|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's childhood.
(b) Alfred's birth.
(c) Alfred's mother's family.
(d) Alfred's siblings.
2. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
(a) An oil painting.
(b) A biography.
(c) A museum.
(d) A bust.
3. When did Pope Marinus die?
4. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
(b) None; they were all burned to ashes.
5. Alfred's mother was descended from the ______ and Jutes.
6. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
7. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
8. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
(a) He could not find a publisher.
(b) He knew Alfred would not approve.
(c) It was never finished.
(d) It was too expensive to print.
9. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
(a) The East Saxons.
(b) The West Saxons.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Northern Angles.
10. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
11. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) South to the father, north to the son.
(b) West to the father, east to the son.
(c) East to the father, west to the son.
(d) North to the father, south to the son.
12. When did Asser write his Life of King Alfred?
13. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Whatever books were on hand.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Books on history and politics.
(d) The Works of Shakespeare.
14. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Navy; Empire.
(b) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(c) Police force; Empire.
(d) Library system; public education.
15. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A university.
(c) A church.
(d) An abbey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
2. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
3. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
4. When did Alfred the Great rule?
5. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)