|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
2. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
(a) From his days at university.
(b) Through friends and family members of Alfred the Great.
(c) From Alfred himself.
(d) It is unclear.
3. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
4. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The England Annals.
(b) The Wessex Annals.
(c) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
5. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Angles.
(b) The Mercians.
(c) The Northumbrians.
(d) The Saxons.
6. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A fortress.
(b) An abbey.
(c) A church.
(d) A university.
7. What career did Asser have?
8. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
9. Where were the Vikings in 855?
10. When was Alfred the Great born?
(c) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
11. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
(a) St. David's.
(d) St. Augustine's.
12. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(b) Overly formal.
13. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
14. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(b) The third child.
(d) The middle child.
15. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
2. When did Alfred the Great rule?
3. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
4. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
5. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)