|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
2. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
3. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
4. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) A forger.
(c) Alfred himself.
(d) A university professor.
5. What annals were put together during and following Alfred's reign?
(a) The Wessex Annals.
(b) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(c) The Journals of Alfred the Great.
(d) The England Annals.
6. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) Whatever books were on hand.
(b) Books on history and politics.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Works of Shakespeare.
7. Where did Aethelstan slaughter the Viking army?
8. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
9. Asser traces Alfred's lineage all the back to whom?
(c) King David.
10. In addition to a priest, Asser was a ______.
11. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Celts.
(b) To the Scots.
(c) To the Northumbrians.
(d) Back to their homeland.
12. With whom did the Vikings make peace in 872?
(a) The Mercians.
(b) The Angles.
(c) The Saxons.
(d) The Northumbrians.
13. What did Asser later become?
(a) A bishop.
(b) A royal court attendant.
(c) A literary publisher.
(d) A university dean.
14. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
15. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's siblings.
(b) Alfred's birth.
(c) Alfred's mother's family.
(d) Alfred's childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
2. What did King Aethewulf order his wife to do when he and Alfred returned to the kingdom?
3. What is included in the annals put together during and following Alfred's reign?
4. After his capture, what was the relationship between Alfred the Great and the king of the Vikings?
5. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)