|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(b) The laws of England.
(c) A rudimentary phone book.
(d) An account of the founding of London.
2. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
3. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
(a) They were turned back.
(b) They were victorious.
(c) They lost horribly.
(d) There was no clear winner.
4. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) The local nobility.
(b) His brother.
(c) His cousin.
5. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(b) The middle child.
(d) The third child.
6. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(b) The England Annals.
(c) The Wessex Annals.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
7. Where did Aethelstan slaughter the Viking army?
8. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
9. Who was the king of the Vikings?
10. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
(a) The Journals of Pope Gregory.
(b) On the Sanctity of Marriage.
(c) Pastoral Care.
(d) Death and Dying.
11. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(a) None; they were all burned to ashes.
12. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Celts.
(b) Back to their homeland.
(c) To the Scots.
(d) To the Northumbrians.
13. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Anointed him as king.
(b) Ex-communicate him.
(c) Ordained him as a priest.
(d) Blessed his military activities.
14. When did Asser die?
(a) The exact date of his death is not known.
15. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Louis the XVI.
(b) Charles the Bald.
(d) Jason of the Argonauts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Inglid's brother?
2. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
3. When did Pope Marinus die?
4. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
5. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)