|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(d) None; they were all burned to ashes.
2. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
3. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
(a) He knew Alfred would not approve.
(b) It was too expensive to print.
(c) It was never finished.
(d) He could not find a publisher.
4. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(b) More than 400.
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
6. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
(b) Aethelred's son.
(c) Aethelred's cousin.
(d) Alfred's son.
7. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 870s.
(b) The 880s.
(c) The 890s.
(d) The 860s.
8. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
(b) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
(c) They remained friends.
(d) They continued to be enemies.
9. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(a) Overly formal.
10. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
(a) Law books.
(b) A census.
(c) Translations of the Holy Bible.
11. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
12. When was Alfred the Great born?
(c) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
13. Who was the king of the Vikings?
14. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
(a) A year.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Six months.
15. What is the origin of Asser's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
2. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
3. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
4. What did the pope do to Alfred?
5. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)