|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(b) The books it once contained.
(c) Spiritual enlightenment.
(d) Religious culture.
2. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
(a) It focused on the traits needed for men in government.
(b) It was a gift from his father.
(c) It was recommended to him by Asser.
(d) It was a childhood favorite.
3. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The poor.
(b) The immigrants.
(c) The uneducated.
(d) The religious.
4. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
(c) Pope Manius.
5. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
(a) Spiritual consolation.
(b) Interpersonal communication skills.
(d) Personal edification.
6. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
(a) King Alfred's promises to his people.
(b) King Alfred's military interests.
(c) King Alfred's laws.
(d) King Alfred's spiritual beliefs.
7. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
8. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
(b) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
(c) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
(d) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
9. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) A lunar eclipse.
(b) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
(c) A solar eclipse.
(d) A comet.
10. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To create a better picture of the history of England.
(b) To simply its explanations for the common man.
(c) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
(d) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
11. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The poor.
(b) The school.
(c) Neighboring monasteries.
(d) His monasteries.
12. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He was an ordained priest.
(b) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
(c) He was exceptionally religious.
(d) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
13. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
14. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) Where Asser's writing left off.
(b) The birth of Alfred's son.
(c) The death of Asser.
(d) Alfred's marriage.
15. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) In response to a request from Alfred.
(b) As a request for sanctuary.
(c) To touch base.
(d) As a thank you for a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
2. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
3. What is the next document?
4. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
5. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)