|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
2. How many Viking armies did the Northumbrians and East Angles fight?
3. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
4. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
5. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
6. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At cemeteries.
(b) At relics.
(c) At cathedrals.
(d) In his private prayer chapel.
7. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) <i>Lady Philosophy.</i>
(b) <i>The Virgin Mary.</i>
(c) <i>Dr. Freud.</i>
(d) <i>The Earl of Wessex.</i>
8. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
9. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
10. How many candles did Alfred have made?
11. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
12. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) <i>The Catholic Catechism.</i>
(b) <i>Pastoral Care</i>.
(c) <i>Dialogues on Faith.</i>
(d) <i>On Prayer.</i>
13. The first part of the code is from whom?
14. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
15. What is addressed in the will?
(a) Instructions for funeral.
(c) Care of family members.
(d) Private property.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
2. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
3. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
4. What appeared at Easter in 891?
5. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)