|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
2. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Tuchman's <i>A Distant Mirror</i>.
(b) Seagrave's <i>Dragon Lady</i>.
(c) Einhard's <i>Life of Charlemagne</i>.
(d) Atkinson's <i>Gift of Stories</i>.
3. How did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
(a) Asser petitioned him.
(b) They were childhood friends.
(c) Alfred summoned him.
(d) Asser was assigned to aid him in negotiations.
4. What did Alfred build in 878?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A church.
(c) A university.
(d) An abbey.
5. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(c) Jason of the Argonauts.
(d) Louis the XVI.
6. What career did Asser have?
7. One historian theorized that <i>Life of King Alfred</i> was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) Alfred himself.
(c) A forger.
(d) A university professor.
8. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The laws of England.
(b) A narrative of the king's military activities.
(c) An account of the founding of London.
(d) A rudimentary phone book.
9. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
(a) North to the father, south to the son.
(b) South to the father, north to the son.
(c) East to the father, west to the son.
(d) West to the father, east to the son.
10. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
(a) Jason the Argonaut.
(b) Louis the Educated.
(c) Catherine the Peaceful.
(d) Charles the Bald.
11. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 871-901 A.D.
(b) 893-899 A.D.
(c) 871-899 A.D.
(d) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
12. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
(a) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
13. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
14. Where did Alfred have something built in 878?
15. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Asser write his <i>Life of King Alfred</i>?
2. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
3. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
4. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
5. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)