|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book served as a style guide for Asser's book?
(a) Einhard's Life of Charlemagne.
(b) Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.
(c) Seagrave's Dragon Lady.
(d) Atkinson's Gift of Stories.
2. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's siblings.
(b) Alfred's birth.
(c) Alfred's mother's family.
(d) Alfred's childhood.
3. When did Asser die?
(c) The exact date of his death is not known.
4. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Library system; public education.
(b) Police force; Empire.
(c) Royal Air Force; colonization.
(d) Navy; Empire.
5. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(b) Not until the last fifty years or so.
(c) After the sixteenth century.
(d) Before the fifteenth century.
6. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 871-899 A.D.
(b) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
(c) 893-899 A.D.
(d) 871-901 A.D.
7. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
8. Where were the Vikings in 855?
9. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
(a) They continued to be enemies.
(b) There was no relationship; the king of the Vikings was dead.
(c) They remained friends.
(d) He was Alfred's adoptive son.
10. Who was the king of the Vikings?
11. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
12. What did Asser aid Alfred the Great in creating for many in his kingdom?
(a) Law books.
(b) Translations of the Holy Bible.
(d) A census.
13. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
14. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
15. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(b) More than 400.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the condition of peace made with the Vikings?
2. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
3. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
4. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
5. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)