|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) An abbey.
(b) A university.
(c) A fortress.
(d) A church.
2. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Seduce him.
(b) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
(c) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
(d) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
(b) They remained friends.
(c) They continued to be enemies.
(d) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
5. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) After the sixteenth century.
(b) Before the fifteenth century.
(c) Not until the last fifty years or so.
(d) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
6. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
(a) Imprisoned him.
(b) Freed him.
(c) Baptized him.
(d) Killed him.
7. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
8. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) On the Rhein.
(b) In the northern English countryside.
(c) In Stratford upon Avon.
(d) On the Thames.
9. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(b) Louis the XVI.
(c) Jason of the Argonauts.
10. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
(b) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
(c) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
(d) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
11. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
(a) Jason the Argonaut.
(b) Charles the Bald.
(c) Catherine the Peaceful.
(d) Louis the Educated.
12. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
13. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
14. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A rudimentary phone book.
(b) The laws of England.
(c) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(d) An account of the founding of London.
15. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) Alfred himself.
(c) A university professor.
(d) A forger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
2. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
3. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
4. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
5. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)