|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
2. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
3. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) A rudimentary phone book.
(b) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(c) The laws of England.
(d) An account of the founding of London.
4. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
(b) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
(c) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
(d) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
5. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Books on history and politics.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Whatever books were on hand.
(d) The Works of Shakespeare.
6. Whom did the Vikings attack when they left East Anglia?
(a) The Northern Celts.
(b) The West Saxons.
(c) The East Angles.
(d) The Scots.
7. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) The impact of the invasions in England.
(b) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(c) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
(d) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
8. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Police force; Empire.
(b) Library system; public education.
(c) Navy; Empire.
(d) Royal Air Force; colonization.
9. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
(b) Seduce him.
(c) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
(d) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
10. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
(a) They were victorious.
(b) They lost horribly.
(c) There was no clear winner.
(d) They were turned back.
11. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
(a) The East Saxons.
(b) The Northern Angles.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The West Saxons.
12. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(a) The middle child.
(c) The third child.
13. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Louis the XVI.
(b) Jason of the Argonauts.
(d) Charles the Bald.
14. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
15. What time period is not recorded in Asser's book?
(a) The 870s.
(b) The 880s.
(c) The 860s.
(d) The 890s.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took over when King Aethelred died?
2. What is the origin of Asser's name?
3. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
4. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
5. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)