|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
2. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
3. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) The books it once contained.
(c) Religious culture.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
4. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
5. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
6. What is addressed in the will?
(a) Private property.
(b) Instructions for funeral.
(c) Care of family members.
7. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
8. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The poor.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) The school.
(d) His monasteries.
9. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
(a) King Alfred's promises to his people.
(b) King Alfred's laws.
(c) King Alfred's military interests.
(d) King Alfred's spiritual beliefs.
10. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
(b) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
(c) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
(d) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
11. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
(a) He was King Alfred's mother's nephew.
(b) He was King Alfred's cousin.
(c) He was King Alfred's godfather.
(d) He was King Alfred's godson.
12. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The religious.
(b) The uneducated.
(c) The immigrants.
(d) The poor.
13. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
14. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His cousin.
15. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were battled back by enemy forces.
(b) The winter was too harsh.
(c) They were called away by the king to another area.
(d) They had too few resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many candles did Alfred have made?
2. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
3. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
4. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
5. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)