|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Library system; public education.
(b) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(c) Navy; Empire.
(d) Police force; Empire.
2. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(b) Jason of the Argonauts.
(c) Louis the XVI.
3. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
4. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(a) King David.
5. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
(a) Welsh kings.
(c) English kings.
(d) Local nobility.
6. What career did Asser have?
7. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 871-901 A.D.
(b) 871-899 A.D.
(c) 893-899 A.D.
(d) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
8. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
9. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
10. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(b) None; they were all burned to ashes.
11. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
12. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
13. When was Alfred the Great born?
(a) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
14. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
(a) The East Saxons.
(b) The Northern Angles.
(c) The West Saxons.
(d) The Celts.
15. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
2. What did Asser later become?
3. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
4. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)