|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) The death of Asser.
(b) The birth of Alfred's son.
(c) Alfred's marriage.
(d) Where Asser's writing left off.
2. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
(a) The witnesses.
(b) The conditions.
(c) The circumstances.
(d) The date.
3. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
4. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
5. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) Thomas Aquinas's.
(b) St. Augustine's.
(c) Pope Gregory's.
(d) St. Francis's.
6. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
7. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To simply its explanations for the common man.
(b) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
(c) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
(d) To create a better picture of the history of England.
8. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His family.
(b) His hobbies.
(c) His accomplishments.
(d) His parties.
9. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
10. When was the next document produced?
(b) The exact date is not known.
11. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
12. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
13. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(b) Monastic intrigue.
(c) His appointees.
(d) His phobias.
14. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(b) Old English.
15. The first part of the code is from whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
2. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
3. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
4. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
5. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)