|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Police force; Empire.
(b) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(c) Library system; public education.
(d) Navy; Empire.
2. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) In the northern English countryside.
(b) In Stratford upon Avon.
(c) On the Rhein.
(d) On the Thames.
3. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) West to the father, east to the son.
(b) South to the father, north to the son.
(c) East to the father, west to the son.
(d) North to the father, south to the son.
4. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
(b) Aethelred's cousin.
(c) Alfred's son.
(d) Aethelred's son.
5. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
6. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
7. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
(b) They continued to be enemies.
(c) They remained friends.
(d) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
8. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Seagrave's <i>Dragon Lady</i>.
(b) Einhard's <i>Life of Charlemagne</i>.
(c) Tuchman's <i>A Distant Mirror</i>.
(d) Atkinson's <i>Gift of Stories</i>.
9. Where did Aethelstan slaughter the Viking army?
10. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
11. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's childhood.
(b) Alfred's mother's family.
(c) Alfred's birth.
(d) Alfred's siblings.
12. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
13. What did Asser later become?
(a) A university dean.
(b) A literary publisher.
(c) A bishop.
(d) A royal court attendant.
14. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Welsh.
(d) The Celts.
15. When did Asser write his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
2. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
3. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
4. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
5. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)