|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(d) Old English.
2. The second part of the code is from whom?
3. Who wrote the psalms?
4. When Alfred received revenues, he apportioned much of it to ______ affairs.
5. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) Straight to his family.
(b) Straight to the military.
(c) Straight to God.
(d) Straight to the people.
6. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
7. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
8. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(a) Spending it for his subjects.
(c) Giving to charity.
(d) Saving for an inheritance.
9. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) St. Francis's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) Pope Gregory's.
10. When was the next document produced?
(c) The exact date is not known.
11. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) Pastoral Care.
(b) Dialogues on Faith.
(c) The Catholic Catechism.
(d) On Prayer.
12. What was the second work translated?
(a) Explanation of Nobility.
(b) Consolation of Philosophy.
(c) Discourse on Faith.
(d) Understanding of Psychology.
13. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To create a better picture of the history of England.
(b) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
(c) To simply its explanations for the common man.
(d) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
14. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(b) Across Europe.
15. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His family.
(b) His accomplishments.
(c) His parties.
(d) His hobbies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
2. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
3. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
4. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
5. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)