|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is discussed in the first part of Chapter IV?
(a) King Alfred's promises to his people.
(b) King Alfred's military interests.
(c) King Alfred's spiritual beliefs.
(d) King Alfred's laws.
2. How many candles did Alfred have made?
3. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
4. How many years did Alfred the Great rule?
5. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
(a) An addendum.
(b) A dedication.
(c) An introduction.
(d) A letter to readers.
6. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
(a) Severe depression.
(b) Attacks by foreign peoples.
(c) Assassination attempts.
(d) Fear of the unknown future.
7. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His sister.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
8. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) Spiritual enlightenment.
(b) The books it once contained.
(d) Religious culture.
9. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) Where Asser's writing left off.
(b) The death of Asser.
(c) Alfred's marriage.
(d) The birth of Alfred's son.
10. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
11. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(a) Across Europe.
12. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
(a) St. Francis of Assisi.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Pope Leo.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
13. What was the first work that Alfred the Great had translated for himself?
(a) Dialogues on Faith.
(b) The Catholic Catechism.
(c) Pastoral Care.
(d) On Prayer.
14. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
15. Who was rebelled against just after Alfred died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose will is included?
2. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
3. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
4. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
5. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)