|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Asser write his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
2. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
(a) For a formal education.
(b) For spiritual advantages.
(c) Because of his bad behavior.
(d) For royal training.
3. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
4. Who was the king of the Vikings?
5. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A rudimentary phone book.
(b) An account of the founding of London.
(c) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(d) The laws of England.
6. When did Pope Marinus die?
7. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
(a) They were turned back.
(b) They lost horribly.
(c) There was no clear winner.
(d) They were victorious.
8. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Mercians.
(b) The Angles.
(c) The Saxons.
(d) The Northumbrians.
9. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Atkinson's <i>Gift of Stories</i>.
(b) Seagrave's <i>Dragon Lady</i>.
(c) Einhard's <i>Life of Charlemagne</i>.
(d) Tuchman's <i>A Distant Mirror</i>.
10. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
11. Where were the Vikings in 855?
12. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(b) Overly formal.
13. What is the origin of Asser's name?
14. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(b) Louis the XVI.
(c) Charles the Bald.
(d) Jason of the Argonauts.
15. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(a) More than 400.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Asser from?
2. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
5. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)