|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
(a) An oil painting.
(b) A bust.
(c) A biography.
(d) A museum.
2. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) After the sixteenth century.
(b) Before the fifteenth century.
(c) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(d) Not until the last fifty years or so.
3. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
(a) That the Vikings would leave.
(b) That the Vikings would become allies.
(c) That the Vikings would invade the Goths.
(d) That the Vikings would disband their army.
4. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(a) The middle child.
(c) The third child.
5. What is the origin of Asser's name?
6. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
7. Where was Asser from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) St. David's in Wales.
(d) Limerick, Ireland.
8. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
9. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
10. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
11. When did Pope Marinus die?
12. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
(c) St. Augustine's.
(d) St. David's.
13. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Library system; public education.
(b) Police force; Empire.
(c) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(d) Navy; Empire.
14. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) His brother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) The local nobility.
15. What kingdom was Asser from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
2. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
3. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
4. Where were the Vikings in 855?
5. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)