|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I, Asser's Life of King Alfred, Paragraphs 33 - 90.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(a) The local nobility.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His brother.
2. What chronicle did Asser use as a basis for his book?
(a) The New British Chronicle.
(b) The Welsh Chronicle.
(c) The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
(d) The Wessex Chronicle.
3. What kind of phraseology does Asser use in his book?
(a) Overly formal.
4. What is listed in paragraph two?
(a) Alfred's siblings.
(b) Alfred's birth.
(c) Alfred's mother's family.
(d) Alfred's childhood.
5. How many siblings did Alfred the Great have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nearly destroyed by the Vikings?
2. What work by Pope Gregory did Asser help translate?
3. When did Pope Marinus die?
4. When did Burgred, the new king of the Mercians, ask Aethewulf for help against the Vikings?
5. Where was Asser before he met Alfred?
This section contains 169 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)