|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His father.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His brother.
(d) His sister.
2. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
3. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
(a) The Wessex Chronicle.
(b) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(c) Alfred's private journals.
(d) Asser's interviews with members of his court.
4. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
5. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
6. How many sub-chapters are in the code?
7. What document is included after the will?
(a) A treaty.
(b) A list of King Alfred's properties.
(c) A charter.
(d) Another will.
8. Which of the following does Asser NOT discuss about Alfred's reign?
(a) His phobias.
(c) His appointees.
(d) Monastic intrigue.
9. What was Alfred the Great's spiritual life like?
(a) He was an ordained priest.
(b) He respected Christianity, but did not practice it.
(c) He gave appearances of being exceptionally religious, but was an atheist.
(d) He was exceptionally religious.
10. What aspect of his money did Alfred believe God would reward?
(a) Spending it for his subjects.
(b) Giving to charity.
(d) Saving for an inheritance.
11. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At relics.
(b) In his private prayer chapel.
(c) At cathedrals.
(d) At cemeteries.
12. Who wrote the psalms?
13. Who joined forces with the Saxons in 891 to fight the Vikings?
(a) Alfred and the Welsh.
(b) The Franks and Celts.
(c) The Franks and Bavarians.
(d) The Celts and Bavarians.
14. Whose will is included?
(a) Alfred's father's.
(b) Alfred's brother's.
(c) Alfred's mother's.
(d) King Alfred's.
15. Where were the couriers sent in 889?
(b) Across Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
2. What is the name of the relative of Alfred's that died in 888?
3. What appeared at Easter in 891?
4. The first part of the code is from whom?
5. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)