|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
2. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) The Catholic Catechism.
(b) On Prayer.
(c) Dialogues on Faith.
(d) Pastoral Care.
3. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
(a) A portion of the kingdom.
(b) A neighboring kingdom.
(c) An estate.
(d) A wife.
4. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) In response to a request from Alfred.
(b) To touch base.
(c) As a thank you for a gift.
(d) As a request for sanctuary.
5. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(c) Old English.
6. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) Lady Philosophy.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) The Earl of Wessex.
(d) Dr. Freud.
7. The second part of the code is from whom?
8. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His parties.
(b) His family.
(c) His accomplishments.
(d) His hobbies.
9. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
10. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were battled back by enemy forces.
(b) They had too few resources.
(c) They were called away by the king to another area.
(d) The winter was too harsh.
11. What did Alfred focus on the care of?
(a) The religious.
(b) The uneducated.
(c) The poor.
(d) The immigrants.
12. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
13. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His phobias.
(b) Monastic intrigue.
(d) His appointees.
14. The Vikings split up into roving ______.
15. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
2. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
3. Where did the fourth portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
4. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
5. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)