|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
2. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
(a) An estate.
(b) A wife.
(c) A neighboring kingdom.
(d) A portion of the kingdom.
3. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The school.
(b) His monasteries.
(c) Neighboring monasteries.
(d) The poor.
4. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(a) Pope Gregory.
(d) Pope Manius.
5. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
(a) The Franks and Celts.
(b) The Celts and Bavarians.
(c) The Franks and Bavarians.
(d) Alfred and the Welsh.
6. How many candles did Alfred have made?
7. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
8. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(b) Saving for an inheritance.
(c) Spending it for his subjects.
(d) Giving to charity.
9. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were battled back by enemy forces.
(b) The winter was too harsh.
(c) They had too few resources.
(d) They were called away by the king to another area.
10. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At cathedrals.
(b) At cemeteries.
(c) At relics.
(d) In his private prayer chapel.
11. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The religious.
(b) The immigrants.
(c) The uneducated.
(d) The poor.
12. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
13. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
14. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Saxons.
(d) The Franks.
15. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
(a) Pope Leo.
(b) St. Francis of Assisi.
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is addressed in the will?
2. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
4. What was the second work translated?
5. Whose <i>Soliloquies</i> did Alfred translate?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)