|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alfred contribute to the translation of Pope Gregory's work?
(a) An introduction.
(b) A letter to readers.
(c) A dedication.
(d) An addendum.
2. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
3. The first part of the code is from whom?
4. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) The books it once contained.
(c) Religious culture.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
5. Who wrote the psalms?
6. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) To touch base.
(b) As a thank you for a gift.
(c) As a request for sanctuary.
(d) In response to a request from Alfred.
7. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
(b) Upon Alfred's death.
8. Whose will is included?
(a) Alfred's father's.
(b) Alfred's mother's.
(c) Alfred's brother's.
(d) King Alfred's.
9. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
(b) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
(c) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
(d) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
10. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
11. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) In his private prayer chapel.
(b) At relics.
(c) At cemeteries.
(d) At cathedrals.
12. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
(a) Alfred's private journals.
(b) The Wessex Chronicle.
(c) Asser's interviews with members of his court.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
13. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(b) His appointees.
(c) Monastic intrigue.
(d) His phobias.
14. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
15. What is the next document?
(a) A debate.
(b) A treaty.
(c) A transcription from a conversation.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
2. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
3. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
4. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
5. What document is included after the will?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)