|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Charles the Bald.
(b) Jason of the Argonauts.
(d) Louis the XVI.
2. When was Alfred the Great born?
(a) The year of his birth is not known for sure.
3. Who was the king of the Vikings?
4. Where does Asser give some biographical details about himself?
(a) In the Life of King Alfred.
(b) In a letter about Life of King Alfred.
(c) In his journals.
(d) In his autobiography.
5. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(d) Overly formal.
6. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
7. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
8. When did Ceorl fight with the men of Devon?
9. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
10. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
11. What career did Asser have?
12. How many ships did the Vikings bring to England?
(c) More than 400.
13. Where did the Vikings go in 873?
(a) To the Scots.
(b) Back to their homeland.
(c) To the Northumbrians.
(d) To the Celts.
14. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) Alfred's sister.
(b) Alfred himself.
(c) A university professor.
(d) A forger.
15. What did Asser read aloud to Alfred the Great?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Works of Shakespeare.
(c) Books on history and politics.
(d) Whatever books were on hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
2. Who was Alfred the Great's father?
3. When did the Vikings leave East Anglia?
4. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
5. How long did Asser probably stay with Alfred?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)