|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's siblings.
(b) Alfred's birth.
(c) Alfred's childhood.
(d) Alfred's mother's family.
2. Who was Inglid's brother?
3. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) An abbey.
(b) A university.
(c) A fortress.
(d) A church.
4. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
(c) St. Augustine's.
(d) St. David's.
5. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
(a) That the Vikings would leave.
(b) That the Vikings would invade the Goths.
(c) That the Vikings would become allies.
(d) That the Vikings would disband their army.
6. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
7. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
8. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 880s.
(b) The 870s.
(c) The 890s.
(d) The 860s.
9. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
10. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
11. When did Pope Marinus die?
12. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Anointed him as king.
(b) Ordained him as a priest.
(c) Ex-communicate him.
(d) Blessed his military activities.
13. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
(a) Pastoral Care.
(b) The Journals of Pope Gregory.
(c) On the Sanctity of Marriage.
(d) Death and Dying.
14. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
(a) The Northern Celts.
(b) The West Saxons.
(c) The East Angles.
(d) The Scots.
15. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king of the Vikings?
2. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
3. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
4. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
5. Where did Aethelstan slaughter the Viking army?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)