|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, Miscellaneous Sources for the Reign of King Alfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the pope do to Alfred?
(a) Ordained him as a priest.
(b) Ex-communicate him.
(c) Anointed him as king.
(d) Blessed his military activities.
2. Whose Soliloquies did Alfred translate?
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) Pope Gregory's.
(c) Thomas Aquinas's.
(d) St. Francis's.
3. Where did the Vikings travel in 894?
4. Chapter II translates the annals that cover Alfred's life that pick up from ______?
(a) The birth of Alfred's son.
(b) The death of Asser.
(c) Where Asser's writing left off.
(d) Alfred's marriage.
5. Where did the Vikings go in 872?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the epithet "the Great" added to Alfred's name?
2. Why could the Vikings not remain where they went in 894?
3. What structures did Alfred build during his reign?
4. Who wrote the first work that Alfred had translated for himself?
5. What bishop translated a work by Pope Gregory for King Alfred?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)