|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the letter sent to Alfred around 886?
(a) As a thank you for a gift.
(b) To touch base.
(c) As a request for sanctuary.
(d) In response to a request from Alfred.
2. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) St. Francis's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) Pope Gregory's.
3. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His hobbies.
(b) His family.
(c) His parties.
(d) His accomplishments.
4. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At relics.
(b) In his private prayer chapel.
(c) At cathedrals.
(d) At cemeteries.
5. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
6. How does Alfred divide the laws the he himself did not write?
(a) Into those he altered and those that remain unaltered.
(b) Into those from the Bible and those from secular sources.
(c) Into those that were conservative and those that were liberal.
(d) Into those he likes and those he does not like.
7. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(d) Old English.
8. Who wrote the psalms?
9. Why did Alfred alter passages in the second work translated?
(a) To protect the nobility from sharing their secrets.
(b) To create a better picture of the history of England.
(c) To generate an explicitly Christian message in it.
(d) To simply its explanations for the common man.
10. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
(a) Fear of the unknown future.
(b) Severe depression.
(c) Attacks by foreign peoples.
(d) Assassination attempts.
11. What document is included after the will?
(a) A charter.
(b) A treaty.
(c) Another will.
(d) A list of King Alfred's properties.
12. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
13. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
(d) Upon Alfred's death.
14. How many couriers did Alfred the Great send out in 889?
15. What king died in 890?
(a) The southern king.
(b) The northern king.
(c) The western king.
(d) The eastern king.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many structures did Alfred the Great build?
2. The document included after the will gives what to Aethelhelm?
3. Whom did the Vikings fight in 890?
4. What work by Pope Gregory did a bishop translate for King Alfred?
5. What is addressed in the will?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)