|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) They were childhood friends.
(b) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
(c) Asser petitioned him.
(d) Alfred summoned him.
2. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A church.
(b) A university.
(c) An abbey.
(d) A fortress.
3. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
4. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(b) His cousin.
(c) His brother.
(d) The local nobility.
5. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 893-899 A.D.
(b) 871-899 A.D.
(c) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
(d) 871-901 A.D.
6. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
7. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 870s.
(b) The 890s.
(c) The 880s.
(d) The 860s.
8. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Ex-communicate him.
(b) Ordained him as a priest.
(c) Anointed him as king.
(d) Blessed his military activities.
9. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
10. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
11. What is the origin of Asser's name?
12. When did Pope Marinus die?
13. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) A university professor.
(c) Alfred himself.
(d) A forger.
14. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Northumbrians.
(b) To the Scots.
(c) Back to their homeland.
(d) To the Celts.
15. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) The Works of Shakespeare.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Whatever books were on hand.
(d) Books on history and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
2. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
3. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
4. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
5. Where was Asser from?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)