|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(d) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
2. What is the origin of Asser's name?
3. Where was Asser from?
(a) St. David's in Wales.
(b) Limerick, Ireland.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Oxford University.
4. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 871-899 A.D.
(b) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
(c) 893-899 A.D.
(d) 871-901 A.D.
5. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
6. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 890s.
(b) The 880s.
(c) The 870s.
(d) The 860s.
7. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
8. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
(a) For spiritual advantages.
(b) For a formal education.
(c) For royal training.
(d) Because of his bad behavior.
9. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
10. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
11. Who was Inglid's brother?
12. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) They remained friends.
(b) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
(c) They continued to be enemies.
(d) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
13. What kingdom was Asser from?
14. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
15. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
(a) Translations of the Holy Bible.
(c) A census.
(d) Law books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
2. What career did Asser have?
3. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
4. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
5. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)