|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
2. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(b) Louis the Educated.
(c) Jason the Argonaut.
(d) Catherine the Peaceful.
3. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Jason of the Argonauts.
(b) Louis the XVI.
(c) Charles the Bald.
4. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight months.
5. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
(a) They were turned back.
(b) They lost horribly.
(c) There was no clear winner.
(d) They were victorious.
6. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The New British Chronicle.
(b) The Welsh Chronicle.
(c) The Wessex Chronicle.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
7. Asser probably divided his time between Alfred's kingdom and ______.
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) St. David's.
8. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(b) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
(c) The impact of the invasions in England.
(d) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
9. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
(a) Baptized him.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Freed him.
(d) Imprisoned him.
10. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
(b) Severe depression and anxiety.
(c) Makola disease.
(d) It was an unknown illness.
11. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) They were childhood friends.
(b) Asser petitioned him.
(c) Alfred summoned him.
(d) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
12. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) Alfred's alliances with other kings.
(b) Alfred's childhood.
(c) Alfred's death.
(d) Alfred's military activities.
13. Where did the Vikings spend the winter?
(a) In the northern English countryside.
(b) In Stratford upon Avon.
(c) On the Thames.
(d) On the Rhein.
14. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(d) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
15. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Seduce him.
(b) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
(c) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
(d) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
2. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
3. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
4. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)