|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) The school.
(c) Neighboring monasteries.
(d) The poor.
2. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
3. How many candles did Alfred have made?
4. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) Neighboring monasteries.
(b) His monasteries.
(c) The poor.
(d) The school.
5. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
(b) Upon Alfred's death.
6. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His phobias.
(c) His appointees.
(d) Monastic intrigue.
7. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) Spiritual enlightenment.
(c) Religious culture.
(d) The books it once contained.
8. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were called away by the king to another area.
(b) The winter was too harsh.
(c) They had too few resources.
(d) They were battled back by enemy forces.
9. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
(a) The conditions.
(b) The circumstances.
(c) The date.
(d) The witnesses.
10. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
(a) It was recommended to him by Asser.
(b) It was a gift from his father.
(c) It was a childhood favorite.
(d) It focused on the traits needed for men in government.
11. What king died in 890?
(a) The eastern king.
(b) The northern king.
(c) The southern king.
(d) The western king.
12. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His brother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
13. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
14. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
(b) A solar eclipse.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A comet.
15. The second part of the code is from whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
2. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
3. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
4. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
5. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)