|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(a) Pope Manius.
(c) Pope Gregory.
2. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
3. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His hobbies.
(b) His family.
(c) His accomplishments.
(d) His parties.
4. Whose <i>Soliloquies</i> did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) Pope Gregory's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) St. Francis's.
5. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
(b) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
(c) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
(d) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
6. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
7. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) The poor.
(c) The school.
(d) Neighboring monasteries.
8. The second part of the code is from whom?
9. What is included in Chapter IV that is from the Bible?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) The Sermon on the Mount.
(c) The Beatitudes.
(d) The lineage of King David.
10. What is the next document?
(a) A debate.
(b) A treaty.
(c) A transcription from a conversation.
(d) A letter.
11. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
12. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) <i>The Catholic Book of Prayer.</i>
(b) <i>The Gospels.</i>
(c) <i>The Psalter.</i>
(d) <i>The New Testament.</i>
13. What document is included after the will?
(a) A charter.
(b) A treaty.
(c) Another will.
(d) A list of King Alfred's properties.
14. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) A solar eclipse.
(b) A lunar eclipse.
(c) A comet.
(d) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
15. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(a) Saving for an inheritance.
(b) Spending it for his subjects.
(d) Giving to charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
2. Who wrote the psalms?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. Whose will is included?
5. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)