercians.
(d) The Saxons.
3. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(b) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the pope do to Alfred?
2. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
3. What is listed in paragraph two?
4. When did Asser die?
5. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the personal struggle Alfred endured during the early part of his life and reign.
2. Why was Asser's Life of King Alfred never intended to be circulated?
3. What kind of style did Asser use in writing his Life of King Alfred?
4. How did Aethelwulf attempt to keep his sons from fighting after his death? What happened when Aethelwulf died?
5. Explain Asser's dedication in his Life of King Alfred.
6. What was the relationship between Asser and Alfred?
7. Who were Alfred's children? What lives did they lead?
8. Into what three periods can Alfred's reign be divided?
9. List at least three events in Alfred's youth that probably influenced him.
10. What was the audience Asser intended for his Life of King Alfred?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)