|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose will is included?
(a) Alfred's father's.
(b) King Alfred's.
(c) Alfred's brother's.
(d) Alfred's mother's.
2. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
(a) It focused on the traits needed for men in government.
(b) It was a gift from his father.
(c) It was a childhood favorite.
(d) It was recommended to him by Asser.
3. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) The Psalter.
(b) The Catholic Book of Prayer.
(c) The New Testament.
(d) The Gospels.
4. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
5. What is addressed in the will?
(a) Instructions for funeral.
(b) Care of family members.
(d) Private property.
6. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(a) Spending it for his subjects.
(b) Giving to charity.
(c) Saving for an inheritance.
7. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
8. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
9. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
(a) Pope Manius.
10. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
11. How many candles did Alfred have made?
12. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) The birth of Alfred's son.
(b) Alfred's marriage.
(c) Where Asser's writing left off.
(d) The death of Asser.
13. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
14. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
(a) He was King Alfred's godfather.
(b) He was King Alfred's godson.
(c) He was King Alfred's cousin.
(d) He was King Alfred's mother's nephew.
15. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The school.
(b) Neighboring monasteries.
(c) His monasteries.
(d) The poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
2. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
3. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
5. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)