|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
2. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He was an ordained priest.
(b) He was exceptionally religious.
(c) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
(d) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
3. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They were battled back by enemy forces.
(b) They had too few resources.
(c) The winter was too harsh.
(d) They were called away by the king to another area.
4. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) The Gospels.
(b) The Psalter.
(c) The Catholic Book of Prayer.
(d) The New Testament.
5. Whose will is included?
(a) King Alfred's.
(b) Alfred's mother's.
(c) Alfred's brother's.
(d) Alfred's father's.
6. The next document is between Alfred the Great and ______.
7. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(a) Old English.
8. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) A solar eclipse.
(b) A lunar eclipse.
(c) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
(d) A comet.
9. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
10. Who sent a letter to Alfred around 886?
(a) Pope Manius.
11. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
12. Where did the third portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) The poor.
(c) The school.
(d) Neighboring monasteries.
13. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
14. When was the next document produced?
(c) The exact date is not known.
15. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) To touch base.
(b) As a thank you for a gift.
(c) In response to a request from Alfred.
(d) As a request for sanctuary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
2. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
3. What is the next document?
4. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
5. What king died in 890?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)