|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
(a) Through friends and family members of Alfred the Great.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) From Alfred himself.
(d) From his days at university.
2. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(c) The third child.
(d) The middle child.
3. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
(a) It was an unknown illness.
(c) Makola disease.
(d) Severe depression and anxiety.
4. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(d) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
5. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
6. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
7. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
(a) The Northern Celts.
(b) The Scots.
(c) The East Angles.
(d) The West Saxons.
8. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
9. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
10. What career did Asser have?
11. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
(a) For spiritual advantages.
(b) For a formal education.
(c) For royal training.
(d) Because of his bad behavior.
12. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
(a) Baptized him.
(b) Imprisoned him.
(c) Freed him.
(d) Killed him.
13. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Jason of the Argonauts.
(c) Louis the XVI.
(d) Charles the Bald.
14. What kingdom was Asser from?
15. Where were the Vikings in 855?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alfred build in 878?
2. Who was the king of the Vikings?
3. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
4. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
5. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)