|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
2. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
(a) He was King Alfred's mother's nephew.
(b) He was King Alfred's godfather.
(c) He was King Alfred's cousin.
(d) He was King Alfred's godson.
3. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
(a) Pope Gregory.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
(c) Pope Leo.
(d) St. Francis of Assisi.
4. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
5. The second part of the code is from whom?
6. Who wrote the psalms?
7. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
8. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) In response to a request from Alfred.
(b) To touch base.
(c) As a thank you for a gift.
(d) As a request for sanctuary.
9. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The school.
(b) His monasteries.
(c) Neighboring monasteries.
(d) The poor.
10. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The immigrants.
(b) The religious.
(c) The uneducated.
(d) The poor.
11. What was the second work translated?
(a) Consolation of Philosophy.
(b) Explanation of Nobility.
(c) Discourse on Faith.
(d) Understanding of Psychology.
12. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(d) Across Europe.
13. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
14. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(b) Pope Gregory.
(d) Pope Manius.
15. How many candles did Alfred have made?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
2. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
3. What is addressed in the will?
4. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
5. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)