|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I, Asser's Life of King Alfred, Paragraphs 33 - 90.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what estate was Alfred the Great born?
2. Asser's Life of King Alfred begins with Asser's dedication of the work to Alfred "ruler of all the ______ of the island of Britain, King of the Angles and Saxons."
3. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
(a) Before the fifteenth century.
(b) Sometime during the seventeenth century.
(c) After the sixteenth century.
(d) Not until the last fifty years or so.
4. Where did Alfred the Great fall among his siblings?
(c) The middle child.
(d) The third child.
5. Where was Asser from?
(a) Limerick, Ireland.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) St. David's in Wales.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
2. How did Asser learn of the various texts mentioned in his work?
3. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
4. What is not recorded in Asser's book?
5. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)