|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I, Asser's Life of King Alfred, Paragraphs 33 - 90.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
(a) An alliance developed between the two kingdoms.
(b) Balance of power changes started to favor Wessex over Mercia.
(c) The growing economic struggles in London's business center.
(d) The impact of the invasions in England.
2. Whom did Alfred the Great visit while passing through Carolingian France?
(a) Catherine the Peaceful.
(b) Jason the Argonaut.
(c) Charles the Bald.
(d) Louis the Educated.
3. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
4. What career did Asser have?
5. What audience did Asser have in mind when he wrote his book?
(a) Other kings.
(b) English people.
(c) Welsh people.
(d) Alfred's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Alfred the Great sent away in 853?
2. Who made peace with the Vikings after Aethelred died?
3. Where was Asser from?
4. How many Viking ships did Aethelstan capture?
5. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)