|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Asser never attempt to circulate his book?
(a) It was never finished.
(b) It was too expensive to print.
(c) He could not find a publisher.
(d) He knew Alfred would not approve.
2. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
3. In what district was Alfred the Great born?
4. Who of the following did NOT share the title "the Great" with Alfred?
5. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Eight months.
(d) A year.
6. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) His cousin.
(b) The local nobility.
(c) His brother.
7. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(b) More than 400.
8. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
9. Asser aided negotiations between Alfred the Great and ______.
(a) Welsh kings.
(c) English kings.
(d) Local nobility.
10. Who was Inglid's brother?
11. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
(a) Visit him often in order to keep him distracted.
(b) Seduce him.
(c) Sit with him on the throne until he died.
(d) Live with him in order to report all his activities to King Aethewulf.
12. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
(a) Pope Marinus baptized Alfred into the Roman Catholic Church.
(b) Alfred went to school with Marinus before he became pope.
(c) Pope Marinus was Alfred's spiritual advisor.
(d) They were friends.
13. What career did Asser have?
14. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) Not until the last fifty years or so.
(b) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(c) After the sixteenth century.
(d) Before the fifteenth century.
15. In what year did Asser meet Alfred the Great?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fought against the Vikings at Kent?
2. Where were the Vikings in 855?
3. What happened when King Alfred and his ally fought the Vikings?
4. When the king of the Vikings was captured, what did Alfred do to him?
5. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)