|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the psalms?
2. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
3. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) Lady Philosophy.
(b) The Earl of Wessex.
(c) Dr. Freud.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
4. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(c) Old English.
5. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
6. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
(a) The Franks and Celts.
(b) Alfred and the Welsh.
(c) The Franks and Bavarians.
(d) The Celts and Bavarians.
7. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) A lunar eclipse.
(b) A comet.
(c) A solar eclipse.
(d) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
8. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) The Catholic Book of Prayer.
(b) The New Testament.
(c) The Gospels.
(d) The Psalter.
9. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His phobias.
(b) His appointees.
(d) Monastic intrigue.
10. What was the second work translated?
(a) Explanation of Nobility.
(b) Understanding of Psychology.
(c) Discourse on Faith.
(d) Consolation of Philosophy.
11. What aspect of the document included after the will is particularly interesting?
(a) The witnesses.
(b) The date.
(c) The conditions.
(d) The circumstances.
12. What document is included after the will?
(a) Another will.
(b) A treaty.
(c) A charter.
(d) A list of King Alfred's properties.
13. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
(a) Severe depression.
(b) Fear of the unknown future.
(c) Assassination attempts.
(d) Attacks by foreign peoples.
14. The first part of the code is from whom?
15. What is the next document?
(a) A transcription from a conversation.
(b) A debate.
(c) A treaty.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
2. When was the next document produced?
3. Whose will is included?
4. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
5. What is included in Chapter IV that is from the Bible?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)