|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(d) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
2. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) Alfred's death.
(b) Alfred's alliances with other kings.
(c) Alfred's military activities.
(d) Alfred's childhood.
3. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
(b) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
(c) They continued to be enemies.
(d) They remained friends.
4. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
5. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) South to the father, north to the son.
(b) East to the father, west to the son.
(c) West to the father, east to the son.
(d) North to the father, south to the son.
6. Where were the Vikings in 855?
7. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) A forger.
(c) Alfred himself.
(d) A university professor.
8. When did Pope Marinus die?
9. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
(a) It is unclear.
(b) Through friends and family members of Alfred the Great.
(c) From his days at university.
(d) From Alfred himself.
10. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
11. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A rudimentary phone book.
(b) The laws of England.
(c) An account of the founding of London.
(d) A narrative of the king's military activities.
12. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
13. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Ordained him as a priest.
(b) Blessed his military activities.
(c) Ex-communicate him.
(d) Anointed him as king.
14. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(b) King David.
15. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
2. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
3. What career did Asser have?
4. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
5. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)