|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
(a) That the Vikings would disband their army.
(b) That the Vikings would invade the Goths.
(c) That the Vikings would leave.
(d) That the Vikings would become allies.
2. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
3. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred himself.
(b) A forger.
(c) Alfred's sister.
(d) A university professor.
4. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
5. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
6. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
(b) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
(c) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
(d) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
7. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
(a) In a letter about Life of King Alfred.
(b) In the Life of King Alfred.
(c) In his journals.
(d) In his autobiography.
8. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
9. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(a) None; they were all burned to ashes.
10. When did Pope Marinus die?
11. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
(a) An obscure part of Wales.
(b) It is not known where he was.
(c) London, England.
(d) The northern English countryside.
12. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
13. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Northumbrians.
(b) Back to their homeland.
(c) To the Scots.
(d) To the Celts.
14. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
15. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
2. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
3. Where was Alfred the Great sent in 853?
4. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
5. What did the pope do to Alfred?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)