|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
2. Where was Asser from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) St. David's in Wales.
(d) Limerick, Ireland.
3. What new wife did Aethewulf bring from Rome?
4. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
(a) Through friends and family members of Alfred the Great.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) From Alfred himself.
(d) From his days at university.
5. Who was the king of the Vikings?
6. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
7. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) A forger.
(c) Alfred himself.
(d) A university professor.
8. When did Asser die?
(a) The exact date of his death is not known.
9. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(d) More than 400.
10. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) Back to their homeland.
(b) To the Scots.
(c) To the Northumbrians.
(d) To the Celts.
11. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
12. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
(a) The Northern Celts.
(b) The Scots.
(c) The East Angles.
(d) The West Saxons.
13. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
14. When did Pope Marinus die?
15. Where were the Vikings in 855?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
2. What career did Asser have?
3. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
4. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
5. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)