|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) The birth of Alfred's son.
(b) Alfred's marriage.
(c) Where Asser's writing left off.
(d) The death of Asser.
2. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
(a) A dedication.
(b) A letter to readers.
(c) An introduction.
(d) An addendum.
3. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were battled back by enemy forces.
(b) They were called away by the king to another area.
(c) They had too few resources.
(d) The winter was too harsh.
4. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
(a) Asser's interviews with members of his court.
(b) Alfred's private journals.
(c) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(d) The Wessex Chronicle.
5. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
(a) Alfred and the Welsh.
(b) The Franks and Bavarians.
(c) The Franks and Celts.
(d) The Celts and Bavarians.
6. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
7. What document is included after the will?
(a) A list of King Alfred's properties.
(b) A treaty.
(c) A charter.
(d) Another will.
8. When Alfred received revenues, he apportioned much of it to ______ affairs.
9. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Francis's.
(b) St. Augustine's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) Pope Gregory's.
10. What king died in 890?
(a) The western king.
(b) The southern king.
(c) The eastern king.
(d) The northern king.
11. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
12. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
(a) The conditions.
(b) The date.
(c) The circumstances.
(d) The witnesses.
13. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) Pastoral Care.
(b) Dialogues on Faith.
(c) The Catholic Catechism.
(d) On Prayer.
14. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(a) Across Europe.
15. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Franks.
(c) The Saxons.
(d) The Celts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
2. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
3. What was the second work translated?
4. What appeared at Easter in 891?
5. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)