|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Pope Marinus die?
2. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(b) King David.
3. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) The Works of Shakespeare.
(b) Books on history and politics.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Whatever books were on hand.
4. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The New British Chronicle.
(b) The Welsh Chronicle.
(c) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(d) The Wessex Chronicle.
5. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
6. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
7. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
8. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) Before the fifteenth century.
(b) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(c) Not until the last fifty years or so.
(d) After the sixteenth century.
9. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
10. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
11. When did Asser die?
(b) The exact date of his death is not known.
12. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
13. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
(a) Pope Marinus was Alfred's spiritual advisor.
(b) They were friends.
(c) Pope Marinus baptized Alfred into the Roman Catholic Church.
(d) Alfred went to school with Marinus before he became pope.
14. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
(b) Asser petitioned him.
(c) Alfred summoned him.
(d) They were childhood friends.
15. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
2. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
3. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
4. Who was Inglid's brother?
5. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)