|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
(a) For royal training.
(b) For a formal education.
(c) For spiritual advantages.
(d) Because of his bad behavior.
2. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Whatever books were on hand.
(b) The Works of Shakespeare.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Books on history and politics.
3. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) They were childhood friends.
(b) Alfred summoned him.
(c) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
(d) Asser petitioned him.
4. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(c) More than 400.
5. What did Asser later become?
(a) A bishop.
(b) A university dean.
(c) A literary publisher.
(d) A royal court attendant.
6. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(b) Louis the XVI.
(c) Jason of the Argonauts.
(d) Charles the Bald.
7. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
(b) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
(c) Seduce him.
(d) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
8. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
9. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
(a) The East Saxons.
(b) The Northern Angles.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The West Saxons.
10. One historian theorized that <i>Life of King Alfred</i> was written by whom?
(a) A forger.
(b) Alfred's sister.
(c) A university professor.
(d) Alfred himself.
11. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
(a) Baptized him.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Imprisoned him.
(d) Freed him.
12. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(a) The third child.
(c) The middle child.
13. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) South to the father, north to the son.
(b) East to the father, west to the son.
(c) North to the father, south to the son.
(d) West to the father, east to the son.
14. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
15. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
(a) Welsh kings.
(c) Local nobility.
(d) English kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
2. Who was Inglid's brother?
3. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
4. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
5. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)