|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) His monasteries.
(b) The poor.
(c) Neighboring monasteries.
(d) The school.
2. Where did the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) Straight to God.
(b) Straight to his family.
(c) Straight to the military.
(d) Straight to the people.
3. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
(a) They had too few resources.
(b) They were called away by the king to another area.
(c) The winter was too harsh.
(d) They were battled back by enemy forces.
4. Who told Alfred to have works recorded and translated?
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Pope Manius.
5. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
6. Who wrote the psalms?
7. What king died in 890?
(a) The northern king.
(b) The western king.
(c) The eastern king.
(d) The southern king.
8. The first part of the code is from whom?
9. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(d) Across Europe.
10. When Alfred received revenues, he apportioned much of it to ______ affairs.
11. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Francis's.
(b) St. Augustine's.
(c) Pope Gregory's.
(d) Thomas Aquinas's.
12. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His appointees.
(c) His phobias.
(d) Monastic intrigue.
13. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
14. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) The birth of Alfred's son.
(b) Alfred's marriage.
(c) The death of Asser.
(d) Where Asser's writing left off.
15. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(d) Old English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
2. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
3. Why did Alfred chose the work he did to be the first to be translated for himself?
4. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
5. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)