|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career did Asser have?
2. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
3. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Mercians.
(b) The Northumbrians.
(c) The Saxons.
(d) The Angles.
4. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
5. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(c) Jason of the Argonauts.
(d) Louis the XVI.
6. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
7. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) South to the father, north to the son.
(b) North to the father, south to the son.
(c) East to the father, west to the son.
(d) West to the father, east to the son.
8. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Angles.
(d) The Welsh.
9. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
(b) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
(c) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
(d) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
10. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) The impact of the invasions in England.
(b) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(c) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
(d) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
11. What audience did Asser have in mind when he wrote his book?
(a) Other kings.
(b) Welsh people.
(c) English people.
(d) Alfred's family.
12. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
(b) They were childhood friends.
(c) Asser petitioned him.
(d) Alfred summoned him.
13. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Navy; Empire.
(b) Library system; public education.
(c) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(d) Police force; Empire.
14. What is the origin of Asser's name?
15. Who was the king of the Vikings?
Short Answer Questions
1. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
2. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
3. What illness did Alfred the Great have when he came into power?
4. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
5. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)