|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
(a) A neighboring kingdom.
(b) An estate.
(c) A portion of the kingdom.
(d) A wife.
2. What bishop translated a work by Pope Gregory for King Alfred?
3. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The poor.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) The school.
(d) His monasteries.
4. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) Pastoral Care.
(b) On Prayer.
(c) The Catholic Catechism.
(d) Dialogues on Faith.
5. Who wrote the psalms?
6. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
7. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Pope Manius.
8. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
9. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
(b) He was an ordained priest.
(c) He was exceptionally religious.
(d) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
10. When was the next document produced?
(c) The exact date is not known.
11. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His parties.
(b) His hobbies.
(c) His accomplishments.
(d) His family.
12. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His brother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
13. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(b) Monastic intrigue.
(c) His phobias.
(d) His appointees.
14. The first part of the code is from whom?
15. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
(a) It was a childhood favorite.
(b) It was a gift from his father.
(c) It focused on the traits needed for men in government.
(d) It was recommended to him by Asser.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
2. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
3. The second part of the code is from whom?
4. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
5. What is the next document?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)