|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Northumbrians.
(d) The Mercians.
2. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(b) The Welsh Chronicle.
(c) The New British Chronicle.
(d) The Wessex Chronicle.
3. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) In the northern English countryside.
(b) On the Rhein.
(c) In Stratford upon Avon.
(d) On the Thames.
6. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
(a) Killed him.
(b) Imprisoned him.
(c) Baptized him.
(d) Freed him.
7. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
(a) <i>On the Sanctity of Marriage.</i>
(b) <i>Death and Dying.</i>
(c) <i>Pastoral Care.</i>
(d) <i>The Journals of Pope Gregory.</i>
8. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(a) The third child.
(b) The middle child.
9. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
10. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) The impact of the invasions in England.
(b) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(c) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
(d) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
11. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
(a) That the Vikings would disband their army.
(b) That the Vikings would invade the Goths.
(c) That the Vikings would leave.
(d) That the Vikings would become allies.
12. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
13. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
14. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Library system; public education.
(b) Police force; Empire.
(c) Navy; Empire.
(d) Royal Air Force; colonization.
15. What kingdom was Asser from?
Short Answer Questions
1. One historian theorized that <i>Life of King Alfred</i> was written by whom?
2. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
3. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
4. When did Asser die?
5. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)