|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, Miscellaneous Sources for the Reign of King Alfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the first portion of the second part of Alfred's money go?
(a) The school.
(b) The poor.
(c) His monasteries.
(d) Neighboring monasteries.
2. One historian theorized that Life of King Alfred was written by whom?
(a) A university professor.
(b) A forger.
(c) Alfred himself.
(d) Alfred's sister.
3. Alfred the Great promised ______ of his mental and bodily effort to God's service.
4. Into what language did a bishop translate Pope Gregory's work?
(c) Old English.
5. What was the relationship between Pope Marinus and Alfred the Great?
(a) Alfred went to school with Marinus before he became pope.
(b) Pope Marinus baptized Alfred into the Roman Catholic Church.
(c) They were friends.
(d) Pope Marinus was Alfred's spiritual advisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following themes does NOT characterize the political history of Anglo-Saxon England in the first half of the ninth century?
2. How was the kingdom split between father and son?
3. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
4. Many psalms express outrage with the author's enemies and pleas to God for ______.
5. Where did the Vikings fight the king of the Saxons, Aethelwulf and his son Aethelbald for a long time?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)