|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appeared at Easter in 891?
(a) An image of the Virgin Mary in the sky.
(b) A comet.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A solar eclipse.
2. What is addressed in the will?
(a) Instructions for funeral.
(b) Care of family members.
(d) Private property.
3. Who wrote the psalms?
4. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) The Earl of Wessex.
(c) Dr. Freud.
(d) Lady Philosophy.
5. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(a) Saving for an inheritance.
(b) Giving to charity.
(d) Spending it for his subjects.
6. What relationship did Alfred have with the king who died in 890?
(a) He was King Alfred's mother's nephew.
(b) He was King Alfred's godson.
(c) He was King Alfred's cousin.
(d) He was King Alfred's godfather.
7. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(c) Across Europe.
8. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) Monastic intrigue.
(b) His phobias.
(d) His appointees.
9. What bishop translated a work by Pope Gregory for King Alfred?
10. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) Straight to the military.
(b) Straight to God.
(c) Straight to the people.
(d) Straight to his family.
11. What benefit did the translations have for Alfred the Great?
(a) Spiritual consolation.
(b) Personal edification.
(d) Interpersonal communication skills.
12. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) As a thank you for a gift.
(b) To touch base.
(c) As a request for sanctuary.
(d) In response to a request from Alfred.
13. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
(b) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
(c) To create a better picture of the history of England.
(d) To simply its explanations for the common man.
14. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
(a) A letter to readers.
(b) An introduction.
(c) An addendum.
(d) A dedication.
15. When was the next document produced?
(c) The exact date is not known.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
2. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
3. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
4. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
5. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)