|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Alfred's final prose translation?
(a) The Psalter.
(b) The Gospels.
(c) The New Testament.
(d) The Catholic Book of Prayer.
2. Where did the story of King Alfred's rule come from?
(a) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(b) The Wessex Chronicle.
(c) Asser's interviews with members of his court.
(d) Alfred's private journals.
3. What relative of Alfred's died in 888?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
4. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
5. What is addressed in the will?
(a) Care of family members.
(b) Private property.
(d) Instructions for funeral.
6. What did Alfred the Great want to restore to England?
(a) The books it once contained.
(b) Religious culture.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
7. In what year did the document included after the will give something to Aethelhelm?
(a) Upon Alfred's death.
8. Where were Alfred's candles burned?
(a) At cemeteries.
(b) In his private prayer chapel.
(c) At relics.
(d) At cathedrals.
9. The first part of the code is from whom?
10. The second work translated was a dialogue between Boethius and ______.
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Dr. Freud.
(c) Lady Philosophy.
(d) The Earl of Wessex.
11. What positive aspects of Alfred the Great's reign did Asser discuss?
(a) His family.
(b) His accomplishments.
(c) His parties.
(d) His hobbies.
12. What was the name of the king who died in 890?
13. Asser employed a translation of the annals from 851 to ______ to compose his book.
14. What was the second work translated?
(a) Explanation of Nobility.
(b) Understanding of Psychology.
(c) Consolation of Philosophy.
(d) Discourse on Faith.
15. What king died in 890?
(a) The northern king.
(b) The southern king.
(c) The eastern king.
(d) The western king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
2. What is included in Chapter IV that is from the Bible?
3. Though Alfred grew in prominence, he was still plagued by what?
4. What is the next document?
5. Where did the second portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)